Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

Susan, I should probably read Lonesome Dove sometime. I never have. However, I have a part in one of my books where one of the insect characters works for a theater. He had to hide the main character, a fairy, in a closet full of clematis puffs, which my main character finds out he's allergic to. So when he finally gets to come out, sneezing, he asks the theater guy why they keep a closet of clematis puffs. The theater bug says they were "tumbleseeds from a production of Loathesome Dove".

I love it!

• Like 1

So Rusty had a 10:15 PM vet appointment last night.  (This vet is crazy busy and it was the only time they had for a follow up appointment.)  I didn't get home until after midnight because as par for the course for this vet I was waiting for an hour and a half before they were done.  (One time I was waiting for six hours there!  That was when I understood why they had a sign up telling people not to resort to violence. . . )

Anyway. . Rusty is doing good.  His heart meds have already made his heart sound a lot better. 

The vet said that Aria is fine being with Rusty.  He's probably had the parasite for years since I don't put them outside so Aria has been exposed for years already.  Aria might show symptoms when she gets older and her immune system gets weaker.

My husband was happy that I paid only the regular appointment fee and not the expensive emergency visit fee.  And I don't have to get more anti-parasitics because I have the right amount for a full course of treatment already.  The vet is going to check around to see if there are cheaper mail order pharmacies for his heart meds.  (And she noted that he doesn't like the taste of one of them so perhaps we can get a different flavor.)

Thus ends the bunny report. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Did anyone actually watch the rice video? Don't go back and do it now, I don't care, I just wondered what y'all thought. Imma make it.

Ok. So. THE DRAMA OF THE DAY! My husband's almost ex-girlfriend is on trial for murdering her husband. They almost dated for a year but he said she was too unstable. I am the emotionally stable one! This is new for me! She has 4 kids. So sad.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Many wishes for speedy bunny recovery and continued good health!

It rained.  I prolly should have planted some vegetables this year but I didn't.  The mint and some flowers that I planted last year are doing pretty well.  I just didn't have it in me to plant things this spring.  Lynette has some healthy leaves again (after losing them all over the winter) but I have given up on ever expecting a lemon out of her.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Slache said:

Did anyone actually watch the rice video? Don't go back and do it now, I don't care, I just wondered what y'all thought. Imma make it.

Ok. So. THE DRAMA OF THE DAY! My husband's almost ex-girlfriend is on trial for murdering her husband. They almost dated for a year but he said she was too unstable. I am the emotionally stable one! This is new for me! She has 4 kids. So sad.

I just now watched it.  It looks tasty.  That carrot was gigantic.  I wonder what kind of sausage that was?  I'll need to get oyster sauce and light soy sauce.  What kind of rice did she use?  

He lucked out on that one!  Poor kids.

6 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I just now watched it.  It looks tasty.  That carrot was gigantic.  I wonder what kind of sausage that was?  I'll need to get oyster sauce and light soy sauce.  What kind of rice did she use?  

You could just use 1.5 the soy sauce. I will use regular long grain white.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Slache said:

I watched the rice video.  It looks yummy. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

It was Chinese sausage.  I don't know the Chinese name.

Short grain rice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It was Chinese sausage.  I don't know the Chinese name.

What would you buy? What is your opinion on my oyster sauce comment?

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

Long grain rice is a sacrilege!  Svengo! 

Oh. I thought that was just for short people. I can buy that.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Slache said:

What would you buy? What is your opinion on my oyster sauce comment?

Oh. I thought that was just for short people. I can buy that.

We were typing at the same time so I think that I answered the "what would you buy" question above.

Yes, you can do more soy instead of oyster sauce.  But oyster sauce is thicker and heavier and sweeter so it does add to the flavor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

We were typing at the same time so I think that I answered the "what would you buy" question above.

Yes, you can do more soy instead of oyster sauce.  But oyster sauce is thicker and heavier and sweeter so it does add to the flavor. 

I use coconut aminos, so I need to add to it anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

Is short grain also called sticky rice? I have that.

This is where it gets complicated.  Short grain rice is sticky.  But technically there is a subset of short grain rice that is called "sticky rice".  But you can use it interchangeably, I think.  (People who are even more rice snobby than I am might disagree though!) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would use sticky rice before I used long grain rice.  Long grain rice is just a whole different texture and I don't think that it would be right for that recipe. 

I agree, I just couldn't tell what I was looking at in the video.

• Like 3

Lots to read today and I made it back! 

@Slache Oldest read Where the Red Fern Grows this past schoolyear and cried. Then he got mad and said we should just "extinct all the mountain lions!" Later, he decided Summer of the Monkeys by the same author is a much better book. Especially the part where the monkey steals the boy's pants. 🤣

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Lots to read today and I made it back! 

@Slache Oldest read Where the Red Fern Grows this past schoolyear and cried. Then he got mad and said we should just "extinct all the mountain lions!" Later, he decided Summer of the Monkeys by the same author is a much better book. Especially the part where the monkey steals the boy's pants. 🤣

I have not read the monkey book. I didn't cry at the end, but I was scarred by the boy. Also by the baby in The Giver.

• Like 3

I told my mom I'm giving away some of the baby stuff Newbie no longer needs. Things like the infant carseat cover and newborn insert thing, wipes warmer, teething toys, bibs, ect. My mom said, "Oh no. Please don't. Last time you did, you got pregnant again!"  😂

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I told my mom I'm giving away some of the baby stuff Newbie no longer needs. Things like the infant carseat cover and newborn insert thing, wipes warmer, teething toys, bibs, ect. My mom said, "Oh no. Please don't. Last time you did, you got pregnant again!"  😂

That's how I got pregnant!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

If you ever read Lonesome Dove, just skip chapter 58.  You'll understand what happened, but there's no need to put yourself through that.

I read it 30 years ago and I'm pretty sure I know exactly what chapter you are referring to.

• Like 1

I don't think I made it on this morning but I don't remember.  Another camp week so the days are all blurring together.  And I decided that it would be a good idea to start meeting up with dd for yoga in the mornings again even though I have camp all day.   Let's just say I'm sleeping really well at night.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

Tuesday!!

Oldest DD has a dentist appt. today. Somehow she got dropped and never rescheduled after the plague and I think it’s been well over a year since she’s been in.🙄 And of course being the hypochondriac in the family, she informs me she thinks she has at least 20 cavities.

I think it's supposed to be closer to 100 degrees than 110 today. Get out the sweaters and hot chocolate.

It was 104 here yesterday.

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

((Junie))

Slashie, I remember reading Where the Red Fern Grows aloud to my fifth grade class years ago. I had actually never read it before, but it was on the reading list, so I read it aloud. I literally started crying, right there in the middle of the class, and then the kids started crying and we had this big sob-fest right then and there. It was awful. I love that book. It is so beautifully written and the story is so wonderful, but it is so awful at the same time, I just don’t want to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I don't remember ever reading that book. I've only cried, well, choked, while reading one book - Oh, the Places You'll Go. I was reading it for the very first time when Dancer was young(er).

5 hours ago, Slache said:

I did. So, um, is oyster sauce readily available???

5 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Many wishes for speedy bunny recovery and continued good health!

It rained.  I prolly should have planted some vegetables this year but I didn't.  The mint and some flowers that I planted last year are doing pretty well.  I just didn't have it in me to plant things this spring.  Lynette has some healthy leaves again (after losing them all over the winter) but I have given up on ever expecting a lemon out of her.  

We didn't plant veggies because we had to move. Dh did have wildflowers in pots though, and we took those to the friend who also is housing our dogs. We also took our compost there! Weird, huh? But, a couple of squash are growing in there, so it's all good!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would use sticky rice before I used long grain rice.  Long grain rice is just a whole different texture and I don't think that it would be right for that recipe. 

I used arborio for the mushroom risotto - will that work?  It's short.

After months of patience the dog has decided she and the cat are friends whether the cat likes it or not. She has gone from sitting next to him hopping and pleading to full on pinning him an dragging him around and he is NOT amused. We all watched it finally happen, she saw him walking by in his smug way, she did a full pounce and pushed him across the floor like a mop. The look on his face was absolutely priceless.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning.  Happy Wednesday.   

When you guys talk about cooking, it sounds Greek to me.  Short rice, long rice, sticky rice, italian rice.  I never knew there were so many kinds of rice.   I make brown rice.   In a pouch.  In the microwave.  

To be fair, dh does make different kinds of rice.  But I don't pay a lot of attention to what he cooks.  I just eat it.   I think he mostly makes basmati or jasmine or regular brown rice or some other kind we have in a big canvas bag. 

• Like 7

Almost half-way through the week.  This one is going well but my afternoon group is a rough one.  Despite only being 6 of them, it's a crazier bunch than the 14 I have in the morning.  I have an extra adult in the morning but not in the afternoon which is probably part of the issue.  

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I heard that. 

Here I can get oyster sauce at the locsl grocery store. But we have a big Asian population here. 

I have some in my fridge. I used it once in a recipe. You can have the rest. I don’t remember when I got it. Does oyster sauce go bad?.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, KrissiK said:

I have some in my fridge. I used it once in a recipe. You can have the rest. I don’t remember when I got it. Does oyster sauce go bad?.

This is my problem.  I use a fancy ingredient once and then a couple years later throw the rest out.

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Humph Day!!!

It’s still hot. Not as hot, but hot nonetheless and I just don’t feel like doing anything. The house is a mess and I just sit around watching Chesapeake Shores,  I really should try to get caught up in my reading. I did finish a couple books over the weekend and sent them to my IRL BFF.

• Like 3

Just now, Susan in TN said:

This is my problem.  I use a fancy ingredient once and then a couple years later throw the rest out.

Yes. I always look up substitutes, and if we love the dish I buy the thing. 

4 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Apparently it lasts for 2 years which is a little unsettling.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

Yes. I always look up substitutes, and if we love the dish I buy the thing. 

Apparently it lasts for 2 years which is a little unsettling.

When I try a new recipe I follow it exactly the first time, then I make changes if necessary any subsequent times.  That’s the thing about Asian recipes, you need one Tbs. of whatever it is and it always comes in a jar with many Tbs in it.the only thing I use on a regular basis is sweet chili sauce for making Pork Bahn Mi. But, then again, all those ingredients may sound similar,but they are not interchangeable because I got some other type of chili sauce and it DID NOT work for Pork Bahn Mi and now I got that sitting in my fridge, too. Right by the oyster sauce.

#cantthrowoutgoodfood

• Like 2
  • Haha 4