Menu

Ignore this thread!

Warning: EdPo!  Avert yer Eyeballs!

I have given about 15 seconds of thought as to when we will start the new school year.  Probably the second week of August, though ds16 will have recently gotten back from the BSA Sea Base trip (sailing through the Florida Keys) and we'll be just back from moving dd22 into her apartment.  But we really do need to get started so the year doesn't drag on too late in the spring.  I should start making the lesson calendar for the year.  And chore schedule.  I'm down to three kids on chores.  Svengo.  Might have to put myself on there.

As you were.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, KrissiK said:

When I try a new recipe I follow it exactly the first time, then I make changes if necessary any subsequent times.  That’s the thing about Asian recipes, you need one Tbs. of whatever it is and it always comes in a jar with many Tbs in it.the only thing I use on a regular basis is sweet chili sauce for making Pork Bahn Mi. But, then again, all those ingredients may sound similar,but they are not interchangeable because I got some other type of chili sauce and it DID NOT work for Pork Bahn Mi and now I got that sitting in my fridge, too. Right by the oyster sauce.

#cantthrowoutgoodfood

We need to start a "Fancy Ingredient Exchange Program".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. One of my brothers flew out to see Mom96 and she’s being recalcitrant. But my impression is that she’s recalcitrant about everything now. Getting really old isn’t for sissies. 

I need a dictionary for this. I'm much stronger in phonics than in vocabulary and I'm trying to quit coffee which makes me a little slower in comprehension, too! 😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Brown rice is just white rice with the germ attached. (Like the difference between white flour and whole wheat flour). 

I know, but I thought he was allergic to it.  Like he is allergic to 100% whole wheat, but not white wheat.  He has weird allergies/food sensitivities.  Like beer and raw carrots.  Maybe he had an allergic reaction to brown rice once but grew out of it.

Weird Allergy Booyah?

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz

It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too

Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on

with record-setting length and fun

It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity

and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...

And the place where one finds special friends,

the kind that have hearts that are strong and true

Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends

Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps

But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps.

I had no idea when I entered in

That what seems a little nuts might actually save me

From going insane on days that are crazy 🤗

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

True.  My sister said that another resident on my mom's floor was quite violent the other day.   (This is technically assisted living but some need a lot more assistance than others.) 

True.  When dd22 was working at the nursing home last summer she got punched in the face by an angry resident.  It happens with the elderly.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 7/13/2021 at 1:26 PM, Susan in TN said:

Many wishes for speedy bunny recovery and continued good health!

It rained.  I prolly should have planted some vegetables this year but I didn't.  The mint and some flowers that I planted last year are doing pretty well.  I just didn't have it in me to plant things this spring.  Lynette has some healthy leaves again (after losing them all over the winter) but I have given up on ever expecting a lemon out of her.  

Poor Lynette! Mr. Snicket has lots of lemons.  And strangely some new flowers on one branch.  It’s the middle of July! Weird. 

I did resort to treatments this year: https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-Liquid-Copper-Fungicide/dp/B0052NL4FK/ref=asc_df_B0052NL4FK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193150648923&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2811509804299085357&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012114&hvtargid=pla-375566638957&psc=1 and https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fertilome-400244-8-oz-Triple-Action-Plus-Concentrate/146961546?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2419

Last year we got nothing. This year - there has to be 100+ lemons out there.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I think it probably smells like lemon blossoms in heaven.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Dd12 and I have been watching the first season of Psych.  It's helping her recover from post-camp grief and loneliness from her siblings being away for the week.

I started rewatching Psych a couple months ago and ds walked out while I was watching.  He's now watching it too but we don't watch together.   He watches late at night when he gets kicked off computers.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I liked Psych.  Until the last season - then I didn't like it as well. 

We're both somewhere in Season 6 (he managed to get ahead of me) and I'm not sure I'm going to finish.  I remember the last season or two not being the same tone and not liking them as much.    I've also started watching the new Leverage, Burn Notice (also a repeat) and Highlander (also a repeat).    I'm so busy and crazy that I'm mostly finding comfort in familiar things and have no interest in watching something new that I have to pay a lot of attention to.  

• Like 3

More camp today but just two days left and I have another week off.  Now that everyone is over the lovely cold we all had (mostly, still some lingering coughs), I have to buckle down and get work done on classes for the fall, as well as some other administrative stuff to get ready for September.  Oh yeah, and school planning.  

Thankfully the weather has been super crappy with rain and thunderstorms every day so I haven't missed going to the lake.   

Next week we all go to the eye doctor and I have the follow up with the orthopedic about my elbows.  

• Like 6

Morning. Not awake quite yet, though, and not feeling very good today. I might possibly try to take a nap later today, or maybe not.

On the subject of lemon trees, both my little Meyer's lemons have lemons. However, I had to hand pollinate them all. I think, not having a grove of them, they just don't attract pollinators. 

• Like 6

Good morning!

I didn't have to take any Benadryl last night - the itchies are finally settling down.  I dreamed that we had a whole yard full of old furniture and toddler toys that we needed to get rid of.  There was so much that we were putting some things on our neighbor's driveway and also lining the street.  Probably should have pulled a Grandma Slachey and buried it.

I need to go to Aldi.  We've been out of milk for 2 days now, though we still have almond milk and half & half.  

Coffee!

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday Eve!!

It’s supposed to be below 100 degrees today!! Hallelujah!!

Our lemon tree is doing well. It’s got a really good set. We have another citrus right next to it, so I don’t know if that helps with pollination. Now, our avocado tree is another story.  Nothing set on at all this year. 😢

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday Eve!!

It’s supposed to be below 100 degrees today!! Hallelujah!!

Our lemon tree is doing well. It’s got a really good set. We have another citrus right next to it, so I don’t know if that helps with pollination. Now, our avocado tree is another story.  Nothing set on at all this year. 😢

I suspect that because Lynette loses all her leaves every winter,p there's just not enough time for her to develop fruit.  I've tried bringing her inside and leaving her outside with a warming pad in a tent, but she still gets sulky.  I think this winter I will just leave her on the front porch where she'll be protected from "weather" but still get some sunshine.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I suspect that because Lynette loses all her leaves every winter,p there's just not enough time for her to develop fruit.  I've tried bringing her inside and leaving her outside with a warming pad in a tent, but she still gets sulky.  I think this winter I will just leave her on the front porch where she'll be protected from "weather" but still get some sunshine.

I thought citrus trees were evergreen. I have never seen a citrus tree lose it’s leaves. Hmmmm. Now that rearranges all my presuppositions.

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I thought citrus trees were evergreen. I have never seen a citrus tree lose it’s leaves. Hmmmm. Now that rearranges all my presuppositions.

Yep.  Every single leaf falls off by the end of winter.  Then they start growing back in late spring.  You probably haven't seen it because you live in an area where citrus is supposed to grow.  I don't think it's supposed to thrive in my area.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

The new update it is flashing us all back to the past. It's like we're all waving, "Hey! How are ya?" I just got a newbie award for 2009, you are not alone. 😄

Same, and a "one year in" badge. How strange...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Slache said:

How old should a child be before changing a baby's diaper?

WHY DO I HAVE A HAND?

Wild applause?

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

The new update it is flashing us all back to the past. It's like we're all waving, "Hey! How are ya?" I just got a newbie award for 2009, you are not alone. 😄

Aha!

They need to stop changing things.

Change is hard.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I am now "Very popular".

Duh.

48 minutes ago, Renai said:

Same, and a "one year in" badge. How strange...

46 minutes ago, Renai said:

I've also got 1st post, 10th post, and 500th post badges just now. 😂

Congratulations! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4