Menu

Anyone wanna help me shop? Swim suits

Harriet Vane

I was horribly sick earlier this year for two months, including an ICU stay. My illness slowed my metabolism waaaaaaay down and caused bloating. My body isn't the same shape it used to be and is having a slow, hard time trying to get back to normal. While it may be that "normal" won't ever be what it was before my illness, there is reason to hope that continued exercise and recovery will help.

I have a beach vacation coming up, and my swimsuit doesn't fit. I am short on time and under some work deadlines. Anyone feel like helping me find a reasonably priced, plus-size swimsuit that is pretty and flattering? 

Also, do people wear swimsuits that look like dresses, or are those considered dowdy?

Lands End.  They have cute swimsuits.  I just got one that looks like capri leggings under a skirt, in navy blue.  And a rash guard in navy and white stripes, boat neck.  Totally looks like a cute shirt but is a rash guard.  Then I just got a regular one piece to wear under it.  Love Lands End swim stuff.  (We're pale and burn so we cover as much as we can with fabric.)

• Like 2

Women's Swim Tee Rash Guard - Tie Dye  I've seen someone swimming in this swim top (different color) and it's awesome.  She wears the top and a bottom piece.  Me, I swim in an athletic shirt and swim trunks from the guy's section (Target) with a regular walmart cheap one piece underneath.  Not very fashionable, but it works for me.

Sorry you were so sick, wow, didn't know.  :(

• Like 1

I'm another that swims in a rash guard and swim shorts. My whole family dresses this way due to too many family members with skin cancer. I like the ones from Lands End as well, although my most recent swim shorts came from Target last year. I swim with a non or lightly padded 100% synthetic fabric sports bra under my top.

• Like 1

I swim twice a week, and I've learned this about swimsuits and plus size ladies: everything that is designed to make them feel cute ends up drawing way too much attention to their extra bulk.

A woman in a normal looking swimsuit (ie black with bright colours, or just bright colours, normal straps, good hip coverage) can be just about any size and shape. The only thing a casual observer sees is 'woman in a swimsuit'. A woman in a ruched swoopy top, with a skirt, ruffles, details

and such -- she stands out in a crowd of normal swimmers. If she's got an amazing figure, she looks great. Otherwise, she might as well be wearing a sign that says 'I feel fat and swimsuits bother me'.

Go for a swimsuit that is one or two prices, that fits the profile of a normal swimsuit. Maybe one that has an inner 'control panel' -- but don't worry about hiding more that swimsuits normally cover, or dressing your issues up in extra frills. Less is more.

If people don't look twice at you they won't register enough visual info about you to be able to tell a hypothetical police officer what *colour* your swimsuit was -- much less will they notice your body issues at a casual glance. Don't encourage them to take more than a casual glance.

• Like 1

I have not had a suit in years until this year. I got a cute skirt from Garnet Hill and a halter-style top from Nordstrom, both online. I am a 10/12 and felt relatively comfortable in these pieces. Just between us, the big advantage to the skirt is that it saves having to worry about meticulous hair removal. It was short, definitely shorter than most shorts, but just long enough. I sized up to a 12 for both pieces because the reviews all said to. I bought four pieces and returned two, but all four fit. The reviews were spot-on, and both sites let the reviewer describe her size and shape, which I found very helpful. It doesn't help me to know that the suit looked fab on a reviewer who is 5'10" and 120 pounds, ya know? Good luck with your search and with getting back to a shape you are happy with.

• Like 1

Modcloth. :)

Their suits are amazing. And good at hiding anything you might want hidden..

Those are some seriously cute suits!

Do you have a one piece? I am long waisted and have trouble with one pieces.....wish I could tell if they are longish or not.

• Like 1

Those are some seriously cute suits!

Do you have a one piece? I am long waisted and have trouble with one pieces.....wish I could tell if they are longish or not.

I have 2 of their one pieces.  I think they are a bit long in the torso - I'm pretty average in that dept, and they seem a bit long.  They are a great company, I bet if you email them they'll be able to tell you.  

• Like 1

Board shorts and tankini tops work well for me.

Next year I want to find board shorts and do the rash guard/board shorts thing. I have no idea why women are expected to wear underwear-looking stuff to swim in when guys wear shorts. (except for competition)  I don't mind if people look at me twice or think I look odd. I want to be more covered and protected, especially when it is sunny out. (most of the time)

• Like 2

I got a suit recently at Kohl's that I really like.  It doesn't have a skirt, but it comes down lower on the thighs than many suits and I feel more comfortable in it.  (Well, I guess it's not really on the thighs, but I mean it comes down lower than most one-piece suits!)  They have a lot of nice options.

• Like 1

Next year I want to find board shorts and do the rash guard/board shorts thing. I have no idea why women are expected to wear underwear-looking stuff to swim in when guys wear shorts. (except for competition)  I don't mind if people look at me twice or think I look odd. I want to be more covered and protected, especially when it is sunny out. (most of the time)

I love, love, love my Prana swim shorts and top. They're pricey and don't come in plus sizes, but I like the fit and think it's pretty stylish for a middle aged body. I got mine at Title Nine, but I think REI also carries them.  http://www.prana.com/women/clothing/swim.html

• Like 2

I like Lands' End. 

In my circles, swim dresses and swim skirts are very appropriate.  I have one that I wear when I'm planning on being around a bunch of people I know and in and out of the pool.  I find that it attracts a lot of water and stays drippy for a long time, so I don't wear it all the time.  But I have a 2 year old, and I need to be in and out of the pool.  And I hate being the only one in a straight suit, when other people are wearing cover ups.  But I might need to jump back in the pool any minute.  So a swim dress solves that problem.  I feel more covered when other people have on coverups.

• Like 1