Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good evening!

Busy day.  I visited the bank and got some information.  Emailed a company.  Brought dd18 to school and work.  Did Other Things.  My parents replaced the towel bars in my bathroom which were the wrong color and were falling apart.  Now I have a TP holder that really works!      

Is it bedtime yet?

It’s bedtime somewhere 

It's also a Booyah somewhere! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Slache said:

Matt played Hakuna Matata and everyone sang along. Isaac's mind was BLOWN. Like "Why do all know this new song!?"

When ds21 was younger, he played Little League.  His favorite position was catcher.  Whenever he had to go to the mound to offer the pitcher some encouraging words, he kept his speech short and simple: "Hakuna Matata."  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Good morning!

I slept for over 6 hours!

Dd18 has classes today, and Sir Pups-a-lot is going to the groomer.  I need to make some phone calls.  I hate making phone calls.  Dd23 had her first 12 hour nursing shift yesterday - she said her unit is awesome and her preceptor is amazing. 

Coffee!

• Like 8

Coffee!  

yay for first shifts and new towels holders (we have several broken ones - and most of out TP holders are free standing for the same reason. why can’t they do better?).  And why won’t my phone auto capitalize when I want it to? And yay for trumpets and awesome kitchens and dead flies and cooking with wine and Macs and so on and so forth. (When youngest wanted a laptop and we wanted cheap, we got a chrome book. No idea if it meets your needs. #nottechsavvy

Also, Susan is phone call champion!  🍫🏆🍫🏆🍫🏆. You can do it!  (Virtually holding hand.) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I had to fire one of my teachers today and the year hasn't even started.  😟

After she was hired, she sent me a notice that she was going to be on vacation during two weeks of our first session (which is 8 weeks long).   I did mention at interviews that we are very small, its hard to find coverage, and we'd prefer vacations be scheduled during weeks we are closed (we have 4 break weeks and are off for the major holiday weeks, it's a 32 week class year).    Then at the bottom of an email about something else (where I evidently missed it until she mentioned it at orientation Monday) she added a third week to her initial vacation.   After discussing that one possibility for making up her vacation was to use the break week (really for things like snow days, teachers sick, etc) today she sent me an email with additional dates she is unavailable, basically the entire first break week.  

I have four (now three) very part-time employees.  One of her classes is at a time I teach so I can't cover it.   I just feel like missing almost 1/2 of the first session is going to be way disruptive to the kids and everyone else.  She was teaching the littlest - Pre-K to 2nd grade. 

Ugh, this is the worst part of owning a business.  It's the first time I've had to deal with something like this.

• Sad 9

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

Having a good-ish day here today.  We got through some homeschool and talked about a few attitude problems that need to be taken care of.

I'm trying to get some online shopping done today and I need to schedule some doctor's appointments.

Pasta with meat sauce for dinner.

Zoom Iglesia tonight. 

And Ida -- I think we're just supposed to get rain and maybe some thunderstorms.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Coffee!  

(When youngest wanted a laptop and we wanted cheap, we got a chrome book. No idea if it meets your needs. #nottechsavvy

Also, Susan is phone call champion!  🍫🏆🍫🏆🍫🏆. You can do it!  (Virtually holding hand.) 

I'd love to get a chromebook, but they don't have the ability to download apps we need. like for her Chinese class they have their own app. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

After she was hired, she sent me a notice that she was going to be on vacation during two weeks of our first session (which is 8 weeks long).   I did mention at interviews that we are very small, its hard to find coverage, and we'd prefer vacations be scheduled during weeks we are closed (we have 4 break weeks and are off for the major holiday weeks, it's a 32 week class year).    Then at the bottom of an email about something else (where I evidently missed it until she mentioned it at orientation Monday) she added a third week to her initial vacation.   After discussing that one possibility for making up her vacation was to use the break week (really for things like snow days, teachers sick, etc) today she sent me an email with additional dates she is unavailable, basically the entire first break week.  

I have four (now three) very part-time employees.  One of her classes is at a time I teach so I can't cover it.   I just feel like missing almost 1/2 of the first session is going to be way disruptive to the kids and everyone else.  She was teaching the littlest - Pre-K to 2nd grade. 

Ugh, this is the worst part of owning a business.  It's the first time I've had to deal with something like this.

Sounds like you did the necessary thing.  I cannot understand why someone wouldn't understand that you need to be available to teach when classes are in session.  Especially when you have very very generous breaks.  (Most work I know does not have four weeks off during the year.)  Hopefully someone can cover the one class that you can't cover.  (At least.) 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

What a difficult situation the teacher put you in. I worked at a pprivate preschool once with my mentor teacher (she was also the founder) and a similar thing happened. The teacher she hired actually had to leave town though, and it was a couple of days before school was to start! Ugh. I was asked to move from afterschool teacher to co-teacher temporarily, and was allowed to have Dancer with me even though she was in first grade (they knew I homeschooled and was already accepted to be there in the afternoon). It really is a stressful experience finding coverage last minute, the vetting process for working with children, etc.

Sorry you're going through this. It will work out.

• Like 6

Ok. Matt has finished every class and passed every test and now he has to do a 2 week practicum and then take THE BIG TEST which has a 30% pass rate and costs $250 every time you take it. Once he passes he waits a few weeks for certification, time we will use to attempt to secure funds to buy all of his tools, then he's working. Then we're rich. Or homeless because he can't pass the test or buy tools. Stay tuned to find out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Chester got the (almost) full shave.  Poor puppy gets so matted around his collar and harness areas.  The groomer was able to keep his face, tail, and feet a bit fluffy, so he is looking pretty dapper.  I really liked this place and it was FAR cheaper (by more than half) than the last place we took him, so we will go back there regularly now.  Plus, they will give him a full brush-out really cheap, so we can do that and not have to pay for a full groom quite as often.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Ok. Matt has finished every class and passed every test and now he has to do a 2 week practicum and then take THE BIG TEST which has a 30% pass rate and costs $250 every time you take it. Once he passes he waits a few weeks for certification, time we will use to attempt to secure funds to buy all of his tools, then he's working. Then we're rich. Or homeless because he can't pass the test or buy tools. Stay tuned to find out.

To anyone who responded confused.

My husband is in school for home inspection. This will increase our income while decreasing his workload. He used to work 60 hours a week but this will be 40 with more money for quality food and some fun stuff. I used to work part time but that's no longer an option.

He's been juggling his two jobs and school and taking care of the kids and taking care of me and it's just been so much for him with his zilllion classes and tests and everything. This brings him so much closer to simplicity and stability.

So, practicum, test, work. Go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Slache said:

To anyone who responded confused.

My husband is in school for home inspection. This will increase our income while decreasing his workload. He used to work 60 hours a week but this will be 40 with more money for quality food and some fun stuff. I used to work part time but that's no longer an option.

He's been juggling his two jobs and school and taking care of the kids and taking care of me and it's just been so much for him with his zilllion classes and tests and everything. This brings him so much closer to simplicity and stability.

So, practicum, test, work. Go!

Thanks. I thought I remembered that's what he does but couldn't figure out why he was in school for something he already does, if that makes sense. It's awesome that this will reduce his workload and increase his income! Double win!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thanks. I thought I remembered that's what he does but couldn't figure out why he was in school for something he already does, if that makes sense. It's awesome that this will reduce his workload and increase his income! Double win!

He does commercial but is in school for home. Commercial is like $60 per job but home is in the hundreds, which is why he'll only work one job. Very M-F 9-5ish.

• Like 3

Morning.   We lost power around midnight, ds woke me up around 4am to tell me we lost power (I already knew), now it's 8:30 and I'm finally have my tea at the science center.  I ran out and picked up Panera.   We'll be hanging out there until power is restored, supposedly sometime around 4pm.   There was a tree down suspended over the road at the entrance to our neighborhood which is evidently what caused the problem.   We had to drive under it to leave.

Oldest dd is here with me to help me do some cleaning (already on the plan for today).  Ds and younger dd are also here because, no power.    I have a teacher coming at 10:30 because she missed orientation Monday and I'm interviewing a new potential teacher at 2pm, and my long-time teacher/manager is coming to sit in on the interview and do some set-up for her classes.  

It's going to be a crazy day and if ds wakes me up early tomorrow I'm going to lock him in his room every night.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!

I was so tired last night and couldn't get to sleep.  My body was exhausted, but my brain just would not shut down.  I was awake until at least 4. 😞

I think we're having fajitas for dinner.  Anyone want to come cook?

Slache is on her way!  She’s winning!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

This morning I needed to dispose of particularly stinky  bag of used cat litter.  So, while still in my jammies (ie. a t-shirt and underpants) I opened the front door to just put it outside until I could take it later out to the bins once properly dressed.  And I was greeted by a female neighbor out at the curb calling out "Hi".  How embarrassing!  (Though I was more covered than I would be in a bathing suit). 

• Like 1

I'm sooooo tired.   We are still hanging out at the science center waiting to hear our power is back.  It supposed to be by 4pm but its after that now. 

I interviewed a possible new teacher today.  She sent her resume back when we were looking before but we never had her come in.  I should have.  I really liked her.  I'm making a final decision by Monday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2