Jump to content

Menu

Ignore this thread!


Recommended Posts

Hopefully, I didn't sound like a rude wine snob. I discovered cooking with wines a few years ago, kind of recent given my number of years...

Red wines have a heavier tone/flavor, which is why they go better with red meats, which have a stronger flavor. White meats are delicate, and red wines would overpower their flavor, thus the use of white wines which also are lighter and more delicate-flavored.

It can make a big difference in a recipe. I've made beef stew with white, instead of red, wine and the flavor is a bit off because we expect a strong flavor and it was missing. However, interchanging red wines with other reds, and whites with other whites is usually a pass. I use google to find alternatives. Like, an alternative for white wine is apple juice or chicken broth, both clear liquids.

 

EDIT: A don't-get-drunk-off-your-cooking BOOYA!

Edited by Renai
B.O.O.Y.A.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need another computer for Gymnast. Do you have any suggestions? It needs to be able to download apps, like the one for her Chinese lessons, and Teaching Textbooks.

Don't say Dell. If anyone even mentions Dell in a positive light as a response to my question, you will be threatened with your removal from the Ninja Elephant Brigade. 🤨

Thanks. 😁

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Renai said:

I need another computer for Gymnast. Do you have any suggestions? It needs to be able to download apps, like the one for her Chinese lessons, and Teaching Textbooks.

Don't say Dell. If anyone even mentions Dell in a positive light as a response to my question, you will be threatened with your removal from the Ninja Elephant Brigade. 🤨

Thanks. 😁

I hate Dell.

My top pick would be a Chromebook but I'm too old and technologically illiterate to know if it will meet your needs.

My second pick would be to go to target and get the cheapest laptop they have regardless of brand. I got the second cheapest because the cheapest didn't have a DVD drive. It's an HP.

I am a hypocrite because I plan to replace everything with Apple as it breaks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

I need to bring dd18 to classes and call the bank this morning.  One of the deacons from church is also visiting to help assess our immediate and future needs.  I need to start writing thank you cards.  And buy stamps.  The girls have their first violin/viola lesson this afternoon - it will be so good to see their teacher again!  The kids may or may not go to Scouts tonight - dd15 indicated yesterday that she didn't want to go.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know what kind of laptop we have but I HATE it. You cannot do anyhing on it offline or without a paid subscription. I told DH I want an old school desktop with a flat panel monitor and a dvd/cd drive. Preferably Windows XP. That way I can view and print our Homeschool in the Woods Timeline Figures and maybe find a good learn to type program for Oldest and I. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I don't know what kind of laptop we have but I HATE it. You cannot do anyhing on it offline or without a paid subscription. I told DH I want an old school desktop with a flat panel monitor and a dvd/cd drive. Preferably Windows XP. That way I can view and print our Homeschool in the Woods Timeline Figures and maybe find a good learn to type program for Oldest and I. 

The world will not allow you to have XP. Everything is updated to the point that an XP will not run properly anymore.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Slache said:

The world will not allow you to have XP. Everything is updated to the point that an XP will not run properly anymore.

Really? Even just for offline use? I figured it would work for office software (WPS seems to work similar enough to Microsoft Office) and adobe reader so we could use an offline keyboarding course (TGTB has one).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

Really? Even just for offline use? I figured it would work for office software (WPS seems to work similar enough to Microsoft Office) and adobe reader so we could use an offline keyboarding course (TGTB has one).

You can no longer buy XP. Things like Word and Excel might not work on XP, and if they do they won't for long.

I hate Windows 10. I'm so totally with you, but it just doesn't work. You should get Windows 10, Linux with an XP simulator, or Apple. I'm switching to Apple, which is going to cost me $4,000. I made the decision about a year ago, but I'm waiting for things to actually break before replacing them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Slache said:

You can no longer buy XP. Things like Word and Excel might not work on XP, and if they do they won't for long.

I hate Windows 10. I'm so totally with you, but it just doesn't work. You should get Windows 10, Linux with an XP simulator, or Apple. I'm switching to Apple, which is going to cost me $4,000. I made the decision about a year ago, but I'm waiting for things to actually break before replacing them.

Our laptop is some generic brand (Lenova?) that DH bought without knowing a thing about computers. It's Windows 10.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Renai said:

I really want an Apple (I have a MacBook Pro), but don't want to buy expensive things for Gymnast. 

Can you do an iPad? They're $330.

5 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Our laptop is some generic brand (Lenova?) that DH bought without knowing a thing about computers. It's Windows 10.

What's your ram/rom?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dh is the computer/laptop expert.

We are buying a new one every two years -- we are giving each of our kids a laptop when they graduate homeschool.  It's a graduation gift that they will be (hopefully) able to use until they finish their bachelor's degrees.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

No clue. I am sooo not turning it on to find out, either. That thing drives me crazy always wanting to go online for EVERYTHING. Even after you tell it to go offline. I don't think I've ever despised a computer more than this one.

That's Windows 10. That's what it does. That's why we're switching to Macs.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Can you do an iPad? They're $330.

What's your ram/rom?

Maybe. Apparently I have no issue purchasing a subpar pc for $300, but an issue with a $300 iPad.... No idea what my issue is. Maybe I had a higher price in mind so stayed away from it...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Renai said:

Maybe. Apparently I have no issue purchasing a subpar pc for $300, but an issue with a $300 iPad.... No idea what my issue is. Maybe I had a higher price in mind so stayed away from it...

You get more with a subpar pc. It feels better. I'm going to cry as I start dishing out for these apples. I've been band-aiding my $100 tablet for a year trying to not pay for an ipad, but the fact is we need higher quality materials in this home, and I'm not willing to pay that much for Windows, so if I'm paying we're switching.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

You get more with a subpar pc. It feels better. I'm going to cry as I start dishing out for these apples. I've been band-aiding my $100 tablet for a year trying to not pay for an ipad, but the fact is we need higher quality materials in this home, and I'm not willing to pay that much for Windows, so if I'm paying we're switching.

Smart pencil $99

Smart keyboard $159

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Our laptop is some generic brand (Lenova?) that DH bought without knowing a thing about computers. It's Windows 10.

Lenovas are actually really good computers.  I think it's the brand that used to be Toshiba.   Dh had one that lasted about 11 years before needing to be replaced.   I have a Lenova too. 

Between my computer (lenova), and the ones I have at the classroom (Dell, HP, Compaq, and a little bitty Lenova), the main difference in how well they work has to do more with the processor, and the amount of memory (RAM especially) it has.   We always take our new computers to Geek Squad and have them take off all the excess crap that MS puts on them and do a new install of the operating system.  They generally work much better at that point. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

Lenovas are actually really good computers.  I think it's the brand that used to be Toshiba.   Dh had one that lasted about 11 years before needing to be replaced.   I have a Lenova too. 

Between my computer (lenova), and the ones I have at the classroom (Dell, HP, Compaq, and a little bitty Lenova), the main difference in how well they work has to do more with the processor, and the amount of memory (RAM especially) it has.   We always take our new computers to Geek Squad and have them take off all the excess crap that MS puts on them and do a new install of the operating system.  They generally work much better at that point. 

I had no idea you could do that, but our speed is fine. It just won't let me use ms office offline which super irks me because that and adobe are really the only things I use on it. I downloaded WPS and use it instead but still... 😡

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

We recently replaced our PC with a ThinkPad, removable dvd player thing, and docking station.  I don't know anything about it except where to plug it in, and it took me 3 months to learn that.  

I was also looking at possibly a ThinkPad.

Every Dell laptop we've had broke within 6 months. One, within 3. Not durable at all.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

I am feeling very fatigued -- the past few days have been especially bad. 😞

Dh and I are trying to brainstorm to see if we can solve the problem.  He's planning to buy me a glucose monitor so we can see if my blood sugar is off.

My blood pressure is good.  My bloodwork from June says that my anemia is controlled.

So we might have to do some work and visit a couple of doctors to figure this out. 😞

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morning. The kitten is completely recovered from her vaccinations (she had a tough time--I'll break up her vaccinations next year) but back to normal now. Meaning she got us up at 5 because it was playtime. I have her out romping and running today with the other kittens to hopefully wear her out a little better for the evening. 

Other than that, it's hot, it's dry, and I'm tired of both. When's fall?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

I am feeling very fatigued -- the past few days have been especially bad. 😞

Dh and I are trying to brainstorm to see if we can solve the problem.  He's planning to buy me a glucose monitor so we can see if my blood sugar is off.

My blood pressure is good.  My bloodwork from June says that my anemia is controlled.

So we might have to do some work and visit a couple of doctors to figure this out. 😞

 

Could you be lacking any of the B vitamins? That's the only thing you haven't mentioned that I can think of.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morning.  Happy Tuesday.  

Today I started torturing the children.   At least you would think so by how ds reacted.   We started our exercise/walking program.  We went to a nearby walking path that is two miles long.   It's completely flat and has a few exercise stations (that only dd did) but ds found it difficult and fell behind so tried to run the last bit to catch up.   He's also super cranky because he slept way too late yesterday (dh and I weren't home) so didn't sleep at all last night.    Hopefully it will get better.  I knew it wasn't going to be fun and I'd have to push through.  Except tomorrow we are getting remnants from Ida so no walking outside but I'm going to make them exercise either at home or at the science center.   

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neko's vet appointment went well.  The snobby vet has actually been very nice the last few times so I might need to come up with a different descriptor for her.  🙂

Neko has gained some weight - the prednisone does help his appetite. This is very good since he had gone from 16 pounds to 10.  (He's a Russian Blue male so 16 pounds wasn't really overweight before).  Now he's up to 11 pounds.  The prednisone has lowered his immunity a bit though so he has a tiny cold.  But it doesn't seem to bother him.  But we are lowering the prednisone a bit. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That backfired!

I know, right?! I was thinking she'd do another genre with her violin, but nope. The nice thing is, my dad is a trumpet player, and I think that is part of the reason she took an interest in it. I don't know how long that interest will last though...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good evening!

Busy day.  I visited the bank and got some information.  Emailed a company.  Brought dd18 to school and work.  Did Other Things.  My parents replaced the towel bars in my bathroom which were the wrong color and were falling apart.  Now I have a TP holder that really works!      
  
Is it bedtime yet?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...