Menu

Tell me all about pointe shoes?

K&Rs Mom

So K is super excited her teacher said to go get some shoes before fall season starts.  I know the store in a nearby town does fittings, and apparently there is a lot that goes into finding the right shoes.  What should I know before we go in there?  What do we need to ask?  I'll probably make an appointment for next week.  How long does this take?  Will it take less long if my 18mo is wreaking havoc in the rest of the store?  Why are these things so expensive?!  

The main thing to know is that she should not, under any circumstances, try them out at home before she gets to class.  She will turn an ankle and be off of pointe for another month, which will drive her crazy because everyone who managed to resist the temptation will be en pointe without her.

Rely on the fitter.  Your input is useless, so sure--take the 18 month old; it will give you something to do; on the other hand, getting your first pair of pointe shoes is such a sweet ritual that it might distract you from taking pictures and watching your daughter be excited.  So if you have a choice, I would leave the 18 month old with a sitter and then take your daughter to tea afterwards to celebrate.  As for how long it takes, it depends.  One girl in my daughter's group tried on 30 pairs of shoes before finding the right fit.  Others got there in 5 or 6 tries.

Is this the store your teacher recommends?  If not, go wherever the teacher recommends.

Find out whether the teacher will have a lesson on sewing on elastics and ribbons or whether she should give it a shot herself.  I would assume the former and that she should take the materials (the store will be happy to sell you everything) with her to her first class.

Also, she supposedly keeps her first pair of pointe shoes forever.  My daughter doesn't dance any more, but she still has her first pair of pointe shoes tucked away somewhere.

• Like 12

Yep - expect the fitter to do the work & know the right fit by talking with your dd. Our dd wore hers walking around the house with a pair of wool socks over them to protect them, but to soften them a bit. Don't have her try to go up on toes til after a class with her instructor. Exciting time!!!

• Like 1

My daughter got her first pair last year. It took about an hour to find just the right fit for her feet. She also needed to get toe spacers because of her toes and a few other toe things.

I was really happy with the fitter who seemed very knowledgeable and explained things to daughter and I.

Daughter said her teacher's first pair took hours. It is not something I would try to hurry along because a poor fit could cause problems. I took a day set aside so we could relax and enjoy the day.

• Like 1

DD13 has been en pointe for several years. If your daughter continues in ballet, you will learn more about pointe as you go along. The first pair of pointe shoes is exciting! Here are a couple more tips.

* Pointe shoes are meant to fit without any growing room, so they will need to be replaced whenever her feet grow, even if they are not dead yet.

* Pointe shoes can go "dead" even if they look totally fine, so if your daughter ever tells you that something is not working right with her shoes, it's time to go back to the store.

* If her feet do not grow, and if she only has one pointe class per week, her first pair may last several months or even most of the school year, but as she becomes more advanced and dances more en pointe, they will die quicker. DD's first pointe shoes lasted about six months.

* Do not let your daughter experiment with breaking them in before class. Sometimes they see older girls manipulating their new shoes, but this takes some experience. Walking around in them in the house (not en pointe) is all that she should do.

* Pointe shoes ribbons and elastics do have to be sewn on in a certain way, so I agree that you should find out from her instructor if there will be a lesson. DD's very first pointe class was actually the sewing lesson, which parents attended, so that we could learn, too.

* Pointe shoes are expensive, because they are hand made.

• Like 6

So K is super excited her teacher said to go get some shoes before fall season starts.  I know the store in a nearby town does fittings, and apparently there is a lot that goes into finding the right shoes.  What should I know before we go in there?  What do we need to ask?  I'll probably make an appointment for next week.  How long does this take?  Will it take less long if my 18mo is wreaking havoc in the rest of the store?  Why are these things so expensive?!  

Congrats!

Diamond is a dance teacher and pointe shoe fitter.

It can take anywhere from about 10 minutes (if she has an easy foot to fit, both feet same size/shape/style of shoe) to 1/2 hour or longer. It is helpful to wear the tights she wears for class. Sounds crazy, but it can make a difference in fit.

Toe pads make a huge difference too- both in the fit of the shoe, or the comfort of the shoe. Expect to try on several pairs of shoes each with several styles of toe pads.

Please don't let the 18mo old wreak havoc in the store. :willy_nilly:  Not fun for anyone.

They are so expensive because they are hand-made shoes, not mass-produced. Although cost varies by brand/style/store.

Don't order from a catalog until she has a preferred shoe AND has stopped growing, and preferably, not even then. Sometimes, even the same brand/style/size/maker will vary considerably- these aren't Old Navy flip-flops squeezed out of the factory, KWIM?

FInd out before you go if the teacher wants to see them on her feet before she sews the ribbons/elastics on, and if they will teach her in class or be expected to have them ready by her first class.

They are pretty much never returnable if they have had anything sewn on, or are dirty/scuffed, have sweaty toe prints inside, etc. even if they have never been worn in class.

• Like 3

Congrats! My dd got her first pair of pointe shoes in the spring. I was worried that they may not have shoes that would fit dd, since her feet are big (10.5). I called ahead of time to be sure. They only had 3 styles of shoes in her size, LOL. Luckily, the very first pair she tried on were perfect. She tried on a few more, but it was quite apparent that the first were perfect. My dd's teachers prefer Bloch for beginners, but I think all teachers have their own preferences. You should get a babysitter for your 18 month old. Fittings can take a long time if they can't find the right fit, and you want to be able to focus on your dd without worrying about a toddler in a dance store. ITA with the others, ask about sewing on elastics, and ribbons and don't let her wear them at home!!

• Like 1

Please don't let the 18mo old wreak havoc in the store. :willy_nilly:  Not fun for anyone.

I had hoped it was obvious that I was kidding.  Of course I wouldn't, but I did need to know whether chasing her around was going to be a problem because 12yo needs my attention or if I can be elsewhere in the store/outside while 12yo takes care of shoe questions.  And how did you get that picture of my toddler?! That's pretty much exactly what she looks like in a store. ;)

I had hoped it was obvious that I was kidding.  Of course I wouldn't, but I did need to know whether chasing her around was going to be a problem because 12yo needs my attention or if I can be elsewhere in the store/outside while 12yo takes care of shoe questions.  And how did you get that picture of my toddler?! That's pretty much exactly what she looks like in a store. ;)

Haha I was hoping you were kidding, but to hear Diamond's tales, you can never be too sure. Even if you keep the toddler well-contained in a stroller, they may get bored and start shrieking, taking some of the fun out of that magical first-shoes moment.

Yeah- stay with her, take photos. Be a second set of ears for any instructions.

And the :willy_nilly: is on the 3rd "page" of smiley guys, you'll see it;s my signature 'smiley' for my high-school Junior.  Yeah- some of them never grow out of it. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Here's what you really need to know. If your DC continues ballet in any serious fashion in a few years those $90 shoes will last about a week and a half. You can expect to spend $300 a month on pointe shoes. If you are not willing or able to do that then start thinking about another activity now.

• Like 1

Here's what you really need to know. If your DC continues ballet in any serious fashion in a few years those $90 shoes will last about a week and a half. You can expect to spend $300 a month on pointe shoes. If you are not willing or able to do that then start thinking about another activity now.

:confused:    Would someone who's had their child in dance for years tell their enthusiastic student 11-13 year old who was just told to get their first pointe shoes "Nope sorry.  This was great up until now, but I'm done supporting your interest in ballet?".  LOL.  I just don't see that happening.  My kid is likely to go on pointe within the next year.   I guess I see that as a cross that bridge if and when we get to it kind of thing.

• Like 5

:confused:    Would someone who's had their child in dance for years tell their enthusiastic student 11-13 year old who was just told to get their first pointe shoes "Nope sorry.  This was great up until now, but I'm done supporting your interest in ballet?".  LOL.  I just don't see that happening.  My kid is likely to go on pointe within the next year.   I guess I see that as a cross that bridge if and when we get to it kind of thing.

Don't take offense. I was just stating the reality. The OP commented on how expensive the shoes are. Every family has to make choices. But, I think it's good to go in with your eyes open.

• Like 2

Congrats!

Diamond is a dance teacher and pointe shoe fitter.

It can take anywhere from about 10 minutes (if she has an easy foot to fit, both feet same size/shape/style of shoe) to 1/2 hour or longer. It is helpful to wear the tights she wears for class. Sounds crazy, but it can make a difference in fit.

Toe pads make a huge difference too- both in the fit of the shoe, or the comfort of the shoe. Expect to try on several pairs of shoes each with several styles of toe pads.

They are so expensive because they are hand-made shoes, not mass-produced. Although cost varies by brand/style/store.

Don't order from a catalog until she has a preferred shoe AND has stopped growing, and preferably, not even then. Sometimes, even the same brand/style/size/maker will vary considerably- these aren't Old Navy flip-flops squeezed out of the factory, KWIM?

FInd out before you go if the teacher wants to see them on her feet before she sews the ribbons/elastics on, and if they will teach her in class or be expected to have them ready by her first class.

They are pretty much never returnable if they have had anything sewn on, or are dirty/scuffed, have sweaty toe prints inside, etc. even if they have never been worn in class.

The bolded is really important.  Our students have to get all new pointe shoes approved by a teacher for a few years.

• Like 2

Dd read up on pointe shoes before she went so she knew what to expect.  She also had a LOT of feedback that she gave the fitter -- she didn't just say, "um, okay" but gave as much information as possible about how each shoe felt on her feet.  It was really hard to do it for the first pair since she didn't really know how they should/would feel to her, but she did her best.  The fitter commented that it makes a huge difference if she can actually have the girl tell her how things feel.

Our place writes everything down about each pair purchased, which I assume is standard.  That way you have a history of what worked and how preferences changed.

Edited to add: Dd's teacher has final approval on the shoes, as others have commented.

• Like 3

My dd got her first pointe shoes almost 3 years ago. Most girls in her class had narrow feet and they got the Grishko shoes our teacher/ex-Bolshoi dancer/pointe-shoe-fitter preferred. She tried fitting dd with Grishkos and then basically referred us to an out-of-town store with more brands and good fitters. Dd ended up with Bloch European Balance which fit her oddly shaped feet great. Dd will never be anything near a professional dancer but she enjoys it. She probably waits too long before telling me her shoes are dead but we're still at only 2 pairs per year (she has 4 classes per week--probably about 2 hours/week en pointe). I don't think anyone in our small town program gets shoes super frequently (but probably more than 2/yr)--and some of them ARE great dancers likely to pursue dance further past high school. We've purchased the last couple of pairs cheaper on-line (foot is not growing anymore and she likes these shoes), but we'll probably get the next pair in the store again to see if they'd recommend anything different.

• Like 1

As the mother of boy ballet dancers, most of what I know about pointe, is that I am so glad I have boys, lol. 

But a week and half is a bit extreme. Even the senior dancers in the company get more use out of them than that. Once a month? Sure, absolutely. Every 6-8 weeks? Pretty common for the mid level dancers.  But every 10 days seems like one end of the non-professional spectrum..? It is possible, of course, but it doesn't sound run of the mill to me. And often the dancers have more than one pair that they cycle through, with more or less use, for different classes and situations. That also extends the life of the shoes.

I am speaking about the non-professionals here. I do know professional dancers get new shoes every day, but that is covered by the company. And the dancers who are students in residence with a professional company certainly go through shoes in a week. But for the average high school age dancer it probably isn't going to be that quick.

Now, when she gets older, if she goes off to a summer intensive, she will need one or two new pairs to get through. But the programs usually let you know that ahead of time.

• Like 5

My daughter just got her first pointe shoes last month. She was so excited. Our school requires their first fittings to be done at the school. They had two girls at one time being fitted - my daughter was relatively easy, but the other girl was relatively challenging and they went through A LOT more shoes than mine did (I think they ended up trying every single brand, she needed a spacer, etc.)

It's definitely not something to rush. It takes as long as it takes, but I would ONLY do it with someone who really knows their stuff. My daughter's friend got fitted once and ended up turning her ankle because the shoe was too big.

Ballet is definitely something that gets infinitely more expensive the more advanced they go. I actually had no idea many years ago just how pricey ballet would be...it's big! But dd LOVES ballet and so we have to make sacrifices to allow her to do what she loves. Thankfully she won't be replacing her pointe shoes so often just yet -- we have a few years to go before then!

• Like 1

DD13 had a pair of shoes that lasted only two weeks, but we realized she was in the wrong shoe for her foot and switched to something else, which was much more durable. Now that she is older (starting her fourth year en pointe), she is starting to look for a more perfect shoe, and it's been a period of trial and error. One pair lasted only one week, but the dance store was able to reinforce them with tacks and jet glue to get a little more wear out of them. DD has a particular kind of feet that tend to break shoes quickly, but she has still found some shoes that can last for a couple of months. It's looking like she may end up with two kinds of pointe shoes -- more durable ones for class, and the ideal ones for performances.

So yes, a dancer with a certain type of foot who spends a lot of time en pointe will go through shoes more quickly. But there are also ways to make them last longer.

• Like 3

ANother tip: Spend a few bucks (about $8 at Diamond's store) to get a mesh drawstring bag for the shoes.  After class, put them in that NOT inside the dance bag. Let them dry overnight (even if they don;t feel sweaty or wet) and only put them in the regular/closed dance bag for class the next day. Damp shoes, squished in a dance bag, lose shape and don't last as long.

• Like 4

one word (ok two) toe tape

My dd loves it. She only goes through pointe shoes quickly during intensives. Most weeks she is only on pointe two - three hours. She is more focused on modern - barefeet - super cheap! She dances 15 hours a week.

• Like 2

ANother tip: Spend a few bucks (about $8 at Diamond's store) to get a mesh drawstring bag for the shoes. After class, put them in that NOT inside the dance bag. Let them dry overnight (even if they don;t feel sweaty or wet) and only put them in the regular/closed dance bag for class the next day. Damp shoes, squished in a dance bag, lose shape and don't last as long.

I just finished making a mesh bag for Dd's shoes. It's kind of a hot mess (the sewing part) but I'm going to give it to her to use tomorrow. She has a show for the end of summer workshop and it's their first time performing on pointe.

I will sew a new bag before we start back to regular classes. I really should have looked at the bags on etsy before I started. Lol

I know she will like it anyway because I embroidered her name on some pink fabric on the bag.

• Like 3

DD13 had a pair of shoes that lasted only two weeks, but we realized she was in the wrong shoe for her foot and switched to something else, which was much more durable. Now that she is older (starting her fourth year en pointe), she is starting to look for a more perfect shoe, and it's been a period of trial and error. One pair lasted only one week, but the dance store was able to reinforce them with tacks and jet glue to get a little more wear out of them. DD has a particular kind of feet that tend to break shoes quickly, but she has still found some shoes that can last for a couple of months. It's looking like she may end up with two kinds of pointe shoes -- more durable ones for class, and the ideal ones for performances.

So yes, a dancer with a certain type of foot who spends a lot of time en pointe will go through shoes more quickly. But there are also ways to make them last longer.

This sounds like my dd! She blew through her first pair, too. Now that intensive is over she's down to one working pair,and I keep nagging that she needs to get another ordered NOW so it's in by the time classes start up -- right now they just have Giselle rehearsals 2 or 3 times per week, plus privates.

(I typed this up and wandered off to finish fixing supper without hitting post, so oops on that.)

As the mother of boy ballet dancers, most of what I know about pointe, is that I am so glad I have boys, lol. 

Ditto.

Ds was a super with the Royal Ballet last month and they gave him signed old pointe shoes because there are just so many after a show like that. They all got new ones twice during the run just here, I think. So now we have some dead pointe shoes. I have to figure out what to do with them. Lol.

• Like 1

We have a huge bin of dead point shoes just sitting in DD's closet. I have no idea what to do with them????? My DD is just 14 and she really does burn through multiple pairs of shoes each month. But, she has strong, flexible feet and dances in a serious pre-professional residence program. She is attending a 5 week summer intensive right now, and will go through 6 pair of pointe shoes by the end of the program. She usually has 3 or 4 pair in rotation, but even with rotation and drying and jet glue, they just don't last long when you are on pointe for 2-3 hours a day.

I can remember 3 years ago when she was 11 and getting her first pair. I had no idea how serious this would become. Fortunately, her physical therapist was the father of a dancer in the same ballet school and he clued me in on what to expect as she got older. 

• Like 3

When my oldest got her first pair of point shoes I thought it was a bit Harry Potter like. You know "the wand chooses the wizard". I almost expected her shoes to do something by the time they found the right pair for her. Her dance instructor met us at the store. I was totally useless until it was time to pay.

• Like 5

When my oldest got her first pair of point shoes I thought it was a bit Harry Potter like. You know "the wand chooses the wizard". I almost expected her shoes to do something by the time they found the right pair for her. Her dance instructor met us at the store. I was totally useless until it was time to pay.

Yep, that's me too--standing by to pay the bill. Except in my daughter's case it's usually double the cost because her feet are two different sizes. 

• Like 1

We have a huge bin of dead point shoes just sitting in DD's closet. I have no idea what to do with them????? My DD is just 14 and she really does burn through multiple pairs of shoes each month. But, she has strong, flexible feet and dances in a serious pre-professional residence program. She is attending a 5 week summer intensive right now, and will go through 6 pair of pointe shoes by the end of the program. She usually has 3 or 4 pair in rotation, but even with rotation and drying and jet glue, they just don't last long when you are on pointe for 2-3 hours a day.

I can remember 3 years ago when she was 11 and getting her first pair. I had no idea how serious this would become. Fortunately, her physical therapist was the father of a dancer in the same ballet school and he clued me in on what to expect as she got older. 

At one of the local homeschool graduations the graduating seniors each do a display table about themselves -- photos, memorabilia, whatever.  One girl had a large wreath made of worn pointe shoes.  It was really pretty cool.

One time at a White Elephant Christmas gift exchange my older dd (not really into ballet) received a single used pointe shoe.  The kids still laugh about that one.

• Like 2

make sure you buy shoes with either an instructor, or someone who has been trained to fit pointe shoes. Because someone sells taps shoes doesn't mean they know how to fit the first few pointe shoes. Later on, your child will know, but the first fittings need professional help.

The environmentalist in me cringes at the pointe shoes my child has blown through. Can't the stinky things be composted? She went to her SI with many. I don't want those things to come home.

• Like 1

Dd ended up with Bloch European Balance which fit her oddly shaped feet great.

My dd is wearing Bloch European Balance as well. They have a nice wide toe box that fits her toes nicely. She didn't have any trouble getting up on the box. They are a great pair of shoes.

• Like 1

I don't like it when this thread is in the queue near the college EFC threads. I get all shaky and have to go lie down. When I get up I'm going to have a gander at the under-age employment laws for my state, maybe I can send them all off to part-time jobs.

• Like 2

Yep, that's me too--standing by to pay the bill. Except in my daughter's case it's usually double the cost because her feet are two different sizes. 

But you still end up with two useable pairs, right?  You just have to buy both at once. I had a friend who had to do that also. My middle child is VERY close to needed two different shoes... but we found something that works well enough, for now...

But you still end up with two useable pairs, right?  You just have to buy both at once. I had a friend who had to do that also. My middle child is VERY close to needed two different shoes... but we found something that works well enough, for now...

You wind up with two usable pairs, unless you don't get the ribbons and elastic sewn onto the second pair before she outgrows them...which has happened to me. 

There's been a few times the fitter has been able to find a shoe that will work for her in one size, but only when there are a lot of shoes in stock so she can swap out a few of the same size until she finds one that works. 

You wind up with two usable pairs, unless you don't get the ribbons and elastic sewn onto the second pair before she outgrows them...which has happened to me. 

There's been a few times the fitter has been able to find a shoe that will work for her in one size, but only when there are a lot of shoes in stock so she can swap out a few of the same size until she finds one that works. 

Yep- that's what we did. Only the Big Sis who works there had enough patience left to do that for Middle Sis.

So glad Youngest Sis does karate...  barefoot! :ph34r:

But you still end up with two useable pairs, right? You just have to buy both at once. I had a friend who had to do that also. My middle child is VERY close to needed two different shoes... but we found something that works well enough, for now...

Don't pointe shoes come in left and right?

• Like 1

No.  Pointe shoes are symmetrical.  I was always taught to switch mine back and forth between my feet so that they would wear evenly.   Ballet slippers don't have a left & right either btw. 

That's interesting. At dd's first fitting, they said you mark them as left and right AFTER you start wearing them (inside with a permanent marker). I'm really surprised you were encouraged to switch back and forth as I've never heard that!

ETA: I just found this - definitely opinions on both sides - to mark them and to switch back and forth! I wonder how you remember to properly switch them each time (eg how do you know which ones were left last time?!) So interesting!

http://www.dance.net/topic/7506472/1/Pointe-Beginners/How-can-you-tell-pointe-shoe-right-from-left.html&replies=16

• Like 2

That's interesting. At dd's first fitting, they said you mark them as left and right AFTER you start wearing them (inside with a permanent marker). I'm really surprised you were encouraged to switch back and forth as I've never heard that!

ETA: I just found this - definitely opinions on both sides - to mark them and to switch back and forth! I wonder how you remember to properly switch them each time (eg how do you know which ones were left last time?!) So interesting!

http://www.dance.net/topic/7506472/1/Pointe-Beginners/How-can-you-tell-pointe-shoe-right-from-left.html&replies=16

Maybe it's like breastfeeding and you move a safety pin from one side of your blouse to the other each time you switch.

• Like 1

A dot of coloured nail polish inside the shoe.

If you don't switch, you still need to mark them. I see girls get them on, only to stand up and have to take them off because they put them on the wrong foot. Putting them on takes time, so you want to do it once.

At my son's school I see it done both ways, but they both have to keep track of what they do, or it gets all mixed up.

• Like 2

DD writes an L in the left shoe and an R in the right shoe. She doesn't switch her shoes from foot to foot.

One tip that I haven't mentioned is that it is recommended to let pointe shoes dry out completely before wearing them again. The recommended tine that we go by is two days. If someone has to be en pointe two days in a row, having two pairs of shoes to alternate will make the shoes last longer.

• Like 1

A dot of coloured nail polish inside the shoe.

If you don't switch, you still need to mark them. I see girls get them on, only to stand up and have to take them off because they put them on the wrong foot. Putting them on takes time, so you want to do it once.

At my son's school I see it done both ways, but they both have to keep track of what they do, or it gets all mixed up.

Dd doesn't mark hers. If you tie the ribbons on correctly and then trim the ends evenly, one ribbon will end up being longer than the other. You can tell by the ribbons which shoe goes on which foot.

Bunheads makes a "stitch kit" that comes with needles, thick thread, and some really nice instructions on how to sew on elastics and ribbons that we found very useful. I sewed dd's first pair myself, and then for the second pair I sewed one shoe and she watched me and sewed the other. The third pair she will be ready to sew by herself ;)

• Like 2

Dd doesn't mark hers. If you tie the ribbons on correctly and then trim the ends evenly, one ribbon will end up being longer than the other. You can tell by the ribbons which shoe goes on which foot.

Bunheads makes a "stitch kit" that comes with needles, thick thread, and some really nice instructions on how to sew on elastics and ribbons that we found very useful. I sewed dd's first pair myself, and then for the second pair I sewed one shoe and she watched me and sewed the other. The third pair she will be ready to sew by herself ;)

DD sewed her first pair (and will all future pairs as well) and I'm so grateful! I can't imagine sewing those shoes, especially once they replace them all the time. Her passion, she gets to sew them, lol!!!

• Like 3