Menu

Ignore this thread!

21 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I was thinking about this the other day--how I'm struggling to feel anything but anger and sadness lately. I think it's that there is so, so much, and for whatever reason, I think I've tried to train myself to be strong for everybody, and that's not working now because I am literally stuffed full of un-processed emotions like a closet that hasn't been cleaned out for years. In this case, two years at least. 

So I second letting it out. I cried about Susan's DH, too. And it helped.

I understand. There’s a lot of that in me, too. A lot of stuff going on, too, that I feel completely helpless about and helpless is scary.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

Morning.  

Slept in a little bit today.  I didn't yesterday since I had to get up for a doctor's appointment that was at 8am and I felt tired and draggy all day.   I need to get back into getting up early for camp next week. 

Today I'm going to organize stuff at the classroom since dd is going to clean tomorrow and Saturday (Yeah!!!!! I'm so glad she's able to, I wasn't sure she could because her real job had her doing some local-ish travel).   Sunday I'll go in and touch up anything that needs it before camp starts Monday.

Tomorrow I'm going to clean dd's room.  Ugh, it's going to be a project and set off my allergies big time but it needs to be done and she won't be able to do it.  I need to remember to put smaller chunks of cleaning on her school plans.   Like - wipe down shelves, vacuum floor, remove garbage, etc.  

• Like 4

We're going out to dinner tonight to celebrate dd's birthday (almost a month late).  We're going early to a place that won't be crowded on a weeknight.  And we're in an area where our numbers are low.  But I still think it's going to be my last time in a restaurant for a while.  It's only my 3rd time at a restaurant since March 2020.  

• Like 4

I did get the laundry done yesterday so that needs to be put away.    

Problem is it will be hard to work at home Saturday and Sunday.  Dh was supposed to go down to his mom's house for the weekend but changed his mind because of a work project he has going.   It makes it hard for me to clean at home when he's sitting on the couch watching tv.  

• Like 4

EdPo!

I have the History Odyssey wall timeline (and a place to hang-it, it's there now) and a timeline book for more details from when we started homeschooling (12 years ago).   We've really been a total fail when it comes to History.  Kids did about half of ancients, a bunch of US (when we had a teacher), and we're going to do a quick overview of the rest of ancients, medieval, and early modern in the next year, then do Modern with a slight US emphasis for the following year, including some Civics for ds, who is a junior this year.  

We used to have them put a sticker on the wall timeline and then a more detailed card in the book when we studied a particular topic.   I'm trying to decide if I still want to do that.  At their ages, they get more out of making the detailed cards for the book, but I also really like having the wall timeline for an overview.    But I don't want a bunch of busy work either.  

Anyone else with high schoolers have any thoughts? 

• Like 1

While I'm EdPo'ing, anyone know of a blog post or anything about doing a Shakespeare in movies literature?  

12 years of homeschooling and I'm still better at ideas/planning than I am on implementation.  

We do well with science (duh), math, vocabulary/grammar/reading.  But beyond that....

ETA:  I'm gonna call this a great at science booya instead of a failure at history booya, 'kay?

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm just chatting with myself here (where is everyone!!) because I"m procrastinating.  I need to get up and go organize my classroom.  It's icky out today.  We're getting remnants of one of the tropical storms.

New thing for around here, we've been getting a lot of tornado warnings lately.  Very unusual for us.  Thankfully they don't tend to travel very far because we're not very flat (very mountainous actually), but still it's a little scary.   I see about people getting warnings on their phone but we haven't gotten them, I guess none of us are signed up.  Guess maybe we should do that but we really don't have anything we can do if one is near.  No basement, no interior rooms at all.  I think in that case, hanging in the bathtub is recommended but there's no way 4 adult size people can fit in my bathroom, much less the tub.    We are basically on the side of a granite mountain so I think the chances of one setting down here are slim, which I guess is a good thing.

Once the addition for my mother is done, we will have a garage that is partially underground.  

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 11:09 AM, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

The last of my curriculum stuff is in transit and now I'm looking at a whole different curriculum (one I thought I'd never ever be interested in) and I'm now wondering if Oldest might like it better. What is wrong with me!? I can't believe I'm even considering it. They kinda got me with their free booklist of prescreened wholesome literature books that uphold family values.

Nah, too workbooky. I really don't think Oldest would go for it. I'm still going to utilize their booklist, though. And possibly their grammar cards game.

EdPo over

Another EdPo! Oh no!

Big box of curriculum from RR scheduled to arrive today! I might've just had my itty bitty world rocked, though. I read the online sample of TWTM. Then I ordered the book. It's on its way. Now I'm rethinking EVERYTHING. Seriously. I might even order WWE to see if it gains any traction with Oldest. Can't hurt. I drank a cup of coffee (first time in over 2 weeks) to help me think clearly and now my wheels are literally spinning in place at 100 mph. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wheres Toto said:

While I'm EdPo'ing, anyone know of a blog post or anything about doing a Shakespeare in movies literature?  

12 years of homeschooling and I'm still better at ideas/planning than I am on implementation.  

We do well with science (duh), math, vocabulary/grammar/reading.  But beyond that....

ETA:  I'm gonna call this a great at science booya instead of a failure at history booya, 'kay?

Simply Charlotte Mason does a children's version, real thing, then movie. I don't know how easy it would be to modify, but I'll bet ya could.

• Like 3

I'm at the science center and we have a "partial power outage".  It's weird.  Internet is working, lights on fish tank and crab tank work.  But none of the filters on the tanks, no lights, but a few plugs are clearly working.   Correction:  the bathroom, which is at the very back of the space, has a working light.  

Estimated return of power is two hours from now, but I brought down some tap lights from storage so I can see enough to get some stuff done.  My lobby and one small classroom (not the one I need to do most of the work in) have big windows but the rest is underground so no windows at all and very dark. 

Very strange.

• Like 3

I'm doing some stuff today, but I finished some heavy duty revisions yesterday, and realized I am completely exhausted. So I'm taking the next three days to just read and make sure that the story flows together well before I dive into line editing next week. 

And there might even be a nap or a hot soaky bath later today.

• Like 6

Reassure your son that "failed quizzes" are not a sign of failure. They are simply saying that he's got things to learn, and that's fine. Don't panic. It's okay. 

It's not unusual to struggle more at the outset of something new, and it's not abnormal to "not get it" when the concepts are fairly new, and/or involve things that haven't been previously mastered. 

It's also (sadly) not uncommon for a young man at a certain age to struggle with recall of things that they absolutely "knew" the day before. Remember to spend lots of time reassuring your guys that their brains aren't broken, simply short-circuiting at times, and they will get through this if they are patient and willing to "relearn" things when they need to.  

-- Critters words of wisdom in raising & teaching boys (2019)

Thankyou, Critter! I reflect on this often.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I'm just chatting with myself here (where is everyone!!) because I"m procrastinating.  I need to get up and go organize my classroom.  It's icky out today.  We're getting remnants of one of the tropical storms.

New thing for around here, we've been getting a lot of tornado warnings lately.  Very unusual for us.  Thankfully they don't tend to travel very far because we're not very flat (very mountainous actually), but still it's a little scary.   I see about people getting warnings on their phone but we haven't gotten them, I guess none of us are signed up.  Guess maybe we should do that but we really don't have anything we can do if one is near.  No basement, no interior rooms at all.  I think in that case, hanging in the bathtub is recommended but there's no way 4 adult size people can fit in my bathroom, much less the tub.    We are basically on the side of a granite mountain so I think the chances of one setting down here are slim, which I guess is a good thing.

Once the addition for my mother is done, we will have a garage that is partially underground.  

Some of us are doing school because #homeschoolboards.🤣

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Another EdPo! Oh no!

Big box of curriculum from RR scheduled to arrive today! I might've just had my itty bitty world rocked, though. I read the online sample of TWTM. Then I ordered the book. It's on its way. Now I'm rethinking EVERYTHING. Seriously. I might even order WWE to see if it gains any traction with Oldest. Can't hurt. I drank a cup of coffee (first time in over 2 weeks) to help me think clearly and now my wheels are literally spinning in place at 100 mph. 🤦‍♀️

Svengo.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Some of us are doing school because #homeschoolboards.🤣

But..but...but.... it's still SUMMER!!!!  

Schools here don't start until after Labor Day.

I homeschool year round.

But I have teenagers who do a bunch independently.

Especially this totally screwed up summer with moves and stuff. 

• Like 2

Servi, I would not buy curriculum to try to align to WTM, but rather: 1) see how what you’re already using accomplishes the same goal and/or 2) decide if you want to use curriculum you already have in a different way to more closely resemble WTM methods, if it appeals to you. The first edition was written without all the WellTrainedMind Press products, so it can be done.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I had actually made this big ole long post before you posted your booya, but xfinity was here messing with the internet and everything froze. I thankfully screenshot the post, so now I'll just retype it...

Gymnast and I went to the storage rooms yesterday. We have three of them. When we moved into this apartment, it came with some furniture, and we've been very happy with the simplicity of not having so much STUFF.

We got Gymnast's little sofa and bookcase for her bedroom, a big fan, a dining chair that I'm using for an office chair, and some of my books (teacher resource and ones I wrote). I couldn't find my lights I use for teaching online, and Gymnast's desk was in an awkward place that I couldn't reach. I wouldn't have been able to fit that in my car anyway...

I'm thinking about creating an office in the garage. Right now, it's in the pantry. It's pretty big, but too small to have an office also, and I don't want all my stuff around the food. The garage has heat, but no air. I think I could make it work. Neither dh or I are putting our cars in there. Although, we might change our minds when winter hits...who would get the garage space...? (there is space beyond the car spot for an office in the garage).

EDPO!!!!!!!!!

One of my packages just got here! Explorer's Bible Study. I accidentally got two different levels of the same thing instead of one being an answer key, so I have to send the one back. 🙄

I still haven't ordered any of the Spanish materials because I am still adjusting Gymnast's schedule. I really want to streamline as much as possible, and it just doesn't seem that way right now. It needs to be realistic, because I still have to work. I'm thinking I may need to cut back on work, or consider other options for working (hours, type (live vs self-paced), etc.).

She's joined a First Lego League that will run at least to November, so she has an outlet. They are masked in the leader's backyard. We'll be going once or twice a week. She (the leader) said I could use her office if I have a class to teach, which I do...

WORK-PO!!!!

Classes start next week. Well, at least two of them do. Well...3 classes, but two different ones. Only one of the classes is full (6 students), one is close to minimum, and the other is close to being canceled for lack of enrollment. I'm actually okay with that. I'm a little concerned about income, but feel God has something else he wants me to focus on. So...I'm going with that. 

I think that's it for now!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

EdPo:

We’re reading The Secret Garden with Novel Ties as the Study guide. I just really love that book.

El Jardín Secreto was the first chapter book I read in Spanish. I was in my late 20s and totally syked I got through it. It was actually the first time I had ever read the book at all.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Renai said:

El Jardín Secreto was the first chapter book I read in Spanish. I was in my late 20s and totally syked I got through it. It was actually the first time I had ever read the book at all.

My first chapter book in Spanish was La Telerana de Carlota.  I was in my mid-40s (a few years ago).  I haven't read El Jardin Secreto... yet.  I have read it in English.

• Like 3

Hey, there is a whole lotta edumacashioning going on around here!  Svengo!

We have been sorta doing some school this week.  High school kids have been doing tutorial work and anything else they feel like doing.  Dd12 has been doing some stuff here and there.  Dd18 started her college classes and loves them - even Euclid's Geometry!  She is surrounded by really good people so I am grateful for that.

Is it only Thursday?  I feel like this week has been a month long.  We are doing OK.  Things seem a bit unreal to me still.  Lots of people taking care of us.  One of the pastoral interns just stopped by to spend some time with ds16.  My sister and her family are in town and my brother and SIL will be coming tonight.  The services are scheduled for Saturday - family services in the morning and public memorial service in the afternoon at the church.  

I got to talk to the S.S. Administration today and that was not as bad as I expected.  The guy on the phone was very kind.  Prolly better than calling the IRS.  

Ds26 made biscuits and gravy for breakfast this morning - we were all impressed.  It was super yummy!

I want a kitty now!

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Servi, I would not buy curriculum to try to align to WTM, but rather: 1) see how what you’re already using accomplishes the same goal and/or 2) decide if you want to use curriculum you already have in a different way to more closely resemble WTM methods, if it appeals to you. The first edition was written without all the WellTrainedMind Press products, so it can be done.  

I think the sample I read was from first edition but the book on its way is whatever the current edition is on Amazon. I'm not sure if it's the WTM or just the classical model itself with chronological history that is drawing me in. I'm excited to actually read a book again (for the first time in years!) just because I want to.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

(((Susan))). I’m so happy to read your post, to hear you are well taken care of, surrounded by those who love you, and with a bit of normalcy thrown in for the kids. So.many.hugs in my heart for you guys. ❤️❤️❤️

This. I just couldn't put it into words as well as Lynn.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We just got back from dinner.  It was actually pretty good.  The tables were very widely spaced, probably at least 6 feet between the closest any two people from different tables could be for our section.  We had a party of 5 so we're in a section of big curved booths.  

It was a really loooong dinner.  We got seated early because we arrived early and waited for oldest dd.  Ds walked around the mall a bit while we were waiting, then I had to walk to go find him because he didn't bring a watch to know when his 15 minutes was up (turns out he beat me back because he just asked people what time it was periodically).   We started with appetizers, then our meals, then dessert (since it was a birthday celebration).  From appetizers to dessert finish was about 2 hours.   Then driving home, dh pointed me in the wrong direction so instead of the highway, we ended up taking a back road most of the way, so it took us a long time to get home. 

A long night, but it was fun and everyone had a good time chatting about random stuff.   Nice to have the whole family together. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

The first edition is the best, actually.  I still refer to it.

• Like 3

The ITT collection of Camp Songs and Literature for Jean   

To be sung to Beethoven's Fifth:

Camp, camp, camp, camp.   
Camp, camp, camp, camp.  
Camp, camp, camp, camp.Camp, camp, camp, camp.Camp, camp, camp, camp.

Camp, camp, camp, camp.   
Camp, camp, camp, camp.  
Camp, camp, camp, camp.Camp, camp!

(All my creativity is going towards writing lessons - not lyrics! )

Jean 7/12/2018

--------------

Camp preppers sing this song  
Doo da, doo da  
Camp prepping's the way to go  
All the doo da day.

Going to prep all morn,  
Going to prep all day  
I bet my money I'll be sick of this song  
By the end of the day  (Jean 7/2017)

---------------

Good morning.   
To be sung to the Meow- Mix tune: 

Camp, camp, camp, camp    
Camp, camp, camp, camp.   
Camp, camp, camp, camp, camp, camp, camp, camp.

Camp, camp, camp, camp   
Camp, camp, camp, camp.  
Camp, camp, camp, camp, caaaaaamp!

Repeat.

Jean 7/5/2018

----------------

It's all about that camp, 'bout that camp, no trouble.    
It's all about that camp, 'bout that camp, no trouble....,

Jean, 8/2019

———————-

All Will Be Well:  
A Haiku for Jean Upon Her Departure for Campity-Camp 2019

Campity campers!  
Crafts, games, excitement awaits!  
Brokenness meets Love.  

- Ducks

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

The first edition is the best, actually.  I still refer to it.

The only reason I didn't look for first edition is I thought maybe some of the suggested resources would be outdated or better options might be available now. Is this not the case? My local library actually has both editions. I looked after you mentioned first edition being better.

It's a "What's your favorite edition of WTM?" Booyah! 😁

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2