Menu

What to wear to a wedding

fairfarmhand

That is a pretty dress.  But I would not wear it to a wedding.  As far as I know, it's considered poor form to wear a white dress to a wedding (unless of course one is the bride).  I suppose it could be that in middle TN that does not hold.  But, I think my MIL (George born and raised) would be scandalized.  She's old, though.

• Like 3

The whole "don't wear white b/c that's the bride's color" thing is outdated, as is the "don't wear white after Labor Day" rule. I was so happy when I realized years ago that I could actually wear white shoes and carry a white handbag in April and September if I chose to, lol!

Wear whatever color suits you. I think it's pretty!

THANK YOU! I don't know things like this. This it what I needed to hear.

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/burlingtoncoatfactory/Women/Sequin-Lace-Sarong-Style-Dress-274091090.aspx

I found a blue version of that dress and I've ordered it.

I'd embarrass myself without the hive.

That is a really pretty dress too, and much more appropriate.  Or maybe I should say, safer.

At my wedding, one of the guests (my brother's girlfriend) wore a pale green dress overlaid with white lace.  I didn't really care but a lot of people were offended on my behalf.  :-) 

I don't see it as the same as wearing white after Labor Day.  This is more an etiquette thing to avoid offending or upstaging the bride. 

• Like 4

I agree not to wear white to a wedding.

It doesn't matter if the "rule" is passé...what matters is how the bride feels about it. Why chance that the bride *does* care?

Yes, you don't know how the bride feels.

Also, this dress looks like some I've seen brides wear to casual weddings. Basic summery white dresses, instead of dresses that officially scream wedding dress. Two people first wear white to my wedding. Both wore white suits (it was 1991). being suits they didn't look bridal

• Like 2

My mother in law wore white to my wedding. At the time I didn't even notice because, well, I wasn't looking at her at all, but about a year later I looked a t wedding pictures and laughed out loud. Her hair was also dyed to match mine. I really don't know what she was thinking. We get along well, but... weird.

All that to say, I'm glad you are going with blue. The bride would likely not notice or care, but lots of people would wonder about your intentions.

I am ready to buy this dress

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/burlingtoncoatfactory/Women/Draped-Lace-Sleeveless-Dress-273802002.aspx

to go to a wedding. It is a faux pas to wear a white dress to an outdoor wedding in September. (in mid-TN Sept is still quite warm)

I don't know about such things.

It is a faux pas to wear a white dress to a wedding unless you are the bride.

• Like 2

My problem with the upcoming Labor Day weekend wedding is that it is semi-formal wear at a very gorgeous venue, and I'm the wedding coordinator so I need to be "dressed". My best outfit for this is a mid-calf navy gown that looks really lovely on me, BUT, the bridesmaids are in navy blue and the men's grey suits include navy ties so I'm afraid that as the coordinator this would be a serious faux pax since I obviously know the colors of the wedding before hand.

Sigh....

I hate dress shopping! But, in this area most weddings are "Sunday best" so my other outfits probably aren't dressy enough, and my concert performance clothes are too formal...floor length, very, very elegant...more elegant than what the bridesmaids are wearing.

Really, I hate shopping for dresses so much that I honestly should have considered a "surcharge" for choosing a wedding color the same as my go-to dress. :D

• Like 2

The blue dress is pretty. The white would have been iffy. Even if the bride wore a formal wedding gown someone in the bridal party or one of the mothers may be in a casual white dress, IDK. I was in a wedding once where the bridesmaids had casual white dresses with an imprint in the fabric. We carried red roses and it looked nice in the early 90s.

Slightly OT: I took a risk and had my bridesmaids choose their own knee length short sleeve black dress for my summer wedding. It was risky because I never knew bridesmaids to wear black and didn't think it popular for guests to wear black to a wedding at the time. Everyone chose a different dress, but I got them all the same shoes (open toe sandal like pump). It turned out nice with everyone carrying a bouquet of colorful flowers. 2 guests that married within the year ended up choosing black dresses for their brides maids as well, commenting on getting the idea from me. My bridesmaids have all gotten to wear their dresses to other occasions because they picked it out themselves, the dresses were ones that could dress up or down, and a little black dress is just handy to have hanging in the closet.

• Like 2

My problem with the upcoming Labor Day weekend wedding is that it is semi-formal wear at a very gorgeous venue, and I'm the wedding coordinator so I need to be "dressed". My best outfit for this is a mid-calf navy gown that looks really lovely on me, BUT, the bridesmaids are in navy blue and the men's grey suits include navy ties so I'm afraid that as the coordinator this would be a serious faux pax since I obviously know the colors of the wedding before hand.

Sigh....

I hate dress shopping! But, in this area most weddings are "Sunday best" so my other outfits probably aren't dressy enough, and my concert performance clothes are too formal...floor length, very, very elegant...more elegant than what the bridesmaids are wearing.

Really, I hate shopping for dresses so much that I honestly should have considered a "surcharge" for choosing a wedding color the same as my go-to dress. :D

dd's mil didn't think dress shopping would be a big deal.  it's only been 10 years since she last had a child get married . . . . and it wasn't hard then. . . . . the market is a lot worse than she was expecting. :willy_nilly:   I did :smilielol5: when I heard she picked an identical dress to mine.  (different color. - mine was periwinkle blue, her's was maroon.  the bridesmaids were knee length royal blue.)  dsil was freaking out that we couldn't have the same dress.  :chillpill:  I thought it was :rofl:  .  I think she did keep looking, but couldn't find anything.

It was just as well I couldn't find a short dress.  I wore long underwear and sheepskin slippers underneath, and no one knew. :p

• Like 3

While I'm all for leaving white to the bride I find it quite hilarious that anyone would think I could upstage the bride at this point of my life. :D

it's the "perceived attempt to" . . . and yeah, there are middle (or even old) women who are such diva's they would deliberately attempt to upstage the bride.  (I know one morbidly obese women who'd DID it to her own daughters . . .and not just the wedding - but showers . . . . )

• Like 1

Sigh....

I hate dress shopping too. Passionately.  My son is getting married in a few weeks and I've bought and returned more dresses than I can count. Since you are coordinator, can you tell me if I should wear a solid color dress or is a multicolored one okay?

I hate dress shopping too. Passionately. My son is getting married in a few weeks and I've bought and returned more dresses than I can count. Since you are coordinator, can you tell me if I should wear a solid color dress or is a multicolored one okay?

Most photographers will say that a solid, tone on tone, or if you really want a print, something demure and petite looks best. Having seen a lot of wedding pics in which mothers, bridesmaids, etc. wore larger prints - particularly florals - and then were very disappointed in how this looked in group shots, I would say the photographers are giving good advice. I think solids with nice accessories like beautiful bracelets and necklaces or shoulder wraps look very nice and if you h a ve your hair done in a special do helps that catch the eye.

• Like 3

I wore a white dress with big black polka dots on it to my BIL's wedding years and years ago.  I did ask the bride first, and she was fine with it, but I still feel weird about it!  I was only 22, I didn't realize how rude it was.  *I* wouldn't have cared, but I'm sure some people would, and it's just bad form. 

I like the blue one, much safer.  I am wearing a green lace dress to a weeding next week. :)

• Like 1

I wore a white dress with big black polka dots on it to my BIL's wedding years and years ago.  I did ask the bride first, and she was fine with it, but I still feel weird about it!  I was only 22, I didn't realize how rude it was.  *I* wouldn't have cared, but I'm sure some people would, and it's just bad form. 

I like the blue one, much safer.  I am wearing a green lace dress to a weeding next week. :)

I really like the current trend toward soft, flowy lacy dresses. So feminine.

I can tell you this though. It's an outdoor ceremony and going to be muggy and 80 degrees. Since the bride isn't wearing hose, nor are the bridesmaids who are in knee length dresses, I'm not either. Hose is of the devil anyway! :D

The cosmetology school nearby does a really nice lower leg exfoliation for $10.00, and one of the girls from our church is going to school there. She is very, very good at what she does. The moisturizer is quite nice too. So,  I will , for the sake of my non hosed legs, go have that done. For $3.00 more I can get a pedicure added to the service, but I have ticklish feet so I've never had one done. Hmmm.....wonder if I can hold still?

• Like 1

THANK YOU! I don't know things like this. This it what I needed to hear.

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/burlingtoncoatfactory/Women/Sequin-Lace-Sarong-Style-Dress-274091090.aspx

I found a blue version of that dress and I've ordered it.

I'd embarrass myself without the hive.

I like this one better anyway! But I agree with the PPs. I wouldn't wear white to a wedding in trying to keep the bride's feelings in mind.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I wore a white dress with big black polka dots on it to my BIL's wedding years and years ago. I did ask the bride first, and she was fine with it, but I still feel weird about it! I was only 22, I didn't realize how rude it was. *I* wouldn't have cared, but I'm sure some people would, and it's just bad form.

The fact that it wasn't all white is fine in most cases, atleast that's my guess.

• Like 2

I am ready to buy this dress

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/burlingtoncoatfactory/Women/Draped-Lace-Sleeveless-Dress-273802002.aspx

to go to a wedding. It is a faux pas to wear a white dress to an outdoor wedding in September. (in mid-TN Sept is still quite warm)

I don't know about such things.

Pretty dress but I wouldn't wear it to a wedding in which I wasn't the bride.