Menu

What are you excited about this year?

Have we had one of these yet? Let's forget the worries and focus on the positives! (man I didn't realize this was so long- I tried to edit down but I'm just long winded sometimes!)

We started at the beginning of July and our finishing up our first term this week and I'm just thrilled so far with how everything is going so far. I have more energy(most of the time-fingers crossed it stays) and the baby is 2.5 and much less clingy and needy this year, making everything seem a lot more doable and enjoyable.

Our biggest change by far this year is doing more of the extras. I've tweaked up the schedule again and again and I believe we might have finally hit upon a good groove. My aim is to do one extra a day, that may be a Nature Walk, Science Activity, Art Lesson or Craft or various other projects. Before I was terrified that if I didn't do our core work first then it just wouldn't get done as I would run out of energy, now I have a found a compromise; around 11-11:30 we hit our project, leaving plenty of time to enjoy it before our usual 12:30-1pm lunch and not too much to do after our lunch break.

Although everything has been going well our loves have been all those extras:

Art- It started with Winter Promise Children Around the World, an easy resource with craft ideas built into the program. Quite quickly I realized it isn't all that complicated, while I'm not an art and craft genius there are plenty of people that are and I can borrow their genius. We've used books, youtube and various blogs- or any of the several ideas that I have come across my FB feed from all the art pages I'm following. I just keep a mental list running of things we might like to do and then when we have time I see what we feel like. We also do an Art Tango lesson a week, it's free and very simple and the girls always enjoy them.

Nature Study- Exploring Nature has been my favorite resource ever for this, it is simple really but then again it just pulls it all together and just made it click for me, we've done nature study since the beginning but it has been sporadically at times and absent at others, we are now on a solid and steady 1x a week schedule and enjoying it so much.

Bravewriter- I simultaneously realized that my son needed more structure and freedom with writing. Despite my previous failed attempts with Bravewriter we jumped in and tried it again/(Caveat- We added this 1.5 weeks ago but it has gone so amazing well I have to include it) For some reason it finally clicked to me that Bravewriter is an inspiration and ideology that I implement however I want. We're still working on tweaking it but so far we are all keeping journals and take time together each afternoon. During that time we may; silently read followed by sharing and copying favorite quotes, read and share the story, read or listen to poems and write them, freewrite  or enjoy a movie together. I don't stress about how it goes, there are no corrections, this is just something we enjoy together. The lesson is that stories, writing and words are enjoyable. We study the details in our formal lessons, although as I point out below my son has asked for my help with editing and I have of course been happy to oblige.

I have to C&P from our accountability thread, about our poetry time yesterday because it encapsulates it all, I'm still gobsmacked at how much my son is enjoying this time, my "I hate to write", "I'm not creative" son, I actually believe I'll have to increase our writing time to 10 min(we started at an easy 5). Yet again, as he did with his freewrite, he excitedly asked me to check for any mistakes and by golly he only had one, a misplaced homophone. He was eager to show his poem to all of our robotics moms and proudly placed his handwritten poem up on the door with a magnet for all to see.

Now we are doing these extra things but they have been implemented in a rather simple way so it doesn't feel burdensome and hat it has added to our day has been a richness that is hard to describe. I now feel like we are living out my vision, I wanted learning to be our life, an activity to be savored together, we had done that well in some ways but were lacking in others. Now I feel like it is coming in focus finally. I may be an oddity but it seems like I have a tendency to overthink things, sometimes I'm best served by just jumping in and going with it, even if I don't think I have it all figured out, we can adjust as needed.

Now, that is my, it's too early so I'm gushy thoughts. Perhaps it is just a result of experience finally kicking in but I feel my confidence with our schooling increasing by leaps and bounds this year. I feel more confident of my place as a teacher but also as a facilitator and partner and although we may at times use a lot of curriculum in a way we are very relaxed, I use sources as it suites us, taking what works and leaving the rest. I also accept that we have plenty we can improve as well. It's ok, progress not perfection and I can enjoy where we're at without stressing about where we should be(right?!). It can be easy to come on here and see all the wonderful things the rock-star WTM moms are doing and get discouraged but we are all in different places and there are many paths for success. 

• Like 10

Are you the one who got me turned on to Exploring Nature?  You were right, it IS just right!!!  My ds now thinks I'm a rock star, and I'm getting help to do the interconnected learning (hands-on plus content plus motion) that works for him.  For such a low price, it really is fabulous.  

The other sleeper for me has been the Picture Smart Bible K-3 curriculum.  We're doing the OT, and it is *just right* for him.  I had read other posts on the board with people saying don't bother, blah blah, but really for my ds (gifted with disabilities, almost 7 yo) it is a perfect fit.  It's getting him to do coloring, which he is loathe to do on his own but needs to do for the fine motor, and the dialogue in the text is just right and fits him really well.  I'm shocked, because I thought I was going to have to go back and use another story Bible or something.  No, we just read and do.  I'm excited about him having something nice to show people as his school work!  He has SLD writing, so he's not going to have beautiful papers and long handwritten stories necessarily, at least not for a while.  I printed the pages on white tagboard and after he colors them we slide them in page protectors.  That way he'll have a whole notebook of his pages to share, things he can explain and narrate back, which hits even more of our goals.  Awesome!

Btw, I have this theory (that I haven't gotten dd to bite on yet, but I'm going to try), that I can print the upper level Picture Smart Bible pages half size, so they seem more mature, and let her color them and put them in the half size notebooks.  I guess you could even do 4 pages to a page, which would be even smaller.  I think that study with big picture summary is good for anyone, so that's why I've been trying to figure out ways to bridge it to older students who might not want to color a full page, lol.

I got dd16 a half scale dress form and a bunch of books on fashion history, and I'm excited to see what she does with them.  The one book has breakouts every so often discussing how they made the garments, so I'm hoping she'll make them as she works her way through the book.  We're pairing it with world history readings, so it's a fun combination.  http://www.dressriteforms.com is where I got her half scale dress form, in case anyone later wonders.  The idea is you use less fabric and are able to scale it up to full size easily.  Apparently they use it in textile programs in colleges.  Pretty much all the money for her schooling this year went into this and math, what a contrast lol.  We'll see what happens with the math.  She is bound and determined to do it herself, not with me, so I've given her the only thing left (literally) that we haven't tried, MUS.  Yup.  But I guess I'm excited in the sense that, so far, she's actually doing it, and horrified at what happens if she doesn't.  If she doesn't, she's stuck with me, end of discussion, so she's quite motivated, lol.  Actually, I met Steve Demme at the convention this year, something I had never actually done for ALL the years I've gone.  I didn't realize, till I met him, why MUS would have been good for her.  He is so her, what a hoot.  Like I didn't have to even take her to the booth.  It was just, Hey dd, I met a man who knows everything about you and GETS it...   :lol:    So we'll see.  I'm skeptical on the end result of MUS, so I told her she can do MUS and repeat it with TT and that would be good enough for me.  We'll see.  Cruel I am.

• Like 5

I'm excited this week because my kids are going to do a restaurant review,  and I'm taking them to a French bakery.  Can't wait!!!!! 

I'm also really happy with how our daily schedule is working.  We are doing our "together" work in the morning before lunch, and then after lunch they are on their own to do the rest of their work.  I am available for one on one help if they need it.   This has really taken a weight off my shoulders. 

I'm excited about my simple planner, which is a book of blank lined paper, where I taped the attendance record to the inside front.  It's much simpler than the big binder that I used last year, and since I'm left handed, I don't have those rings getting in my way. 

• Like 4

That's a lovely post! It sounds like you've found some great things to fit your DC perfectly. :)

We're only into our second week, so I'm a bit nervous to say anything and have to eat crow 9 months from now...BUT...here's what we're enjoying so far:

MFW Creation to the Greeks- I love having the lesson plan and all of the books there for me! I always felt as though I was scrambling before. The DC are really enjoying physically *making* a timeline for the wall. Before this, they only had a timeline song memorized, with no visual concept of it.

JAG Mechanics. I have no idea about long term retention or putting it to practice in his other writing, but yesterday DS10 claimed 'I like this. It's easy.' Whew! :)

An abacus. DS4 informed me his favorite 'school' was 1) his abacus 2) math. So far, I'm just using the abacus to show him simple concepts, and to let him play with. Obviously, he doesn't even consider it math! If it keeps going this way, I may be forced to buy Right Start, which I've been resisting.

All of my things listed are new to us this year, which just makes the love sweeter. Good thread idea! Thanks for starting it. :)

• Like 4

HeWillSoar-Oh, my goodness I love the idea of a restaurant review, my kids would love that, too fun!

Oh, E- I made a thread about Exploring Nature so perhaps. I'll be excited to hear about what your daughter does with her fashion supplies, I can see that being a big hit with my 8yo in the future. I'm considering sewing classes for her now, she's always drawing some design. Getting your son to color, well I never mastered that one so I'm impressed! I am getting mine to start some art this year and that has monumental to us! LOL on the math, I understand that feeling, hopefully MUS will work for her, even if isn't your favorite!

MMASC- Thanks! Fwiw Right Start was such a great fit for my son when he was younger, we got a lot of use out of the abacus.

• Like 5

This isn't the beginning of our year, but we've just started doing a weekly free write and she's right into it. My mother comes along and does it too, and keeps coming out with poetry.  :huh:  I've skipped all the useful genes and can only write rants, thus far. :(  :laugh:

The girl is also enjoying the architecture lesson plans someone on here mentioned. She's now planning a career in business and property development. Our little town won't know itself by the time she's finished!

• Like 10

I'm really excited about doing some nature walks and art. 

I just bought Creative Nature Walks which seems to be a good fit.  Although, I may need to look into Exploring Nature.  :)

We've done 2 lessons in home art studio.  The kids keep asking for more.  Their excitement fuels my excitement.  :)

• Like 3

When I started the worries thread, once I saw how many worries we have collectively, I figured I should try and balance those worries with excitement. I just never got the chance - so glad you took the initiative soror! :)

I'm excited for:

DSD9: REWARDS Intermediate. We've only done two days worth but I think it's going to be a great fit for her. Really hoping it makes a difference. Having said that, we're waiting for a referral from our small town's pediatrician to go through so we can figure out what the next best thing to do is, with regards to her reading woes.

DS8: Science and nature study I have planned for this year. We're doing RSO Chem 1 and it's got a ton of demonstrations and activities, which he adores. Plus he LOVES to be outside and LOVES to draw, so the Nature Connections modeled nature study should be right up his alley.

DS6: I'm excited to see what the heck this kid comes up with next. He's already reading books both his older siblings balk at reading. I thought we would work through Mr. Putter and Tabby together but he blew through the first few chapters while I was helping a sibling. This was how I was as a first grader too and I'm so relieved that at least one of my kids is reading well. Maybe I'm not doing something wrong after all?

DS2 1/2: No, I'm NOT doing formal academics with her lol! But she is a HUGE part of our school day so I wanted to through in that I'm excited about the fact that her room time is going way better than I imagined it would. I have a 5 big bins of toys (one for each day of the week) and I lay them out for her while they're all having a snack. She stayed in her room with no problems at all for 30 minutes the first day and 45 the second. Hope that keeps up!

Me: I listened to Sarah Mackenzie's loop scheduling and block scheduling webinars and came away with the idea of doing only history for one week, then only science for another week in our one-hour block right before lunch. I've always gone back and forth history on Monday and Wednesday, Science on Tuesday and Friday for example. This way, I think, we'll be able to dig in a little more, focus a little more and the prep for the week will be a little easier. Also, I've started a loop schedule for morning time around the breakfast table. These are all extra little things I don't worry about "getting done". Things like Burgess Bird Book, What the World Eats, How to Behave and Why, and The Story of the Orchestra.

• Like 2

I'm excited about DH and DD having a new "project space" set up in the basement. He's much better about spur of the moment science than I am, so the space should get put to good use. And DH was mentioning looking up some basic physics demonstrations and experiments, so I handed him BFSU and he may take over a chunk of the physical science thread.

I'm excited about Field Trip Friday. I had all these wonderful intentions to do field trips last year and we never seemed to get to them. This year, we've put aside every Friday for a field trip. We wrote down all the places we intend to go on Popsicle sticks and we're pulling one every week.

Our fairy tale project is going better than I dared to hope. I'm taking this one project from BraveWriter's Jot It Down and carrying it throughout the year. We choose one fairy tale per month, read several versions of it, then DD dictates and illustrated her own version. Our first month was a near disaster as DD turned out to completely hate all forms of Rumpelstiltskin, but Puss in Boots and Red Riding Hood have worked wonderfully.

I'm excited about starting Beast Academy, though it's a few months off yet - we need to get through RightStart C first.

DD says she is most excited about using Blood and Guts by Linda Allison for part of our science. She also has started really enjoying DuoLingo for Spanish.

• Like 2

This isn't the beginning of our year, but we've just started doing a weekly free write and she's right into it. My mother comes along and does it too, and keeps coming out with poetry.  :huh:  I've skipped all the useful genes and can only write rants, thus far. :(  :laugh:

The girl is also enjoying the architecture lesson plans someone on here mentioned. She's now planning a career in business and property development. Our little town won't know itself by the time she's finished!

Please tell me more about the architecture lesson plans!  That sounds like something my son would like.

• Like 3

We have been using/planning to use public school texts for science. I love the IDEA of BFSU, but wouldn't be able to implement. 

We pulled out the 2nd grade science text yesterday and it's so freaking boring. SO BORING. 

Forget that. I just went to Brainpop and they have the objectives for every state and every grade listed out with the videos that meet each standard. Every video has quizzes and often activities. My kids LOOOOVE brainpop. We're using that as our spine/jumping off point instead. Hallelujah! 

And I just realized that I have added something else besides spelling that can be done totally independently some of the time! Whoo hoo!

• Like 4

I'm happy that writing is going well. We had a lot of fun with CW Homer last year, and I've been able to get back into the kind of happy tampering that makes it work for us.

French, which I was worried about, is going very well. It's actually fun, it fits into the time slot I gave it, and everyone enjoys it.

I'm also happy that we have been able to keep up with our read aloud this summer; we are set to finish it this week. 400+ pages, Jane Eyre, and we've kept at it, enjoyed it and watched my favorite movie adaptation. Great fun. Now I've got to decide what to read next!

I've got something working for history and science, and am tailoring it to fit, to provide challenge but not frustration or fatigue. At least I've got something, and sometimes, that's a big thing.

ETA: Also very excited about The Artist's Way and getting my creative writing going again. Some of the exercises are liable to spill over into school, and I hope that the boys benefit from that.

• Like 3

Our fairy tale project is going better than I dared to hope. I'm taking this one project from BraveWriter's Jot It Down and carrying it throughout the year. We choose one fairy tale per month, read several versions of it, then DD dictates and illustrated her own version. Our first month was a near disaster as DD turned out to completely hate all forms of Rumpelstiltskin, but Puss in Boots and Red Riding Hood have worked wonderfully.

DD1 did that project last year and enjoyed it, I think I'm going to do it again with all 3 of my oldest, what a great idea to turn it into a year long project, she'll have some nice keepsakes with her own books. Rumplestilkin is a huge hit for my kids, I remember vacation time when dd2 was 3.5 and she would be reciting bits of Rumplestilkin to the cashiers, dd2 has a fondness for the dark side, she is also the one that likes Nightmare before Christmas!

I think that free writes are often rants at first.  Then people get that out of their systems and move on.  It's a process!

LOL. I started the kids with the topic of, "What do have to do that you think you shouldn't." Ds made an impassioned plea that he shouldn't have chores, dd1 rallied against writing, and I on the other hand lobbied for a break from cleaning. 

4th Grade Literature! The selections starting in 3rd and especially 4th start getting really good. 

We're enjoying The Phantom Tollbooth right now. Literal and figurative language is so much fun. 

And Chemistry! They have been begging for chemistry. Dare I day we'll finish RSO Chemistry early?! That'll be a first!

We really enjoyed Phantom Toolbooth when we read it a few years ago, I was just thinking the other day that I should read it to him again as I'm sure he missed a good chunk of the references the first time but it was enjoyed anyway. Oh, and Lit, oh my goodness, I thought of this after the fact, we are soaking in good books. We're loving RA time, although ds keeps complaining that I'm torturing him by not reading entire books in one sitting. We've had one fabulous book after another and now dd's are getting old enough for rereads of some of my favorites that I read ds when he was younger.

Don't you love it when they beg for school? We're using Bite-Size Physics as a spine this year and we're really liking it too, it might be the first full science program that we complete but we are just doing it 1x a week and then adding in books, movies, etc on the other days.

• Like 2

I'm SOO excited about outsourcing math and science and being able to focus on my strengths as a teacher. Literature and history are my thing and I'm so relieved I won't have to spend hours re-teaching myself material I've forgotten in other subjects this year. :) I'm thinking "Go with your strengths!" will be the motto of the year for everyone. 

• Like 4

We just barely started, so I am sure this will be upended...

DS 11: His writing tutor started Jump In with him over the summer, and he seems to be doing well with it. He wrote a very funny paragraph as part of ten-minute prompt yesterday. The order was logical. He had transitions. The points made sense, and drumroll...it had an intro and a conclusion, which is huge for him. (It requires a bit of abstraction that just doesn't come naturally.) I am not certain he could do an intro and conc on purpose, but this is a big deal anyway. HIs tutor and I have both noticed that, in spite of his dysgraphia, he does many tasks better if he's actually doing the writing (no scribing, no computer). This seems to be the case for writing prompts as well as for grammar (I'm dictating sentences for work on mechanics). He fiddles too much with technology (composition), and with the grammar mechanics, correcting something someone else wrote seems to just cross wires in his brain. It's like he can do the exercise, but the distraction of it makes the lesson just bounce right back out of his head. He has decided on his own to work through Wordsmith Apprentice, which we started last year but stalled out on. He's having fun with it. He loves Uncle Sam and You (Notgrass) so far. He seems to be taking responsibility for a lot of his work, which is a good trend from last year. 

DS 7: 50 States and Where to Find Them...so far, so good. I think it's for slightly older kids, so I am modifying a bit. He seems to like it. He recently started to get into reading Beatrix Potter. 

• Like 3

I'm excited about our literature/English plans. We can't follow one curriculum for the entire year, it seems, but my cobbled together plan involves about half of Lightning Literature 7, Adventures in Fantasy (a writing curriculum where the student writes their own novel), daily journaling, plus several Boomerang units from Bravewriter and a few literature units from Moving Beyond the Page. I've always struggled to use MBtP's stuff - it seems like too much to do, but we finally buckled down and did a whole unit (Poetry 9-11) and DD has been putting on different versions of the final project ever since. If nothing else, it speaks to her creative side. I had to totally abandon my original plan for the year because it made everyone miserable - R&S English and Maxwell's School Composition. We are just not meant to follow the traditional WTM recommendations, it seems. Now I just have to threaten to bring out "the blue book" (R&S 5) if she complains about doing her English and DD suddenly decides that her current assignment isn't so bad!

I'm also excited about finally getting around to art more than once every 3 months. It's another thing I've cobbled together (I'm sensing a theme here) with some of the ArtPacs plus DeepSpaceSparkle and Mark Kistler's stuff, and some other drawing books. We're halfway through a painting project, and even if we can only get to it on the weekends, at least it's getting done. DD really needs more creative outlets than she was getting in the last few months. 

DD has been exceptionally excited about joining choir this year, despite some major trepidation about it between sign-ups and first rehearsal. She loves to sing, but had never done it either in a group or in front of an audience that didn't consist of family members. She is also planning on competing in the Junior Olympics (tumbling) this year, which I'm both nervous and excited about. Her coach thinks she will be able to attend, barring any major accidents (DD broke her ankle last year, and missed two months of training). 

• Like 4

I'm excited about our literature/English plans. We can't follow one curriculum for the entire year, it seems, but my cobbled together plan involves about half of Lightning Literature 7, Adventures in Fantasy (a writing curriculum where the student writes their own novel), daily journaling, plus several Boomerang units from Bravewriter and a few literature units from Moving Beyond the Page...................................

I'm also excited about finally getting around to art more than once every 3 months. It's another thing I've cobbled together (I'm sensing a theme here) with some of the ArtPacs plus DeepSpaceSparkle and Mark Kistler's stuff, and some other drawing books. We're halfway through a painting project, and even if we can only get to it on the weekends, at least it's getting done. DD really needs more creative outlets than she was getting in the last few months. 

That writing book looks interesting, I have on my maybe some day list Cover Story or One Year Adventure Novel but all of mine are too young, I'll be excited to hear how you like it. 

I have a horrible time following anything as written too, I think we are in good company here :)

• Like 2

Assigned Independent Reading (A.I.R.) -- student has a binder with her reading assignments across categories: Bible, Science, Biography, Literature, Civics/Geography, History, Math, and Composers & Artists. This is working out so well, and the girls love it.

Composer Study -- We're using the Zeezok books & CDs for Bach, Handel & Haydn, along with Get to Know the Great Composers and Color the Classics: Godly Composers. We hadn't "made time" for composer & artist study before (we tried), but this year, I can see how wonderful it is, and worth making the time to do.

Artist Study -- We're using the Artist Portfolios from Simply Charlotte Mason (da Vinci, Michelangelo, Monet). We haven't started these yet, but I'm still thinking it will be enjoyable and worth doing. We haven't done much artist study or art history before. I wish I knew more about this.

History -- We're working through Mystery of History (Volume 1), along with SOTW (girls listen to CDs on their own). We also are gradually acquiring and reading through books for our Ancient History Bookshelf. Up until now, we've studied American history and World Cultures. I thought I would dread teaching Ancients, but I am enjoying it as much as the girls! :) And I think they are at the perfect age for this, so it's exciting.

Science -- We're starting our year off with the Memoria Press course, What's That Bird? I like it more than I thought I would when it came in the mail, if you KWIM. ;) We have some bird song CDs which are lovely.

AWANA -- I admit it, I'm excited about AWANA. We haven't done this before, either. A local church has this ministry, and the girls have been there for VBS and other things. They are excited about AWANA, too, so it's contagious. LOL.

CLE Math -- I think a better word for this would be "thankful." Yes, for CLE Math, I am thankful. And maybe even a little bit excited. ;)

• Like 3

Composer Study -- We're using the Zeezok books & CDs for Bach, Handel & Haydn, along with Get to Know the Great Composers and Color the Classics: Godly Composers. We hadn't "made time" for composer & artist study before (we tried), but this year, I can see how wonderful it is, and worth making the time to do.

Artist Study -- We're using the Artist Portfolios from Simply Charlotte Mason (da Vinci, Michelangelo, Monet). We haven't started these yet, but I'm still thinking it will be enjoyable and worth doing. We haven't done much artist study or art history before. I wish I knew more about this.

I have CDs of the Great Composers that tell their life interspersed with their music, so far we've just listened here and there. I didn't even think of a coloring book to go with that, that might help them with keeping their attention, my next thought was to put it in the van so we can listen while driving, it is 60 min and we seem to keep making it through the first 20 min before losing our attention!

For artist study we are getting together once a month for painting a classic together with friends, as it is I have several books reserved from the library on our first artist and was planning on doing a once a week project on the artist, I'd planned to just keep it that simple. I wonder if the Portfolio would be worth it for me? The books have examples of his work, perhaps I just need to look for some CM artist study tips. 

• Like 3

I've taken to packing one of our composer CD's for trips that will be an hour or hour and a half. I like having a captive audience. :D

I thought of another thing I'm excited about. I'm excited about taking a little trip a few times a month. We don't get out, and overnight is never an option with our older animals and their chronic medical conditions. But there is no reason we can't go visit a stream, or a mountain, or national forest on Sunday afternoons. We are surrounded by quiet, out-of-the-way, beautiful places. It's high time we took time to just go, walk, sit around, or play!  I'm coming to a new appreciation of just how valuable "doin' nothin'" time really is.

• Like 3

I have CDs of the Great Composers that tell their life interspersed with their music, so far we've just listened here and there. I didn't even think of a coloring book to go with that, that might help them with keeping their attention, my next thought was to put it in the van so we can listen while driving, it is 60 min and we seem to keep making it through the first 20 min before losing our attention!

For artist study we are getting together once a month for painting a classic together with friends, as it is I have several books reserved from the library on our first artist and was planning on doing a once a week project on the artist, I'd planned to just keep it that simple. I wonder if the Portfolio would be worth it for me? The books have examples of his work, perhaps I just need to look for some CM artist study tips. 

The girls listen in the play room while they play with dolls and ponies. Or Legos. Or something. Actually, I don't know what they do down there, but I hear the music wafting up through the floorboards, so it's all good. The CDs are well-done, but even I could never get through more than 20 minutes if I was simultaneously staring at a wall.

I like the SCM artist study portfolios. We haven't started using them yet. We're just starting our year, so we're still on Bach. Our line-up will alternate: Composer--Artist--Composer--Artist--Composer--Artist.

I think the weeks we study the artists will be different from the composer weeks. Quieter, for one thing. ;) But listening to Toccata and Fugue in D Minor at top volume was a liberating experience, and well-worth annoying my husband over it.

• Like 3

So far we're just excited about "doing school".  We started with DS4 after his many requests with some gentle math and phonics, and lots of reading out loud and active play.  We're doing Saxon K, which we love and is very developmentally appropriate.  After going extremely fast through the beginning, he hit some new material and we're slowed down, but you can just see him glow as he masters each new thing, and he looks for the chance to try out his new knowledge in real life.  He was so proud when he was able to figure out which was our hotel room when we told him what number we were staying in.  For phonics, after a lot of back and forth, we're using OPGTR.  I like that there aren't any bells or whistles to fool around with (especially given the number of moving parts Saxon Math has), and he likes being able to suddenly read three letter words.  Anyway, it's all exciting for us, although I know most of you all are doing much more serious school right now!  DH has bitten off teaching him his catechism, and it's fun watching them bond over the shamrock and the trinity and all of that -- and I'm glad that DS has a male role model of being serious about his faith, since most of the auxiliiary roles at our church are filled by women.

LMC

• Like 3

This might be helpful: How we do picture study :)

• Like 2

This might be helpful: How we do picture study  :)

Great thanks!

I am excited about stepping up my daughter's narrations, after having read this inspiring post.

That is beautiful. We are doing some more journaling this year but I don't think doing exactly that way would suite us quite exactly but it is an inspiration to keep in mind, especially for my daughters. I've figured out my daughter loves incorporating drawing into her work.

• Like 1

I am tutoring a CC Challenge class this year and we are loving it. Henle Latin has proven to be do-able and FUN (after a couple years priming (vaguely listening while older ds did it) with First Form. Both kids have stepped up their game a bit due to positive peer pressure of the class/ not wanting to fall behind. 

We are also doing a co-op and focusing on entrepreneurialism and music/art timeline. We're dividing the kids into teams for the biz class and setting them loose. The goal is to have 2 viable businesses going by the end of the year. Art is my thing so super excited about it. 

• Like 1

Hello,

What am I excited about this year?  Well, my 8 yr old son is actually enjoying his school so far this year!  A huge accomplishment from last year.  I decided to take the summer off.  I think that made a huge difference.  Something I haven't done in the past.

Renee

• Like 3