Menu

Ignore this thread!

Which brand did you try? We eat a fair bit of vegan cheese.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daiya--it was for the kids as it has coconut in it.

If you know a good vegan coconut free, soy free cheese, I'm in.  I can't find cashew cheese in my area, but I hear there might be a place a bit of a drive away.

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Tex--50mg of Benadryl would do nothing for me.  I need something as strong and long lasting as zyrtec to see any kind of difference with rash.  In any case, all either of them should do is relieve the itchies.  If you think it might be pityriasis rosea, you might try a stint in the sun. Some people find that a little uv exposure helps with the rash.

Daiya--it was for the kids as it has coconut in it.

If you know a good vegan coconut free, soy free cheese, I'm in.  I can't find cashew cheese in my area, but I hear there might be a place a bit of a drive away.

Oh bummer that you guys don't like the Daiya. We like it though dd actually prefers her pizza with no cheese at all.  The big pizza chain here now offers Daiya mozza on their pizzas and it's very popular.... 

Did they object to the smell raw or once cooked? Maybe you have a rancid batch or something? I'm going to see if I have an opened baggie in the fridge to see what it smells like. 

oh & btw, the Daiya brick cheddar is quite different & I've actually fooled an omni into thinking he was eating a very mild 'real' cheddar.  It also grates well so while it's not a mozza, it's a possible topper.  Dd makes it in grilled cheese sandwiches (she likes it better than the slices they sell). Chao is nice too but has coconut... 

As for your request: 

I actually have a recipe bookmarked but I haven't made it yet. I know people who have & they like it. I'm really tempted by it because I'm not a huge fan of cashew based cheeses (& sauces) because they're so high fat. 

So here you go: nut free, soy free, coconut free. Cuts, grates, melts. 

Also consider ordering from Vegan Essentials. Miyoko gets consistently rave reviews but it's even more expensive by the time it gets to Canada & I haven't tried it yet.  https://store.veganessentials.com/cheese-alternatives-c6.aspx

• Like 1

Susan, we've had tears over time problems in the past too.  the struggle is real.

So, earlier today the dog had gotten to his sore spot, so I had to change his bandage.  He "talked" to me a bit while I did it.  I must not do it like dh does it, lol.  (Just like the kids, right?)

And, 7yo dd has been throwing up since 7am this morning, with stomach cramping. 

I cancelled the orthodontist appointments and rescheduled them for next week.

I'm still hoping to go to basketball and soccer tonight.  In the rain.  Alone. 

My Mom is going to grab a gallon of milk for us to hold us over until I can figure out when in my life I can go to the grocery.

Trash needs to be taken (this means drive up the road to the dumpster, not just walk outside.)  I'm getting ready to walk outside and get the mail now.  Checkbook should be balanced and bills paid. 

These are only a few of the reasons why I think I should consider outsourcing what I can for next year.   

• Like 6

Susan, we've had tears over time problems in the past too. the struggle is real.

So, earlier today the dog had gotten to his sore spot, so I had to change his bandage. He "talked" to me a bit while I did it. I must not do it like dh does it, lol. (Just like the kids, right?)

And, 7yo dd has been throwing up since 7am this morning, with stomach cramping.

I cancelled the orthodontist appointments and rescheduled them for next week.

I'm still hoping to go to basketball and soccer tonight. In the rain. Alone.

My Mom is going to grab a gallon of milk for us to hold us over until I can figure out when in my life I can go to the grocery.

Trash needs to be taken (this means drive up the road to the dumpster, not just walk outside.) I'm getting ready to walk outside and get the mail now. Checkbook should be balanced and bills paid.

These are only a few of the reasons why I think I should consider outsourcing what I can for next year.

Oh dear, Lynn! Well wishes being sent your way!
  • Like 2

There is a thread out there in the lesser forum titled "How do I get them to SIT for read-alouds."

I am having to restrain myself from venturing in to reply, "Duct Tape."

Somehow, I don't think they'd get it.

I read that thread, had fingers poised on keyboard and realized I had nothing to say. 

I literally never had that problem. I didn't think that would be helpful. 

I did wade in a couple other threads but am retreating quickly. 

• Like 6

There is a thread out there in the lesser forum titled "How do I get them to SIT for read-alouds."

I used that in response to some extremely hyper 6yo boys in Sunday School class. I got a confused look and they didn't seem to get the joke. :D

• Like 6

If you post it, I'll like it for ya!

• Like 4

Yes! I have wanted to do the same thing.

Yeah, me,too. Although I did find it to be kind of a funny question. I've never had that problem. I didn't know it could be a problem. Unless you're trying to read "War and Peace" to a 5 year old. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

I read that thread, had fingers poised on keyboard and realized I had nothing to say. 

I literally never had that problem. I didn't think that would be helpful. 

I did wade in a couple other threads but am retreating quickly. 

I never required them to sit. :laugh:

• Like 6

I made a nice, homemade gf pizza for lunch.  I used Pamela's bread mix for the crust and expired yeast which I did not allow to rise in the crust but hurriedly baked it, instead.  Then I used expired pizza sauce which was an odd color but tasted fine and topped it with mozzarella and turkey bacon pieces.

I hope we don't all die.

• Like 7

Here is hoping that Lynn's dd feels much better now and that Lynn doesn't get sick.

I hope Tex and her family don't die from expired pizza sauce. Yo, how is that going to look in an obituary?

I do not get to go hunt the queen bee today. School. I will have to go hunt the bee another time.

The scout bees are still checking out the possible digs in an old hive. Don't think they have come to any conclusion yet.

I have a Bluebird male fighting with the Phoebe couple over prime real estate on the front porch. I think the Phoebes have the edge. Down payment in mud and moss, you know. And two of them vs one pushy Bluebird.

I think it is going to be Spring of the Great Wasp Invasion. They are everywhere. :zombiechase:

• Like 7

I'm feeling *much* better today. Eating all the things.

Mary insisted on wearing her purple tutu and her pink and purple cape and two pony tails (because pony's are cooler than pigs) with pink and purple bows while I read her all of the nursery rhymes with "Mary" in them. She knows where they all are in the book.

Lynn, I'm so sorry your baby's sick.

JJM, someone started a thread pre-ITT and asked how one keeps a house clean with 4 children. I said duct tape and got around 50 likes so you're safe.

• Like 8

One of the dogs barfed up her breakfast & her morning meds. 

Now I get to decide if it was just a 'normal' barf because she ate too fast/gulped some water/and ate grass on our walk this morning (which she does all the time) or whether she's feeling unwell. 

If it was a normal barf, I'd feed her again. Otherwise I'd fast her till tonight. 

Also, her breakfast this morning was $3.75 of food wasted. I've been trying different foods with them for the past few months & we keep having to come back to pretty expensive stuff.  Sigh. 

Also, have to wash the floor. 

• Like 3

Duck was here.   :seeya:

But I am not ketchupped, so I am praying fervently that all y'all are well, and that I'll be able to take a break later tonight.  A sprinkle of hugs for anyone in need.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: .

Carpet is in (!!!)  and much loved.  Perfect color.  Super soft.  We danced and did somersaults on it when it first was installed.  Even me, though 2 somersaults reminded me that I am forty.  

Furniture and a hojillion tons of school stuff is not in yet, however.  Which has resulted in CHAOS and my shameful absence from ITT.  But progress is slowly being made.  And Mary Poppins arrives in less than an hour, and meatballs are bubbling in spaghetti sauce for dinner, so more progress will slowly be made by nightfall.  

Whereupon I shall curl up with a cuppa decaf and my ITT friends.

xoxoxoxo,

Duck

(Note to self: Ketchup starts at p. 876.  :svengo: )

• Like 12

Duck was here.   :seeya:

But I am not ketchupped, so I am praying fervently that all y'all are well, and that I'll be able to take a break later tonight.  A sprinkle of hugs for anyone in need.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: .

Carpet is in (!!!)  and much loved.  Perfect color.  Super soft.  We danced and did somersaults on it when it first was installed.  Even me, though 2 somersaults reminded me that I am forty.  

Furniture and a hojillion tons of school stuff is not in yet, however.  Which has resulted in CHAOS and my shameful absence from ITT.  But progress is slowly being made.  And Mary Poppins arrives in less than an hour, and meatballs are bubbling in spaghetti sauce for dinner, so more progress will slowly be made by nightfall.  

Whereupon I shall curl up with a cuppa decaf and my ITT friends.

xoxoxoxo,

Duck

(Note to self: Ketchup starts at p. 876.  :svengo: )

When you're done with Mary Poppins, can you send her this way, please?

ETA:  A strong southerly breeze should do it.  Or if you could give me her phone number.  Thanks!

ETA:  Southerly is the wrong direction, apparently.  But I don't want a northerly breeze either.  It's cold enough this week.  Have her take the train.  :)

Edited by Junie
  • Like 9

I  made stew and stuffed mushrooms. Apparently, I want it to be fall again. The mountain of dishes awaiting my displeasure has convinced me that cooking is over for the day. I have to sweep, but no mopping today. The boys have free-writing and quite a bit of reading to do for the afternoon. That ought to give me ample time to write my fool fingers off.

I think I may have to ice my elbows again. My wrists don't hurt from writing, but my forearms and my elbows ache at the end of a 2,500 word session.

• Like 6

Just got back from my administration testing at the church. (Btw, this whole interview process is in depth. I don't think my husband's high security job is this intense!!  :lol: )

I think my typing was subpar - nerves, new computer, cold hands, and more nerves. But, I was able to figure out how to create a form (using tables), and was able to figure out more things that I haven't had exposure to yet. The HR assistant was really nice, so that helped a lot. 
The test isn't a "make or break" type of deal, more just to see where you are, so that helped ease the nerves, too. 

Apparently, this position and several others were being tested for today. Also, most of the positions are brand new positions. There are no assistants right now, so it's all new territory. 
I don't think anyone else was there testing for my position, though. So, fingers crossed, prayers rising, hope floating... what else can I do? lol

Oh, should I shoot the assistant a "thank you" email? She was so nice, helpful, and honestly made it a relaxed situation.  I know you're supposed to send thank you notes when you have a real interview, but what is the protocol for this scenario?

• Like 12

I  made stew and stuffed mushrooms. Apparently, I want it to be fall again. The mountain of dishes awaiting my displeasure has convinced me that cooking is over for the day. I have to sweep, but no mopping today. The boys have free-writing and quite a bit of reading to do for the afternoon. That ought to give me ample time to write my fool fingers off.

I think I may have to ice my elbows again. My wrists don't hurt from writing, but my forearms and my elbows ache at the end of a 2,500 word session.

I read this as: The boys have free-will...

Apparently I need Mary Poppins more than ever.  And I think I need a nap.

• Like 5

Just got back from my administration testing at the church. (Btw, this whole interview process is in depth. I don't think my husband's high security job is this intense!!  :lol: )

I think my typing was subpar - nerves, new computer, cold hands, and more nerves. But, I was able to figure out how to create a form (using tables), and was able to figure out more things that I haven't had exposure to yet. The HR assistant was really nice, so that helped a lot. 

The test isn't a "make or break" type of deal, more just to see where you are, so that helped ease the nerves, too. 

Apparently, this position and several others were being tested for today. Also, most of the positions are brand new positions. There are no assistants right now, so it's all new territory. 

I don't think anyone else was there testing for my position, though. So, fingers crossed, prayers rising, hope floating... what else can I do? lol

Oh, should I shoot the assistant a "thank you" email? She was so nice, helpful, and honestly made it a relaxed situation.  I know you're supposed to send thank you notes when you have a real interview, but what is the protocol for this scenario?

What else can you do?  The first thing that popped into my mind was "Eat a brownie."  Yep, I need a nap.   :)

Glad the testing went well.  Hope you get the job!

I know nothing about thank you notes in this type of situation.  

Edited by Junie
  • Like 6

fingers crossed for you & I'd vote yes, for just a quick thank you email. Can't hurt, might help. 

:) 

• Like 5

What else can you do?  The first thing that popped into my mind was "Eat a brownie."  Yep, I need a nap.   :)

Glad the testing went well.  Hope you get the job!

I know nothing about thank you notes in this type of situation.  

It's a totally different process than I'm used to, for sure. If you have all the requirements, but they don't feel (through prayer and discussions) that you aren't the one for the job, you won't get it. So, it's not just about skill set, but where they feel God is leading. Definitely lots of faith for me. :D 

I would LOVE a brownie! haha 

I did eat at an awesome taco restaurant with a friend after the testing, though. Their soft tacos are massive! I could only eat one! I had a Baja Fish Taco - some weird ingredients for a taco, but it was delicious! 

fingers crossed for you & I'd vote yes, for just a quick thank you email. Can't hurt, might help. 

:)

Ok, that's kind of how I was leaning, too. 

• Like 4

I'd send a thank you note or email.

Listened to Act 2 of Hamlet with the boys.  Finished up school.  Spoke to the odd father about his odd car problems.  Drama teacher is out and has left me with blocking an entire scene.  Blocking with ankle will be interesting.  It is an active role.  

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

I agree with you that expectations not being met is a sad thing. That said, it often isn't the parent that is setting the expectations. I've yet to meet a curriculum that didn't expect certain milestones to be met before moving on to another thing. Even CLE, as gentle and plodding as it can be, expects certain things to have occurred in a certain time frame. Aside from telling the teacher to try this or that, there isn't a lot of help in a curriculum for a child who just isn't getting it according to the standard set by the curriculum.

I despise standardized testing for math. Happiest day of my life when I found out that they couldn't yank my kids out of homeschooling because their math scores weren't right up there. We will be doing it, because testing is a part of life whether I like it or not, but rewarding speed in math just seems wrong to me.

Dd16 with processing speed issues would never be rewarded for speed. She gets accommodations with extra time for tests, but not on math speed tests, of course. I wish they'd take it out. I'm not sure the purpose of it unless looking for a deficiency for specific issues.

• Like 3

DS9 is also one for whom math does not come easily.  He's getting his multiplication down bit by bit.  I don't allow helps on review/mastery exercises (I make him start with a close fact he knows and skip count from there, or combine known facts), but we have this Monkey Multiplier which he can use when I am introducing new concepts so that he doesn't get bogged down with the facts while trying to learn the concept.

Reposting only so I can remember this when I finally get to this page. By that time, I'll be at home and look it up. At work, I don't have access to ebay.

• Like 1

I made a nice, homemade gf pizza for lunch. I used Pamela's bread mix for the crust and expired yeast which I did not allow to rise in the crust but hurriedly baked it, instead. Then I used expired pizza sauce which was an odd color but tasted fine and topped it with mozzarella and turkey bacon pieces.

I hope we don't all die.

I made home made pizza for lunch, too! But my yeast wasn't expired. I had to make my own sauce because I was out of the squeeze bottle kind. Then I made my own mozarella cheese from milk that I got from my own grassfed cows. And I topped it with pepperoni that I hand made with my own homegrown..... Pepperoni stuff!
  • Like 7

ubqZYQS.jpg

Libby the Disabled Wonder dog all dressed up for her disabled dog walking group.  She was being a huge butthead today and I had to cajole her the entire one block down to the park.  Then in desperation I tied her to a tree (that was within eye sight the entire time) and walked around the park with the other dog and owner.  When I went back and got Libby, she was very very good about keeping up with us the entire way home (which is why I think she was just being a butthead on the way to the park since of course she can't really tell me if there was some other reason). 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

I made home made pizza for lunch, too! But my yeast wasn't expired. I had to make my own sauce because I was out of the squeeze bottle kind. Then I made my own mozarella cheese from milk that I got from my own grassfed cows. And I topped it with pepperoni that I hand made with my own homegrown..... Pepperoni stuff!

WOW!  But you will die of nonpasteurized milk so we are both dead soon anyway.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No one is dead or even ill yet so I think we might be okay.

• Like 6

How can I have quiet and solitude if the phone keeps ringing? I just got a call from "Microsoft" who so kindly offered to fix my computer for me. I am going to hell because I told them that I don't have a computer and hung up.

Once I asked the serial number. The guy senses I knew what was up so he went on "reading" numbers and letters for like 100 digits. Might have even been pi from digit 3 to 103 or so. At the end I said, "nope, off by one number, you must have the wrong house" and hung up. I hope he also got a laugh.

Prank the phisher booyah!

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 10

Okay, so I'm done with all the writing stuff I had planned for this term, and there are five weeks or so left to go. Give me permission to just turn the guys loose to free-write until the end of spring term. 

I give you permission.  I think it's an outstanding idea.  And I know what I'm talking about, yo.

• Like 6