Menu

What's with the ads?

3 minutes ago, Spudater said:

We had an earthquake. Pretty soon we might have to design an Apocalyptic Disaster Bingo card. 
Seriously, though it felt very mild. It would have even seemed kind of cool if we weren’t already on high alert around here. 

i felt distinctly shaken up by the quake we had down here a couple of weeks ago--just seemed like a bit much on top of the pandemic...

• Like 5

Brag-po:

Dd17 wanted a formal gown and dd15 offered to make it.  They collaborated on their own design, and then dd15 altered a dress pattern and made the dress.  I think it turned out lovely.

IMG_2460.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

8 hours ago, KrissiK said:

TBH, the chem/physics book is my least favorite. We loved loved loved the zoology books. And we are enjoying the Astronomy book. We are going to do Botony next year.

The email from RR that showed the new 2nd edition botany book was being released is what started me back down the Apologia path. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Junie said:

Brag-po:

Dd17 wanted a formal gown and dd15 offered to make it.  They collaborated on their own design, and then dd15 altered a dress pattern and made the dress.  I think it turned out lovely.

IMG_2460.JPG

That's beautiful Junie!

• Like 4

Coffee is a little strong this morning, fyi.  

Junie, gorgeous dress!  Congrats to your dd!!

Servo, though I find much to like in the Apologia series, we rarely wanted to spend an entire year (or even most of it) on one topic, so I guess I agree with your ds.  I owned a couple of the books over the years and the only one I kept afterwards was the astronomy. 

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

Every time I move in any direction, Youngest wraps himself around one or both of my legs like a monkey. I'm gonna end up a beached whale on the floor if I'm not careful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Coffee is a little strong this morning, fyi.  

Junie, gorgeous dress!  Congrats to your dd!!

Servo, though I find much to like in the Apologia series, we rarely wanted to spend an entire year (or even most of it) on one topic, so I guess I agree with your ds.  I owned a couple of the books over the years and the only one I kept afterwards was the astronomy. 

Thanks, Lynne. This is what I needed to be reminded of. We do love the illustrations and explanations when looking further into a topic. I've used multiple experiments from our Apologia book to demonstrate concepts after we've learned about them. But is this enough reason to justify buying more of them if we won't realistically use them as a full curriculum? This is the question rolling through my head as I ogle them, once again.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, maize said:

i felt distinctly shaken up by the quake we had down here a couple of weeks ago--just seemed like a bit much on top of the pandemic...

Yeah - they are still working on disaster relief from the tornado that came through, what - three weeks ago now?  Seems much longer than that.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  Happy New Year!

Let the Pranks begin!

Coffee!

Oh yeah! Duh, it's April Fool's Day. 🤦 

#coffeehasntkickedinyet

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

Still not sleeping well...

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I finished Sense and Sensibility last night.  I have SWB's History of the Ancient World on my nightstand, but I'm not feeling it.  I might re-read a biography of Churchill.  Or re-start Birth of Britain.  Or try an American history text I have on hand.  Or maybe I'll browse my parents bookshelves later today.....  

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

17A

I have a dermatologist appointment today. I had a melanoma removed 10 years ago.  My cousin actually found it on the inside of my right ankle, my GP did a punch biopsy and when they found it was melanoma they referred me to this dermatologist who dug a big hole in my ankle. She did a pretty amazing job covering up her work because 10 years later and you can’t even see the scar. Over the years I’ve had a few henky moles removed, but no melanomas. I still get nervous going in, though.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I finished Sense and Sensibility last night.  I have SWB's History of the Ancient World on my nightstand, but I'm not feeling it.  I might re-read a biography of Churchill.  Or re-start Birth of Britain.  Or try an American history text I have on hand.  Or maybe I'll browse my parents bookshelves later today.....  

I am still working on finishing the three books I got going before I dig into the one that just came yesterday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good Morning.   I've been reading super light paranormal romance.  I can't seem to concentrate deeply.    

Dh is going down to see his mom this weekend.   He asked today if I was okay with him staying until next Thursday.  Her 85th birthday is Wednesday.   I think I'll actually get more done without him here since I have to be quiet while he's on conference calls.   

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I am still working on finishing the three books I got going before I dig into the one that just came yesterday.

I can only read one book at a time or stories get blended, blurred, and confused. Who did what, when, and where with who.... Little Women for fun at the same time as a major lit paper on Tess of the D'Urbervilles in highschool was what clued me in. Thankfully, I realized my folly before I finalized my paper, but I learned a valuable lesson: I can multi-task way better than I can multi-read. 😂

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Junie, that dress makes me want to watch an Audrey Hepburn movie. 

Oh, thank you so much!  Dd15 wants to be a costume designer in Hollywood, so your comment is very much appreciated. :)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Spudater said:

Junie, that dress makes me want to watch an Audrey Hepburn movie. 

Reminds me of Princess Diana or Kate Winslet in the movie Titanic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Junie said:

Oh, thank you so much!  Dd15 wants to be a costume designer in Hollywood, so your comment is very much appreciated. 🙂

Maybe she can be thenext Edith Head.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now I’m reading historical costuming blogs instead of taking a shower. 

Must motivate self. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Now I’m reading historical costuming blogs instead of taking a shower. 

Must motivate self. 

Oooh.  Can you send me links?  She's always looking for new ideas and perspectives.

• Like 1

I'm planning dinner around the fact I forgot to pull meat out of the freezer last night. So, stir fry it is because the meat will thaw faster than the roast I intended to cook.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

Oooh.  Can you send me links?  She's always looking for new ideas and perspectives.

It’s a blog called frockflicks.com that reviews movies and TV for historical costume accuracy. I’m not sure how you’d feel about letting your daughter loose on there because they are definitely PG-13 and even R rated sometimes in their language and the pictures they clip and some of the stuff they review you might not want her to see, so you probably want to look around a bit first.  But they really know their stuff and are super interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  We have a tradition of telling each other that it is snowing today.  Only nature pranked us a day early.  We had a heavy hailstorm last night and the ground was covered with white ice balls. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Or, maybe I want to buy a biography of John Quincy Adams.  Hmmmm..... Kindle or used paperback?  I guess Kindle is probably better at this point, though I usually prefer real books.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The blues make me happy.

I thought I knew the Break My Stride song, then I took this to be you calling it Blues, so I thought it was a different song since I don't think that song is Blues?   It did end up being the song I thought it was that I remember from the 80's.   So, is that Blues or were you referring to a different song?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I thought I knew the Break My Stride song, then I took this to be you calling it Blues, so I thought it was a different song since I don't think that song is Blues?   It did end up being the song I thought it was that I remember from the 80's.   So, is that Blues or were you referring to a different song?

I think Jean was being random - but we really could use some blues around here.  Maybe she'll post her favorite...

• Like 2

Dd17 and I should be on our way to the airport to spend 2 weeks in England.  Instead I will practice mandolin and play with the kids after dinner in our Social Distancing Music from the Living Room #2. (It's too cold to play out on the front porch.)

• Sad 5

I signed up for another virtual race challenge.  I did one in October that was a virtual 5K, then I did one January to March that was 100 mile challenge, now I'm doing one that goes April through June.   It's another 100 mile challenge, which will be a little harder since we can't go to the gym anymore, but that's part of the reason why I want to do it.  I need an incentive to make sure I'm still exercising.  Dh thinks these are lame, but I really do find them motivating.  Mainly because I would feel guilty getting/wearing the tshirt if I don't actually finish the challenge, so it pushes me to do it.  Outside accountability, at least sort of.  It's all on the honor system.   There's a Facebook page that posts pop up on my newsfeed which also helps remind me that I"m trying to do this.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blue birds,

Blue sky,

Blue jeans,

Blue eyes,

Blue cheese dressing,

Blue suede shoes,

Blue Plate mayo,

Blues Brothers, too.

Sorry, I don't know any blues. 

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I took another nap. Hmm. I wonder if I am still sick or if it{# stress related.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I took another nap. Hmm. I wonder if I am still sick or if it{# stress related.

Recovering from illness requires extra napping.  How was the dermatologist?

• Like 1

Dh finished the taxes while I filled out the census form.  Hooray for being responsible!

Now I'm eating chocolate and he is watching LoTR with dd17 and dd15.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

It’s only Wednesday. 

All day, I tohught it was Tuesday even while looking at the kids' lesson planners which clearly showed we were doing Wednesday's work.

Payday tomorrow! 2 weeks until we move again. We prayed about doing this and feel blessed in our choice, but it is still difficult to move.

I found out yesterday that my youngest sister just miscarried twins. They hadn't told anyone they were expecting yet. I'm sad for her as she really wanted more kids. She has some medical issues that make it difficult to get and stay pregnant.

Nothing else going on here.

Junie, that dress is beautiful. Your daughter has a real talent.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

Dh finished the taxes while I filled out the census form.  Hooray for being responsible!

Now I'm eating chocolate and he is watching LoTR with dd17 and dd15.

I have been watching through the Marvel movies in order with my kids. We are on Capt. America- The First Avenger. We LOVE LOTR!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Recovering from illness requires extra napping.  How was the dermatologist?

Very good. I saw the PA. With my history, I usually only see the doctor, but I decided to not make a big deal. She seemed very thorough and competent. I told her I was not a “keep an eye on it” kind of person. I am a “get this thing off my body” kind of person, because as my BFF says, “if it’s not there, it can’t turn into anything.” So, she took something off my shoulder to biopsy. She also looked at my face and told me I had rosacea and gave me a prescription for that, so I am pretty satisfied.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I have been watching through the Marvel movies in order with my kids. We are on Capt. America- The First Avenger. We LOVE LOTR!

We did that last summer. We had so much fun!!

• Like 3