Menu

Well, isn't THIS a lovely aspect of being 47...

Susan Wise Bauer

Magnesium and l-theanine. You might have to try a few types of magnesium to find one that's right for you. Some are too hard on your stomach or have a laxative effect. Also, eat 4 small carrots or 1 large carrot every day. The fiber in carrots has some hormone balancing effects. Sounds crazy but Google carrots and perimenopause. There's some interesting research out there.

Ok, this was nice, but I've only one hour left of being 47, so your range needs to expand.  Sooner or later the rest of you 47s will join me...

(And I'm only up now due to having been at a friend's house for most of the evening - enjoying catching up.  No chance of sleeping in tomorrow either - birthday or not.  My body will see no reason to making an exception to the time it gets up in the morning.  I'll get through tomorrow with either a nap or caffeine!)

:party: Happy Birthday!  

• Like 3

One more thought - I just remembered something a friend told me recently. She started having this waking up business and realized it happens when she has a drink in the evening. She said red wine was especially bad, but any alcohol would cause her to wake in the wee hours.

:party: Happy Birthday!  

Thanks!  I see this thread has been way too quiet through the nighttime hours...  I've been awake for about an hour now.  I know I'm tardy getting here, but I did that required "try to go back to sleep" for a little bit, and then there are cat needs that simply can't wait until after anything - though they do let me use the bathroom first - a little impatiently, but not like when I get screamed at (meow-style) if I attempt anything ELSE before them.

I will probably go shower soon considering folks at church might appreciate a cleaner me.

One more thought - I just remembered something a friend told me recently. She started having this waking up business and realized it happens when she has a drink in the evening. She said red wine was especially bad, but any alcohol would cause her to wake in the wee hours.

I can have one drink, but a second drink tends to wake me up.

Thanks!  I see this thread has been way too quiet through the nighttime hours...  I've been awake for about an hour now.  I know I'm tardy getting here, but I did that required "try to go back to sleep" for a little bit, and then there are cat needs that simply can't wait until after anything - though they do let me use the bathroom first - a little impatiently, but not like when I get screamed at (meow-style) if I attempt anything ELSE before them.

I will probably go shower soon considering folks at church might appreciate a cleaner me.

I slept last night. Didn't wake up until 5:30 and was able to somewhat go back to sleep after. Nice.

• Like 1

I slept last night. Didn't wake up until 5:30 and was able to somewhat go back to sleep after. Nice.

I seriously can't remember the last time I slept until 5:30 whether waking up earlier or not.

There was a time a couple of years back when the boys, hubby, & I were staying on the beach in St Pete, FL.  I had told everyone I'd get them up for a morning walk, but I didn't actually wake up until 7am.  I still beat them up, but not the sun.  We all wondered if I was coming down with something... That's the only one that comes to mind though - for years.

Happy Birthday, Creekland!

Alcohol may make me sleepy but I rarely get a good nights rest after I drink alcohol. It seems like I always end up waking earlier than normal to use the bathroom when any alcohol is involved. That means I am up for awhile.

• Like 1

47 next month and I've been going through this for the past year.  Yes, between 2:30-3 am I'm up and done sleeping for the night.  What's up with that?  I, too, fall asleep immediately.  

So far, nothing has worked. I won't take medication...yet.  Ambien did weird stuff to my dh.  Really weird.  I'd stay away from that.

I'm 49 & for the past six months or so I've been sleeping every other night.  One night I toss & turn all night.  The next night I almost pass out as I'm so tired.  It's NOT fun.  A month ago I read about how magnesium helps with sleep, so I tried that.  I mistakenly thought that more was better & was taking 400mg high strength each evening.  Well, I'm now fully aware that magnesium is a very good laxative.  I'm back to sleeping on alternate nights.  I really should get up & do something, rather than tossing & turning, but then DH wakes up & two of us are cranky in the morning from lack of sleep. 

Well, I've always been the same kind of sleeper as you normally are.  I had some of the waking up in the night, but it is very infrequent.  I will do some praying in bed and fall back asleep, or if I'm wide awake, I generally go read for an hour or so, and then I manage to get back to sleep. 

I used to take a Benadryl every night, until the report came out about its effects on memory with long-term use.  Right now I'm taking 1/2 Zyrtec every night instead - it does the same thing without the memory side-effect.

When I wake in the middle of the night (which used to happen quite frequently), I do a body-scan meditation which puts me back to sleep.  You could try a guided scan with earbuds, but I just do one without guidance.

A few days ago, I fell asleep mid-sentence reading The Lightening Thief to ds. It frightened him. He jumped up and said, "What?! Are you okay?" I was all, "Huh? What? Oh! Um..."

I swear, I think I'm a narcoleptic sometimes.

A few days ago, I fell asleep mid-sentence reading The Lightening Thief to ds. It frightened him. He jumped up and said, "What?! Are you okay?" I was all, "Huh? What? Oh! Um..."

I swear, I think I'm a narcoleptic sometimes.

I haven't read the whole thread but.....

Falling asleep like that can be a symptom of a sleep disorder, like Sleep Apnea. It is worth asking for a sleep study!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Susan, I forgot to mention cats.

Insomnia isn't the most humane reason in the world to take on the responsibility of a pet, but if you already have the beasts, it might help to let them sleep in your bed.

They're soft and they make relaxing noises.

• Like 2

Regular exercise is best, generally.  

The tricky thing is what to do when you wake up to help you fall asleep again and not feel funky the next morning. I don't like to use it too often, but I've had the best experience with Xanax. There was someone who posted here once about her doctor recommending Xanax for night waking that was within a few hours of when you have to get up in the morning, so I tried it and it does work very well. I can take it within three or four hours of waking up in the morning and I feel fine. I only need half the smallest dose pill. My doctor thinks it's safe for me to use more or use everyday. He also recommended something to take before bedtime, but I prefer using something only when I really need to.

Melatonin caused my heart to race.

L-theanine is supposed to help people with night waking but it gave me psychedelic colors with my eyes closed. Too freaky for me.

Benedryl is helpful, but no so great to get you through the night or when used within a few hours of waking up. Zombie-inducing.

Bach's rescue remedy is gentle with no side effects upon waking but if I use it repeatedly it will irritate my stomach.

This didn't hit me until I turned 50.  However, I couldn't get to sleep in the first place and would stay up to 1AM to 2AM.  I also developed RLS and ADD-type tendencies (couldn't concentrate on any one thing - always had multiple thoughts flowing threw my poor brain).

Now, at 51, I've just recently started taking a comprehensive B-complex vitamin from Emerald Laboratories.  I no longer have the RLS and sleep much better.  The scattered thoughts and inability to concentrate has also lessened greatly.

In honor of this thread, I awoke repeatedly last night and then was awake from 4:30-6 am.

So why weren't you on the insomnia thread???   :toetap05:   Even with the time zone difference, we could have had a little time together before I headed out to do chores.  :coolgleamA:

Tomorrow at 6am I have to be getting the others up for breakfast.  Junior's flight leaves at 10:45.

Starting Wed I leave for school at 6:45, but chances are I'll still be on for at least a little bit before school.  I doubt I'll suddenly be able to sleep in!  I will, however, need to shower before school rather than after chores.  (Hubby does morning chores - except cats - when I go to school.  He gets up so late I'm not even positive he knows HOW to feed the cats.  They aren't sure either.  Even later in the day they'll ask me if they need food.  They'll only ask him for door or ear rubbing service.  He's actually the only one they'll ask to open doors for them if he's home.  Apparently he's much better at it than I am. :glare: )

• Like 1

So why weren't you on the insomnia thread???   :toetap05:   Even with the time zone difference, we could have had a little time together before I headed out to do chores.  :coolgleamA:

Because it was so much more fun to stay in bed pondering over the fact that my sons had likely done no Spanish homework all last week, and I had no idea how to turn it in anyway because Landry Academy is the opposite of intuitive.   :lol:

• Like 2

My first thought was Don Quixote. I have probably spent more time trying to read that book than Cervantes spent writing it.

:D. You and me both.

I turned 33 two days ago, and I've been dealing with insomnia for years. Oddly enough, it started about the same time my oldest was born and hasn't gone away in 8 years. *sigh* I don't see it going away anytime soon, either.

• Like 1

Save the scotch for moderating the forums. You'll need it.  :leaving:

I usually read something very dry and factual. You know how when you have littles and they wake in the middle of the night you make it as boring as possible to be awake at 3 am? You have to do the same with your mind. When all else fails I generally take some Valerian. This works most of the time.

I have a very messed up sleep schedule, though. I was raised by a single mom who supported us by throwing a paper route, and she'd load us in the car every morning at 2-3 am and we'd sleep in the back seat while she delivered papers. My brain 30 years later still partially wakes up and gets ready to roll papers and take a nap before school. My neurologist would love to give her a talking to about what she did to our brain's sleep rhythms doing that, but we had to eat. *shrugs*

Possibly tryptophan and maybe GABA--see The Anti-Anxiety Food Solution by Trudy Scott (the book is about more issues than anxiety, and more solutions than food).

Or oral, bioidentical progesterone from a functional medicine doctor/compounding pharmacy.

An acupuncturist will say that the exact time of the insomnia yields clues to the body system causing the problem . . .

• Like 1

I'm only 29, but I do this too. I decided to go to bed early so that when I do wake up in the middle of the night, I can clean my house. After a bowl of cereal, I go back into bed after 2 hours and sleep until the morning. Morning for me is about 9:30am. So if I fall asleep at 12am, wake up at 3am go back to sleep by 5am, I still receive sufficient sleep. I used to think it was a bad thing but after so many years, I'm really okay with it.

Unlike what doctors and old studies used to claim, scientists are discovering that sleep is much more lenient than originally thought. It's called biphasic or polyphasic sleep and it's totally normal and not unhealthy as long as you can go throughout your day alert and not fatigued.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

:D. You and me both.

I turned 33 two days ago, and I've been dealing with insomnia for years. Oddly enough, it started about the same time my oldest was born and hasn't gone away in 8 years. *sigh* I don't see it going away anytime soon, either.

Not all that odd, really. Google serotonin deficiency.

I'm glad Susan found what helps her.

Since she started this post, I started having big sleep problems again. It took me some time to realize I had stopped my allergy med and the returning sleep issue coincided with that. Then I started with a small child's dose of benedryl before bed and my problems went away. I don't know if it's the antihistimine action or the sedating effect that's helping. I have a confirmed dust mite allergy so it makes sense that I could be having allergy issues in my bed. Now I'm wondering if it's better to stick with the Benedryl or go back to Claritin. Is one less likely to cause problems long term?

I'm glad Susan found what helps her.

Since she started this post, I started having big sleep problems again. It took me some time to realize I had stopped my allergy med and the returning sleep issue coincided with that. Then I started with a small child's dose of benedryl before bed and my problems went away. I don't know if it's the antihistimine action or the sedating effect that's helping. I have a confirmed dust mite allergy so it makes sense that I could be having allergy issues in my bed. Now I'm wondering if it's better to stick with the Benedryl or go back to Claritin. Is one less likely to cause problems long term?

Two links that might help answer your question:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/common-anticholinergic-drugs-like-benadryl-linked-increased-dementia-risk-201501287667

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2015/02/01/where-can-i-find-a-list-of-anticholinergic-drugs/

Bummer for allergy sufferers.

Thanks for this!!!

Yes, this really stinks for people with allergies, not to mention high blood pressure, emotional problems, etc. 

I did see some things on the list that my grandmother with dementia has taken.

I wonder if taking an acetylcholine supplement would help to counteract the effect.

Bummer is right.  If I don't keep my allergies under control I start getting asthma attacks and wind up in the hospital.  I've tried them all over the years and Benedryl works the best without mood and personality side effects.  I only take 1/2 a dose/1 pill and only as needed which seems like it would be better than Allegra, Claritin , and Zyrtec  which you need to take consistently for them to work.

Claritin doesn't work for me at all, Allegra and Zyrtec work but I feel like I'm losing my mind.  Same with Singulair which I tried for a while.

• Like 1

Dh is trying Alteril tonight. OTC containing some amino acids, tryptophan, melatonin and valerian.

Let us know how it goes. 

As I sit here debating whether or not to take the nigthy-night teaspoon of kid's Benedryl...after having taken an allegra earlier today and still feeling stuffy.

Bummer is right.  If I don't keep my allergies under control I start getting asthma attacks and wind up in the hospital.  I've tried them all over the years and Benedryl works the best without mood and personality side effects.  I only take 1/2 a dose/1 pill and only as needed which seems like it would be better than Allegra, Claritin , and Zyrtec  which you need to take consistently for them to work.

Claritin doesn't work for me at all, Allegra and Zyrtec work but I feel like I'm losing my mind.  Same with Singulair which I tried for a while.

I vote for not winding up in the hospital.

Maybe if we drink coffee and exercise, it will help balance out the dementia risk of Benedryl.

• Like 3

Say yer prayers, Rabbit.

Listen to podcasts of soporific speakers or mind-numbing topics.

Get a Kindle Paperwhite and prop it up so you can read with your head on the pillow so you can just drift off.

Yeah...sleep deprivation stinks. I've had it most of my life. :0/

As to the first suggestion, I know a writer who embraced this practice and it has totally enriched her life.

I vote for not winding up in the hospital.

Maybe if we drink coffee and exercise, it will help balance out the dementia risk of Benedryl.

Yes, breathing is not optional! I think you have a good point, tiramisu, about adopting therapeutic lifestyle changes to combat the ill effects. Not everyone is in the position to choose to tough out the discomforts of allergies; for many, meds are absolutely required.
  • Like 1

Alteril was a huge fail for Dh! Made him dizzy and restless and generally feeling weird. He slept from 11-2 and that was it.

So we know that Ambien, Trazadone and Alteril do NOT work for him. All cause bad side effects and none help him to sleep. Basic melatonin doesn't seem to have much effect. Benadryl does help him go to sleep, but not stay asleep.

Clonazepam does help and he usually gets 4-5 hrs if he takes it, but it is intended for short term use and doesn't solve the problem. He will likely take it tonight and tomorrow so he can feel close to normal and functional. His doc is supposed to call today or tomorrow with a new plan. Dh willl continue to have some acupunture sonce he can do that relatively inexpensively and anything to help with stress is good.

Magnesium oil rubbed on the back of the neck and legs.

It's transdermal and better taken that way than ingested.

I make my own for $1.50 a bottle instead of $35! It's super easy to make. You just need magnesium chloride flakes.

It has stopped my son's night- terrors too!!!!

• Like 1

Magnesium oil rubbed on the back of the neck and legs.

It's transdermal and better taken that way than ingested.

I make my own for $1.50 a bottle instead of $35! It's super easy to make. You just need magnesium chloride flakes.

It has stopped my son's night- terrors too!!!!

Recipe? And, where does one acquire magnesium chloride flakes?

• Like 1