Menu

Texasmama, you were right.

Truscifi

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'all, we have got to let this thread die.

Everytime I see the title I think, "how is that little bitty state gonna hold her head if they keep this up?"

:P

#youknowIloveyoumorethanmyluggage

• Like 3

OK - do these shoes give as much support as my New Balance athletic shoes?  

I don't know about the Keens, but my Ahnus were my summer shoe for several years.  I hiked and trail ran (haha! That sounds so tough; "slowly and agonizingly trail jogged" is more accurate.) in them.  They also went in and out of the lake regularly.  They're trashed now. I tried to go cheap and replace them with a Cabela's brand shoe.  No dice.  Now I'm in the market for a new pair. May take a loan out on the house.

BTW, I have really high arches and the Ahnus were great.  Your mileage may vary. :001_smile:

(ETA:  Despite being trashed, I still use them as my barn/morning walk shoe.  I love them, but they're really trashed.  And a bit stinky.)

(Edited again:  It's this shoe.)

I have those Keens!  I got them in the green color for spring, and wear them every day.  They even look good with (gasp!) capri pants.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/women/rose-sandal/loden!neutral%20gray

ETA:  I don't wear Birkenstocks because of a promise I made to myself as a child.  Growing up in Ithaca, NY, I noticed all of the moms wore Birkenstocks, which I just found so unflattering.  I remember thinking to myself that grown-ups must lose the ability to understand what looks attractive as they get older, so I would make a list as child of things I will never wear when I get older just in case I grew up and didn't know any more.  Birkenstocks were at the top of that list (I forget what else was on it -- I think puff-sleeved floral dresses with lace collars, popular at my church in the mid-1980's).

• Like 4

I got the VeniceH2. It is a little clunkier than some of the others, but it fit me really well with good support. I will be getting more, probably Whisper and Rose, eventually...but at the price I have to pace myself.

Are there b&m stores that sell these? I hesitate to buy shoes that cost more than $5 without trying them on.

I fohnd a $10 insole at wally world that is helping my foot pain, but I'm a barefoot gal around the house and having shoes and socks on is going to drive me nuts. I really need a good pair of sandals.

• Like 1

Are there b&m stores that sell these? I hesitate to buy shoes that cost more than $5 without trying them on.

I fohnd a $10 insole at wally world that is helping my foot pain, but I'm a barefoot gal around the house and having shoes and socks on is going to drive me nuts. I really need a good pair of sandals.

Yes - most outdoorsy/quality/comfort shoe stores carry Keens.  I got mine at a shoe store in downtown Peterborough, NH, but have seen them elsewhere.

• Like 1

There's a store locator on the site. Around here, it's mainly smaller retailers that sell them, so I don't know how wide a range of sizes/styles they would carry. The Keens store online does free shipping and free returns. Amazon does too, as long as you're not buying through a third-party seller. I recently returned stuff through them, and they make it SO easy. Just make sure it says so when you select your size and color. Sometimes changing the size/style makes the seller change as well. 

I think Zappos also does free shipping/returns. 

• Like 2

I read and write Japanese which does not have spaces between words but English is not a syllabic language but is an alphabetic language and needs spaces. 

Thai is an alphabetic language too (although according to Wikipedia technically an abugida, which is a word I'd never seen before today):

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/thai.htm

Worse yet, the vowel diacritics can come before, after, above, or below the letter, or sometimes if the vowel sound is an a or o, just be left out. Spaces would have been really handy to have while learning Thai (hard to look words up in the dictionary when you're not sure where one word ends and the next starts). But, once you know Thai reasonably well, the lack of spaces between words isn't a big deal at all.

That said, English writing has evolved with spaces between words so space-less English might be a bit harder than space-less Thai. Or not. #notabouttodoastudy

• Like 1

ETA:  I don't wear Birkenstocks because of a promise I made to myself as a child.  Growing up in Ithaca, NY, I noticed all of the moms wore Birkenstocks, which I just found so unflattering.  I remember thinking to myself that grown-ups must lose the ability to understand what looks attractive as they get older, so I would make a list as child of things I will never wear when I get older just in case I grew up and didn't know any more.  Birkenstocks were at the top of that list (I forget what else was on it -- I think puff-sleeved floral dresses with lace collars, popular at my church in the mid-1980's).

Birks were popular with high school and college kids when I first asked for a pair in the early 80's. Wore that pair for 15 years. They are very popular here in OR for anyone high school or older. At first my dd would laugh at me if I wore socks with mine in winter; then she saw it at her high school all over the place and now she just laughs at me because I match my socks to the shoe instead of wearing wild or contrasting colors! My kids don't get birks until their feet stop growing, but they did get kids' Keens (~$50) when we did our Southwest trip and they were perfect. Bonus--older dd never grew out of hers. Youngest wore hers for 2 years.

• Like 1

Oh, I never thought of that! Maybe when I figure out what sizes fit me, I'll try that. Thanks! In the meantime, I found the sandals in a different (plainer) color on Amazon for $78 instead  :hurray:

He just really, really hates the way they look. He can accept that I've evolved into a crunchy granola hippie over the years, and he never really puts his foot down about anything. He has, however, put his foot down about Birks and having chickens. 

This is the first summer the ON flip flops aren't cutting it. It's possible that if I deal with what I think is burgeoning PF and get any inflammation under control, I could go back to them eventually. But my heels ache all the time now :( I'm really a barefoot kinda gal, but it's not doing me any favors. I just don't see how I'll be able to stand wearing shoes in the house! Blech.

Dude, you have PF and need more support.  I can tell from the internet exam.  I got it once, and it hurt in the heels.  I had to wear tennis shoes all the time, even in the house. I am a barefoot gal, too.

Now I really want to buy some Birks and wear them about just to see my dh's reaction. 

• Like 2

Y'all, we have got to let this thread die.

Everytime I see the title I think, "how is that little bitty state gonna hold her head if they keep this up?"

:p

#youknowIloveyoumorethanmyluggage

#IhatemyluggagebutIloveyoumorethanmyKeens

:D

• Like 3

Birkenstock Gizeh are "in" right now and pretty cute. Naot has a similar cork footbed but are much slimmer, more delicate looking shoes. They give great support too.

I love Keens but they get funky even with washing. I don't know what sort of chemical reaction happens between my feet and the footbed, but it is foul.

One thing to watch with these is that they fall apart pretty quickly.  They don't have the sturdiness that real orthodontics have.  

• Like 1

One thing to watch with these is that they fall apart pretty quickly.  They don't have the sturdiness that real orthodontics have.  

She said orthodontics when she meant to say orthotics, and it was so funny!

#easilyamused

#toothbracesandfootbraces

• Like 7

Birkenstock Gizeh are "in" right now and pretty cute. Naot has a similar cork footbed but are much slimmer, more delicate looking shoes. They give great support too.

I love Keens but they get funky even with washing. I don't know what sort of chemical reaction happens between my feet and the footbed, but it is foul.

I have to wash my ds14's Keens OFTEN or they get the funk.  Mine do not get the funk.  

#youhaveteenageboyfeet

• Like 3

Dick's Sporting Goods sells them. I got mine at a little local place I found listed on the Keen's website. Now that I know they work for me I'll probably start getting them on Ebay.

Birkenstock Gizeh are "in" right now and pretty cute. 

I don't know. They still look like Birks. Birkenstock and cute just don't fit in the same sentence.  :lol:

The first company that manages to design truly cute shoes that really are good for your feet is going to clean out my bank account.

Yes, I've tried the ones from the store and they aren't as good. I have a pair from the foot doctor (which I wear when I wear my New Balance shoes). I don't use them often though because of my aversion to closed shoes.

Am I the only one who doesn't think either Keens or Birkenstocks are comfortable?

I must have defective feet or something.

Sadness. :(

I know someone who found  Birkenstocks horribly uncomfortable. She said the arches on the shoes hurt. 

She hates Birkenstocks.

And I thought she was my friend.  :crying:

• Like 4

Those all look too closed off for me. I'm hoping I can try these or these  at the store tomorrow, then come home and check eBay.

I was going for the walking shoe kinda look.  I wore them all over mountains in Montana and state parks.  I wore them while fording streams.  I wore them white water rafting.   I needed a sturdy walking shoe that could get wet.

Those look good for tooling around your daily activities.

• Like 2

I was going for the walking shoe kinda look. I wore them all over mountains in Montana and state parks. I wore them while fording streams. I wore them white water rafting. I needed a sturdy walking shoe that could get wet.

Those look good for tooling around your daily activities.

Sometimes I ford puddles in parking lots on rainy days when the line is too long at the valet stand. Does that count? ;)

• Like 2

Oh no. You guys! I've just fallen in love with a $110 pair of sandals thanks to you. I don't think my entire summer wardrobe cost $110!!! DH won't allow Birks in the house, and I think I have some plantar fasciitis starting up, so I need some reliable summer shoes that cost more than $2.50 and don't come from Old Navy.

Uuuuuggghhhhh...

When I first heard about Keens and saw the prices I thought, "No way!" but I got a pair for $2 at a garage sale and love them! I could totally see myself paying $110 to replace them eventually but I did get to try them first!

• Like 1

In honor of the honor bestowed upon me for being, AHEM, right ( :D ), I have altered my above avatar title accordingly.

You are all welcome, and you can say you knew me when.

As your evil twin I am right by association.

• Like 2

I cannot see switching to open shoes.  Despite the PNW stereotype of socks with sandals, I'm not brave enough to do that, I would have to do that for a good portion of the year because even if it is temperate in temperature here, it rains a lot.  And it's cold rain.  But then your feet would get wet and if you did wear socks, your socks would get wet and soggy.  

In honor of the honor bestowed upon me for being, AHEM, right ( :D ), I have altered my above avatar title accordingly.

You are all welcome, and you can say you knew me when.

I'm always right about these things.

• Like 1

Also - TM - you live where there are things like scorpions and spiders the size of dinner plates.  How can you leave your toes out there as bait?  

#livingontheedge

I walked into the pantry, and there was a scorpion not a foot from my little bare feetsies.  Most spiders are not poisonous.  The wolf ones are really big, but they are beneficial.  

#killedacopperheadwearingflipflops

#truestory

I'm kind of BA.  ;)

• Like 10

I cannot see switching to open shoes.  Despite the PNW stereotype of socks with sandals, I'm not brave enough to do that, I would have to do that for a good portion of the year because even if it is temperate in temperature here, it rains a lot.  And it's cold rain.  But then your feet would get wet and if you did wear socks, your socks would get wet and soggy.  

I will make fun of you if you wear socks with sandals because I can't even.

If it's cold enough to need socks, it is not sandal weather and folks need to get themselves a dang pair of tennis shoes.

• Like 8

#livingontheedge

I walked into the pantry, and there was a scorpion not a foot from my little bare feetsies.  Most spiders are not poisonous.  The wolf ones are really big, but they are beneficial.  

#killedacopperheadwearingflipflops

#truestory

I'm kind of BA.   ;)

Quoted myself and bolded the above to say that this is why I need those hiking boots Keens I linked upthread.  I am watching them on ebay now.  Don't any of you dare bid on them!

#Iwillcutyou

• Like 5

Only when you are not insulting me. ;)

I am shocked, completely shocked and more than a bit appalled that you would accuse ME of insulting YOU. There MUST be A misunderstanding. I could never stay mad at you. I worship the quicksand you walk on!

• Like 4

I am shocked, completely shocked and more than a bit appalled that you would accuse ME of insulting YOU. There MUST be A misunderstanding. I could never stay mad at you. I worship the quicksand you walk on!

Bwahahahaha!

Fortunately for you, all the evidence was deleted in the latest thread...

#alwayswasthesneakytwin

• Like 3

Quoted myself and bolded the above to say that this is why I need those hiking boots Keens I linked upthread. I am watching them on ebay now. Don't any of you dare bid on them!

#Iwillcutyou

You totally have me drooling because 10 is my size too...but I do like my blood on the inside ;)
  • Like 1