Menu

Help me choose the right kind of dog!

klmama

We would like to get a dog.  Here are the qualities we would like:

Tall enough for us to sit on the floor and hug, but not so big that it knocks us over.  The size of a small-medium Labrador would be fine.

Doesn't shed or doesn't shed much. Dry hair, not oily hair.  Prefer not to have very short fur, but not super long, either.

Big bark, but used sparingly. Will bark once or twice when someone rings the doorbell, but isn't yappy. 

Does such a dog exist?  What would you recommend? 

Well, a standard poodle might be the answer. Mine is fantastic with kids, and doesn't shed. He's an excellent watch dog, too. Medium energy breed, that doesn't require the kind of exercise working breeds usually do.

Though mine is 64 lbs. and sometimes does like to jump up on people. We've not been super strict on that so chalk that up to bad owners, lol.

• Like 2

You need to think about energy level and grooming needs  --

How much time are you able and willing to put into exercising a dog?  Be realistic here.  Many people over-estimate what they're able or willing to do in this department, and many people over-estimate how much the kids will play with the dog.

Think about grooming needs -- "Doesn't shed or doesn't shed much" almost always means a dog who needs regular haircuts.  Is the money for that in your budget?  Most low/non-shedding dogs need a trip to the groomer every four to eight weeks.  Depending on the size of the dog and your location, that can cost anywhere from $50 to a couple of hundred.  If you want to do it yourself, is the money to buy the necessary equipment in your budget?  A good clipper for a dog runs around $150 - $200.  And of course for that kind of dog how long the hair is is up to you, but keep in mind that the longer the hair is the more time someone will have to devote to daily combing/brushing to prevent matting.  If you don't keep up with coat care a low/non-shedding dog can very quickly become a tangled, matted mess.  And matting is very painful for a dog and can cause many skin issues if not dealt with promptly.

A part of a how much (or not) a dog barks is genetic.  The other part is training.  How much time/effort are you willing to spend training?  What previous experience do you have training a dog?  Are you willing/able to take the dog to an obedience class?

Having worked in rescue, these are all things we regularly advise potential dog adopters to consider.

If you're able to handle the exercise and grooming needs, then a smallish Standard Poodle might be a possibility.  They tend to be super smart dogs that train relatively easily.

• Like 8

Our Portuguese Water Dog matches your description. He has wavy soft coat but needs to be cut every 8 weeks and brushed a couple of times a week. He rarely barks. He is smaller than Labs, Goldens, shepherds type dogs. He's about 50 lbs. he is funny, energetic, sweet, happy. He was/is a really good puppy. He follows me around all day or hangs with the kids he doesn't like to be alone. This is our second one so we have had a PWD for the last 11 years. Before that we had Boxers and Labs

There are tests you can take online to see what kind of dog would best fit your family.   I think if you do a search for "What kind of dog should I get" quiz you'll probably find several to take.

We have a 60lb shepherd that would fit your bill except that they shed.  There are deshedding tools to use... so I think your option is whether you want to deal with de-shedding tools or doggy clips. 

From what I've heard (and others will probably know better) water dogs are the ones that smell because there's a certain oil they produce being water dogs.  I don't know if this is what you are referring to when you said you didn't want oily hair.

We went through the doggy adoption process this past winter.  I found the quizzes & talking to doggy people were both very helpful in getting me started.  It esp. helped me to eliminate ones we knew we didn't want.

We have 2 newfoundlands and they're hands down the best breed we've owned. They're bigger than labs but so calm and gentle, I can't imagine them knocking anyone over. They are super easy- going, one doesn't even bark at the doorbell. Good with strangers and other dogs, but intimidating because of their size. They have low exercise needs, and I brush them maybe once a week, much less shedding than some other breeds we've had (labs and mastiffs).

non shedding, but doesn't need haircuts, means terrier in my book, or other wire coated dog. Airedale comes to mind. Otherwise, standard poodle. (You can keep them in a less froo froo cut, so they don't look "silly" )

Or Springer Spaniel might be the size you want, they shed, but not as much as say, a golden retriever. 

This is definitely smaller than you're wanting, but look into a Boston terrier/Pug cross.  Mine is a short haired brindle and barely sheds at all nor does she require any grooming.  She was very easily trained and is not a high energy dog.  She's very calm and can go anywhere.  She has a bladder of steel (definitely look into whether the breed you're considering is known to engage in submissive peeing - not fun) and despite her small size, she's a very hardy dog.  She doesn't have a yippy bark - it's more serious and she doesn't bark unless someone's at the door.  

I am not even close to being a dog person.  But I really love our dog.  She's just easy and nice to have around and I never have to worry about her.

• Like 1

I'd get an Akita.   Note, I love Akitas.  But, except for the size it fits your description to a tee.  Although, they are low-energy dogs so they don't bounce around, and therefore don't knock anyone over.  We got one when DD was 1.5 years old and shorter than the dog.  Never had a problem with anyone being knocked over.  

These are their characteristics.

1. They are a double-coated dog.  So, they "blow" their coat twice a year.  So, in spring and fall for about 3-4 weeks each, you brush the dog well in the backyard every few days.  Or give the dog a couple of baths during those time periods.  Baths seem to loosen the about-ready-to-fall-out down.  Outside of the twice-yearly blowing of the coat they don't shed.   
  2. The standard coat is short side of medium.  Occasionally some dogs have long-coats but you know that when they are puppies.
  3. They rarely bark and they never boredom bark.  They will do one or two barks and then stop.   But, those one or two barks are loud.  
  4. They are excellent hugging dogs.  They seem to genuinely like it, even giving it just the right amount lean into you without knocking you over.   Other breeds I've known seem to tolerate for our sakes (or not)
  5. They are people-protective.  Any home invader coming in while you are sleeping will be dead or the dog will be dead or both.  Any home invader coming in while you aren't there will probably pat your Akita on the head while stealing your stuff.  Unless, of course, your Akita recognizes a danger to its pack.
  6. They don't heel very well because of the people-protectiveness.  They do great until you meet someone.  Then they KNOW that their position is between you and the stranger until you both make friendly noises.  Attempting to train that away will get the doggy "What are you nuts? look.  
  7. They are a low-energy dog.  They were Japanese hunting dogs for long trips.  So, their default mode is low-energy happiest doing an imitation of an area rug.  (Low-energy dogs eat less, which means the hunters didn't have to bring so much food along for the dogs)  But, when needed, they can have bursts of energy.  
  8. They are big dogs around, 100 lbs.  
  9. They look like muscular German Shepherds 
  10. They tend towards not getting along with other dogs, so you need to well-socialize your Akita puppy.  Once well-socialized they are extremely sweet around other dogs.  

• Like 1

I'd get an Akita. Note, I love Akitas. But, except for the size it fits your description to a tee. Although, they are low-energy dogs so they don't bounce around, and therefore don't knock anyone over. We got one when DD was 1.5 years old and shorter than the dog. Never had a problem with anyone being knocked over.

These are their characteristics.

• They are a double-coated dog. So, they "blow" their coat twice a year. So, in spring and fall for about 3-4 weeks each, you brush the dog well in the backyard every few days. Or give the dog a couple of baths during those time periods. Baths seem to loosen the about-ready-to-fall-out down. Outside of the twice-yearly blowing of the coat they don't shed.
  • The standard coat is short side of medium. Occasionally some dogs have long-coats but you know that when they are puppies.
  • They rarely bark and they never boredom bark. They will do one or two barks and then stop. But, those one or two barks are loud.
  • They are excellent hugging dogs. They seem to genuinely like it, even giving it just the right amount lean into you without knocking you over. Other breeds I've known seem to tolerate for our sakes (or not)
  • They are people-protective. Any home invader coming in while you are sleeping will be dead or the dog will be dead or both. Any home invader coming in while you aren't there will probably pat your Akita on the head while stealing your stuff. Unless, of course, your Akita recognizes a danger to its pack.
  • They don't heel very well because of the people-protectiveness. They do great until you meet someone. Then they KNOW that their position is between you and the stranger until you both make friendly noises. Attempting to train that away will get the doggy "What are you nuts? look.
  • They are a low-energy dog. They were Japanese hunting dogs for long trips. So, their default mode is low-energy happiest doing an imitation of an area rug. (Low-energy dogs eat less, which means the hunters didn't have to bring so much food along for the dogs) But, when needed, they can have bursts of energy.
  • They are big dogs around, 100 lbs.
  • They look like muscular German Shepherds
  • They tend towards not getting along with other dogs, so you need to well-socialize your Akita puppy. Once well-socialized they are extremely sweet around other dogs.

My first thought was Akita, also. I LOVE them and have always had one!

We have a mixed breed rescue that we just love.  Most likely she is Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix.  We got her when she was about 3.  She never once messed in the house, doesn't even poop in the yard (except when the snow is 2ft deep or more) as she runs into the woods to do her business.  She never barks.  Seriously, if she barks more than once a month I would be surprised.  she LOVES her people and follows me everywhere.  We take her on walks almost daily but we have a 5 acre farm so she is loose on the farm 3 times a day for chores and whenever she wants to go out.  No fears she will run away as she loves us way too much.

Take a look at shelters and see what mixed breed dogs they might have that fit your needs/breed desires.  Often the mixed breeds are healthier.

Please borrow a dog that is the size you think you want before you decide on size. I thought I wanted an Old English Sheepdog for my family till my mom brought hers over and the dog was WAY too big for my house. We now have a dog about half that size and he is perfect. We have a Cavachon and I would recommend them but mine is on the larger side at 22 lbs so probably too small for what you want right now. 

Setters! The Irish or the English. Not guardy, not yappy, playful outside, calm & mellow couch potatoes inside.

& yeah, I'm totally biased as setters are my heart dogs :) I have an English field setter.

Flat coated retrievers & poodles & PWD's might work for you too.  I would say no to an akita for any novice dog owner.

Careful about hugging dogs - most dogs dislike it. http://doggonesafe.blogspot.ca/2010/12/dogs-dont-like-hugs-and-kisses.html

But more than the appearance of a dog, consider something I had written recently to someone in rescue who was having issues with people bailing out on dogs. I was suggesting we need to make a new section for the adoption application:

"do you have 10-20 extra hours/week to start a new hobby? Yes? Fill out the rest of the application for this puppy. No? Do you have 7-10 hours? A middle aged mellow dog might suit you; apply for one of those. Less than 7? Adopt a cat. Maybe.

When I spell it out like that to families, many have - quite rightly - chosen not to pursue dog ownership."

• Like 3

We have 2 newfoundlands and they're hands down the best breed we've owned. They're bigger than labs but so calm and gentle, I can't imagine them knocking anyone over. They are super easy- going, one doesn't even bark at the doorbell. Good with strangers and other dogs, but intimidating because of their size. They have low exercise needs, and I brush them maybe once a week, much less shedding than some other breeds we've had (labs and mastiffs).

I love Newfs!  How do you find the drooling?  It's the reason my dh keeps saying no to one.  I keep trying to convince him our Great Pyr needs a Newfie friend.

You'll have to bathe it once every 2-3 months or it will get oily.

Sporting:

Brittany-will need to be brushed once a week, AWESOME personality

Flat Coated Retriever-hair's a little long for you, like a lab but not as energetic

Weimaraner-will require more training because they're so smart, but you can have yourself one h*ll of a dog

Hound:

Greyhound-very easy to rescue

Pharaoh Hound-expensive and rare, but meets your criteria and absolutely gorgeous

Whippet

Working:

Boxer-complete idiots but very sweet

Terrier:

Pit Bull-yeah I know, but they seriously totally rock

Bull Terrier (Target dog)

Breeds to avoid in my not so humble opinion:

Chesapeake Bay-mean

Golden Retriever-ruined by over breeding, stupid

Lab-ruined by over breeding, hyperactive

Cocker Spaniel-ruined by over breeding, stupid

Rhodesian Ridgeback-mean

Akita-mean

Jack Russel-idiots, trouble makers, barkers, will kill every pet rodent and lizard

Boarder Collie--ruined by over breeding, hyperactive

Corgi-I know this makes no sense but every Corgi I know (around 20) rolls in poop every chance it gets

Note: I worked with dogs for four years and my boss did for 25. Every story that I know of where a dog turned on a family (and I know of MANY!) was a chow or rottweiler.

My absolute favorite breeds are Pit Bulls and Beagles. I didn't mention beagles because they bark, but they are such good dogs.

Irish Setters "calm & mellow couch potatoes inside"?  :lol: 

We had an Irish Setter when I was a kid, beautiful great athletic dog, but my mother had to take up Marathon running at 46 (soon setting age-group world records in the process) in order to wear the dog out.

I'd say the only time the dog was calm and mellow was when he was asleep, but even that wasn't true. He used to twitch and move during obvious running dreams.  

Akita. Good choice if one wants an antisocial dog that might kill a stranger or another dog, and among the breeds most resistant to training. Otherwise a potentially disastrous and dangerous choice.

OP, look at the criteria Pawz mentioned above. The questions you are asking, while not invalid, are not the critical questions a potential dog owner should ask themselves.\

Bill

• Like 3

We had an Irish Setter when I was a kid, beautiful great athletic dog, but my mother had to take up Marathon running at 46 (soon setting age-group world records in the process) in order to wear the dog out.

I'd say the only time the dog was calm and mellow was when he was asleep, but even that wasn't true. He used to twitch and move during obvious running dreams.  

LOL., yeah, maybe I should have specified how much running time they need... I kind of forget that part as I take it for granted that everyone will walk or run or hike with their dogs daily.  I mean, what's the point of getting a dog if you're not going to hike daily & spend a bunch of time playing & training? :p  My setter is 11.5yo and still spends 1-2 h daily on walks/runs + gets mental workouts with training + goofs of on agility equipment & on weekends would go for a longer hike.

and yeah, Irish are the most rambunctious imo, then the gordons & then the English. The field/Llewellin are way more active than the show though. They will run & hunt for hours but bring them in & they curl up and sleep. Mind you if you don't run them, you get some ocd & neurotic behavior... but that's true of all the sporting, working & herding breeds....

For people short on time, adopt a middle aged mastiff x or newf x or similar. Those guys just want to go for a small stroll, and hang out on your couch.

• Like 1

LOL., yeah, maybe I should have specified how much running time they need... I kind of forget that part as I take it for granted that everyone will walk or run or hike with their dogs daily.  I mean, what's the point of getting a dog if you're not going to hike daily & spend a bunch of time playing & training? :p  My setter is 11.5yo and still spends 1-2 h daily on walks/runs + gets mental workouts with training + goofs of on agility equipment & on weekends would go for a longer hike.

and yeah, Irish are the most rambunctious imo, then the gordons & then the English. The field/Llewellin are way more active than the show though. They will run & hunt for hours but bring them in & they curl up and sleep. Mind you if you don't run them, you get some ocd & neurotic behavior... but that's true of all the sporting, working & herding breeds....

For people short on time, adopt a middle aged mastiff x or newf x or similar. Those guys just want to go for a small stroll, and hang out on your couch.

I love vigorous active versatile gun-dogs, like Setters. We now have the most awesome 11 month old Vizsla. He is an incredible dog. Handsome, athletic, and very affectionate (he actually insists on hugs).

But boy do I discourage casual inquiries by people taken with the beauty. These dogs need to run for hours everyday, and need mental stimulation and training time  working with their human to be happy. Very demanding dogs. I love ours to death. But in the wrong home a Vizsla could be a disaster.

Bill

• Like 2

I love vigorous active versatile gun-dogs, like Setters. We now have the most awesome 11 month old Vizsla. He is an incredible dog. Handsome, athletic, and very affectionate (he actually insists on hugs).

But boy do I discourage casual inquiries by people taken with the beauty. These dogs need to run for hours everyday, and need mental stimulation and training time  working with their human to be happy. Very demanding dogs. I love ours to death. But in the wrong home a Vizsla could be a disaster.

Bill

Yep.

Anybody who is considering a dog who is a member of the pointing group needs to think very long and very hard and very honestly.  They're the marathon athletes of the dog world, and therefore they really aren't IMO suitable for the average couch potato family.  We have an almost 15 yo Brittany that we've had since he was a puppy, and in all those years the only person I've ever recommended one to was a couple who mountain biked.  The mom and dad took turns, with one of them mountain biking most days.  The dad told they usually went ten miles or so and wanted to know if a Brittany could handle it.  I told him that would probably be an adequate amount of exercise for a young Brittany. ;)

All kidding aside -- IME the #1 mistake most people make when choosing a dog is making looks the top criteria.  That's usually a recipe for disaster.  As the saying goes, you can learn to love the looks of any dog.  Living with a dog whose personality/temperament or exercise needs aren't a good match can be miserable.

• Like 3

Yes, please consider the exercise needs of the dog and if you realistically can meet those needs.

We just love our Aussie and she is really mellow for an Aussie but she goes on 2-3 miles walks a day with me, on hikes where she is allowed to run free (we are rural), she is out in the barn with us for an hour or more a day running free, she tags along on horseback rides of several miles at a time.  The herding part is great for us as she wants to stay close to us and while she will chase a squirrel or rabbit for a minute, she isn't a hunting dog that will take off on a scent trail and never come back.

• Like 2

Comment on Airedales and Standard Poodles - I have had both. Both need regular haircuts -every 6-8weeks to look great (I like them lookng great!). Poodles are way more affectionate than Airedales. I loved our Airedale, but she patrolled our property and absolutely did not like cuddling even though she loved us and lived in the house. The poodle is a snuggler, but not brave like the Airedale. Airedales have very strong personalities and need a strong Alpha personality to get a good dog. I think I'm going to have more of a heart connection with our poodle. She has energy through the roof, though. Needs a good strong 1/2 hour of exercise a day at least!

• Like 1

If you are willing to learn to groom or take him/her to the groomer, I would recommend a Standard Poodle.  We now have our third one.  They are great dogs.  Ours is a definitely a watch dog.  She barks more than our other two did, but she can be easily calmed down.  The males are usually bigger than the females.  Before my male died, he ranged from 55-60 pounds.  Our female now weighs about 45 pounds.  They are super smart and such fun to own.

Suzanne

• Like 1

Akita. Good choice if one wants an antisocial dog that might kill a stranger or another dog, and among the breeds most resistant to training. Otherwise a potentially disastrous and dangerous choice.

OP, look at the criteria Pawz mentioned above. The questions you are asking, while not invalid, are not the critical questions a potential dog owner should ask themselves.\

Bill

Dear lord, hell is freezing over. I agree with Bill on both these points!!!  

Seriously, Akitas are hard to read behavior wise, and tend to be one person dogs, not family dogs. There are man exceptions, but a novice owner won't be able to tell if theirs is the exception. Working in the vet field for 2 decades I saw two children mauled, and one was by an Akita. (the other was, believe it or not, a Labrador. A really freaking scary labrador. I am positive that dog had a brain tumor or something.) Oh, and trust the advice of your vet. We warned both those families of the danger and neither would listen to us. It was heartbreaking, knowing what could happen, and not being able to stop it. Oh, and the one family KEPT the freaking Akita (it was only a puppy, scariest damn puppy I ever saw) and the other family put the dog down (right call, finally) and told everyone there was "no warning" the dog just turned on them "out of the blue". If you call almost killing two other creatures, and several professionals begging you to put the dog down "no warning", sure. 

Anyway, no weimaraner either. A springer spaniel, maybe. Or a nice mellow mutt. Something houndish. I'm personally a HUGE fan of pit bulls, but they do shed. 

• Like 2

Bill

Reminds me of when I had weimaraners. One of whom was from field/hunting lines. That dog..she was my soul mate. And harder to raise than any of my children. I remember being estatic the first time she laid down to rest, without having to be locked in her crate. She was 7 months old. That's right, that was the first time I'd seen her just lay and rest since I'd brought her home at 9 weeks old. Before that, the only way to get her to rest was to put her in a crate with no toys in it. 

I could take her to a giant dog park and let her run for 2 hours, and she'd still be ready to play and run when we got home. Oh, and I lived in a apartment. Because I was an idiot. I basically had to devote a good portion of my life to that dog until she was about 2 yrs old. 

I will have another weim some day, but not until I have the time for what is nearly a full time job. Everytime someone stopped to tell me how beautiful she was, I'd say, "yes, she is, I love her. Do NOT get one."

• Like 2

A little bigger than you want, but we have a saint bernard and he's low energy, terribly affectionate, doesn't need haircuts, doesn't wander, isn't overly barky (but will bark once at the door), and is just a giant love bug. We've had him here with babies and toddlers and he's NEVER knocked one over- he moves slowly and gingerly around them.

I think people discount the big dogs thinking they'll have a ton of energy and be wild, but my favorite dogs we've had as a family have been giants. Our Pyr was amazing, too. 

Reminds me of when I had weimaraners. One of whom was from field/hunting lines. That dog..she was my soul mate. And harder to raise than any of my children. I remember being estatic the first time she laid down to rest, without having to be locked in her crate. She was 7 months old. That's right, that was the first time I'd seen her just lay and rest since I'd brought her home at 9 weeks old. Before that, the only way to get her to rest was to put her in a crate with no toys in it. 

I could take her to a giant dog park and let her run for 2 hours, and she'd still be ready to play and run when we got home. Oh, and I lived in a apartment. Because I was an idiot. I basically had to devote a good portion of my life to that dog until she was about 2 yrs old. 

I will have another weim some day, but not until I have the time for what is nearly a full time job. Everytime someone stopped to tell me how beautiful she was, I'd say, "yes, she is, I love her. Do NOT get one."

Ah yes. My last dog was a Weimaraner, and an "off-the-charts" super-athlete among the breed.

He made the Vizsla look easy, but had the sort of stamina that was rare. It took taking him out with multiple sets of horses (usually 3) on long conditioning runs with the dog galloping ahead of fast thoroughbreds, cantering up mountains, with the horses lathered up to start to put a dent in his energy. After 3 hard sets he'd come back and chase horses around the paddock. It was ridiculous. 

Beach days would mean hitting a tennis ball (with a racket) as far out into heavy Malibu surf as possible, with the dog charging out into the ocean after it, running back as hard as he could handing over the ball with an excited glint in his eyes (saying "hit it again") and this would go on for 2 or 3 hours (until I tired, not him). 5-8 hours of hard exercise a day was the minimum.Plus mandatory hours of training time. He NEEDED to work with and for his human. Without mental work  time a day was not done.

It was an incredible experience, but—yeah—childrearing is less work :D

I laughed when I read you say, "every time someone stopped to tell me how beautiful she was, I'd say, "yes, she is, I love her. Do NOT get one." I do the same thing with the Vizsla. People are always taken with what a beautiful (and good-natured, kind dog) he is. But I tell 'em NOT TO GET ONE. Not if they don't know what they're getting into.

Bill

• Like 1

LOL on the weimaraners.  I've worked with them before and I've seen the damage they've done to people's houses when people left them alone in there for hours.  People who had not done their homework.  Poor under exercised, under worked dogs.  This one dog loved me so much because I would work him but he'd give me these love nips (little pinches with his teeth) that hurt!  

• Like 2

Wow, I wasn't expecting such a huge response!  Thank you for all the ideas! 

We are most likely to get a dog from the humane society, but it helps to have an idea of what breeds might work for what we want, since they often give a guess on what kind of mix the dogs there are.  I didn't realize there were online dog-search criteria pages.  I'll have to check that out.

Dh and I both grew up with dogs and have a pretty good understanding of how much work and exercise are involved (which is why we waited until the kids were older).  We've taken care of friends' dogs for extended periods of time, and everyone in the family prefers the mid-sized to larger ones, for a variety of reasons.  If we could have cloned one of those friends' dogs, we would have (see description in OP).  He was a wonderful mutt. 

I walk about 2 miles per day year round, so I want a dog that is satisfied with that amount and that can stand being out in the cold for half an hour without wearing a sweater.  No Weimaraners or other hunting dogs.  They are very nice, but I'm not up for running with them, and we don't hunt.  No herding dogs, either.  Nice dogs, but there's nothing to herd here but squirrels. 

We want a dog that is friendly.  Several people in the neighborhood have Akitas; two are terrified of strangers and cower behind their owners, while the other two are polite, but aloof.  I'm glad some of you have had good experiences with them, but I want a dog that's friendlier with other people than that. 

I don't like drool.  Licking is okay, but not drooling.  I'll take a look at the Akbash; I never heard of it before.  The smile is cute, and the fur and size look about right.  Thanks, Margaret!  ETA:  Oops, I didn't catch that it was a herding dog. Maybe not what I'm looking for after all.  Beautiful dog, though!

Off to search for dog-match websites.  Thanks, everyone!

• Like 1

Ah yes. My last dog was a Weimaraner, and an "off-the-charts" super-athlete among the breed.

He made the Vizsla look easy, but had the sort of stamina that was rare. It took taking him out with multiple sets of horses (usually 3) on long conditioning runs with the dog galloping ahead of fast thoroughbreds, cantering up mountains, with the horses lathered up to start to put a dent in his energy. After 3 hard sets he'd come back and chase horses around the paddock. It was ridiculous. 

Beach days would mean hitting a tennis ball (with a racket) as far out into heavy Malibu surf as possible, with the dog charging out into the ocean after it, running back as hard as he could handing over the ball with an excited glint in his eyes (saying "hit it again") and this would go on for 2 or 3 hours (until I tired, not him). 5-8 hours of hard exercise a day was the minimum.Plus mandatory hours of training time. He NEEDED to work with and for his human. Without mental work  time a day was not done.

It was an incredible experience, but—yeah—childrearing is less work :D

I laughed when I read you say, "every time someone stopped to tell me how beautiful she was, I'd say, "yes, she is, I love her. Do NOT get one." I do the same thing with the Vizsla. People are always taken with what a beautiful (and good-natured, kind dog) he is. But I tell 'em NOT TO GET ONE. Not if they don't know what they're getting into.

Bill

Ah, yes, you know!  She finally turned into a more normal dog around 7 yrs old. But even then, I'd bring her to work sometimes, and she wouldn't sit down the entire time. Just paced the reception area for hours, watching, looking, gaurding, etc. 

My other weim was from show lines (famous ones, it' turns out...she was a rescue so I didn't know that until I looked at her pedigree later) and was the total opposite. I used to say she was just a grey hound dog. She was laid back, loving, and lazy. But she had horrid separation anxiety that, after 5 yrs of remission, came back in old age and eventually required she be put down. The breed is prone to it, and she had exentuating life circumstances before I got her. 

I've often thought that Vislas and GSP seem like Weimaraner Lite, lol. 

I love Newfs! How do you find the drooling? It's the reason my dh keeps saying no to one. I keep trying to convince him our Great Pyr needs a Newfie friend.

Well...apparently there are either "wet mouth" or "dry mouth" newfs, we have one of each. Our wet mouth girl has some pretty big "slingers" but the other one is no worse than other dogs we've had. But her personality makes her worth the drool!

Ah, yes, you know!  She finally turned into a more normal dog around 7 yrs old. But even then, I'd bring her to work sometimes, and she wouldn't sit down the entire time. Just paced the reception area for hours, watching, looking, gaurding, etc. 

My other weim was from show lines (famous ones, it' turns out...she was a rescue so I didn't know that until I looked at her pedigree later) and was the total opposite. I used to say she was just a grey hound dog. She was laid back, loving, and lazy. But she had horrid separation anxiety that, after 5 yrs of remission, came back in old age and eventually required she be put down. The breed is prone to it, and she had exentuating life circumstances before I got her. 

I've often thought that Vislas and GSP seem like Weimaraner Lite, lol. 

My Weimaraner Cosmo also slowed down about 7, then proceeded to age rather rapidly after that. My 9.5 he passed naturally. It was very difficult for me to see a beast that I'd nurtured from 8 weeks, and who was by far the most athletically gifted and one with incomparable energy and stamina, lose that fire so quickly at the end.

I met my future wife just as Cosmo was slowing down. I think she always believed the lore of his "glory days" might have been a wee bit exaggerated. But now that we have the Vizsla she's getting a taste of what having a high-energy young versatile gun-dog is like. Chester, our Vizsla, has reached that age where the last awkwardness of puppyhood is falling away and watching him run is watching poetry in motion. He is like watching a fine racehorse open up. So fast, and tireless. 

I love this Vizsla. DON'T GET ONE! :D

Bill

• Like 2

No, Akbash ARE NOT herding dogs! They're guard dogs! As in, lie around with one eye open, watching sheep graze or kids play. They do not herd, not in a million years. I always say my driveway is safe, at all times, as the big lug is snoozing in the sun in the middle of it. However, he knows where his sheep are, at all times. And you don't mess with his sheep. 

What a fortunate dog to have a life doing what he was made to do.

Bill

Rocky, our male Springer, was a puppy for ten years, a "normal" dog for one year and is now finally acting a little bit like a senior dog at age 12.  But we always said he had puppy ADHD, even for a Springer.  His sister is much more laid back but even she was a puppy for at least four years.  Then she got hit by a car and is partially paralyzed so her activity level has dropped off significantly.  

No, Akbash ARE NOT herding dogs! They're guard dogs! As in, lie around with one eye open, watching sheep graze or kids play. They do not herd, not in a million years. I always say my driveway is safe, at all times, as the big lug is snoozing in the sun in the middle of it. However, he knows where his sheep are, at all times. And you don't mess with his sheep. 

Ah!  Didn't catch the distinction when I read online about guarding the flock.  Guard dogs are great!  Thanks for correcting me! 

Margaret--just wondering if these dogs make good trail partners.  Are they good around horses?  Chickens?  Cats?  Do they tend to stick around home if out loose with their people?

Right now we have an 8-9 year old Aussie/border collie mix who is wonderful to have around the farm.  She doesn't wander, loves to go for walks, follows along (or leads) on the trail rides, etc.

I know though that some Aussies tend to want to "herd" the horses and that can lead to them nipping the horses, horses kicking, etc.  Ours did that one night though when I was gone and dh said he heard her barking and barking (which she never ever barks.....it can be months between barks).  When I got home I found the pasture gate open and the horses GONE.  She had herded them though in the front yard and then took them around back and was trying to head them back to the pasture.

We have a Keeshond. They are pretty rare but might fit the bill. Very friendly, happy, well-adjusted, healthy dogs. They bark, but not excessively. Ours isn't snugly, but I know many are. They have quick bursts of energy but tire quickly. Shedding isn't as bad as you would think and it tends to be in big dust bunnies rather than the short hairs that stick to everything. I brush ours once a month and she's fine with that. She loves everyone and never met a stranger, human or dog. Smart and easy to train.

• Like 1

We have a Keeshond. They are pretty rare but might fit the bill. Very friendly, happy, well-adjusted, healthy dogs. They bark, but not excessively. Ours isn't snugly, but I know many are. They have quick bursts of energy but tire quickly. Shedding isn't as bad as you would think and it tends to be in big dust bunnies rather than the short hairs that stick to everything. I brush ours once a month and she's fine with that. She loves everyone and never met a stranger, human or dog. Smart and easy to train.

You know, I totally forgot about them. I knew a VERY sweet one once. Beautiful dog. 

• Like 1

non shedding, but doesn't need haircuts, means terrier in my book, or other wire coated dog. Airedale comes to mind. Otherwise, standard poodle. (You can keep them in a less froo froo cut, so they don't look "silly" )

Or Springer Spaniel might be the size you want, they shed, but not as much as say, a golden retriever.

My Brittany Spaniel fits most of your criteria. She has shorter hair than the Springer. If you can afford to have her shaved about 3 or 4 times a year your life will be much easier. She does smell when wet, but I put her in her crate until she dries and then the smell is gone. When she gets a bath once a week she is fine.

She is 11 years old now, but was very high energy when younger. ds was 4 when I got her so they played together a lot. I intended for her to be an outside dog but she wouldn't have that. She is very much a people pet. if we are out in the yard she is fine out there....within 30 seconds of us coming in she is howling to come in.

She weighs about 45 pounds. Very gentle. Good alert dog. Not a yapper. Very smart.