Menu

Ignore this thread!

Back from church. We had a guest speaker today. He’s 90+ years old, kind of a stalwart in our denomination…. he’s been pastor, taught at our church high school back in the 1950’s-60’s, was a college president, etc. So everyone knows him. Anyhow, he delivered a 40 minute sermon standing straight as an arrow behind the pulpit, he’s sharp as a tack, has a wonderful speaking voice, delivered a meaty sermon peppered with hilarious anecdotes from his own life and basically had the congregation eating out of the palm of his hand. It was pretty cool.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Fall is my favorite season.  I like the clothes better, pumpkins, Halloween is my favorite, everything (except I don't eat or drink anything pumpkin spice flavored except pumpkin pie).  

Only bad thing is it's the worst for my allergies. 

I love fall, too. The colors, the clothes, but basically it is just a relief from the heat of summer, and knowing it’s going to be a while yet before summer comes again.

• Like 5

Morning.  I can't sleep.  

For some reason I'm tossing and turning all night.  I tried not eating my usual treat at night, making sure I'm moving a lot during the day, etc. and nothing is working.  

Last week of camp starts today.  Our weather is iffy so I have to figure out distancing for break time.  Maybe.  I'll have to put up the canopy and see if its actively raining or not.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

It's Monday and I've got coffee and all the driving for the week figured out.  I think.  I think our weather is in the low 90s all week, that's really hot for us, but within the range of normal for this time of year, but not at all comfortable.  Especially for kids running and conditioning outside.  #runonsandfragments

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Hope you got some sleep, Jean!  Everyone here has started taking melatonin at night.

Ds26 has to go to the doctor this morning to get the all clear to return to work...from home, lol.  Yesterday, Dd23 returned to The City that Must Not Be Named - she starts her new job orientation tomorrow.  Grandma and grandpa are going to take dd12 to the ortho for a checkup.  Dd18 has classes today though her last class will be zoom because her professor is in quarantine.  The rest of the kids will do regular lessons.

Imma see what I can do about organizing the freezer.  I might vacuum seal some things to reduce packaging space.  My sister and SIL are going to work on some freezer meals for us.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 9

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!L~D

Monday!!😩😩😩😩😩

School and work. I am really hoping work settles down a bit. This is really going to be a rough year due to all the requirements. The Covid surge has put the kabosh on in-person family meetings and as absolutely valuable as they are, I have to say I am relieved because that gives me some more time in my day. And I am really bugged about that because we are trading in valuable relationships stuff for stupid paperwork and documentation stuff and that makes me mad.

It’s not supposed to be so hot at the beginning of this week, but getting back in to the 100’s by the weekend.

• Like 8

I found/bought WTM first edition and I can't wait to read it. I think I finally figured out the progression of some of the curriculum recs that have confused me for years. Breaking every little piece of language arts apart into its own curriculum is one thing, but then changing names of the curriculum at each stage of the trivium too?! Yeah... I once was lost, but now am found; was blind, but now I see.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Again? I must've missed what happened last week.

I was just joking with her.  Some of her packages ended up going from Florida to Massachusetts instead of to Texas.  I told her that she should move, so that she could live where her packages were.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Junie said:

I was just joking with her.  Some of her packages ended up going from Florida to Massachusetts instead of to Texas.  I told her that she should move, so that she could live where her packages were.

They did come. It was cheaper than moving.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Day 1 down.  It's another great group of kids.  Lots of younger ones this week so more differentiation is going to be needed, but we can definitely do that easily enough.

My landlord was hanging around shortly before I left today.  Not sure what was up but he did ask me if I was still interested in the bigger space.  We are, but not for the price they are asking.  I told him again what we were willing to pay, that it was very fair for the current market, and left it at that.   I think they are starting to realize they aren't going to get what they are asking.  The current tenant is responsible until December so they haven't felt any urgency but it's a pretty decent percentage of the building to sit empty.    Ran into current tenant a week or so ago and they probably can't get all their stuff out before November, so even if it all worked out we wouldn't move in until our winter break (2 weeks December to January).

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Good luck.  Is he on academic probation yet?  🤣

Today he forgot to take it with him. We'll see how day 2 goes.

39 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

So, does anyone want to come over and do the dishes for me??

Nope.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Morning.  Happy Tuesday.

I slept much better last night.  Woke up early because I'm meeting dd to workout this morning, but for the time I was in bed, I slept well.  I'm so relieved.   Now I just have to stop staying up late and going to bed at a decent time and things will be good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!

Glad you got some better sleep, Toto!  And keeping fingers crossed that the landlord will come down to a reasonable price on that space!

Yesterday while my family was working in the yard (in the 90* heat) and setting trimmings out at the curb, a guy in a city utility truck stopped and said, "You know, if you'd just wait another half hour it will be even hotter out here for ya." Lol.

I have to make some phone calls today.  Svengo.  I also need to stop by the funeral home, so I will get to visit with Mack, their sweet therapy sheepadoodle - that should help fortify me somewhat.

I often want to use "svengo" in non-ITT-related situations and am fairly disappointed that it is not a universally known word.  

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Slache said:

Matt says he's on secret double probation and you should know what that is. I hope that's funny.

I wasn't sure how to react. Laugh or cry. So I laughed because I totally get it. 

We keep a big wall calendar in the kitchen and anything that gets scheduled (dr appts, out of town commitments, visitors coming, ect) go on this calendar or they do not exist. I do have to check the big desk calendar in the office, though, before scheduling stuff if I need DH for any of it so he can try to plan his work accordingly.

We have friends who use an online planner or app (not sure) where the whole family (husband, wife, and the kids old enough to have smart phones) can put stuff on it and it syncs from all of their phones. No need to remember a physical planner.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

I'm looking at reviews on more books for Oldest. The ones that go along with history (that I bought Novel Ties for) I think are going to be read alouds this year so I can be more involved. So I thought I'd order some new books for him to just enjoy. If he likes a book alot, he tends to want to read aloud to us, so.... More books, books, books.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I wasn't sure how to react. Laugh or cry. So I laughed because I totally get it. 

We keep a big wall calendar in the kitchen and anything that gets scheduled (dr appts, out of town commitments, visitors coming, ect) go on this calendar or they do not exist. I do have to check the big desk calendar in the office, though, before scheduling stuff if I need DH for any of it so he can try to plan his work accordingly.

We have friends who use an online planner or app (not sure) where the whole family (husband, wife, and the kids old enough to have smart phones) can put stuff on it and it syncs from all of their phones. No need to remember a physical planner.

I use Google Calendar for those things, this is an hourly breakdown. It's actually a 13 week goal planner where you decide on a goal, create action steps to make it all happen, then work those action steps into your day. For this one I have "Maintain a daily schedule" which has 5 steps of getting up at 6 every day, putting phones away at 4, dropping everything to get ready for bed at 9 (it's better to get everything done in the morning while rested than work exhausted) create a schedule before bed and review it in the morning.

11 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm looking at reviews on more books for Oldest. The ones that go along with history (that I bought Novel Ties for) I think are going to be read alouds this year so I can be more involved. So I thought I'd order some new books for him to just enjoy. If he likes a book alot, he tends to want to read aloud to us, so.... More books, books, books.

I usually pick the books that Sonlight and Beautiful Feet have in common. I also have Timeline of The Classics which is a booklist that's in chronological order so he can pursue rabbit trails as needed.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Slache said:

I use Google Calendar for those things, this is an hourly breakdown.

I usually pick the books that Sonlight and Beautiful Feet have in common. I also have Timeline of The Classics which is a booklist that's in chronological order...

HOURLY?! 😱 I would leave that planner at home too! Or die 😂

I look at SL alot and BF when I remember to, but I had no idea Timeline of the Classics even existed. Thanks! Off to Google...

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

HOURLY?! 😱 I would leave that planner at home too! Or die 😂

I look at SL alot and BF when I remember to, but I had no idea Timeline of the Classics even existed. Thanks! Off to Google...

It's not terrible. His schedule changes daily and he often forgets things and that stresses him out. Today his says

6 Yoga?

9 -------------------------------

1---------------------------------

2 Errands

6 Chicken Salad

The lines indicate inspections but he does inspections at different times every day so he will often think "I will do X at 2" but he's busy at 2 so that doesn't work. That was frustrating him so now he sees it and can plan. He has ADD, but I don't know if that's him having ADD or just him being a man. 

Then the right page is blank so he can get his brain on paper and stop stressing about it all. I told him to write his errands down because he keeps complaining that he needs to go like 5 places but "I won't give him the time" despite the fact that I keep telling him to on his way home! He leaves the house every day. I'm not stoping him, he's stoping himself by not figuring out what he needs to do so I told him to figure it out and write it down.

Right now he has two jobs and school and he's really flustered, and I'm struggling with tring to get basic school and chores done so I'm writing all my stuff down too, and hoping this will mean more sleep and getting more done and less sitting around stressed because we have so many balls in the air.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Slache said:

It's not terrible. His schedule changes daily and he often forgets things and that stresses him out. Today his says

6 Yoga?

9 -------------------------------

1---------------------------------

2 Errands

6 Chicken Salad

The lines indicate inspections but he does inspections at different times every day so he will often think "I will do X at 2" but he's busy at 2 so that doesn't work. That was frustrating him so now he sees it and can plan. He has ADD, but I don't know if that's him having ADD or just him being a man. 

Then the right page is blank so he can get his brain on paper and stop stressing about it all. I told him to write his errands down because he keeps complaining that he needs to go like 5 places but "I won't give him the time" despite the fact that I keep telling him to on his way home! He leaves the house every day. I'm not stoping him, he's stoping himself by not figuring out what he needs to do so I told him to figure it out and write it down.

Right now he has two jobs and school and he's really flustered, and I'm struggling with tring to get basic school and chores done so I'm writing all my stuff down too, and hoping this will mean more sleep and getting more done and less sitting around stressed because we have so many balls in the air.

Ah, now the picture is getting clearer. I thought you were implementing and he was rebelling. Haha. I hope you can help him find a system that works for him. I can see how that would be frustrating. DH gets overwhelmed when he already has a full day/week scheduled and then something comes up with a customer (emergencies happen) that HAS to be addressed and we have to reschedule EVERYTHING.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Bored bored Bored bored Bored bored  
Bored bored Bored bored Bored bored  
Bored bored Bored bored   
I miss camp. Bored bored    
Bored bored Bored bored    
Bored bored Bored bored    
Bored bored Bored bored 

(Jean, 8/2017, 2 days after camp ends)

I resemble that remark.  I love camp. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So I made phone calls and sent an email and ran an errand.  My first call to FEMA was interesting - they directed my call to a person, but when they picked up the line, all I could hear was talking and yelling.  For 3 minutes.  I finally hung up and called again and got to talk to a very kind gentleman.

My brother and dad are currently trying to fix the dishwasher, which was having conniption fits this morning with error numbers and words flashing in red.  It sounds like they may have it figured out. 👍

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

SIGGY BOOYA!

Siggy updated. For Servie:

Together: Bible, SOTW, Astronomy
John, 5th: Saxon, IEW, Drawing, Piano, Violin, Greek, Latin, Spanish, Japanese
Mary, 3rd: Saxon, Dictation, Drawing, Piano, Greek, Spanish
Alex, Kindy; Phonics Pathways, Singapore, Home Art Studio, Spanish
Isaac 1 year: Causing a ruckus

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4