Menu

Grandfather Clocks

DawnM

Grandfather Clock  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a Grandfather Clock

• Yes, we have one in our house currently
    • We used to have one
    • My parents have one (or used to have one)
    • Other (can't imagine a poll on this forum without this option)
    • No, We don't have one (or haven't ever had one.)

No, but we have a lot of antique clocks. My husband's father had one. Probably his mother still has it. We are big into clocks in general though and have several special/unique ones. We don't really have the space for a grandfather clock.

Clocks are cool. I like all kinds, from the antiques to the ultra-modern ones. :)

My favorite one is very modern and it's in my kitchen. It's kind of weird though, and I can never really tell what time it is, but it looks cool so I keep it anyway.

• Like 2

I babysat my brother's for seven years.  it was a dirty job, but someone had to do it.  ;)  it also spoiled me rotten.  he picked it out at the factory.  I was at a homeshow with a clock peddler.  he had a very large display of grandfather clocks.  I was looking at his most expensive clock and thinking about all of it's deficits . . . . the vender walked up to me, and said "that's what a grandfather clock is supposed to be like".  

No. it isn't.  

let's say, that wasn't what he was expecting . . . . . (but he walked into that one . . . . )

while I would enjoy one - I have had a very, very, difficult time finding one in the US I could enjoy.

We have one. It belonged to my grandfather. :p

We actually have stopped it because it chimes on the quarter-hour, and I find that extremely annoying (especially at night). But it's pretty!

how long did you have it before turning it off?  it eventually becomes so much background noise that I thought I had broken my brothers.  even when I concentrated on listening for it - my brain ignored it!  

I miss the chimes . . .

how long did you have it before turning it off?  it eventually becomes so much background noise that I thought I had broken my brothers.  even when I concentrated on listening for it - my brain ignored it!  

I miss the chimes . . .

We never had it on. DD was a baby when we got it and I was afraid of waking her up. That's probably why I found it annoying -- constant anxiety about waking the baby! It never bothered me when I stayed with my grandparents growing up. Maybe we'll thinking about turning it back on.

• Like 1

We have one.  My DH bought it long before I met him, when he was a single guy with money to spend. :-) 

The clock is named, "Mr. Clock."  Very creative of us, huh?  I made DH turn off the chime when we married, because I don't have the personality to deal with a chime every quarter hour.   It would make me insane.   But I love Mr. Clock just the same.   

Once my younger son stood on a chair for quite a long time watching the clock mechanism.  Then was when he was in a phase of building clock models out of Legos.  A grandfather clock is truly a wonderful thing.  I am constantly amazed that it runs without batteries.  

• Like 1

We have one, but it is deactivated. No, I cannot learn to sleep through that. Especially when the one place it fits is right outside my bedroom and below two of the kids rooms (open to upstairs). It is pretty, but noisy. And irritating. But, it looks really nice sitting in the entry and I cannot imagine anything else being in its place.

I don't have one.  I don't want one.

I have never lived in a house with one.

I don't think I even know anyone who has one.

I *think* I might have seen one on TV, but since I mostly watch cooking shows and Doctor Who, I may be imagining it.

Other, my inlaws have a grandmother clock.  It is a little shorter than me, so under 5'8" and is tall and skinny.  It is very simple and beautiful. It is original to the house, and is from the 1920s or 30s.  The house is maybe 800sqft total, so the smaller size suits the house well.