Jump to content

Menu

Ignore this thread!


Recommended Posts

Vet can't see kitty until tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should be taking her to the emergency vet. She's at least 16 and I don't want to do a bunch of intrusive tests and expensive treatment, but I also would definitely bring a person to urgent care with these symptoms... And my cat expert friend is having minor surgery today, so I can't get her opinion.

*sigh*

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning!

The two youngest had a sleepover with uncle and aunts at their airbnb last night.  I am thinking they won't want to come home today, lol.

After dropping off dd18 for classes, I stopped by Kroger to buy ingredients for dd12's Raddish Kids meal - Korean food.  She's making it for grandpa's birthday tomorrow.  My brother and SIL only eat organic food, so it was a little tricky to find all the things.  Most of them.  Do they make organic corn starch?  They also didn't have organic won ton wrappers.  Oh well.

I should make some more phone calls today.  Don't wanna.  Prolly need a whole lotta

Coffee!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

  Do they make organic corn starch?  They also didn't have organic won ton wrappers.  Oh well.

They do make organic corn starch (from organic corn) but since it's hard to find & it's not a major ingredient, most people won't sweat it. (With corn, GMO-free is better than nothing if you can get it, but even that is not available everywhere.)  And yay for your DD making the birthday food!

 

Kitty is being treated for a UTI (and probably also has kidney disease, but not too severe yet, and GI issues) and will be back with us by dinner time. We are very relieved.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is hard juggling the public school educational mentality (everything has to align with state standards and be at grade level) with the homeschool educational mentality (more interest lead, enjoying bunny trails and working where the kids are at.) Today was very much homeschooling mentality.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

It is hard juggling the public school educational mentality (everything has to align with state standards and be at grade level) with the homeschool educational mentality (more interest lead, enjoying bunny trails and working where the kids are at.) Today was very much homeschooling mentality.

I teach/facilitate (more or less) with a homeschool mentality and then wordsmith it to fit into a public school mentality.

It sounds like you're doing the same. :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EdPo:

I found a new home for some of the curriculum I needed to get gone. Of course, then I flipped through the CLE math textbook we have again and still can't make myself get rid of it. Why? Because it taught me some stuff I never ever learned in PS that I think is totally cool and I keep watching to see if it pops up in R&S, but I don't think it will. Now I'm wondering if that stuff was CLE specific or the norm in many math curriculums that R&S just doesn't have. It's not anything necessary in math education, but... casting out 9s and checking long multiplication problems using digit sums is AWESOME!

End of EdPo

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

... but... casting out 9s and checking long multiplication problems using digit sums is AWESOME!

End of EdPo

 

1 hour ago, Junie said:

(I hate casting out 9s...) :hiding:

Is that anything like casting out the devil? 🤷‍♀️

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not know or teach math.

I have tried to do one big thing every day this week and I'm dying. Next week I do big things on Monday Wednesday Friday.

Tomorrow I get to go to the chiropractor and have the things put back in the places.

We had steak and mushroom pie. I love steak and mushroom pie.

Matt likes his journal.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't understand WHY they taught casting out 9s at first but it was neat and different. When it combined/proceeded with using digit sums to check multiplication instead of doing a whole other math problem, I saw the value.... Much faster way to check your work. I showed it to DH and he's never seen it done that way either. Oldest wasn't overly impressed and I doubt he remembers it anymore because of the switch to R&S a couple years ago. It's in CLE 4th grade math.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I've never heard of steak and mushroom pie. Assuming it's similar in concept to chicken pot pie.

3 slices of bacon cut into large dice

1.5 lbs chuck steak well trimmed, cut into .5 inch dice

1.5 cups canned beef broth

.5 cup Madeira wine

2 cloves of garlic crushed

2 veal or lamb kidneys cleaned of inner fat and cut into half inch cubes

2 tbs chopped yellow onions

3 tbs chopped parsley

1 tsp whole thyme leaves or to taste

¼ to ½ whole sage leaves rubbed or to taste

Salt and black pepper to taste

3 tbs each butter and flour cooked together to form a roux

1 batch basic easy crust

 

Heat a heavy black iron kettle or dutch oven and lightly brown the bacon

Turn up the heat and brown beef cubes well

Add enough beef stock to barely cover, put a lid on the pot

Simmer the meat until tender about a half hour

Add remaining ingredients except roux

Continue cooking for another 15 minutes

Thicken the sauce with the roux

Roll out crust to make 1 large pie or 4 individual pot pies

 

Substitute sauted (about 1 lb) mushrooms  in pan of hot butter

Add mushrooms just after you thicken the sauce with the roux

Bake 45 min at 375 until crust brown and flakey

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I didn't understand WHY they taught casting out 9s at first but it was neat and different. When it combined/proceeded with using digit sums to check multiplication instead of doing a whole other math problem, I saw the value.... Much faster way to check your work. I showed it to DH and he's never seen it done that way either. Oldest wasn't overly impressed and I doubt he remembers it anymore because of the switch to R&S a couple years ago. It's in CLE 4th grade math.

I think Abeka uses it in the 6th grade math book.  I remember it from when I taught elementary grades at a Christian school once upon a time.

In our homeschool we only use Abeka until 3rd grade and then switch to Saxon, so I haven't seen casting out 9s in a long time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have never even heard of casting out 9's.  I did the old math. . .

I've never heard of casting out 9's.  I teach old and new math.....

9 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I've never heard of steak and mushroom pie. Assuming it's similar in concept to chicken pot pie.

I have heard of steak and mushroom pie.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morning, I made a big mistake.   I stayed up too late finishing a book.  It was a good book but not a particularly special book.  Just a romance novel.  I basically read 7/8's of it last night.  I knew how it was going to end.  But I still stayed up.  I'm tired.  Long day of camp today.  Ugh.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Upstairs from my science center, in a different part of the building from my storage space, is a music school.   Most of the summer, they have had a couple of canopies and a trailer blocking off three parking spaces.  Basically the three spaces right next to my two designated spaces, that are supposed to be for a dentist (I'm assuming they got permission) and for the three businesses that are downstairs (me, a liquor store and the space that is currently empty that I'm hoping to take over eventually).  The address for upstairs is different and technically not included in the "Parking only for....." signs.    It was mildly annoying because parking got scarce sometimes but no big deal.  Landlord was there earlier this week and asked me about it and I just told them it wasn't me. 

Yesterday they took them down.    One of my parents picking up was parked in a spot that was technically for the business next door, in a section of parking for the three downstairs businesses (which does NOT include the music school).   Someone from the music school actually said something to the parent about not being able to park there and needing to move quickly.   

When dh picked me up, we saw one of the guys from the music school and asked him about it and told him they shouldn't be saying anything to our customers and that, technically, they weren't supposed to be parking there at all, much less blocking all the spaces.  He said something about, needing it because they were doing a music "festival" or show or something.   That particular spot, if someone parks too much to one side, blocks my spaces because of angles, and I generally park in it because I'll pull all the way forward and to one side to make sure my spaces are available (and even then it looks like a tight pull out and some people won't bother. 

So, now that I've written a book, I'm worried I'm going to go in today and a bunch of spaces are going to be blocked off.  I have two more days of camp with a ton of drop offs and pick ups, and if they have the spaces right in front blocked off, I feel like I should say something?  I don't want to be all picky about parking spaces, but they've really been taking it too far and to say something to one of my customers is pretty ballsy.   

I know the owner of the music school enough to say hello, we've talked about cross advertising, and are generally friendly.  He wasn't the person we talked to nor the person who spoke to my customer. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Slache said:

3 slices of bacon cut into large dice

1.5 lbs chuck steak well trimmed, cut into .5 inch dice

1.5 cups canned beef broth

.5 cup Madeira wine

2 cloves of garlic crushed

2 veal or lamb kidneys cleaned of inner fat and cut into half inch cubes

2 tbs chopped yellow onions

3 tbs chopped parsley

1 tsp whole thyme leaves or to taste

¼ to ½ whole sage leaves rubbed or to taste

Salt and black pepper to taste

3 tbs each butter and flour cooked together to form a roux

1 batch basic easy crust

 

Heat a heavy black iron kettle or dutch oven and lightly brown the bacon

Turn up the heat and brown beef cubes well

Add enough beef stock to barely cover, put a lid on the pot

Simmer the meat until tender about a half hour

Add remaining ingredients except roux

Continue cooking for another 15 minutes

Thicken the sauce with the roux

Roll out crust to make 1 large pie or 4 individual pot pies

 

Substitute sauted (about 1 lb) mushrooms  in pan of hot butter

Add mushrooms just after you thicken the sauce with the roux

Bake 45 min at 375 until crust brown and flakey

I will not be trying steak and mushroom pie. You had me at bacon, lost me at kidneys. I quit reading after that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Goat would be more interesting. 

I have never had goat. My favorites are frog and duck.

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

I will not be trying steak and mushroom pie. You had me at bacon, lost me at kidneys. I quit reading after that.

It says to sub mushrooms for the kidneys.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Slache said:

1. I have never had goat. My favorites are frog and duck.

2. It says to sub mushrooms for the kidneys.

1. I don't think I've had goat, I've had lamb which I either like or hate depending on how it is cooked. Duck is ok. I have no desire to try frog.

2. I almost asked where, but went back and read the entire recipe. I see the substitution waaaay down the list but it doesn't say what you're subbing them for. This looks like a meal DH would love with that substitution. What is Madeira wine?

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday Eve!!  It I need it to be real Friday. I was so depressed when I woke up and realized it wasn’t Friday yet. I need to to be Friday. Afternoon.

Work and school today!! Temps are rising. Supposed to be in the triple digits by the weekend. We’re going up to camp this weekend for the Fall Festival. Usually we just go for Saturday, but somehow I registered for a cabin for the weekend, so I guess we’ll leave tomorrow afternoon and come home Sunday. I blame it on Covid.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

My kids call every kind of meat we eat chicken.

When dd was about 2 to 4 years old,  we had to call every kind of meat chicken.  She claimed to only like chicken, not any other kind of meat.  So we started calling everything chicken.  

dd:  looks at salmon suspiciously "what's that?"

us:  "it's chicken"

dd:  with a big smile "okay"

In reality, this kid eats pretty much everything but is especially fond of lobster and steak.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EdPo:

So, we are doing Beautiful Feet Geography this year. I’m addition to all the other stuff. I have to say we just love it.  The books are all Holling C. Holling books and we have started with Paddle-to-the-Sea. It’s a good unit study.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

1. I don't think I've had goat, I've had lamb which I either like or hate depending on how it is cooked. Duck is ok. I have no desire to try frog.

2. I almost asked where, but went back and read the entire recipe. I see the substitution waaaay down the list but it doesn't say what you're subbing them for. This looks like a meal DH would love with that substitution. What is Madeira wine?

It's not my recipe. I should rewrite it in a logical way. No idea about the wine. We use cheap red wine.

16 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

My kids call every kind of meat we eat chicken.

We call fish river or ocean chicken because Alex hates fish but loves river chicken and ocean chicken.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning!

It is grandpa's birthday today (83!) so I made blueberry croissant bread pudding for breakfast and we decorated the kitchen with balloons and streamers.

While I was dropping off dd18 at college and ds16/dd15 at tutorial, my parents decided to be felpful and clean the bunny cage.  Oy.  I was waiting on that until tomorrow when I could get more stove pellets for the litter box and carpet for the floor.  And they used a strong cleaner to wash the removable floors.  In the living room.  Not that I will complain.  But so much felpful, lol.

SIL is helping dd12 make her raddish kids dinner and we don't have a stand mixer or food processor or "regular" blender, so everything is pretty much done by hand or with a stick blender.  This was a surprise to everyone but dd12, who is perfectly happy getting her fingers messy with dough.

It's a relatively pleasant morning here out on the front porch with a good bit of shade still from the big oak tree.

Coffee!

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

It is grandpa's birthday today (83!) so I made blueberry croissant bread pudding for breakfast and we decorated the kitchen with balloons and streamers.

While I was dropping off dd18 at college and ds16/dd15 at tutorial, my parents decided to be felpful and clean the bunny cage.  Oy.  I was waiting on that until tomorrow when I could get more stove pellets for the litter box and carpet for the floor.  And they used a strong cleaner to wash the removable floors.  In the living room.  Not that I will complain.  But so much felpful, lol.

SIL is helping dd12 make her raddish kids dinner and we don't have a stand mixer or food processor or "regular" blender, so everything is pretty much done by hand or with a stick blender.  This was a surprise to everyone but dd12, who is perfectly happy getting her fingers messy with dough.

It's a relatively pleasant morning here out on the front porch with a good bit of shade still from the big oak tree.

Coffee!

Recipe? Isn't there some sort of ITT rule about this? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One more day down, one more to go and I'm done with camps for another year.   

Dh left for his mom's today so I ordered pizza for dinner.   Plain for ds, pineapple and ham for me (yep), and hot wings for dd that she'll have with mozzarella sticks she can cook from our freezer. 

ETA:  A no cooking for me booya

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...