Menu

Minor rampage about people asking

I get this often from my family....all former public school teachers.

Now that we are moving across the country they are all wanting me to "try the new schools". I told them they don't get it. That I actually ENJOY being with my children. So many of them say, "Why dont' you try the new schools in TX. You will enjoy the break."

Alison

I sure hope it's okay that I do this, pasting the blog blurb (if not, I'll edit it out). For Abbey:

WHEN ARE YOU COMING HOME?

You can always count on the beginning of the school year, some wise guy (or in this case-acquaintances of my children) asking the crazy question, “Are you going to go back to school?†or questions to me such as “Do the children ever ask to go back�

I just have to shake my head with these types of questions. Is it just me? I is it our society just a “one track mind� Honestly, homeschooling is not that unusual anymore. I really feel that if parents had a couple of days to sit through school all day long at there public facilities, they would probably turn to homeschooling too. We live in a great district, we have a brand new beautiful school. I know I am the odd man out. But let’s get serious.....it is not that unconventional to homeschool these days? Frankly, I think my homeschool rocks. Sure it includes all of the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic, but isn’t school so much more than academics and mandatory test taking. Where is creativity, the passion, the emotion of learning?

In my mind- No Child Left Behind, created by the Bush Administration has taken everything out of school that I love. I just talked to two school teachers last Friday, that told me that the district next to me has a policy of no field-trips for next year. This policy is coming from the district that borders mine. Part of the problem, is they now require that a nurse has to be on board the bus to regulate medication and health issues. The two teachers told me that teachers want to be back by two o’clock on a field-trip, because they don’t get paid for the extra hours and they don’t want to put in the extra time (understandable-either would I).

The teacher did an informal in class poll asking children, who had been to a nearby historical site, and less than like 10 percent had. She asked “â€Who had been to Six Flags†everyone raised their hand. I am not anti amusement park, but isn’t there a place for historical sites in our parental agenda’s these days?

What about art, music, cooking, p.e., home ec, typing, music, debate and a variety of other classes that enrich our lives? I especially love field-trips, I homeschool to spend time in the world, in the field, enriching young minds to see things that they might not otherwise every imagine. Great thinkers of yesterday, that have left us a little bit of the past, can help explode our minds into a greater vision of tomorrow.

I just recently watched the film Freedom Writers. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0463998/ I was inspired by a persistent teacher that took ruined minds out of the garbage can, and made them young adults with hope. This film is definitely a film worth watching.

For the record, I think there are some excellent teachers in the public school system, and I agree that you can probably gain a fair education if the student is motivated enough. But I believe that the truly successful student is successful because parents (whether public or private) take the time to work with the child.

So where does that leave us? I will take homeschooling with all the pain and suffering of math and diagramming sentences (that I too need to work on) for the moments of watching minds discover all there is to offer in the world. To the acquaintances that asked when we are coming back? May I ask you that same question? When are you coming home?~

as the kids approached high school age. "When are you going to send those kids back to school?" "How long are you going to keep homeschooling them?" "I can't imagine not having them enjoy their social life in high school---and I'm a teacher? By the way, what's your degree in?"

Now, our girls are enrolled in school this year (private), but it's for different reasons than just quitting homeschooling; the decision was related to some health issues my husband suffered last fall. So---everyone is going back to school, including me!

But, as much as you can, try to let it go in one ear and out the other. I think people sometimes take great liberties in comments to homeschoolers that we, as homeschoolers (well, I guess I'm an "ex" homeschooler) wouldn't take with them. One of these days, your efforts will pay off.

(Maybe they're just jealous and wish they could stay home and bake cookies with Grandma, too??? :D )

I don't know. I guess I don't mind this question so much. It gives me a chance to explain a little about our homeschooling family. I mean, I guess if I were a public school mom, I would honestly wonder about a family that homeschooled. Now, if it were my MIL who asked the same question year after year, I guess I'd be annoyed. But usually it's friends or other baseball, karate, soccer, lacrosse, fencing moms who ask.

My own mother asked me that this week. We took a short vacation after leaving for the hurricane. I imagine the question was sparked by conversation with my sister who believes I am unable to homeschool properly. I simply smiled and said "At this point we plan on homeschooling all through high school." Truth enough

I had to laugh at my mother this week. We went out to eat with them, and the crabby cashier asked, "Shouldn't the 10 year old be in school?" Before I had a chance to respond my mother replied "Well since they had to evacuate for a hurricane, no." Shut her right up, it was funny.

I love watching my child learn, and I learn right beside him as well.

Thanks for sharing.

My grandmother is always talking about how we can put the kids in ps when we move back to NJ. Um, I *can* put them in to ps in NJ. I can even put them into ps here. There's no magical difference across the state line. I don't *want* to put them into ps.

When a friend of ours learned that dds were homeschooling last year, we had a really great conversation about the insanity of ps kindergarten. I was really taken by surprise when she said "It'll really give them an advantage in the first grade classroom." I just excused myself and walked away.

My mother has really come around to the homeschool concept, but she's stuck when it comes to high school. I can't guarantee that we'll homeschool through high school, but I hope to. We have several years to go before I have any intentions of having an in depth conversation with *anyone about that.

:iagree: and I also hate when they point to my preschooler and ask, "So, you gonna homeschool her too?" :001_rolleyes:

Lol. "No, I only keep the ones I like." Seriously, what kind of question is that? Even having kids who have had (do have) different schooling situations, I still don't understand what they're really asking.

I really identified with this sentence from your blog:

In my mind- No Child Left Behind, created by the Bush Administration has taken everything out of school that I love. I just talked to two school teachers last Friday, that told me that the district next to me has a policy of no field-trips for next year.

This is EXACTLY why we took dd out of school in the middle of second grade. The final straw for us was when our district removed social studies and science from the K-6 curriculum because they were not tested on the CT Mastery Test. So dd sat through 2.5 hours of guided reading work every morning and 2.5 hours of math every afternoon. In first grade!

And as a former public school teacher, let me just add that NCLB has sucked the joy out of teaching for many of us as well. Test prep, test prep, test prep.

Sad. I really loved teaching 7th grade English, but when I was told to just teach the 5-paragraph persuasive essay from October-March, it didn't leave much room for anything else, and I left.

astrid

Well, I have to disagree with some of you article. I have 5 children ages 13, 12, 9, 4 and 2. The oldest 3 went to public school this year. They really wanted to because they love a very stuctured enviroment and it was honestly starting to get hard for me to keep them challenged with two little ones. We have had a very positive experience. The teachers are all great, and I have been impressed with the assignments and projects. They are learning tons, and having fun doing it at the same time. They do lots of interaction and are very creative in their teaching.

So, being on both sides.. public school and homeschool... I just hate when one puts down the other. They are really both good choices depending on the season and child. I never really knew that until we started public school. Seriously, most teachers really care about their students, and most parents are very active in their childs education.

So, I think when people ask "is your child going back to school?" they are not trying to be ugly, but just genuinely don't understand homeschooling or homeschools for that matter. Really!

I do have to say though, that the teachers I have talked to at their school have complemented me on doing a good job with them homeschooling. They said they have had many who were not on grade level and just could not keep up AT ALL. So, that may be why educators may be a little skeptical.

Just giving my two cents... I will go put them back in my pocket now.

Jennifer

I've run across that too. It boggles my mind.

Does it really? I have to fight the odd jealous feeling when I see my neighbor walking her 3 kids to school in the morning. I can relate to the happy sigh of having the house to yourself for a few hours. I realize these days with the kids are precious, but sometimes the mess, the bickering, the overwhelmingness of it all makes me slightly crazy.:blink:

You're moving to NJ? When and where?? :001_smile: Ya know, we do have the best homeschooling laws! ;)

The when is back up in the air again. :glare:

The where is most likely going to be either Sussex or Warren County. Dh is from Bergen County and I'm from the Sussex/Morris border. I miss being close to any store I could ever want to step foot in, but I'm also in love with the rural privacy!

And I can't wait for those great homeschool laws! We'll be out of here before dd turns 8 even if it means sleeping in a tent!:D

Well, I have to disagree with some of you article. I have 5 children ages 13, 12, 9, 4 and 2. The oldest 3 went to public school this year. They really wanted to because they love a very stuctured enviroment and it was honestly starting to get hard for me to keep them challenged with two little ones. We have had a very positive experience. The teachers are all great, and I have been impressed with the assignments and projects. They are learning tons, and having fun doing it at the same time. They do lots of interaction and are very creative in their teaching.

So, being on both sides.. public school and homeschool... I just hate when one puts down the other. They are really both good choices depending on the season and child. I never really knew that until we started public school. Seriously, most teachers really care about their students, and most parents are very active in their childs education.

So, I think when people ask "is your child going back to school?" they are not trying to be ugly, but just genuinely don't understand homeschooling or homeschools for that matter. Really!

I do have to say though, that the teachers I have talked to at their school have complemented me on doing a good job with them homeschooling. They said they have had many who were not on grade level and just could not keep up AT ALL. So, that may be why educators may be a little skeptical.

Just giving my two cents... I will go put them back in my pocket now.

Jennifer

I do have to agree with you on many points- I should have noted that I do have 1 child in public school- my second grader! Thanks for the feedback!

I went to a moms group this morning, and I couldn't believe how many moms were thrilled that their dc had started PreK or K. It was almost like finally, I get my house back for a few hours!

Well, that what I'd be thinking, and totally unapologetically!

I sometimes longingly dream of putting the kids on the bus, walking the dog, going letterboxing, scrapbooking, cleaning the house, going grocery shopping alone or cooking elaborate dinners. Or just listening to NPR by myself. Sounds *wonderful*.

But the reality is, those few hours all alone wouldn't make up for the hassle and negatives of group schooling. SO, we homeschool, and I send DH and the girls to his parents in Missouri once a year for a whole week by myself. Keeps me sane.;)

I only get annoyed by that question if its from someone who persistently insists the kids should be in school. Like family members who are apparently deaf to my replies, the girls' success as hs'ers, our frequent moves, and the 1001 other reasons why homeschooling is working well for us. Then, I get annoyed, but I've really perfected my bean-dip responses!

Does it really? I have to fight the odd jealous feeling when I see my neighbor walking her 3 kids to school in the morning. I can relate to the happy sigh of having the house to yourself for a few hours. I realize these days with the kids are precious, but sometimes the mess, the bickering, the overwhelmingness of it all makes me slightly crazy.:blink:

You're not alone. I sometimes long for the quiet order that would be my house if the kids were in school.

I went to a moms group this morning, and I couldn't believe how many moms were thrilled that their dc had started PreK or K. It was almost like finally, I get my house back for a few hours!

I have two friends who told they couldn't "stomach" being with their kids they way home schooled Moms are forced to endure.

There is one thing about wanting some quiet time for yourself. It boggles me that a mom would think she has to stomach her kids......then why did you have them is what I want to say.

My kids are really plucking me right now and I am borderline between original and crispy...but it if for reasons that they cannot control and I recognize that it is internal to me. My husband is being great about this and making sure I have the time I need.

But what I don't like are the well meaning family and friends that go behind my back and question my children then come to me thinking they know what is best for them and I should put them back in school.

I am really getting grief over the high school issue. The questions I have gotten are, "So, when are they going back to a real school."

Yes...I have many friends here who are PS Teachers. They quit or are putting in for early retirement due to only being able to teach width and not depth. Teach only to the test.

Either way one looks at the issues there are good and bad on both sides. Not all PS are bad and not all homeschoolers are great.

But...what in life is perfect....if you figure it out let me know...I want to see something that is right all the time.

Great topic...interesting answers...food for thought.

Unfortunately, many of those particular teachers have no time for a private life. Dh is quitting teaching when his contract runs out at the end of the year and has spoken to a few collegues about it. One said she likes it, but couldn't possibly teach more than a .4 timeload. Another said she likes it, but only because she is single and has no other responsibilities. The other wonderful, creative teachers in his office leave their babies in childcare all day, every day; and that's not just during term time. They go in for parts of the school holidays too, so Mum can work. I find it odd that someone else's kids could be such a high priority, over their own. I guess we all have different ideas on how life is supposed to be.

:iagree: and I also hate when they point to my preschooler and ask, "So, you gonna homeschool her too?" :001_rolleyes:

"Nah, we're sending her to boarding school in Azerbaijan."

Ok. I probably wouldn't say that to anyone.

:)

Rosie

The final straw for us was when our district removed social studies and science from the K-6 curriculum because they were not tested on the CT Mastery Test. So dd sat through 2.5 hours of guided reading work every morning and 2.5 hours of math every afternoon. In first grade!

Our children are still young, but I often hear my sister's lament...

Over the years her children have been in school (the oldest is 13), she has seen Spanish instruction dropped, Art class dropped, Field Trips dropped, Read Alouds dropped.... Yet for all this, she still says that her middle son can't write or spell, her oldest struggles with math, and we'll wait and see with the 1st grader. Okay, so maybe we don't HAVE to have all those subjects in elementary school, but NCLB seems to have taken out whatever richness and joy there had been in public schooling.

I had to stop going to our church's Mom's Morning Out group because they all just WORE ME OUT with, "Do you think she'll (3.5 yo) go to preschool this year?" or "Won't it be great when the TWINS are FINALLY ready for school? You'll get your life back!"

Once or twice I mentioned that we plan to homeschool the girls, and all the moms jumped back with, "Oh, um... yes, I think YOU could do that, but WE never could... But, Beth, you are so ORGANIZED." As if. :glare:

Sigh. I don't know why, but I got weary of hearing about how So-And-So got her 2 year old into a "great program" and Such-And-Such got her 4 year old into an "exclusive, private pre-K" and on and on and on. It felt like the loneliest place in the world for me -- being surrounded by moms who were excited about shipping out their little ones (and these are all Stay-At-Home moms). In that group, I stuck out like a sore thumb.

I don't want to compete with these moms, I don't want to defend/debate our choices, and sometimes I sure wish I could find a place where our family would "fit in" a little better. NO ONE at our church homeschools. It's not even a blip on the radar. Sigh. I probably need to join a homeschool group, even though our children are little.