Menu

Car for teens

Janie Grace

I'm just starting to look for my oldest ds. As of now, I like smaller SUVs. My friend asked her insurance agent and learned that in our area, it's cheaper to insure a slightly used SUV than a sedan. I like that they can see better. I don't want anything too old because I like the safety features of newer cars. I think the insurance costs will probably be regional.

My dh searched around and ended up buying a 2002 Impala for our dd.  I'm not sure why he landed on that, but he felt it would be a safe car for her.  It has been a decent car.  He's a former mechanic though, and was able to check out the engine stuff pretty thoroughly. 

I don't have a specific make or model for you.  But I do have criteria for our family vehicles.

1. Something with a fair amount of steel in front.

2. One where the battery is easily accessible to jump start

3. the less electronic/computer run accessories the better, less to go wrong, less costly to diagnose and to fix.

Old family tip: we never let a mechanic use a power tool to tighten lug nuts, if you need to change your tire, that makes it difficult to impossible to get them loose.

• Like 1

All three of our older kids drove a 1992 Ford Explorer thru high school.

1 - Price was right ($1000)

2 - Heavy chunk of metal

3 - four wheel drive on demand

4 - old enough so that DH and the kids could do most of the repairs needed

5 - big enough to carry a bunch of musical instruments, but not so big that parking is a problem

It's been a super reliable car.  Still is, in fact.  We were going to sell it since it will be a few years before DD13 is driving, but now DS19 may need it this fall, so it's still here.

I'd say it depends on your priorities.

If you want a car that's easy to work on, look for older models.

If safety is the priority, I'd go as new as possible.  Newer cars have more safety features (airbags, antilock brakes, stability/traction control, etc.) and I believe most studies say that the increased features on newer cars make them safer overall, even though most older cars tend to be heavier.

That said, we've handed down cars -- when each of the boys got their license we gave them our oldest vehicle and DH or I bought a new one for ourselves.  We're a Honda family, so that meant the boys were getting extremely reliable vehicles.

• Like 1

Our kids started with a very used pickup truck. The entire reasoning was because it limited them to just one passenger, thus limiting the distractions, group rides, etc. It's not for everyone but it worked for us. Plus it was good for when we needed to haul something.  Throw some tubes of sand in the bed and it's even good in the snow.  That thing lasted forever. 

OP here. I'd say safety is the top priority. We aren't mechanically savvy so being able to work on it ourselves isn't really a consideration. I've heard small-midsize SUVs are safe but I wonder about maneuverability (parking, pulling out, etc).

• Like 1

Our guy drove an '82 Volvo, with 100K miles on it. That thing was a tank. He loved it.

We won't have that option for our next teens, we passed it on to a neighbor in need, when DS got a real car, but it was a great car.

Our early twenty-somethings have, respectively, a 94 corolla and a 97 civic (which will soon go to next kid in line). Corolla girl is on her 3rd car as dh passed his old Saturn on to her and, when it died, she bought a nissan optima, which she totalled (not her fault). There's a place we know in SoCal that buys & refurbishes and resells "teen cars" - we have been far too busy there as customers, LOL.

Ex has a 2000 GMC Jimmy that is supposed to be ds's someday when he gets it running correctly. (I'm not holding my breath) I liked the car because it sits higher up, is easy to drive (and park!) and gets decent gas mileage. 

I have a 2002 Impala, which is also a decent car, lots of window space, easy to drive. It would be a good teen car. 

An old 245 DL Volvo - if you can still find one. It's like a tank with steel plates in the doors in case you get t-boned. Engine is supposed to drop out on a head on collision giving passengers more room to survive. It's hard to exceed the speed limit - at least on a freeway.  :lol:

• Like 2

An old 245 DL Volvo - if you can still find one. It's like a tank with steel plates in the doors in case you get t-boned. Engine is supposed to drop out on a head on collision giving passengers more room to survive. It's hard to exceed the speed limit - at least on a freeway.  :lol:

Just do not get a Volvo 850.  You'll know them by the fact that they tend to always have their windows down in the summer time.  The a/c is notoriously expensive to fix.

Mine had major electrical problems.  Dh used to quip that Volvos were so safe because they never left the driveway.

I bought the 850 because my friend had an old 240 which was a tank and never had issues.  

• Like 1