Menu

Can I complain? No one to complain to today.

TranquilMind

[ PLEASE DON'T QUOTE ME:  I WILL PROBABLY DELETE

My kids will be leaving together to go on an amazing adventure next week.  I know this is good for them, but I'm having that "I've come to the end of my usefulness in their lives" feeling today, as well as typical mom concern.

It doesn't help that it is the anniversary of my Mom's death and I'm missing her a lot, suddenly.  We went to a graduation party this weekend with FOUR involved, interested grandparents.  My kids have none (one is living but disengaged).   

I have realized a close friendship is really one-sided.  This friendship has been bumpy but it's always been me that apologized and me that let things go.  Screw that ( I feel today).  But good friends aren't easy to find later in life, or maybe anytime.

It's overcast and dreary outside and I am one of those people who definitely react negatively to that. 

I'm post menopausal, and rarely get teary eyed.  That's all I've been today.  I miss all my dead relatives.  We have no one to go to graduations and things like that.

To top it all off, I'm doing a renovation and I had a "professional" tile job that was left like this with corners broken everywhere (photos included) by a guy to whom I paid thousands of dollars.  The job should have looked like the properly tiled sample (attached on board with label).

Argh.

(Insert whine, whine, whine).

Ok, I'm done.  Thanks for listening, if anyone did. 

Ugh, it really stinks when there seems to be something wrong in every direction you turn....  :grouphug:

Hmmmmm.  For some reason I think I ought to encourage you to take quick stock of your day and find 3 good things (something you're grateful for, something that went right, something nice you did for someone or someone did for you, that sort of thing).

I hope your day looks sunnier soon.

• Like 2

It's a lot, all together.  The death by 10,000 cuts.  (())

This. I'm not prone to tears.  Well...after kids, sappy stories get me like never before. But, when things just pile on top of one another, it's a lot.  Cry, grieve, and vent away. 

• Like 1

Awe, I am am sorry. Good friends are harder to find the more functional you are, not the older you get. You will find other friends who are more like you, when you get the wrong ones out of the way. You won't waste time of the next dysfunctional person, you will see.

The tile sucks. I bet you can get it taken care of, though.

• Like 3

Awe, I am am sorry. Good friends are harder to find the more functional you are, not the older you get. You will find other friends who are more like you, when you get the wrong ones out of the way. You won't waste time of the next dysfunctional person, you will see.

The tile sucks. I bet you can get it taken care of, though.

Ha ha.  The bolded actually made me laugh.

I have my eccentricities, but I am a very stable and solid person (I think!).   I might be lonely but I'm functional! 

Yeah, I can have the tile taken care of by a tear out and redo by another guy!  Thousands more.  Can't do.  Not happy.  MIght just have to redo part of it. 

• Like 2

Ugh, it really stinks when there seems to be something wrong in every direction you turn....  :grouphug:

Hmmmmm.  For some reason I think I ought to encourage you to take quick stock of your day and find 3 good things (something you're grateful for, something that went right, something nice you did for someone or someone did for you, that sort of thing).

I hope your day looks sunnier soon.

Kids are healthy.

Recent surgery on the complete mend. 

My husband loves me.

Thank you and praise the Lord.

• Like 9

Even though I haven't been on the board long, and don't really "know" you, I have to stop and give a virtual hug!

I can so relate to your feelings! I experinece many of these same issues and sometimes it just hits you. Missing a parent, or other loved ones is difficult. Dealing with hurts due to friendships that aren't quite as supportive and strong as they should be, can be even more difficult when you don't have many family members around. Sounds like it is just all too much today. Have a good cry, vent away. Later tonight, or maybe tomorrow, hopefully you will be able to step back and see things a litte differently or be able to see a way to make improvements in the areas that you can. :grouphug:

Even though I haven't been on the board long, and don't really "know" you, I have to stop and give a virtual hug!

I can so relate to your feelings! I experinece many of these same issues and sometimes it just hits you. Missing a parent, or other loved ones is difficult. Dealing with hurts due to friendships that aren't quite as supportive and strong as they should be, can be even more difficult when you don't have many family members around. Sounds like it is just all too much today. Have a good cry, vent away. Later tonight, or maybe tomorrow, hopefully you will be able to step back and see things a litte differently or be able to see a way to make improvements in the areas that you can. :grouphug:

Thank you.

Like Scarlett, "I won't think about that today.  I'll think about that tomorrow!" 

(Well, soon, anyway). 

• Like 2

Thank you...

(WHY am I crying....?   I didn't cry at funerals or at deathbeds.)

It all makes sense  (without quoting), but much of what you've written coupled with "post-menopausal" speaks volumes.  I'm usually the even-keeled, stoic one (I didn't cry at my mom's funeral)... but now that I'm in the middle of "the change" all bets are off the table.   

((Hugs)). You are dealing with a lot.

That tile job is AWFUL! I can't really tell because the images are small, but it looks as if they not only installed chipped tile, but they ripped some tiles off the backing and installed them upside down. I can't imagine how they could do that without noticing. If one of our installers tried to pull that they would be instantly fired. Call the company and ask for a manager to come out and review the work, and do not pay the final payment until it is completely ripped out and redone. If you hired the installer on your own, look into filing with small claims court.

• Like 3

:grouphug:  btdt

my kids also only have one grandparent - who has mellowed with age, but my kids remember when she wasn't interested.

I have things happen with my kids - and my mom is also deceased and I can't share them with her.  big events I miss being able to do that.  I can't go brag to her anymore.

all I'm saying is: I understand.  hugs to you, and there are times you want to share your triumphs, and it's just not the same.

((Hugs)). You are dealing with a lot.

That tile job is AWFUL! I can't really tell because the images are small, but it looks as if they not only installed chipped tile, but they ripped some tiles off the backing and installed them upside down. I can't imagine how they could do that without noticing. If one of our installers tried to pull that they would be instantly fired. Call the company and ask for a manager to come out and review the work, and do not pay the final payment until it is completely ripped out and redone. If you hired the installer on your own, look into filing with small claims court.

Thank you!  The guy won't even respond to me. He chipped over half of the tiles while grouting,  left them, and then just sealed it all as you see.   II have a photo of him midstream in the grouting process, and the ones he had not gotten to yet appeared to be unbroken. He is a one-man operation with a helper, whose name I got from Angie's List.

The helper was told by my kitchen contractor (who just stepped in!) to replace 5 white tiles that were all up and down on the wall, not flat.  He angrily banged them out with a hammer, chips flying everywhere.  Quite an outburst, I was told. 

My super awesome kitchen contractor - who does everything but tile - said he should havejust  tried it himself.  If he did it, he would have stopped with the first chipped tile and replaced it.  If they were all chipping, he would have come to me and said we had a problem with the tile...not just left it for me and taken the money!   Argh.  This was the one really nice entire bathroom I have done, though I've done minor updates to others.  And this is what I got. 

I've now met with other tile contractors.  My expectations were not unreasonable. 

I get it as a non-cryer. You have plenty to complain about and reason to cry. You can still look at the positives- with that and a sense of humor you can get through anything. I hope today was easier.

Thank you.  The next day was better.  I just had to transition into problem-solver mode. I usually live there, but that day was just overwhelming. 

:grouphug:  btdt

my kids also only have one grandparent - who has mellowed with age, but my kids remember when she wasn't interested.

I have things happen with my kids - and my mom is also deceased and I can't share them with her.  big events I miss being able to do that.  I can't go brag to her anymore.

all I'm saying is: I understand.  hugs to you, and there are times you want to share your triumphs, and it's just not the same.

Yeah....

It all makes sense  (without quoting), but much of what you've written coupled with "post-menopausal" speaks volumes.  I'm usually the even-keeled, stoic one (I didn't cry at my mom's funeral)... but now that I'm in the middle of "the change" all bets are off the table.   

But I'm done!  All that should be over now...

Anyway, I get what you are going through.  Others need to proceed at their own peril.   ;)