• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

12 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I was up half the night itching.  So much itching.  I have found many many little things that look like minuscule ticks stuck on me.  I'm assuming they are little ticks.  They look exactly like ticks and stick on my skin like a tick.  So that's itchy, plus what is probably chigger bites.  I should probably take some Benadryl.  

Everyone else is at church.  My Notgrass box came last night, so I want to look through that today.  Pup is going to the "Salon" for a bath and nail trim.  

Coffee!

This sounds very bad!  Are they actually ticks?  Does that make you at risk for Lyme?  Should you go to the dr?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

My phone let me back in and I come back to snake eggs?! No. If I found snake eggs, I would not be watching them. They'd be sling-shotted as far away as humanly possible. I scared of snakes, Critter. Has nothing at all to do with having a boa constrictor wrap around my neck and squeeze Jungle Book style once upon a time. Wait, yes it does. And where's Mama Snake, btw? THAT is the million dollar question. I'm not against snakes, I respect them. I just prefer to keep them at a safe and greeeeaaaaat distance.

Snakes usually come out ready to fend for themselves. They may be ready to hatch.

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

@Slache Our babies are gonna be a year old soon! Time sure is flying!

What are you giving him? I'm struggling with ideas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

This sounds very bad!  Are they actually ticks?  Does that make you at risk for Lyme?  Should you go to the dr?

I looked it up and they are definitely ticks and there's a risk of Lyme, but Imma wait and see if I come up with any symptoms - anything flu-like or sore joints.  It's weird because I had covered myself pretty well with Deet and no one else got chiggers and ticks. I must have sat in the wrong spot.  I hope I finally got them all, annoying things.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

13 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Apparently, this song has been banned from local Bars because the house bands just can't stand having to play it any more.  So I will post it here in protest.  It's fun to play on ukulele.

This is one of the few songs my entire family dances to.

• Thanks 2

Morning. Back to camp today.  This week is CSI/Spy Camp.   The spy part is new but I've taught CSI/Forensics about a million times so most of it should be pretty easy.   I have help in the morning, but I'm on my own in the afternoon, but only have 6 or 7 kids so no big deal.  I was going to have dd come help but she's still not feeling 100% so I'm letting her off the hook at least for today.

• Like 5

Good morning! It's The Queen's favorite day!

Have fun with your camps, Toto!

Hope you can catch up with your day, Junie!

I am in itchy-scratchy hell right now, praying that the Benadryl kicks in soon.  Haven't found any more ticks, so that's good.  Just chigger nonsense.

Dh just left with three kids to send them off to church youth group camp in Florida.  Hope they have a good time.  Looks like the weather will be nice.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D (is not ready yet. 😩 The electricity went out yesterday and I messed up reprogramming the coffeemaker.)

Monday!!😩😩😩

Hot!!🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️ Oh, and we now have a wildfire in the area.  We are never in danger because we live in a developed area, but DH has two siblings who live in the mountains, so it’s always a little worrisome for them.

Got a lot to get done for work today. The summer is just slipping by.

• Like 5

The kitten has decided today is a good day for taking a nap on my desk. I can't say she's wrong.

Got some writing and painting to do today, and watering as always. I'm caught between wanting fall to get here because it's hot and too sunny, and panicking because there's too much left to do in summer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

EdPo:

Ok, so…. I just need a little moral support here. This is one of those, “Homeschool Ideal” vs. “Reality of my Situation” things. When I started looking into homeschooling 15 years ago, I read the Well Trained Mind and loved it. I tried really hard to do a classical education, had a lot of failures and some compromises, but overall, that is the basic direction we are heading. And I have not compromised with Latin. I love Latin, I love to study Latin and I am convinced that it is important to study. That’s my ideal.  The Reality of my Situation: I have a job, which does allow me to homeschool, but is starting to take up more of my time. The girls are getting older and more independent, so that’s good, and I do feel like I can do a good job homeschooling,  but as I have been going over what we need to do this year, I’m needing to drop some of the more teacher intensive things, and Latin has been very teacher intensive. We have been doing CAP’s Latin for Children. It has been going fine, but the girls are not excited about Latin and I do have to walk them through all the recitations and everything else.  So, I am thinking about dropping Latin and having them do Rosetta Stone Spanish online. It kills me to do that, but I don’t know what else to do.  I know they will be fine and all that, blah, blah, blah, but I feel pretty down about it because I just feel like I am continuing to lose my ideals. And I really don’t have too many of those. I tend to be more pragmatic than idealistic, but for homeschooling…..I’m more idealistic. And it’s kind of making me sad.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Slache said:

Snakes usually come out ready to fend for themselves. They may be ready to hatch.

What are you giving him? I'm struggling with ideas.

He doesn't really NEED anything and we have more toys than a toy store, so we're just putting money in his savings account and the older kids are going to help me make and decorate a birthday cake.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

EdPo:

Ok, so…. I just need a little moral support here. This is one of those, “Homeschool Ideal” vs. “Reality of my Situation” things. When I started looking into homeschooling 15 years ago, I read the Well Trained Mind and loved it. I tried really hard to do a classical education, had a lot of failures and some compromises, but overall, that is the basic direction we are heading. And I have not compromised with Latin. I love Latin, I love to study Latin and I am convinced that it is important to study. That’s my ideal.  The Reality of my Situation: I have a job, which does allow me to homeschool, but is starting to take up more of my time. The girls are getting older and more independent, so that’s good, and I do feel like I can do a good job homeschooling,  but as I have been going over what we need to do this year, I’m needing to drop some of the more teacher intensive things, and Latin has been very teacher intensive. We have been doing CAP’s Latin for Children. It has been going fine, but the girls are not excited about Latin and I do have to walk them through all the recitations and everything else.  So, I am thinking about dropping Latin and having them do Rosetta Stone Spanish online. It kills me to do that, but I don’t know what else to do.  I know they will be fine and all that, blah, blah, blah, but I feel pretty down about it because I just feel like I am continuing to lose my ideals. And I really don’t have too many of those. I tend to be more pragmatic than idealistic, but for homeschooling…..I’m more idealistic. And it’s kind of making me sad.

I would drop it and do Spanish. I might go back to Latin in high school when they're more independent. You could also do half a Latin lesson a day, but I don't like that idea. I think half a lesson would still be 3/4 of the work and time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

EdPo:

How much Latin have they done?  'Cuz I'm thinking it's already more Latin than most kids get in a lifetime, so there's that.  My only thoughts are what Slachey said, or alternately, have an older kid who has nothing to do (because that's going to happen, right?) be you and do Latin with them. 

It's all going to be good. 

• Like 4

The Benadryl did indeed kick in and I slept for 3 hours.  I haven't taken benadryl in years.

Took dd12 with me to the post office because now all her playmates (aka siblings) are gone for the week and she is still missing camp and needs some distraction.  

I need to practice some music for a reception I'm playing tomorrow.

We're having chef salad and croissants for dinner.

• Like 5

FYI: Parenting 6 kids simultaneously is hard...

One is dealing with something on campus,

one needs help doing a chore,

one just lost part of a tooth,

one is going to need a ride home from work soon,

one wanted me to email her a specific picture (that I first had to actually take). 

One child is leaving me alone (for the moment).

I think I might go take a shower -- or just lock myself in the bathroom with a book and turn the shower on so they *think* I'm taking a shower.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I would drop it and do Spanish. I might go back to Latin in high school when they're more independent. You could also do half a Latin lesson a day, but I don't like that idea. I think half a lesson would still be 3/4 of the work and time.

Yes, you are right about. Plus, I am never really excited about slowing down a curriculum because then it just seems to drag and they don’t really learn it. There is a sweet spot with pacing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

The Benadryl did indeed kick in and I slept for 3 hours.  I haven't taken benadryl in years.

Took dd12 with me to the post office because now all her playmates (aka siblings) are gone for the week and she is still missing camp and needs some distraction.  

I need to practice some music for a reception I'm playing tomorrow.

We're having chef salad and croissants for dinner.

Benadryl is wonderful stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

How much Latin have they done?  'Cuz I'm thinking it's already more Latin than most kids get in a lifetime, so there's that.  My only thoughts are what Slachey said, or alternately, have an older kid who has nothing to do (because that's going to happen, right?) be you and do Latin with them. 

It's all going to be good. 

Well….. more than most kids their age. We are about half way through the second book in the series. TBH, I am not really excited about how CAP teaches Latin.  I love Memoria Press’s curriculum, but we started that, life got hard and we dropped it for a while and started CAP because we needed a fresh start and ….anyhow.

• Like 2

(((Krissi)))

No advice on the Latin.  My sister took four years in high school and all I learned how to say from her were a few (altered) phrases:

yes -- it's a weirdo

no -- Minute Maid

Dumb Cornelia said it; (Flawia cantat).

And that, my friends, is the whole of my Latin knowledge

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Junie said:

FYI: Parenting 6 kids simultaneously is hard...

I'm struggling with 4. I do intend to have John driving at 16 and that will be helpful.

11 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Yes, you are right about. Plus, I am never really excited about slowing down a curriculum because then it just seems to drag and they don’t really learn it. There is a sweet spot with pacing.

Agreed. I know some people do these things every other day but I can't do that. I can with content subjects, but not skills.

• Like 3

Want to make:

34 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I read a particularly disturbing chapter in my book and I'm still trying to recover so I'm doing another youtube video tutorial on playing the blues on ukulele. 

John just asked to read Where The Red Fern Grows. Ugh.

33 minutes ago, Junie said:

If only I had one... 😉

I know that I have one, but I'm fairly convinced it's reach max capacity and not helpful for anything other than not dying.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Junie said:

Also, do any of you know if we have to go to the dentist for a baby tooth that has only partially fallen out?

I seem to think that happened to Baby and we didn’t do anything. Or maybe we did take her in and they didn’t do anything.

• Like 3

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

Tuesday!!

Oldest DD has a dentist appt. today. Somehow she got dropped and never rescheduled after the plague and I think it’s been well over a year since she’s been in.🙄 And of course being the hypochondriac in the family, she informs me she thinks she has at least 20 cavities.

I think it's supposed to be closer to 100 degrees than 110 today. Get out the sweaters and hot chocolate.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

((Junie))

Slashie, I remember reading Where the Red Fern Grows aloud to my fifth grade class years ago. I had actually never read it before, but it was on the reading list, so I read it aloud. I literally started crying, right there in the middle of the class, and then the kids started crying and we had this big sob-fest right then and there. It was awful. I love that book. It is so beautifully written and the story is so wonderful, but it is so awful at the same time, I just don’t want to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

((Junie))

Slashie, I remember reading Where the Red Fern Grows aloud to my fifth grade class years ago. I had actually never read it before, but it was on the reading list, so I read it aloud. I literally started crying, right there in the middle of the class, and then the kids started crying and we had this big sob-fest right then and there. It was awful. I love that book. It is so beautifully written and the story is so wonderful, but it is so awful at the same time, I just don’t want to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I read it when I was in 6th grade - my teacher had a "classroom library" that we could borrow books from.  I still have it.

• Like 1

Morning. More writing and painting today, also watering. I need to be sure I register us for homeschool this month--have it scheduled to do next Monday. 

The summer doldrums have set in for sure. We do have next week off, and the MP catalog came yesterday. Right now I'm not looking at it because that means I'll be thinking about school, and I'm not mentally prepared to do that yet.

Lots for writing today. That's got to take priority right now.

• Like 4

Good morning!

Just got back from the endo doctor for a follow-up.  Got my calcium and vit. D levels tested - it will be interesting to see where they are now.  I will get my bone density checked in a year or so to see if it is improving on its own now that my parathyroids aren't going crazy.

If you ever read Lonesome Dove, just skip chapter 58.  You'll understand what happened, but there's no need to put yourself through that.

I'm learning "Mambo Italiano" on ukulele and I found a nice tutorial on playing "Take Me Home, Country Roads" to try out.

Gotta pay some bills!

Coffee!

• Like 6

Susan, I should probably read Lonesome Dove sometime. I never have. However, I have a part in one of my books where one of the insect characters works for a theater. He had to hide the main character, a fairy, in a closet full of clematis puffs, which my main character finds out he's allergic to. So when he finally gets to come out, sneezing, he asks the theater guy why they keep a closet of clematis puffs. The theater bug says they were "tumbleseeds from a production of Loathesome Dove".

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3