Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm back from the doctor (and the science center and getting boxes for mom and eating lunch).   First they did a test where they used little electrical shocks and sensors.   A couple of them made my fingers twitch on their own, so that was weird.  The little needles mostly didn't hurt.  Two places on each arm felt like getting a shot. 

Good news, evidently all my nerves are working the way they are supposed to.  Signals are being transmitted correctly and quickly.    She did recommend getting a carpel tunnel brace to wear at night to help with the numbness I sometimes get.  

I go back to the orthopedic doctor a week from Monday.  I'm not sure what next steps are now that it's not a nerve problem. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Chester ate his breakfast this morning.  Such a big boy, lol.

Now he is being a whiny-butt because his favorite tennis ball (which is identical to the other 3 tennis balls in the vicinity) is too far under the chair for him to reach and he wants me to go get it for him.  So he is just lying on the floor whimpering pathetically at it. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, Carolina Wren said:

Hi! We coasted. In accordance with local meteorological law (apparently), it started raining when we got back into our own county and was pouring by the time we had to get everything in from the car. But we had a good time.

Oh, I went there years ago when my sister lived in NC!  So cool!

• Like 1

Good morning!

Scout camp was a big success and everyone is excited to go back next year.  Dd14 says she wants to be on staff next summer.  I am itchy despite the bug spray I put on.

I brought dd18 to work and now need to get started on Some Things.  More packing of dd22's stuff and I might start making a list of freezer dinners to make for the fall.

Coffee!

It's a Saturday Coffee Booyah!

COFFEE!!

And this is the best Booya/h in the whole world because it is a COFFEE Booya/h!! (Imagine, if you will, yours truly planting a flag that says "Booya/h" in big, bold letters and a cup of COFFEE under it! on the Rocky summit of.... The tall craggy mountain in the middle of the ITT Island, where we have our lodge. This lodge is in the middle of a forest with hardwood floors and throw rugs and huge stone fireplaces and wrap around porches with comfy Adirondack chairs. This is what I'm talking about.) (I think my imagination is getting the better of me).  

KrissiK Documentation of the ITT Flag 5/1/2017

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D (is not ready yet because I got up earlier than anticipated)

Saturday!!

Hot!!☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

I guess I will do housework today and get the groceries. I will go to Savemart and not the Afsa. I just don’t feel like torturing myself in that way today.

Had a good trip to the mountains to pick up middle DD from camp yesterday. She had a really good time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Morning.  I slept in a little bit today.  Or at least stayed in bed even if I wasn't sleeping.  

I'm trying to decide if I need to set up a secondary "desk" (height adjustable table) in the living room for me to work at.  I have an actual desk with a table next to it in our dining nook (that we've never eaten in) but with the work from home stuff the past year, dh kind of took it over.   He has an extra monitor and keyboard and puts mail down and papers and other stuff.  So whenever I want to use it, I have to spend time cleaning up first.    I do have a giant whiteboard there and stacks of books for classes or homeschooling that I need to use for planning.   But I could move those.  I have a set of cubes next to where I would put my secondary desk that I could put those books I need frequently on.   And maybe leave the giant whiteboard and longer term resources where they are since I can still grab things from there.   

I'm just not sure it won't become another place to dump things.   And it will block our history timelines, although I don't plan to do much with those for the summer at least, which is when I need a good desk I can sit down at a moments notice and get some work done.   

decisions...decisions...decisions....

• Like 5

Looks like we aren't going to get the new bigger space for the science center.  We knew they had someone interested before us and it looks like that person is ready to sign a lease.   It may be for the best.  We're still going to expand our class offerings and divide up our big classroom.  Dh thinks we should actually look into buying our own space rather than paying rent.   I'd love a space with a nice outdoor area, like a house that is zoned commercial with a yard.   

We are getting the extra storage area from our current landlord.  They finally came back with a proper addendum without any extra crap on it.  Now they just have to change the date to something that isn't three weeks in the past and we can sign it.  

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, Slache said:

@Wheres Toto How are you? DD?

I'm about the same.  Can't seem to shake the last remnants of this cold.   It's not bad, just that vague ugh feeling and getting tired quicker than usual.  It's been a week for me today so I feel like it's getting a bit ridiculous.  

Dd is still coughing like she's hacking up a lung, but she's not puking anymore and is actually fairly energetic (although she was never particularly lethargic or fatigued).  She still sounds really really hoarse and says her throat still hurts, just not as bad.   She had Covid, strep and flu tests since we had to take her to urgent care and all were negative.  

Thank you for asking.  🙂 

• Like 5

Rusty is positive for the rabbit brain parasite.  So they tell me to keep the bunnies separated and get a $230 blood test on Aria to see if she has it too.  I am 90% sure that she has it too because they were together before and when Rusty first showed symptoms and despite trying to separate them, she's managed to get through the gate to be with him.  Plus - 70% of rabbits carry it anyway. . .  so there is a big chance that she would have it even without exposure to him.  So am I a bad person to refuse the bloodtest?  I mean - Rusty is on anti- parasitics but they told me that it's just to "knock it back down" - that it will never eradicate them and Aria (who is a much younger bunny) shows no symptoms and probably won't until she's old like Rusty is now.  So if they do the blood test and she has it, would they even give her the meds too if she's not even showing symptoms? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

54 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Rusty is positive for the rabbit brain parasite.  So they tell me to keep the bunnies separated and get a $230 blood test on Aria to see if she has it too.  I am 90% sure that she has it too because they were together before and when Rusty first showed symptoms and despite trying to separate them, she's managed to get through the gate to be with him.  Plus - 70% of rabbits carry it anyway. . .  so there is a big chance that she would have it even without exposure to him.  So am I a bad person to refuse the bloodtest?  I mean - Rusty is on anti- parasitics but they told me that it's just to "knock it back down" - that it will never eradicate them and Aria (who is a much younger bunny) shows no symptoms and probably won't until she's old like Rusty is now.  So if they do the blood test and she has it, would they even give her the meds too if she's not even showing symptoms? 

If "symptoms" seems to be the catalyst for medicating, then I'd wait until she starts showing symptoms, if that ever happens.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

So…. I went to the Afsa after all. Just because I didn’t think I had enough misery in my life.

Good thing I have been wasting away the evening learning how to play the blues on ukulele.

Baby dd has been shedding tears because she misses camp so much.  I told her it is an amazing gift to have had something so wonderful - in the words of Pooh, "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."  And also, this is why we should learn to play the blues.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I’ve been sucked in to a John Grisham novel all afternoon. It’s really too hot to do anything else. Now I want to move to a small island off the coast of Florida and become a writer.

This is a good plan!  Except we have to pick an island where there are no hurricanes.  We might want to try off the coast of Belize.  I will bring a pencil and paper, but can't promise to ever write anything except ukulele chords.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

This is a good plan!  Except we have to pick an island where there are no hurricanes.  We might want to try off the coast of Belize.  I will bring a pencil and paper, but can't promise to ever write anything except ukulele chords.

That sounds great. We can make it a haven for writers and musicians and all sorts of unsavory characters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2021 at 8:57 AM, KrissiK said:

You know, the heat wouldn’t be THAT bad if all the media wouldn’t be making such a big deal. The media acts like this is the end of the world. There are heat advisories and watches on my phone and everywhere else. Around here, we are used to this. People who do outdoor work generally start work at 5:00am and work their 8 hours and are done when the heat starts getting bad. That’s what the shop people do at DH’s job. Those of us indoors just hunker down, close everything up and deal with it. Though there is always the threat of rolling black outs because of the power grid, which can’t handle the heat,  but will be able to handle the transition to all electric cars as our governor plans in the next couple of years.🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Dh has started going into work at around 6:30-7am for the same reason. It's hitting in the high 90s - 100s and he's been moving dirt (shovel, not machine) this past week.

On 7/9/2021 at 12:56 AM, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have been dutifully keeping the bunnies separated - Aria in the cage and Rusty in the adjoining play yard.  I went into  their room tonight and Aria has squeezed herself through the small hole by the door to the cage and rejoined her beloved Rusty.  True love found a way.

Then later when I fed them, Rusty pulled his bowl into the cage so that I wouldn't get some stupid idea to lock him out of the cage again.

I have decided to let them be.  For one thing, Aria had ample time to be exposed to Rusty prior to this plus 70% of rabbits are supposed to have this parasite hanging around dormant anyway. 

I feel like I missed a post somewhere, but then read on and saw the parasite post. I am not finding rabbits very endearing.

On 7/9/2021 at 8:56 AM, Junie said:

Dd16 and I survived Chemistry (barely).  Mostly I just told her I don't understand it and let's move on.  Not the best method (and truthfully not even a good one), but it's all I've got for today.

After Dancer spent over a calendar year trying to do a regular chemistry course and only getting through half the book, I called it a day, gave her credit, and moved her into kitchen chemistry. It was more her speed. I never did chemistry in school. I did biology, and didn't need another science.

On 7/9/2021 at 8:36 AM, Susan in TN said:

I feel that I can understand and commiserate just a little with the characters in Lonesome Dove as they struggle with dust in the Southwest.  When we were in backpacking in New Mexico, one of the best parts of the day was right after dinner when we could brush our teeth.  All that dry, dusty air made us feel like our mouths were coated in mud by mid-morning.  I can't imagine having to follow behind a couple thousand dust-kicking cattle.

I've...not ever had that mouth feeling. Maybe breath through your nose instead of your mouth...??? 🤣

13 hours ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

The day is already a success!!  I detangled dd10's hair. 🙂

Now to fight the Clutter Monster...

I have most of my daughter's hair detangled. What is it with 10yo's and tangled hair???

• Like 5

In other news, I'm still working on the copywork coloring book in Spanish - Psalm 23. My deadline was to have it done today, but I still have 4 pages to do - how-to, scripture discussion with questions, and two picture vocabulary pages. I'm working on the discussion page now. This has turned into more than just a copywork coloring book...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I mopped the floor and mostly cleaned up the kitchen. Baby got a new Raddish Kids box and made shrimp tacos and Key Lime Tartlets for dinner. Very very yummy. Very messy kitchen. I know, I know, I should make her clean it up, but it was such a disaster and I just didn’t want to dampen her enthusiasm.

• Like 4

Long story short, dd learned to dive off the board a week ago, successfully (barely) completed 4 out of 5 dives in a meet Wednesday, so now gets to dive today in our final conference meet. Fingers crossed she only fails one dive. Then it’s on to three solid days of swimming, victory party and banquet - the annual signal that summer is almost over. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Morning. I am extra tired today, and I'm blaming it on a week of unremitting sunshine. There will be no lake or river trip this week. I have to try to save myself for next week. I love to be outside because it helps me creatively, but at this time of year, I pay for that creative rejuvenation with a solid slide into summer-related depression.

Thankful for some cloud cover today.

Also, I need to go check the snake eggs out in my garden. They were wiggling when I picked them up yesterday and quite heavy. Maybe will hatch soon.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Long story short, dd learned to dive off the board a week ago, successfully (barely) completed 4 out of 5 dives in a meet Wednesday, so now gets to dive today in our final conference meet. Fingers crossed she only fails one dive. Then it’s on to three solid days of swimming, victory party and banquet - the annual signal that summer is almost over. 

Summer can't be almost over, it's only just begun!  You're going to make me panic about all the things I haven't gotten done. 

Are you in one of those ridiculous places were schools go back in August?   Summer around here goes through Labor Day.   But doesn't generally start until mid-June.  

If summer is Memorial Day to Labor Day, we're just about half-way through right?  It's too early to do the math.

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 5

Happy Sunday.   Dh is coming home from his moms today so I'll probably do some work at home, including setting up my secondary desk (yes, I've decided that's a good idea, maybe I'll actually get some s*** done), and head over to the science center later after lunch.  

I'm still congested but it's starting to feel more like allergies now.  I don't have the burning feeling I get when I'm sick so that's good.   Need to start taking my allergy meds again and see if that helps.   I switched to Dayquil while sick.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

👋

Hey friend!

11 hours ago, Renai said:

I've...not ever had that mouth feeling. Maybe breath through your nose instead of your mouth...??? 🤣

😂 Yep!  Except we were also going up mountains in much higher altitude than we were acclimated to, so it was tough to only breathe through your nose. And then there was also talking and singing going on while kicking up dirt...

11 hours ago, Renai said:

In other news, I'm still working on the copywork coloring book in Spanish - Psalm 23. My deadline was to have it done today, but I still have 4 pages to do - how-to, scripture discussion with questions, and two picture vocabulary pages. I'm working on the discussion page now. This has turned into more than just a copywork coloring book...

It's going to be awesome.

10 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I mopped the floor and mostly cleaned up the kitchen. Baby got a new Raddish Kids box and made shrimp tacos and Key Lime Tartlets for dinner. Very very yummy. Very messy kitchen. I know, I know, I should make her clean it up, but it was such a disaster and I just didn’t want to dampen her enthusiasm.

Around here, when someone makes a special meal, Other People (who are NOT me) have to clean up.

11 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Our schools start Aug 10.

It's something like that here, too.  Tutorial starts on the 12th.  Dd22 comes home on the 2nd and we have less than a week to get her moved into her apartment before she starts her new job.  Dh will be out of town for most of that week.  Svengo.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Good morning!

I was up half the night itching.  So much itching.  I have found many many little things that look like minuscule ticks stuck on me.  I'm assuming they are little ticks.  They look exactly like ticks and stick on my skin like a tick.  So that's itchy, plus what is probably chigger bites.  I should probably take some Benadryl.  

Everyone else is at church.  My Notgrass box came last night, so I want to look through that today.  Pup is going to the "Salon" for a bath and nail trim.  

Coffee!

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Sunday!!

Church!!

Hot!!🔥🔥☀️🔥🔥☀️☀️🔥☀️☀️🔥🔥☀️

DD’s school starts August 11. Our charter starts August 16, though I am supposed to be on duty August 2 and we start having Professional Development days. Technically we have summer vacation in July (for teachers) and have to just report in 5 days (any 5 days) to answer emails and approve orders, but I check in every day.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

Summer can't be almost over, it's only just begun!  You're going to make me panic about all the things I haven't gotten done. 

Are you in one of those ridiculous places were schools go back in August?   Summer around here goes through Labor Day.   But doesn't generally start until mid-June.  

If summer is Memorial Day to Labor Day, we're just about half-way through right?  It's too early to do the math.

Our schools usually start the middle of August and go through around the 20th or so of May. This year, they are starting August 6, because 2020 messed them up...

• Like 3

My phone let me back in and I come back to snake eggs?! No. If I found snake eggs, I would not be watching them. They'd be sling-shotted as far away as humanly possible. I scared of snakes, Critter. Has nothing at all to do with having a boa constrictor wrap around my neck and squeeze Jungle Book style once upon a time. Wait, yes it does. And where's Mama Snake, btw? THAT is the million dollar question. I'm not against snakes, I respect them. I just prefer to keep them at a safe and greeeeaaaaat distance.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 6