Menu

If you could ask God one question, what would it be?

OK, we've had some philosophical questions, I can't take anymore political, and this is something I think about a lot.

If you could ask God one question, nothing about your life in particular, or your family's, what would it be? Nothing too general, and just one question.

Also, if you could meet one person in history, and speak with them for, say, one day, who would it be? Again, no one from your fam, past or present. And why?

Come on, enquiring minds wanna' know :D.

After thought: OK, Heather, you made me realize: I should have included any Earthly form of God, or what you may consider God, should also be excluded, or I guess most people here would say Jesus, or a few would say The Buddha (very few, I'm guessing ;) ), etc. So no meeting godly figures, please!

I would ask God: If you knew what mankind was going to turn out like, why did you even bother with us? We're such a miserable, ungrateful bunch and even though He knew we were going to turn our backs on Him he made us anyways. That is love.

Historical figure I would love to talk to: Sarah Palin (JUST KIDDING :lol:...I would like to meet her, sure...but she's not at the top of my list). OK, seriously, I would want to go back in time and meet Jesus when he walked the earth. I would love to sit at his feet and hear him teach, listen to the sermon on the mount firsthand, see him work miracles and I would have loved to be with the women who saw his tomb empty and knew he had risen. That would be AWESOME.

I would ask God why He has a favorite people. I think that would answer the question of why there is a hell for others. But I reserve the right to edit my post, this one has me thinking.

If I could meet a famous person, I'd choose Susan Wise Bauer...just so I could see how organized her life is. Geessh, can she publish great stuff.

Guest Virginia Dawn
OK, we've had some philosophical questions, I can't take anymore political, and this is something I think about a lot.

If you could ask God one question, nothing about your life in particular, or your family's, what would it be? Nothing too general, and just one question.

Also, if you could meet one person in history, and speak with them for, say, one day, who would it be? Again, no one from your fam, past or present. And why?

After thought: OK, Heather, you made me realize: I should have included any Earthly form of God, or what you may consider God, should also be excluded, or I guess most people here would say Jesus, or a few would say The Buddha (very few, I'm guessing ;) ), etc. So no meeting godly figures, please!

The only question I seem to have lately is "Do I have to live forever?"

I would like to meet Mary the mother of Jesus and ask her what it was like being his mom. Or Joan of Arc to find out what the real story behind her passion was.

I would ask God why some people and cultures seem so blessed while others are so oppressed and struggle so hard.

If I could speak to anyone in history it would be Queen Esther or Mary Magdalene. Because, really, they seem so real and not so exhaulted and holy! I think I could relate to them on a very real level.

"Why, God, knowing how rotten I would be did You not only create me but love me enough to die for me and offer me salvation?" I only wish I could understand/show a small part of His love for me to those in my own life.

Person in history: Well, we just finished learning about the Founding Fathers and their faith this morning, so I would love to sit down with Thomas Jefferson, ask him his take on our world today and if our country is what he envisioned it to be: public schools, "separation" of church and state, etc.

lol, I just thought of one other person...I'd like to meet Eve when I'm in transition come January and slug her a good one. Yep, she's on my bad list at that time. ;)

One question for God: "Why don't you do more smiting these days? I have a list of people who could use it."

Historical figure I'd like to chat with....I think Thomas Jefferson. I'd like to know what he thinks of the current state of affairs. I'm guessing it might kill him if he weren't already dead.

I'd ask why he puts such value in faith.

Good question Phred.....

I am not trying to answer your question, but God said something about greater are those who believe and yet have not seen......which I guess would require faith.

One question for God: "Why don't you do more smiting these days? I have a list of people who could use it."

Historical figure I'd like to chat with....I think Thomas Jefferson. I'd like to know what he thinks of the current state of affairs. I'm guessing it might kill him if he weren't already dead.

I could add a few to yours and TJ would be a good one....:001_smile:

What would I ask God?

Hmmmm....I really don't have any questions for God. Not any why questions but maybe a "How was it speaking creation into existance?" "Can I go back and watch you do it all over again?"

Who? That is just as tough....there are so many fascinating people in history......

1. I would like to meet the whale that swallowed Jonah...I know....not a person but it's my meeting.....:lol:

2. Adam....I heard the most interesting lecture on him and the probable intelligence he was created with...I'm sure he would be an interesting chap to talk to.

3. The Scarlet Pimpernel....I love mysteries and spies.

Okay...maybe not all in that order but one of those would be good.

Oh, this is tough.

I think I would ask God why Christianity, and why religion is based (loosely) on geography. What about the poor souls who do not live in Christian regions.

I'd ask why my good friends who are loving, caring, wonderful human beings, but not Christians -- why. I'd ask about the other religions, who they believe to be true, why they aren't.

Those are the poorly worded questions that roam through my mind all the time. Why just one religion.

This is where I really lack faith, because I DO know the answer to the question, but I just think it's unfair because your religion is where you live, you know? Loosely, of course. There are so many, and why do the all have to be wrong. I just never got that.

~~~

Are you saying I can't ask to speak to one of my ancestors? I would like to talk to my great-great-great grandfather, John W. Foster, of Galena, Illinois, who died in 1879 in Iowa -- I would like to ask him WHERE he came from, who his parents were, what his life was life, how sad did he feel when his children moved from home never to be seen by him again. He is my genelogy brick wall.

BUT, since I can't include a relative, ahem, I'd like to visit for a day with Abraham Lincoln. I would love to visit about his life, his children, his wife, the seances they attended lol, but more importantly, his life as president.

For the question, I'd have to ask about mysteries that have always plagued my mind. Like, who really killed JFK? Or, what really happened to all those people who abandoned that New England colony way back when (can't remember the town's name now)? Or, is Atlantis real and, if so, where is it? Or, is there life on other planets? (It'd be very hard to pick just one, but I guess I'd pick that last one over the others)

For the person, because I'm hopelessly adolescent still, it'd be Bono.

Well, I would ask if we could go on a picnic and pick wild flowers. That is a serious answer :001_smile: and I might add could we go wading in a stream...

I would like to talk with Bernard of Clairvaux and hear him preach/speak and maybe hear St. Jonh preach/speak.

I didn't add mine yet--I was cheating--wanted to see some others first, but mine hasn't changed. I've always felt there is a reason behind tragedies and suffering (like losing my first child) that we cannot understand in this lifetime, but a definite reason for things like children dying, the holocaust, etc. I do not believe God would allow those things to happen without a specific reason--I would like to know what that is.

And, although the person I think I would like to meet most is Gandhi, I think he would make me feel too badly about myself, so I think I would pick Einstein--and hope I could understand him ;). But my father was a nuclear physicist, and worked with him, so I'm hopeful!

I've loved reading everyone's answers--feel like I've learned so much about everyone--these are two of my fave questions to contemplate. I hope more people reply!

I guess mine would also be why...

Why all this, all this waiting, war, disease, and suffering (especially the children) Why the earth itself must suffer under man's poor stewardship? If he is all knowing, all being.. why create such a flawed system (both Earth and Man).

Not sure there is one historical figure I'm dying to meet. I would rather have a round table of a number of people. I'd be happy to see God sit with a few folks and explain things a bit better. I'd just sit off to the side and serve tea and biscuits. :001_smile:

I would ask God "What is the purpose for fleas?" I'm not kidding, that would be my question. I see no purpose for their existence except to be a pain.

The historical figure I would most like to meet is Shakespeare. I would love to pick his brain for a day.

:lol:

Have you ever read Corrie ten Boom? Her story gives a new perspective on lice and fleas. It certainly made me pause.

I would ask why dinosaurs were on earth only to die.

We have the answers to the big questions in the scriptures as written to us by God, if we keep an open mind and listen to him rather than doctrines from men:

Trinity:

In prayer to God, that is, the Father, Jesus said, "You, the only true God." (John 17:3) At John 20:17 he said to Mary Magdalene: "I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God." (RS, Catholic edition) At 2 Corinthians 1:3 the apostle Paul confirms this relationship: "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."

"Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone." (Mark 10:18, JB)

"What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me." (John 7:16)

Hell:

"their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur. This means the second death." --Revelation 21:7, 8 "The dead . . . are conscious of nothing at all.Their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished."—Ecclesiastes 9:5,6.

"There is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in Sheol [the grave], the place to which you are going."—Ecclesiastes 9:10.

"[Man] goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish."—Psalm 146:4.

14 And death and Ha´des were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire. --Revelation 20:14

I guess mine would also be why...

Why all this, all this waiting, war, disease, and suffering (especially the children) Why the earth itself must suffer under man's poor stewardship? If he is all knowing, all being.. why create such a flawed system (both Earth and Man).

I've always suspected that s/he's testing us. If we fix it, we pass the test.

As far as meeting God goes, my question is actually similar to Phred's, and I'm kind of surprised by the reaction he got, so I guess I'd better qualify carefully:

I don't believe that any one faith cornered the market on true prophets or a Divine child. I do believe in a divine Creator, but I don't think I believe that Creator would be vindictive sheerly for amusement's sake. So, I guess my question is, "How do we as a species escape this dichotomy of multiple faiths, each insisting they represent the one true path, each with its own zealots willing to die to defend/advance it?"

I've been beaten to it, but Good Queen Bess is my pick. She spent most of her early years dancing on the head of a pin trying to escape the Tower of London. Every person she loved was also a mortal danger to her. Somehow, she transcended all of it and went on to be one of the most successful monarchs in history. I'd love to spend some time with her.

Why does God permit suffering? Because God's right to rule, has been challenged. "At this the serpent said to the woman: "YOU positively will not die. 5 For God knows that in the very day of YOUR eating from it YOUR eyes are bound to be opened and YOU are bound to be like God, KNOWING good and bad."-- Genesis 3:4,5 Therefore, God has allowed man a free rein clear down to our day to show beyond any doubt whether human rule independent of him can succeed. Thus man has been able to choose between kindness and cruelty, between love and hate, between righteousness and unrighteousness. But he has also been confronted with the consequences of his choice: goodness and peace or wickedness and suffering.

Humans, by rebelling against God, gave themselves over to the influence of Satan and his demons. "the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one."--1 John 5:19

Will it end?

"The wicked one will be no more . . . But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, and they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace." For how long? "The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it."—Psalm 37:10, 11, 29. "In the days of those kings [human rulerships now existing] the God of heaven will set up a kingdom [in heaven] that will never be brought to ruin. . . . It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms [present rulerships], and it itself will stand to times indefinite."-- Daniel 2:44 "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come."--Matthew 24:14.

God how He can love us so much; it's almost incomprehensible.

For historical figures, it's really, really hard to narrow it down to just one. Besides the obvious (Christ and His early disciples), I'd have to pick Ernest Shackleton, the leader of the Endurance expedition. That story never ceases to amaze me: how did they survive? how did they keep going, day by day? Fascinating story.

Why does God permit suffering? Because God's right to rule, has been challenged. "At this the serpent said to the woman: "YOU positively will not die. 5 For God knows that in the very day of YOUR eating from it YOUR eyes are bound to be opened and YOU are bound to be like God, KNOWING good and bad."-- Genesis 3:4,5 Therefore, God has allowed man a free rein clear down to our day to show beyond any doubt whether human rule independent of him can succeed. Thus man has been able to choose between kindness and cruelty, between love and hate, between righteousness and unrighteousness. But he has also been confronted with the consequences of his choice: goodness and peace or wickedness and suffering.

Humans, by rebelling against God, gave themselves over to the influence of Satan and his demons. "the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one."--1 John 5:19

Will it end?

"The wicked one will be no more . . . But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, and they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace." For how long? "The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it."—Psalm 37:10, 11, 29. "In the days of those kings [human rulerships now existing] the God of heaven will set up a kingdom [in heaven] that will never be brought to ruin. . . . It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms [present rulerships], and it itself will stand to times indefinite."-- Daniel 2:44 "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come."--Matthew 24:14.

Is there one true religion and does belonging to it depend on geographical location?

Why not just wipe the slate clean again and start over?

Why not just wipe the slate clean again and start over?

When Adam and Eve rebelled against God, they challenged his sovereignty, that is, his right to rule. He could have destroyed them and started over with another couple, but that would not have settled the issue of whose rulership is right and best for people. The same scenario from the garden of Eden could start over and over again. Granted time to develop their societies according to their own ideas, humans would demonstrate beyond any doubt whether rulership independent from God could ever be successful.

Satan raised another issue that challenged God. In effect, he charged that God was mistaken in the way He created humans and that no one would want to do the right thing when put under pressure. In fact, he claimed that under test they would even curse God. (Job 2:1-5) In this way Satan called into question the integrity of the human creation.

When Adam and Eve rebelled against God, they challenged his sovereignty, that is, his right to rule. He could have destroyed them and started over with another couple, but that would not have settled the issue of whose rulership is right and best for people. The same scenario from the garden of Eden could start over and over again. Granted time to develop their societies according to their own ideas, humans would demonstrate beyond any doubt whether rulership independent from God could ever be successful.

Satan raised another issue that challenged God. In effect, he charged that God was mistaken in the way He created humans and that no one would want to do the right thing when put under pressure. In fact, he claimed that under test they would even curse God. (Job 2:1-5) In this way Satan called into question the integrity of the human creation.

But couldn't he make something else? If man is a faulty creation, try some other kind of being or experiment. Or maybe he already does have other worlds we know nothing about?

But couldn't he make something else? If man is a faulty creation, try some other kind of being or experiment. Or maybe he already does have other worlds we know nothing about?

When God created Adam and Eve, He made them perfect in body and mind. He put them in a paradise garden and gave them satisfying work to do. The Bible states: "God saw everything he had made and, look! it was very good." (Genesis 1:31) It was Satan's lying assertion that man was not perfectly made.

TO UNDERSTAND why God has permitted suffering and what he will do about it, we need to appreciate how he made us. He did more than create us with just a body and a brain. He also created us with special mental and emotional qualities. A key part of our mental and emotional makeup is free will. Yes, God implanted in us the faculty of freedom of choice. It was indeed a wonderful gift from him.

So the desire for freedom is no accident, for God is a God of freedom. The Bible says: "Where the spirit of Jehovah is, there is freedom." (2 Corinthians 3:17) Hence, God gave us free will as part of our very makeup. Since he knew the way our minds and emotions would work, he knew that we would be happiest with free will.

When God created Adam and Eve, He made them perfect in body and mind. He put them in a paradise garden and gave them satisfying work to do. The Bible states: "God saw everything he had made and, look! it was very good." (Genesis 1:31) It was Satan's lying assertion that man was not perfectly made.

TO UNDERSTAND why God has permitted suffering and what he will do about it, we need to appreciate how he made us. He did more than create us with just a body and a brain. He also created us with special mental and emotional qualities. A key part of our mental and emotional makeup is free will. Yes, God implanted in us the faculty of freedom of choice. It was indeed a wonderful gift from him.

So the desire for freedom is no accident, for God is a God of freedom. The Bible says: "Where the spirit of Jehovah is, there is freedom." (2 Corinthians 3:17) Hence, God gave us free will as part of our very makeup. Since he knew the way our minds and emotions would work, he knew that we would be happiest with free will.

This doesn't answer my question... just readings from the Bible. A circle onto its self.

Cheers

b/c God LOVES us, and b/c He wants us to love Him...not act as programmed robots, but choose Him. ...and the rest IDK....I'll ask Him someday :)

How much longer will you put up with this wicked world?

Really. When I look around (and even when I just look at myself) I can't believe the God puts up with any of it. I know that's called grace, but still, I would want to know how much longer He's going to let it go on before He pulls the plug.

As for who I would want to meet, well, I would say Jesus. When I was little I used just cry because I wanted to meet Him (This was during a very traumatic time, when I lost my brother). But If you take out God, then I guess it would be John (the disciple Jesus loved). His writing conveys such a humbleness and fatherly love. I would like to meet the man to was transformed from one of the "sons of thunder" into a child of God.

This doesn't answer my question... just readings from the Bible. A circle onto its self.

Cheers

It was Satan's lying assertion that man was not perfectly made. There are entire books devoted to this subject. I am only able to scratch the surface here. If you want more answers God will grant them to you if you ask in prayer and work in harmony with the prayer, searching for the answers among the scriptures and His people.

If you do not believe the Bible was written by God, or that God does not exist, then those are two other assertions entirely that would require much study on your part coupled with the sincere desire for the true answers.

I can tell that you are in touch with your spiritual need to have such questions. God is pleased when we are aware of our spiritual need and seek to fill it. I have enjoyed this conversation, but I will not turn it into a debate.:001_smile: Perhaps others like Paula will have something to say. Perhaps it is best to conclude this.