Menu

Ignore this thread!

Morning, Happy Friday.

Jean, I have camp next week but I finalized plans earlier this week.  It's Blast Off! Space Camp, and other than being my most well attended camp (all filled but this one went farther before filling), it won't be a hard one.  I have both my helpers so I won't be alone at all, plus I pulled activities from classes I've taught for years, plus there are five million ideas for crafts and games and such for space theme. 

I think there's at least one other post besides my booya missing but I honestly don't remember.  I just know I had a booya and I said something about good at science not a history fail.   

• Like 4

Dd's room may have to wait until tomorrow.   I have to run to the science center at some point this morning because one of my teachers picked up a used science exploration table for the Pre-K class and wants to drop it off this morning.

Older dd isn't coming to clean until after work tonight so this will give me a chance to finish getting things put away so she can clean easier.  

• Like 3

Morning. Kitten is romping around the house this morning, which is funny because she's in a permanent state of fuzz. But she seems to be enjoying herself. The foundling kittens should be cleared to start interacting with the cat household next weekend. That could be interesting. But they need to get used to seeing other cats, dogs, and seeing everything that they can get into in a house.

I need to clean and kitten proof this week, then. 

Other than that, trying not to melt. It's getting horribly hot next week, and I'm so ready for fall I could put out a scarecrow, a couple of ghosts, and a few fake pumpkins just to try to hurry it along.

• Like 4

Just now, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!

I woke up with a bit of a headache and went back to bed.

After second sleep I woke up to torrential rain and a flooded backyard.  Thankfully, no water came into the house this time.

If you'd like to ship the rain this way, we'd be grateful.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

The only reason I didn't look for first edition is I thought maybe some of the suggested resources would be outdated or better options might be available now. Is this not the case? My local library actually has both editions. I looked after you mentioned first edition being better.

It's a "What's your favorite edition of WTM?" Booyah! 😁

First edition. Why? Because it's not about the resources, it's about the how. If you know how to do what you want to do, you can use whatever resources to fit your goals and your children.

Case: With my oldest, my goal was to homeschool bilingually. There were 0 resources in Spanish at the time to homeschool at all, let alone in a classical manner. But the book told me how to do it. So, I could create some of my own stuff, like copywork. In fact, that foundation is what I use to create materials to sell in Spanish today.

If WTM had just been 'what I can use,' I would not have gotten very far. Because it gave me tools (not specific brands and resources) to homeschool, I could build my own program in any language.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Renai said:

First edition. Why? Because it's not about the resources, it's about the how. If you know how to do what you want to do, you can use whatever resources to fit your goals and your children.

Case: With my oldest, my goal was to homeschool bilingually. There were 0 resources in Spanish at the time to homeschool at all, let alone in a classical manner. But the book told me how to do it. So, I could create some of my own stuff, like copywork. In fact, that foundation is what I use to create materials to sell in Spanish today.

If WTM had just been 'what I can use,' I would not have gotten very far. Because it gave me tools (not specific brands and resources) to homeschool, I could build my own program in any language.

Thankyou! THAT'S what I needed to hear. I just canceled my Amazon order because it hasn't shipped yet and I'm going to read the first edition from my local library while hunting down a copy to buy.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Renai said:

Renai said everything I couldn't think of how to say.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

If you'd like to ship the rain this way, we'd be grateful.

13 hours ago, Junie said:

Oh, if only I could.  I'd give some to Krissi, too.

We would really appreciate it. Weather is much cooler, but we have smoky skies and a red sun. It’s lovely.

• Like 4

I really need my printer and I can't find it. I have pretty good idea where it is (in the back of the 3rd storage room), but dh packed that one without me and there is no way I can get in there to get it without pulling half the stuff out or breaking my neck.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Renai said:

I really need my printer and I can't find it. I have pretty good idea where it is (in the back of the 3rd storage room), but dh packed that one without me and there is no way I can get in there to get it without pulling half the stuff out or breaking my neck.

Hmm, well, you can email me your documents, I’ll print them up for you on my printer and mail them to you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Morning.  It's Saturday.   I'm having breakfast (a little late, it's almost 11am, I slept really bad last night, I think it's the chocolate before bed, need to stop that), while dh is out grocery shopping.  I feel bad for him, it's going to be nuts with a tropical storm coming tomorrow.   He's not shopping because of the storm, just doing regular shopping. 

Once he's back we'll head over to the science center so he can install new cameras (old set broke down).  I'll probably clean behind my desk area since it's a disaster.  Oldest dd is cleaning the rest of the place.  She did some this morning and is finishing up tomorrow.   Having her clean this summer was one of my best decisions.

At dinner Friday, Dh "jokingly" asked her if she's like to clean our house.   I think we decided that once a week, when she was here doing her laundry, she would wipe down the bathroom, vacuum and dust for $25.   I have to check with both her and dh to see if they were serious.  I think it's a good idea.  She's happy with the price (seems low to me) and it won't really take time out of her free time since she has to do laundry anyway (and she gets free use of our washer/dryer and soap, etc as part of that too).  

I'm a very bad housekeeper and fully acknowledge that. 

Younger kids do the dishes every day except Sundays, and do their own laundry (theoretically) and will have various clean their rooms activities on their weekly schedules for school.  We're calling it life skills and/or home ec. 

• Like 5

I did some of the things.

- Fixed the feet on a platter

- Set up my bullet journal for the next 2 weeks/start of September with 4 habits to track

- Did a bit of housework (sweeping, etc.)

- Provided a listening ear for a friend

- Posted some chapter books to my Buy Nothing group and arranged for the person to come pick them up (which she already did, yaaaaay!)

- Put water in the trunk of my car

- Took a walk

A whole bunch of things I've been putting off need to be completed within the next week (which I also hope will include a day trip to the beach). Very willy_nilly times.

For what's left of the day, please take good care of yourselves. You are awesome. 💙

• Like 5

Today was a good day - hard and exhausting, but good.  Also it rained and stormed just a bit for some extra drama.

By some miracle, BIL was able to get dh's parents down for the services, so that was good.  Many old friends and people from church and people from dh's office and Scouts in their class A uniforms came to the memorial and that was really special.  One dear elderly couple from church said they felt a little put out that dh cut in the line to heaven, lol.

Dh's best friend since childhood told the story of how the two of them once set fire to a tennis court by pouring gasoline all over it and lighting it with a match - I had never heard that one before!  

My brother and SIL and my sister will be staying the week and I think my parents will probably stay another 2-3 weeks.  I'm so grateful - they are all so good with the kids!  

Time now for the sleeping!

• Like 10

Home from Camp Day.  It was an exhausting very full and worthwhile day.   I am beat and in a lot of pain.  (Cue Larry the Cucumber:  "It's for the kids").  We have hooked a new staffer, who came to check us out and had a blast.  And we had a lot of young kids - the future of our camp who really enjoyed themselves.  The older ones enjoyed themselves too.  I did blink a bit at the college aged couple who decided to join my class for the under 10's instead of attending the class for teens/adults.  But his mom was my TA so I'm sure that's why he and his girlfriend joined us.  I had to help him with the word search.  LOL

Activities:  high ropes, zip line, climbing wall, bouncy "sheet", canoeing, crafts and lots of fun games in the gaga pit etc.  I'm not the only one looking forward to a nice soft bed tonight! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!

Happy Sunday!

Zoom iglesia and facebook church today.

I got some grading done yesterday -- I just have to grade some chemistry and then I'm all caught up.  For a day or two...

I'm going to try to re-start our monthly lab days.  It worked well when we did it before, but then my headaches got worse and they fell by the wayside.  However, dd17 is a senior, so if we don't do them soon, she won't have many labs before she graduates.  Not that she cares...

• Like 5

Good Morning, Happy Sunday.

Heading over to the classroom to set up for camp next week.   Dd supposedly finished all the cleaning, dh is there now installing new cameras.  I also need to work on an inventory for my new teachers.

Henri was/is just a bunch of rain around here, although I think there is flooding in the usual locations.

• Like 4

Next week is Space Camp, and is the last one.  Then I have two weeks to get ready for classes.  I have an orientation with my new teachers a week from Monday so I have stuff to get ready for that.    I'll have two weeks to prepare my classes, prepare school, and do any assistance my teachers need, finish setting up for class (can't do until after next week's camp).   Nothing to it, right?  

The first session is the hardest since it's 8 weeks straight through without a break.  Every other session has holidays, Session 2 (November through January) takes three months to get through because of all the holiday breaks.   I did put in my break weeks between every session this year.  They will be used to make up any times we have to close for weather or whatever, but they will be weeks off if we don't have a closing.   And we generally don't get snow that early so probably won't need it following the first session.   Dd and I made plans to go to Connecticut during that break to a big used bookstore and I really hope we can make it. 

• Like 5

So here's a funny story - at the end of the family viewing service, friends and extended family left the room and just the kids and pastor and I stayed in the room for a few minutes to say goodbye and when the others had gone out, apparently FIL's phone started ringing - and his ringtone is an evacuation alarm that sounded throughout the building.  It was so loud I think you could probably hear it outside, and he couldn't figure out how to turn it off and people kept trying to get the phone and were dropping it all over.  Classic Three Stooges moment, lol!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Back from the science center.  I think I'm all ready for camp this week.

Dh figured out the cameras but everything needs to be rewired (he was hoping to use the wiring from the old cameras) so they won't be active for a couple weeks.

Today is ds's 16th birthday.  I'm feeling old. 

• Like 6

I'm working on an inventory of all the stuff I have for classes, for the teachers.   I have sooooo much stuff.   My 250 square foot storage space is packed.  In such a way we can get to things but not much spare space at all.    I"m just doing general categories and only some things am I doing quantity.   

I'm getting excited as fall is getting closer.  It's going to be weird having four employees.  I may talk to my longer term employee and see if she's willing to act as an assistant manager type position when I'm not there.  I'll be there all day the first week of a session to deal with problems, and the end of a session to deal with registrations, but the rest of the time I don't need to be there until 1pm except Thursdays and Fridays.   She's there in the mornings so if she's willing, that would be perfect. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Nothing here. It's just very hot and dry and I'm thinking hard about fall, pumpkins, and cool, chilling rain.

Fall is my favorite season.  I like the clothes better, pumpkins, Halloween is my favorite, everything (except I don't eat or drink anything pumpkin spice flavored except pumpkin pie).  

Only bad thing is it's the worst for my allergies. 

• Like 5

We're still getting lots of rain from Henri.  Not much wind, just lots and lots of rain.  So areas are flooding and the river we live on is overflowing.  We're up on a hill so doesn't effect us, but our neighbors have water up to their houses.  

Not cool and rainy though.  Hot and rainy so if you aren't actually standing in the rain, it's hot and steamy. 

ETA:  A hot and steamy rainy booya, I guess?

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 3
  • Sad 5