Menu

Have you purchased a toilet letely?

LifeLovePassion

We bought Penguin toilets when we built the house.  They are on the cheaper end, money wise, but they work very well.  You just have to know up front that you'll have to buy upgraded toilet seats.  The ones that come with the toilet are horrible.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Penguin-Toilets-2-piece-1-28-GPF-Single-Flush-Elongated-Toilet-with-Overflow-Protection-in-White-524/205081701#customer_reviews

We upgraded to an American Standard as well. Our old toilet was a water hog, and the newer one is highly efficient. 

We have a water conservation district that was running a rebate for purchasing an efficient toilet, so that helped to defray the cost. 

The toilet is two inches higher than our old toilet and my DH hates the increased height. I'd do a "sitting" test if you can prior to purchase. The new "comfort" heights may not be comfortable.

We got 2 new Kohler toliets about 18 months ago.  One of them was requiring occasional plunging but then we discovered the plumber didn't install the innards quite right.  He came and fixed it for free and since then, they've been absolutely perfect.  We used to regularly plunge the old ones. 

We recently bought a new house and are replacing all the toilets slowly.  Some things to think about: Do you want standard height or comfort height (chair-height)?  Do you want one-piece (easier to clean, but more $$) or two-piece?  Can you get any rebates for buying a water efficient toilet?  Elongated seat or round seat?  We also checked Consumer Reports for toilets.

We ended up choosing the Kohler Santa Rosa - comfort height, one-piece, pretty water efficient.  It was $$$, but it was very well rated, is super easy to clean, and we haven't had any, uh, flushing issues, and it's the toilet that gets used most regularly.  We plan on replacing the other ones as soon as it goes on sale again or we find another good coupon.

Yes.  We bought the Kohler Cimaron.  It's the comfort height, elongated seat.   I bought them at Home Depot, so it was fairly cheap.  I like the height.  It looks fine.  I'd probably buy them again because the price was good and it's a simple design.  

We have a had a few clogs because they use a lot less water than our old ones did.

We went to Menard's and found the comfort height one with the highest flush rating. Have never had any trouble with it.

My question is WHY WHY WHY would anyone buy a toilet with a flush rating of 2 out of 10????? I went right for the 10 rating. It could have been purple for all I cared as long as it flushed :-)

• Like 1

American Standard Cadet. We've got 3, in 5 years of 6-8 people living here they have never overflowed and we've only used the plunger a few times. I think you can get any combo of height and bowl shape. The plastic seat and lid were ugly but easy to replace with nicer ones.

We did get "compact elongated" because we had space issues and have been very pleased.

We just replaced the one in our half bath with a Glacier Bay compact. It is taller than the old one even though we didn't get the "chair height" model. Good for dh, bad for me. But it uses less water and flushes well. We were having to plunge a lot with the old one.

Yes!  Finally replaced the one I hated with a passion in our master bathroom.  It was always clogged!  And there were cracks all through the glazing.  It was 20 years old by the time we replaced it;  I threatened that toilet daily...I asked for a new one for Mother's Day lol.  We got a comfort-height, elongated bowl (I don't like that - I find them uncomfortable, but dh likes it), low water use (dual flush mechanism).  We've had it a couple months now and not one clog!  I love it.  I think it was around $300 at Lowes. DH installed it in a very short time.

The toilet in my boys' bathroom is low flow, with the two piece flush button on top. I hate it. For one thing, the tiny bit of water in the elongated bowl means it needs to be cleaned EVERY DAY, if you know what I mean. It is not easy for me to flush it, and my four year old doesn't have enough arm leverage to flush it. So it really, really needs to be cleaned everyday. Using the #1 button means you have to hold it down for a while, or flush it twice, so I can't imagine there is much water saving going on.