• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Jean in Newcastle

• Susan in TN

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

The house is as clean as it's going to get.  I should eat a snack and take a shower.  

Yay for grocery shopping with baby!

More yay for giving kids to Grandma's!  

Yay for FOUR errands!

And Yay for bread machines and potatoes and freezer cooking and 5 toilets (We have 5 also, though not well thought out.  half bath in the basement - not used much.  Half bath on the first floor is the only first floor toilet - this was very bad planning.  Three full baths upstairs - two were original to the house and one was an addition.  Seven people, so lots of usage in the three full baths.)

• Like 3

On the way to the dollar tree, dd17 said she cut her finger on a doorknob and it reminded her of the cut she got on her finger from the toothpaste cap.  Lol.  What is with your skin, child?!?

I slept for 2 hours after breakfast and feel mostly human again.  On my second coffee.  I took some kids to the dollar tree to buy presents for dd13, and then dh and I went to early primary voting.  Voting was pretty much the same as usual except they gave everyone a stylus pen to sign the paper and do the touch screen.  I was sorely tempted to add Jean as a write-in candidate for everything.

Good news on the puppy front - dd13 taught him to go down the stairs!  So now we don't have to carry him outside to go potty!  He gets really enthusiastic on the second-to-last step and does a giant leap and summersault. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would be super excited by a dryer that dried all the towels in a single go!  I have to do mine two cycles and always forget. 

also, didn’t know Elizabeth Foss did videos!

• Like 3

Well, y’all inspired me so I upped my game and put a little sidesalad with a mini pepper on the paper plate next to the slice of frozen pizza my kids had for lunch...

👀

Healthier meal planning and more cooking is next on my list. After figuring out how to juggle homeschooling high school and a baby. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
3 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

LOCK THE DOOR!!! 

It's not a common problem. It just started storming and he was probably befuddled. Mary did it once. I don't think she's grown since.

• Like 1

Foss and Andreola take me back to the days when Lego Lass was a baby and I thought I would have the perfect CM homeschoolcomplete with adorably dressed well-behaved children sketching in their nature journals...ah....

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
8 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Stuff like that just makes me paranoid since that cop in Dallas. Or rather, more paranoid because that would totally freak me out to begin with. 

Ah. No. It's a thing with apartment living. I think it's being preoccupied and hitting the wrong floor. At least that's been my experience. But I'm 35 and that was the 3rd time, so it's not really a concern.

Creepy neighbor Booya!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

We have had a good amount of rain in the past 2 days.  About 6 inches.  The pumpkins are happy.

It seems that I am the only person in the house really not effected much emotionally when puppy whines and complains.  I suspect raising 6 kids makes me somewhat immune to the noise. 😄

Goodnight!

• Like 4

Good morning!

Today is dd's 14th's birthday!  We are going to the zoo this morning (they extended everyone's membership an extra 4 months) and a drive-in movie tonight - they are playing The Princess Bride.  🥰

At 5am I was outside with puppy playing frisbee.  🙄 I'd already spent an hour sitting outside his crate to keep him from waking everyone in the house and finally gave up and took him out to potty.  And play. At least he has stopped attacking Lynette.  (Lynette is my finicky dwarf lemon tree.)

Coffee!

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Today is dd's 14th's birthday!  We are going to the zoo this morning (they extended everyone's membership an extra 4 months) and a drive-in movie tonight - they are playing The Princess Bride.  🥰

At 5am I was outside with puppy playing frisbee.  🙄 I'd already spent an hour sitting outside his crate to keep him from waking everyone in the house and finally gave up and took him out to potty.  And play. At least he has stopped attacking Lynette.  (Lynette is my finicky dwarf lemon tree.)

Coffee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhxttDEv_I8

• Thanks 1

Drinking coffee now.

Edpo

School order was supposed to arrive Monday, but is still in transit. I was okay with a few days but now I’m annoyed.  I think the only thing I need for Monday is the Maps.  I know it’s not the end of the world but still.

I also realized yesterday I double checked the history books I’d need but forgot to check Chem and there was a book I didn’t have and neither did the library (and that option would not be timely) but it looks like Hoopla has it, so DS is just going to have to read it that way.  Saved!  

• Like 5

Anyone here wash their driveway?  Apparently it’s a thing down here.  I can’t recall ever seeing someone wash their driveway up north growing up.  It’s just one of those things where you go, oh, okay, that’s a thing.  What our poor neighbors have had to endure living next to us and our dirty driveway.  Sigh.  Poor things.  

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
4 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Anyone here wash their driveway?  Apparently it’s a thing down here.  I can’t recall ever seeing someone wash their driveway up north growing up.  It’s just one of those things where you go, oh, okay, that’s a thing.  What our poor neighbors have had to endure living next to us and our dirty driveway.  Sigh.  Poor things.  

One of our neighbors does, but their house looks like it could be on the cover of House Beautiful, so there's that.

These neighbors have no children and love doing yard work.  They will often come mow our yard after they finish their own.  (Not in a mean or passive-aggressive way, but in a "we know you're busy, we know you don't have a riding mower, we have one, it will only take a few minutes, and we don't mind" kind of way.)

• Like 4

We have a gravel driveway so no washing the driveway.

Dh is down at his moms. She was sounding depressed on the phone so he headed down early.    Slept like crap because I had to get up with the dog but had to get up early to work out with dd. 

Today I'm going to work on setting up school for next week and do some work on classes. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
15 minutes ago, ikslo said:

We’re more of a ,”hey neighbor, your goats escaped and are climbing on the broken down car in my yard,” kinda neighborhood. Which is good because I totally suck at yardwork. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!

For some reason I wonder up at 5:00am and couldn’t go back go sleep. But that’s ok. I got 3 batches of lemon bars baked by 7:30. I am supposed to bring lemon bars to my niece’s wedding this afternoon,  DH and I have to run to the Afsa and then we leave for the wedding by 3:00. It’s supposed to be 103 today and the wedding is outside because people can’t be in churches. Well, the bride and groom are getting married in the vestibule, but all the guests are sitting out in the courtyard.

• Like 5
58 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Imma need to see a before and after.    🤯    🤪

• Haha 4
19 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning lovelies!

HAPPY NIRTHDAY, SUSAN'S DD!!!!

I finally grocery shopped. The insurance ridiculousness is still ongoing, but will have to wait for business hours next week. 

The house is being inspected today! Oh, and I need to call the grocery store for boxes so they don't throw them away. I'm also going to start sorting through our stuff and getting rid of what we don't need. I love getting rid of stuff, so it's going to be a good day. ☺️

Yay for home inspections! This thing is moving right along.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Another Lynn said:

Imma need to see a before and after.    🤯    🤪

Well, my driveway does look dirtier than our neighbors’.  I think it’s because they are light concrete down here rather than the macadam up north?  That must be it.  Anyway, DH was wanting to switch to pavers since the driveway is cracked and needs repairing, but we don’t have the extra cash right now for that.  So in the meantime, we will wash the driveway. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ikslo said:

Everyone uses a leaf blower on their driveways here. So do we. Washing uses water and we are always in a drought.

• Like 3

We had a good time at our friends’ house last night. Good discussions with the ladies. I think I offended some people when I said I can’t stand Louisa May Alcott because of her incessant moralizing.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Back from the Afsa. That place is like %#$~§#$ Communist Russia. Shelves are empty, they are strict at directing which way to go.....I hate this. I wouldn’t have gone in, except we needed to pick up prescriptions and DS has nothing to wear to the wedding, and I just realized this last night. So, I got him a shirt with a collar and he does have a pair of long pants.

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Guys. I need to stay out of the sea. If you see me there, say "Swim away Æthelthryth, swim away back to educational things". It is too depressing and non-productive over there. I should be reading meaningful things. Like ITT and books. 

Don't take unnecessary journeys!  Don't swim in the sea!  😱   😜  🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, mms said:

So, I ask this with all due respect and understanding but Russia as a country was never communist. The Soviet Union was the communist country, Russia was occupied territory gained by brutal force and most Russians were not communist. Ditto for all the other republics.

But yes, I am having PTSD living in the USofA these days, so I hear you.

That's a good reminder.  I am still amazed at how many countries "suddenly appeared" when the Soviet Union fell - I never knew they existed!  Growing up, it was just a gigantic USSR.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, mms said:

So, I ask this with all due respect and understanding but Russia as a country was never communist. The Soviet Union was the communist country, Russia was occupied territory gained by brutal force and most Russians were not communist. Ditto for all the other republics.

But yes, I am having PTSD living in the USofA these days, so I hear you.

Yes, you are correct. My apologies.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I need to learn more about Russian history. I am figuring out that I know very, very little. It sort of was glossed over when I was growing up except USSR=BAD. And lots of patriotic cheesy films about bad guy Russians. Then they simply switched from being Commies to Gangsters in most popular media. Talk about gross misrepresentations. 

My formal education about the USSR is likely limited to a paragraph or two in history books in school. I read a very good bio on Peter theGreat several years ago and I also read a very good, but frightening bio about Stalin. They did not give a very clear picture of Russian history.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Naw- Nazi’s, China, ISIS, North Korea... lots of “baddies” to choose from. We have plenty here, too. 

My opinion is your country was closed off for so long so those of us on the outside really didn’t know anything about it and still don’t.

There's a great novel by a local author here, Ruta Sepetys, called Between Shades of Gray that tells a story of the USSR during WW2 and part of it explains why so very little information about those countries left the region for many many years.  It's heartbreaking and beautiful.  I have my kids read it in high school.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, mms said:

I am sorry if that sounded b*tchy. It just gets so old to have your people dumped under the bus all the time: it seems every evil in the world is traced back to Russia. If they thought they could get away with it, I’m sure they’d trace covid to Russia as well 🤫

Well, personally, I have always felt sorry for the Russian people and put the blame on the leadership of the Communist Party. My own great grandparents came from Russia. They were German Lutherans who came To the Ukraine under Catherine the Great. They saw the writing on the wall in the early decades of the 20th Century and left.  My Grandma went back to Russia in the mid-80’s and found some cousins still living there.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

There's a great novel by a local author here, Ruta Sepetys, called Between Shades of Gray that tells a story of the USSR during WW2 and part of it explains why so very little information about those countries left the region for many many years.  It's heartbreaking and beautiful.  I have my kids read it in high school.

That book was powerful. I loved it and hated it at the same time.

• Like 2