Menu

Food, Exercise, and Self-Care - Keeping it Real

swimmermom3

We've had a lot of threads recently on weight loss, diets, exercise, and strength-training. Perhaps with the warmer months approaching, many of us are thinking about those short sleeves, shorts, or gasp, bikinis. But I know those aren't the only things we are thinking about because we are educators, parents, partners, employees, parents to our parents, and a host of other roles and we are writing a lot about the stresses that can accompany them.

What do you all do to keep you self-care REAL?  Please don't tell me about your 22 day detox diet where you eat gluten-free, carb-free, protein-free, fat-free  - but only one your "splurge"days while standing on your head, toes pointed south.

What good habits, good routines, do you maintain and that you could maintain for a lifetime that make the quality of your life better?

Those weight-loss threads made me start down this musing path, but also, my BIL just had open heart surgery. My SIL is so frustrated with him, because shortly afterwards, he suggested that they go out to dinner and he seems perfectly happy to continue on with the same unhealthy lifestyle that landed him on the table under the knife. But I was trying to see it from his viewpoint. My SIL is very food aware and tries to eat all the "correct" foods to enhance her health and longevity (they are in their early '60's).  I suspect my BIL looks at her long list of "no go" foods, sees how she doesn't seem to really feel a lot better or enjoy meals at all and says, "Screw it!" I don't blame him. 

We've become a country and people of extremes and I feel like we lose site of balance. I've done the crazy stuff with Medifast and 2-3 hour a day workouts and I am over it. I am working to build sustainable habits that truly "feed" me in the best sense of that word.

The big things, the crazy things always seem to catch our attention and yet, I suspect that it is the small changes, the things we can maintain, that make the real differences in our lives.

What are your small, but big things that you do that contribute to your sense of peace and well-being?

Do you walk every day in the morning like your dad did?

Did you start doing Morning Pages while reading The Artist's Way and it felt so good, you are still doing it three years later?

Do you take ten minutes every morning to drink your coffee and watch the birds at their bird feeder?

A couple of years ago, my laundry room got new flooring and a new coat of paint. I then decided to paint out my cabinets and install a shelf that ran above the washer and dryer, but below the cabinets - a display shelf. On the shelf, I placed an obi (sash) from my MIL along with keepsakes that make me think of her and my wonderful FIL. One of the items is a wooden tray propped up like art that has birds on it and was a wedding gift to them over 50 years ago. A lovely cracked Japanese bowl holds a monkeys fist knot that Sailor Dude tied for me in some pretty cording along with a clam shell from the clam his older brother dissected on a marathon dissection day that was too much fun. I have a window looking out onto our greenbelt. Instead of my laundry room just being a place to get crap done in, it's become a peaceful place to stand and fold laundry and think about the best parts of family life. A small change made a big difference in my attitude about that chore. Okay, I know, weird, but you get the idea.

My husband makes nearly every dish he turns out in the kitchen a minor work of art. It's a small display of his creative side that otherwise seldom has time to be used.

• Like 9

On the note of rest and small pleasures., I do my utmost to make Sunday afternoons the day when I do what I WANT to do, rather than what I need to do.

I cook a one dish meal and if I don't get around to dishes, I can do that guilt-free because it is Sunday.

If I want to nap. Fine

If I'd rather sew or draw, Fine

If I want to read twaddle, Fine.

• Like 5

On the note of rest and small pleasures., I do my utmost to make Sunday afternoons the day when I do what I WANT to do, rather than what I need to do.

I cook a one dish meal and if I don't get around to dishes, I can do that guilt-free because it is Sunday.

If I want to nap. Fine

:svengo: It never occurred to me to approach it like this. Seriously.  We'll take time to relax and maybe do a little of nothing, but often I get anxious about not getting "stuff" done. If I knew I was working towards that afternoon of freedom, I think I would probably have a better attitude about certain things.

Does everyone in your house get that this is not the time to ask for homework help or whatever else needs to be done?

• Like 2

The past year and a half has been a very stressful one for me.  I decided that 2015 was going to be the Year of Healing.  I have been trying to find various things  that lend to my healing--emotionally, physically,creatively and spiritually.   Here are some of the things that I have been doing since the beginning of the year:

teaching myself how to play piano ( this has been a slow process but I am still doing this)

zentangling--surprisingly, this has been very comforting

picking a literary mentor--This year, I have chosen to read all/most of the books written by C.S.Lewis.   I am finding this to be exhilarating and soothing  all at the same time.  I am so enjoying my time with Jack.

reading the Psalms--I start off my day with reading a Psalm--again,  comforting

exercising--I try to exercise a half an hour a day.  This doesn't  always happen but on an average I am getting 4--5 days in.  I usually do strength training  alternately with yoga.  I try to do it first thing in the morning but lately it is getting done right after school

I am trying to eat more vegetable  dishes  and have discovered new uses with cabbage,  sweet potatoes  and squash. 

So far,  I am enjoying my year of healing,  it is turning out to be a positive experience.

• Like 5

The two most important things I do for my self care, and  have done continuously for decades, is getting enough sleep and taking time to move in nature.

One day each weekend is set aside for this, even when things got busy. The one day of rock climbing kept me sane through college and grad school, the one day of hiking with the kids gave us lovely experiences as a family, and now the one day of hiking with DH is a day where we can bond, where we can put things into perspective, and truly relax, both mentally and physically.

During the week, we try to walk outside for an hour in the evening as often as weather and work schedules permit.

Sleep: I never pulled an all nighter. Never ever. I need my sleep (and the sleep deprivation when my kids were little was very hard for me). I aim for 9 hours and almost never get less than 8 hours of sleep. I make this a top priority, because it affects my well being like no other thing does.

A third thing I also consider important is making time for meals. We eat each meal sitting down at the dining table. No meals in the car, one the go, in front of TV.

These are the things I manage consistently. I also need to make room for creative pursuit, but I am not as good there as I want to be. The only thing I do consistently is to sing in a choir; I have done so since I was 12, with the exception of four years. I also write poetry and d photography, but I am not making this as high a priority as I feel would be valuable for me. Still working on this.

• Like 6

I make myself get enough sleep.  The last baby I had, 4 years ago, almost killed me with sleep deprivation (no kidding, I was a little out of it one night and was googling to find out if giving him up for adoption would damage my older kid too much, and this was after wondering and deciding I didn't care if dh and others hated me for it - after a little bit I realized I really was losing my mind, and decided to let him cry it out, which I had never done before with any child - would you believe he slept through the night after that?  I think his guardian angel was looking out for him.........anyhoo, this is all to say that I realized that sleep deprivation can make you CRAZY).  So, I'm now in bed by 10:30 every night, sometimes earlier.  I get up between 6-7.

I also stopped putting sugar into my coffee and I use blackstrap molasses instead.  Yes, it's a sugar, but you can't use too much because it's strong and will make your coffee taste like :ack2: .  But it has iron and other minerals, which I feel are beneficial in the long run. 

The last two years I've taken up running.  And I did this by just deciding that I was going to LEARN TO LIKE IT.  I know that sounds nuts, but I did.  And you know what?  I think it worked.  Because I'm not running much right now due to a bit of plantar fasciitis and I miss it.  Really. 

• Like 4

:svengo: It never occurred to me to approach it like this. Seriously.  We'll take time to relax and maybe do a little of nothing, but often I get anxious about not getting "stuff" done. If I knew I was working towards that afternoon of freedom, I think I would probably have a better attitude about certain things.

Does everyone in your house get that this is not the time to ask for homework help or whatever else needs to be done?

I will say that since we have a farm it doesn't ALWAYS work that way. I mean if it's a sunny day and there are a couple of MUST DOs and the rest of the week will rain, then I don't get my sunday off. As far as the rest of the stuff...(confession) My kids frequently get all the screen time they want on Sunday. When the weather's gorgeous, we might ban screens and tell them to read or play outside. but no, I wouldn't help with schoolwork on a Sunday. No, I won't help with a messy craft on a Sunday. etc.

I want them to realize that mom really needs a day of rest in there.

• Like 1

Yoga isn't one of the three Rs but 7yods and I treat it as if it was. Ten minutes a day isn't very much, but it makes the world seem like a better place.

I don't have time or money for classes either, but I'm old enough to remember when library books would do and the libraries don't even want this any more:

http://www.betterworldbooks.com/be-a-frog-a-bird-or-a-tree-rachel-carr-s-creative-yoga-exercises-for-children-id-9780385003391.aspx

• Like 2

i have always been fairly thin (vary 5 pounds) but I have not always made healthy choices with my food or my exercise. When things get busy or stressful, i tend to eat snack foods, bars and prepackaged foods. I also tend to slack off on my exercise. But I recently rejoined a gym, which is open 24 hours a day and just a quick 10 minute drive from my house--the convenience is more important than joining the fancy gym 30 minutes away. I like to just take an hour and zip over and do the treadmill or steps and weights and be back home before anyone has noticed I've gone.

I also am trying to make regular morning time for Bible reading, prayer, meditation and journaling. I have been slacking the past couple of weeks but hope to get back to it. This really makes my day so much more pleasant and sane.

I have always slept a lot. Probably 9-10 hours a night most nights. I just need a lot of sleep, and love a lot of sleep. Ive tried to change, but it never works. So i've accepted that i need a lot of sleep. I rarely get sick, so i figure maybe that has to do with sleeping a lot LOL. I have also begun taking curcumin, chinese herbs for qi vacuity, and omega 3's regularly. 

One thing we are really bad about is family meals. We often sit at the coffee table, each of us reading a book. I have tried to institute family dinner night but it never sticks. My husband and I work random hours so we are often not home at the same time, so that doesn't help. But i'd like to try again.

• Like 4

SLEEP! I do *try* to sleep 7+ hours a night. If I get less, I try to structure the day so that I am in bed for half an hour in the afternoon resting.  I am so much nicer and happier. 

I try to exercise a few days a week.  A few days a week is better than no days a week, and every day is simply unrealistic for me in this season.

Mental health: a hot bath, sufficient rest, and a babysitter for 4 hours on friday afternoon.  I use these hours to do a tiny bit of 'work' (housework sometimes, or lesson planning) but otherwise I use them to do whatever I want.  This often includes writing, reading, hand-sewing while watching a movie....literally, whatever!  

Morning pages, as you mentioned.   :)

I try to keep my house fairly clean/tidy (it's not magazine-perfect, but I am not embarrassed for people to drop in), stay on top of the laundry, make good meals a priority.  These are just daily things.  Other daily things include doing a little something creative every day (even if it is 10 minutes of sewing up a seam) and getting fresh air every day (even if it is just sweeping the porch). 

We also take Sundays off and do what we like.  I love Sundays.  I was inspired to do this by my closest neighbor and very good friend, who is a traditional Mennonite.  They take Sundays off *entirely*. I started to realize that with a small amount of prep on Saturday I could do this too.  My husband naps, I lounge, maybe we take a walk, we just enjoy our afternoon and evening.  

I am not a perfectionist. This has been the biggest and best thing I have done for myself, as someone who struggled violently with perfectionism and the self-idolization that entails for many years. I am more creative, more grace-filled and happier as a result. 

• Like 1

What good habits, good routines, do you maintain and that you could maintain for a lifetime that make the quality of your life better?

What a great question!!  I've got several, with one caveat--some of these were easier than others to institute as part of my life, but I've managed to incorporate them.

I gave up soda.  Wasn't addicted to it, but now that I don't drink it, I'm amazed at how much it's available.  I don't buy it for my family and for my kids, it's something they get at other people's homes.  One of my children gave it up at the same time.  We neither one miss it.  

I floss my teeth.  Healthy gums are very important and I want my teeth to be beautiful for a lifetime.

I read something for myself daily.  I belong to a couple of book clubs, so even if my reading is for one of those, that's ok...but checking someone's paper doesn't count.  

I eat a low carb, vegetarian diet that doesn't include sugar, except for fruit.  This doesn't mean I don't have chips and salsa once in a while.  But it does mean that 90% of my food choices are for my health.  I feel my best when I am full because I ate a spinach salad with lots of avocado, not because I ate a 1/2 box of crackers, kwim?  If I need something sweet, I eat dark chocolate.  But sweets have never been of big interest to me.  Fruit is plenty sweet on its own, especially if you don't eat other sweets.  This is also NOT a struggle for me, because I feel so much better eating this way.  I may not feel so positive about this if it was hard!

At the very least, I walk or climb stairs daily.  Yes, my life gets crazy, too.  I spend time with sick kids, help out a friend in need, the weather interferes, etc, but I can always climb up and down the stairs inside my house.  I feel better when I do this, so I do it.  It takes no special equipment and usually no one bothers me.  

I only wear shoes that are comfortable.  Not sure if this counts as a habit, but it sure has made a difference in my life.  And I've not had to compromise how cute my shoes are, I just can't wear all cute shoes.

We have a family dog.  I believe this is important for many reasons, but suffice it to say it's at the top of my list for a good life.

I've stopped trying to be everyone's best friend and have settled for fewer, closer friendships.  This has brought a lot of inner peace and has made my life more full and rich.  

There may be others, but these things come to mind.  I may post others if I think of some.

• Like 5

I love this idea of things that we can do for years and decades, not just quick fix things that really aren't fixes after all.

I try to exercise at least 20 minutes a day 6 days a week.  It might be an exercise DVD, a walk with a friend, peddling the exercise bike, etc.

I try to get outside as much as possible.  We have horses so I am out to the barn 3 times a day caring for them in all weather but I also find that the more exercise I can do outside the better I like it.

Take time for other people........a quick note, a phone call, email, facebook message, etc. might really make their day.......and yours.

Try something new.  It helps your mental health.  This past year I went on many Women of Adventure activities with a group of ladies at church.  Laser tag, walks, bike rides, kayaking, exercise class, etc.  Some l really enjoyed, others I didn't but glad I at least tried.  It helps bring you out of your comfortable little circle of life.

• Like 1

I'm working on new healthy habits. I've always parked far away in parking lots - surely I can push the cart another 25 feet. 

I let the dog sleep on the bed - seriously I woke up one night and she was staring at me in an adoring way. I really want to be as great as my dog thinks I am. She has separation anxiety and when I get home from school it's like I've been gone for days. 

Music - I play it often. I have certain soundtracks and CDs that I rotate and bask in. I think every life needs a soundtrack. 

Sleep - this one is hard lately. I slept until 9am yesterday after going to be at 9:30 the night before. I was so tired. I tracked my ideal number of hours a few years ago, 9. It's hard to get that many in a night. 

Feed the teen - there are some things that don't matter if ds is hungry. He's tiny and we have a tiny food budget. I hate to cook and am not at home half the time anymore. He cooks for himself. I woke up to the fact he made chili-mac last after I went to bed. I never even heard him in the kitchen. There are some times I have to focus more on quantity than quality, but him not being hungry helps keep me sane. 

Remember my likes and interests are important - I'm leaning toward adding a minor that probably won't add much to my resume, but it is something I'm passionate about and have little time to do lately. The minor would allow me time to do that, which I'm discovering that doing that hobby keep me calm. 

Work on not worrying about the things that won't matter in five years - that's an ongoing thing. You cannot replace time. 

Finding a place to matter - For years that has been in the home. As ds is growing up, I'm having a harder time finding that spot. At college, I have some acquaintances but nothing has moved into a real friendship yet. At home, the neighborhood kind of keeps to itself and I have no time for local activities anyway. I don't have anyone local to call up and go out to coffee with at some spontaneous moment- I miss that. 

• Like 2

I take my medication. I am getting back into low carb eating. I have a fit bit but have set it aside for now. The beginning transition back to low carb leaves me kind of weak. When I adapt, I will start walking more and counting steps. Right new I am struggling to get basics done.

I see this as balance. Concentrate on one thing and then gradually add others. When I try to do everything I end up quitting all of it.

I go in my room in the evening and listen to relaxing music on Pandora while I read or go online.

I love the idea of special items on a laundry room shelf. I've considered getting an over the sink shelf and put pleasant things on it. This would make washing dishes a nicer experience.

• Like 1

I love reading these responses! Like others have mentioned, I try hard (really hard!) to get enough sleep every day. I don't do well with less than 7-8. Inadequate sleep makes me irritable and no fun to be around.

Alzheimer's and dementia seems to be common in my family, so I try to keep my mind engaged daily in things better than just Internet reading. I might do a puzzle, definitely read (nonfiction mostly) etc. What are these 'Morning Pages' you all speak of? :)

I do a balance with food. I can maintain my weight and not feel deprived if I eat all things in moderation. Most days I eat nuts, avocados, hummus, vegetables, salads, etc. My DH doesn't eat this way, and 2 of my boys prefer not to also. Last night, we had Sonic. I had a cheeseburger and I'm ok with that. I won't be eating one today. It's all about moderation for my lifestyle. I can easily maintain that forever.

I really make an effort to get a break before I turn full-blown crazy. :). Meaning, if I'm having a rough day, I speak up and tell DH I need a day out, afternoon out, or whatever. I also routinely take mini-breaks in the evening with a hot bath.

Thank you for the question OP! It's good to think about.

• Like 2

I subscribe to the 80:20 school of thought. I do the "right things" 80% of the time.

These are part of my 80%:

--sleeping 7-8 hours each night

--eating 5+ servings of fruits and veg a day

--strenuous exercise with sustained heart rate for at least 30 min (usually 45 min, according to my FitBit stats) each day

--drinking more than 64 oz of unsweetend, decaffeinated beverages a day

--quiet time for myself every single day to read without noise or interruptions

These are part of my 20%:

---alcoholic beverages

--cheesecake or a bagel or dark chocolate or ...

--lying around like a slug

--giving into stress, sigh

Sometimes all the 20%s happen on the same day. Sometimes 20% of my day will be the "wrong" stuff. I've been gradually moving into this way of thought for four years. The strenuous exercise part was the last piece of the puzzle that is my life.

As long as I keep that balance, I feel strong and healthy and happy :)

• Like 5

I only wear shoes that are comfortable. Not sure if this counts as a habit, but it sure has made a difference in my life. And I've not had to compromise how cute my shoes are, I just can't wear all cute shoes.

We have a family dog. I believe this is important for many reasons, but suffice it to say it's at the top of my list for a good life.

I would not have thought to write these down, but yes! these two things are high on my priority list.

A couple other small changes: I love sweets, but I know they're not healthy in the quantities I would like to consume, so I let myself indulge once in awhile, but I only eat what I really love. For instance, if I eat ice cream, it's high quality coffee ice cream. If I'm going to have it, I'm going to really love it. If I have a soda, it's going to be Coke. If I have candy, it's either almond m-n-m's or Reese's pb cup. And I don't keep any of this stuff at my house. I can seriously go through a big bag of almond m-n-m's in two days. So I treat myself ocassionally with a small portion.

I also try to go outside each day, which goes along with my love of hiking and running. Being outside recharges me, relieves anxiety, helps melt away the negative. Even if I just take a short walk with my dogs, it is beneficial. I go out all year long, even in the cold, unless it's icy and dangerous. Sometimes if the roads near my house are icy, I take my dog to town and run in the snow next to the sidewalks. Hard workout, but not slick like the sidewalks. I just have to get outside. I've quit getting sad in the winters since I started doing this. But for you it might be something else. When my kids were younger and I couldn't go out by myself, I would binge read books or sometimes sew. You have to find the thing that refreshes you and that you can do on a regular basis. Regular basis is key!

• Like 1

- SLEEP- I'm in bed for a minimum of 8 hrs- moms can be militant about getting their young kids enough sleep but not themselves, it is no less important for us.

-Sunday is a rest day- unless absolutely avoidable we don't schedule anything except family events on Sundays, usually getting in some type of family fitness activity (FFA as I call them), biking, walking, canoeing etc.  Usually there is a nap in there, I generally only take a short cat nap but it is glorious.

-time alone to myself in the morning- it was so hard on me when I had insomnia and slept in, I need the quiet time to be my best

- being as active as my body allows in the moment

-outside every day the weather isn't downright miserable, ideally at least a short walk everyday

My diet is pretty restricted, so I guess that isn't easy, I'd rather it not be that way but my body seems to demand it at this point to function well.

• Like 1

I'm really not good at doing things just for me.  But I have taken on responsibilities that lead to pleasure and health, which force me to take that time: a dog and a large garden.  We've had both for six years, and I have been forced to walk several miles a day (even before I started to increase my activity a couple of months ago) and work outside for at least six hours a week, nine months of the year.

• Like 3

I have started to try to always stand when I'm on the phone.  I don't know whether I will stick to it, but that's my current thing.

Also I use an old healthrider a bit most mornings.  Even though I can't do it for very long, it doesn't make me hurt afterwards and it has noticeably increased my flexibility and strength.

And I'm doing WW Online, and trying to look at food as fuel more so than entertainment.  It's working!

The next thing I want to add, in my baby steps way, is a standing desk for paperwork and my computer.  Maybe even a treadmill desk eventually.  Baby steps.  One thing at a time.  Little by little.

• Like 1

I love reading these responses! Like others have mentioned, I try hard (really hard!) to get enough sleep every day. I don't do well with less than 7-8. Inadequate sleep makes me irritable and no fun to be around.

Alzheimer's and dementia seems to be common in my family, so I try to keep my mind engaged daily in things better than just Internet reading. I might do a puzzle, definitely read (nonfiction mostly) etc. What are these 'Morning Pages' you all speak of? :)

I do a balance with food. I can maintain my weight and not feel deprived if I eat all things in moderation. Most days I eat nuts, avocados, hummus, vegetables, salads, etc. My DH doesn't eat this way, and 2 of my boys prefer not to also. Last night, we had Sonic. I had a cheeseburger and I'm ok with that. I won't be eating one today. It's all about moderation for my lifestyle. I can easily maintain that forever.

I really make an effort to get a break before I turn full-blown crazy. :). Meaning, if I'm having a rough day, I speak up and tell DH I need a day out, afternoon out, or whatever. I also routinely take mini-breaks in the evening with a hot bath.

Thank you for the question OP! It's good to think about.

Julia Cameron wrote a book several year's ago called The Artist's Way, which was about recovering your creativity.  "Morning pages" are one of the tools she suggest using.

I read the book when I was pregnant with our youngest and there happened to be book club for it starting at our local Barnes and Noble. That was a transforming experience. The book was fun, but combined with a group of women of all ages and backgrounds, it was amazing. I made morning pages a ritual, getting up before the little ones and writing in my favorite colors of gel pens. I did it for years and it felt like it cleared out mental space. She also suggests going on "artist's dates," which for me meant going somewhere during the week that would inspire me, something I wouldn't usually do. My kids were 4 and 2 and my husband traveled a ton. Taking a bit of time while the kids were with a sitter or my mom and going to a plant nursery and walking around and listening to the fountains, while touching greenry was so healing. I even made it to a few poetry readings. The goal was try something new, stretch your boundaries.

• Like 4

I'm awful at self care. I put myself last all of the time. It's a very, very bad habit. I love reading the simplicity of the responses. I'm such a black and white person. If I feel like I can't do it all, then I don't do any of it at all. And right now I'm in a big slump. Perhaps, I should start off incorporating 1 or 2 meaningful habits then add on as time passes. This thread is VERY inspiring. Thank you for starting it.

• Like 4

One of the things I've started doing again is sending handwritten notes and letters. I used to do it when the kids were little and napping but got out of the habit when they dropped afternoon quiet time. Youngest is fifteen now, so it's been a while.

Thanks for starting the thread and the book suggestion.

• Like 3

If I want to nap. Fine

Thank you for starting this thread. I really need to start doing the above, a day for me. Or at least first half hour of the day for me. I thought sending my oldest kuds to school would make my life easy peasy, but I find myself always on the move and stressed. Jogging is the only time I feel completely free and without all the weight on my shoulders.

As far as staying healthy, I stopped drinking soda and other sugary drinks a few tears ago and never looked back. I stck to water and mineral water. My skin thanks me for it.

I'm awful at self care. I put myself last all of the time. It's a very, very bad habit. I love reading the simplicity of the responses. I'm such a black and white person. If I feel like I can't do it all, then I don't do any of it at all. And right now I'm in a big slump. Perhaps, I should start off incorporating 1 or 2 meaningful habits then add on as time passes. This thread is VERY inspiring. Thank you for starting it.

I have really struggled with perfectionism off and on and it can make considering changes a paralytic experience.

Some of that has slipped away, thankfully, and I am realizing that it's not the grand gestures that really support balance, peace of mind, and health. There have been so many good suggestions here and I am grateful to all that responded.

I think your plan is a good one. Pick one or two ideas that resonate with you.

One author that I have liked through the years and all the various stages of my life is Cheryl Richardson. If you are interested, see if you can find her books at the library. She talks a lot about "extreme self care" which is anything but extreme; she's a gentle and soothing author and has a free newsletter that has food for thought.

Best wishes. :grouphug:

So Edith Schaeffer once wrote that "When people insist on perfection or nothing, they get nothing."  This was in the context of human relationships, but I came to embrace this concept on so many fronts of my life: cleaning house, working out, eating healthfully, creative endeavors.  You are right to use the word "simplicity".  Doing something only a tiny bit of the time, and doing it even badly, is better than forgoing doing it at all.  Do a tiny bit today.  

Doing a tiny bit creates its own energy that then boosts you to do a tiny bit tomorrow.  Then the next day....and if you miss a day, that's okay too. 

• Like 4

My big one is pretty recent, but I have found that hiking with my kids once a week has made a real difference in my mood and our lives.  My kids are young, so I don't have much to worry about regarding school work and I consider the 4 hours we spend on the trail to be more important right now.   We go to the same place almost every time, one that has room to climb trees, wade in a river, go off the path, fish, dig in the sand or mud, or find bugs.

My father is 57 and, I know I keep mentioning it-sorry, has early onset Alzheimer's.  I can not put into words the difference in his ability to talk, recall things, and even walk when he hits the trail with us and when he doesn't. 

I wake up early, and drink my coffee and relax on the couch. Then one by one, my kids wake up and come in and hug me. I love it. I try to keep my  mornings peaceful. I open the doors and let the morning breeze in (So Cal) 

During the day, I try to remain stress free. I am making it a habit of doing my hair and at least a little makeup most days. If I feel put together, I will more likely take care of myself more. 

I try to cook home cooked meals that are healthy and drink only water ( or black coffee in the morning ) 

I just got a treadmill. My goal is to walk a mile a day. Small goal, but I know it will at least get done. 

I don't hold grudges. My father was a bitter man and suffered a massive heart attack a few years back, I truly feel his mean spirit and bitterness had a lot to do with it. He was not overweight, and ate healthy.

My Biggest tip I could share with others, is to love one another and give more than you take. I truly believe our bodies are so complex that our emotions control our well being. Love as God loved. 

• Like 1