Menu

Purse size

jenn-

What size purse do you typically carry?  I am a smaller purse wearer and I was about to attempt to make some new purses to sell, but I realized I didn't know how big of a purse most ladies carry.  I'd love to get a feel about the outer dimensions on your favorite purse(s), guessing is okay.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

I recently downsized, which I discussed here: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/560120-minimizing-your-pursehandbag/

My new purse is about 8.5" wide, 4.5" tall, and when my stuff is in it, about 3.5" thick. I am really loving it so far, very liberating, but I'm not sure if there's a big market for such small purses. Certainly the majority I saw at the store were significantly larger.

• Like 1

Medium, but what's more important to me than purse size is whether it closes or not. If it doesn't seal closed I drop it upside down at some point and all the stuff falls out and then I get grouchy. 

Would you consider a messenger style closure with a snap a sufficient enough of a closure?  Zippers and I are sworn enemies, but I have defeated them in battle before.

I carry a larger sized purse with inside pockets for everything.  I tend to carry "everything I could possibly need in any given circumstance" due to several times in my life when I had nothing I needed for days, generally involving hospitals.

Or, you know, a  zombie apocalypse. ;)

I will definitely be adding pockets to any of my larger sized bags.  I haven't felt the need to put them on my smaller bags or my large totes.

This size is perfect for me: http://www.verabradley.com/browse/_/?Ntt=cargo+sling.  It's about 14" x 13" x 6".  Lots of pockets and a zippered closure are essential.  Do you have an Etsy shop?

That is a good reference size.  I do have an Etsy shop which has my crocheted work in it.  I just had renew all of my purses this morning as a matter of fact.  I hope to work on some cloth bags soon.

Thank you everyone for your replies so far.  They are really helping me to decide which size to try first. 

Thanks!  Are those your puppies in the pet section photos?  They are so adorable!   :001_wub:

Those are my puppies.  My Boston Terrier was a much more cooperative model then my Jack Russell Terrier.  She just had way too much energy to be told to sit still and look in the general direction of the camera. 

• Like 1

My current purse is (according to its maker) 12.5" x 9" x 4".  It's pretty much perfect for me.  I need something that can fit my tablet, my wallet, and a mini spiral notebook.  I also like interior pockets, so I can put small things and pencils in there and have a clear spot for my phone, and at least one exterior pocket for my keys.  I also have this thing where there needs to be a clear difference between front and back, so that I can find things without looking (because I always orient the purse the same way and I know which direction to go for my chapstick or whatever).

And suddenly I am feeling like I'm super demanding in what I want from a purse!  :laugh:

• Like 2

My bag requirements:

crossbody

big enough to hold my journal (size of a hardcover book)

has a good spot for my phone (so I hear it ring)

has a good spot for lip balm

Just this weekend I had to make myself a slightly bigger purse because my new journal didn't fit in my old one.

• Like 1

I just ordered this Travelon cross body bucket bag and haven't received it yet. It says it's 10" high and 14" wide and I hope it's considerably bigger than the one it's replacing, but not enormous. I was looking for a bag with two compartments--one for my stuff and one for my disabled dd's stuff that I need to carry with me--a diaper, travel wipes, her wallet. I'm hoping the zippered pouch on the back fits her stuff. My "wallet" is actually a filofax daytimer that stands vertical--hoping it fits vertical--I can slide out credit cards and library cards without pulling the whole thing out if it does. If it has a spot for my phone, kleenex, a pen, and loose change I'll be thrilled. http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Anti-Theft-Cross-Body-Bucket-Black/dp/B00C75L4O2/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1441743166&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=travelon+cross

I first fell in love with a Baggallini bag that looked perfect--two equal, zippered compartments. Then I saw it in person and it is tiny! I never checked the dimensions when I fell in love with it on Amazon.

I recently downsized,

My new purse is about 8.5" wide, 4.5" tall, and when my stuff is in it, about 3.5" thick.

Me too! I got sick of everyone stuffing their stuff in my purse. It's great to have a light bag with just the stuff that I need, nobody else's water bottle, books, phone, snack....

I carry my large wallet, a kindle paperwhite, a pen, my phone, a comb, gum and lip balm. That seems like a lot but it fits in a smallish bag with no problem.

• Like 1

My current purse is (according to its maker) 12.5" x 9" x 4". It's pretty much perfect for me. I need something that can fit my tablet, my wallet, and a mini spiral notebook. I also like interior pockets, so I can put small things and pencils in there and have a clear spot for my phone, and at least one exterior pocket for my keys. I also have this thing where there needs to be a clear difference between front and back, so that I can find things without looking (because I always orient the purse the same way and I know which direction to go for my chapstick or whatever).

And suddenly I am feeling like I'm super demanding in what I want from a purse! :laugh:

I have a multi digit expensive purse right now and I have to say, I LOVE those bags. They're so simple and functional and look really well made. I'm totally buying one, thanks for the link!

I have three sizes that I use depending on what I am doing and where I am going. What ever the size, it has to hold my wallet, keys and phone.  On average my size of purse is a mini backpack. It's cute and not too big or small, perfect for every day running around.

What size purse do you typically carry?  I am a smaller purse wearer and I was about to attempt to make some new purses to sell, but I realized I didn't know how big of a purse most ladies carry.  I'd love to get a feel about the outer dimensions on your favorite purse(s), guessing is okay.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Well, my "purse" needs to be able to contain stuff that goes in a wallet (driver license, Sam's/Costco card, AAA card, medical information card, cash, coins, etc.); my glasses, and my sun glasses, my keys, and a couple of pens/pencils (zippered pockets--a couple of those). I want to be able to close it fairly securely. I prefer a cross-body bag, and I prefer something a little more structured. Hobo-style bags...no. Those envelope-shaped bags...no (the glasses make odd bulges, lol). A pocket for my cell phone, especially one where I'll actually be able to hear that thing when someone calls, is a bonus. I have had purses with slots and whatnot such that the cards and cash can be tucked into them, so I don't need a wallet, but sometimes those don't have room for the keys (!?!) or the sunglasses. Sunglasses are not a fashion accessory for me, lol.

I keep hand cream, aspirin, nail files, all that extra kind of stuff, in the car and not in my purse.

Shape makes a difference, too. I just ordered a new purse (thanks Purpleowl!) but switched bags temporarily back to a cheapo favorite because my nice leather one was driving me nuts (D&B Florence Satchel - gorgeous but problematic). The cheapo bag is the same basic dimensions, maybe an inch or two wider at the top, but it is fabric and flexible. It opens up SO much more easily for access than the stiff leather. I found I couldn't fit half as much into the D&B as I wanted because I was limited by the width of the top by the zipper and the lack of flex. The cheapo bag has a wider top and narrower base, and no zipper, just a magnetic clasp - it fits everything with plenty of room to spare because of that better design. It also has more pockets and more zipper compartments.

Dimensions matter, so do materials. I have discovered I like structured fabric - no flimsy liner pockets sagging (that drives me nuts), but nothing rigid or too stiff, either. It's like goldilocks :D