Menu

Ignore this thread!

7 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Okay, I wasn't going to ask, because I feel a bit like I'm getting tiresome, but y'all are my tribe, so I'm asking anyway. Will you please pray for peace and clarity for me? There's a FIL situation (again), and I'm not sure how to handle it. I know that my husband would prefer I just get over it and move on. He thinks I haven't forgiven, but I feel there's a big difference between forgiving someone (which I have, and will continue to do) and allowing someone to continue to treat you badly (which he will, considering he not only refuses to acknowledge his own behavior, he has actually changed his own memory of events to make himself a victim and me the aggressor - expected and typical, but still ugh). FIL has offered money for carpeting that I'm not comfortable taking. He paid for the movers and the carpeting that's already been done, even though I told Dave I would really rather not take his father's money. If it's offered again, I have no doubt my husband will take it, no matter what I say. And he's made specific mention that he wants his father to come to dinner, that I can feel free to call him out on bad behavior but he feels I'm being unreasonable in not wanting him around. Dave also isn't really interested in discussing it with me (I assume because he feels like my disagreement is conflict, and his way of dealing with conflict is avoid or explode - to his credit, he's trying not to explode, but that does mean it's harder to discuss difficult things). This leaves me feeling resentful and bitter, which is NOT the woman I want to be. So yeah, prayers, please, if you're so inclined. Thank you. 💕

ETA I'm sorry if this isn't clear. I'm trying to give a broad strokes outline with as little drama as possible, but the nuance is in the details, and I'm leaving a lot of those out so y'all don't have a slog to read first thing on a Tuesday.

Bookie - am I right in remembering that yours is an intercultural marriage?  Your family's culture sounds a lot like my dh's culture - it's an extended family culture more than a nuclear family culture. I used to laugh silently when my in-laws (not just MIL and FIL but all the aunties and cousins etc.) would complain about family being all up in their business because then they were all up in mine as well.  For me, I had to just accept that this was the culture I married into and that there are pros and cons to it.  One pro is that family really does support each other financially and with physical help as well.  The con is that you can get the personality clashes with that and some loss of autonomy. 

Now I still had to set some firm boundaries.  Abusive behavior is still wrong.  But for me and my husband, it was important that I quietly enforce those boundaries (or sometimes not quietly - I remember loudly repeating some mean things that MIL said to me so that everyone could hear them and she couldn't get away with abusing me on the sly.)  Dh definitely would not enforce boundaries for me.  He was fine with me doing it but he was also in a favored boy position in the family culture and did not have to deal with the same dynamics that I had. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

How to vacuum living room without waking Kitty:

Receive phone call from BFF.

Retreat to bedroom to talk.

Kitty wakes and discerns that no adults remain on the couch with her.

Kitty reports to the bedroom in order to Speak to a Manager.

Throw pompom for kitty to play with.

Come downstairs and vacuum.

It is amazing how much a cat can communicate in just a look. “We are desirous of outdoor refreshment, minion.” And then she just gets up and starts walking to the door, expecting me to follow her and let her out. Which, of course, I did. Promptly.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

You know what I just realized? Because I'm the new scapegoat, my husband is enjoying golden child status for the first time in his life. No wonder he doesn't want to see. Oh, my heart hurts for my husband.

I liked this not because it's good, but because it's probably true.  Which means you're going to have to let him (dh) call the shots, imho.  Anything you do to jeopardize his new favor with his dad, will hurt him and make him feel more threatened than you can know.  I would be prepared to overlook as much as possible, to be lighthearted and joyful and confident of your dh's love and fiercely loyal to him through the whole dinner even if it means playing dumb to any insinuations to the contrary.    

• Like 4

I did another thing, although not a kewl thing: I canceled my hula classes. Because I teach at a senior citizen center (and FTR, I don't understand why we're called "seniors." We did that already when we were 17.), members are slow in returning to activities (partially open). Last week I had two students, one of whom is pushing 90yo and has significant back issues so she can't move too much. It's just not worth it to me, frankly, to do all the prep for just two students. Also, the regular rule to have a class there is an average of five participants, so there you go.

I guess four years of teaching hula isn't bad. Or five. I forget, because old.

That is all.

::heavy sigh, tears::

• Sad 5

4 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I'm baking a cheesecake. It smells delicious.

Is it ready?  I'm in my way!

4 hours ago, whitehawk said:

Try rice for lunch? I hope she feels better soon.

She was doing pretty good, then asked me for some Tums a minute ago.  Wish I knew what it was.

3 hours ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

They were great, I’d was just embarrassing and now I’m all frazzled.

Therapies by ITT staff, stat!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I did another thing, although not a kewl thing: I canceled my hula classes. Because I teach at a senior citizen center (and FTR, I don't understand why we're called "seniors." We did that already when we were 17.), members are slow in returning to activities (partially open). Last week I had two students, one of whom is pushing 90yo and has significant back issues so she can't move too much. It's just not worth it to me, frankly, to do all the prep for just two students. Also, the regular rule to have a class there is an average of five participants, so there you go.

I guess four years of teaching hula isn't bad. Or five. I forget, because old.

That is all.

::heavy sigh, tears::

NNNOOOOOOooooooooo!!!  I'm so sorry, Eliie!  Will you post a hula for us?

• Like 2

The cheesecake is almost ready. It needs to finish its chill in the refrigerator, but it didn't crack and smelled wonderful.

I ate too many bad things today, so I really shouldn't have any. Probably will anyway. I walked a mile, and should probably go walk another one. See the eating of bad things.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

The cheesecake is almost ready. It needs to finish its chill in the refrigerator, but it didn't crack and smelled wonderful.

I ate too many bad things today, so I really shouldn't have any. Probably will anyway. I walked a mile, and should probably go walk another one. See the eating of bad things.

There is a rule against making a cheesecake and then not eating it.

And if there wasn't before, there is now.  I just declared it.  Someone please add it to the archives.  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Junie said:

Tonight's dinner plan:

Have a headache so bad that you sleep all afternoon and declare that you should not be awakened under any circumstances, especially not to make dinner.

An omelet was just delivered to my bedroom.

FWIW, I do NOT recommend this plan.

I’m glad they thought to cook for you, too! 

• Like 2

DS seems a bit annoyed that I explained how to do the math, but would not just give him the answer. Well, I did.  But it is one of the three problems we did on the board, and if you aren’t sure which one, you will just have to do the math again yourself on your paper now that you know how. 

• Like 1

My dog is laying on the floor near his bowl. Pouting. His bowl has food.  It’s not what he wants.  I’ve been given the look.  The dragging of the bowl. The slightly tipping it so it lands and makes noise. I’ve been barked at.  

Deal with it! You get what you get and don’t make a fuss. Geesh.  

Everyone in this house is annoying me today.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

NNNOOOOOOooooooooo!!!  I'm so sorry, Eliie!  Will you post a hula for us?

Your wish is my command. 🙂

These are the winners of the Merrie Monarch Festival last year. First are wahini (women) and kane (men) kahiko (ancient style, with chanting and implements only); then Miss Aloha; then wahini and kane auana (sung in Hawaiian, but modern instruments are used).

FTR, I will never, ever be skilled enough to stand in their shadow, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

(((Junie))) Did the food help?

Well, I was feeling a little better before the omelet came, which is why I was able to eat.

Earlier in the day I couldn't even eat the chocolate that was sitting on my desk.  It is a bad day when the thought of eating chocolate makes me feel nauseated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Stormy said:

I hope everyone has a better day tomorrow- mentally and physically. Today seems like everyone needs the ITT island for sure.  

I did another half of a PiYo workout to make up for the griddled dinner dh made. I was sous chef. Now I am going to play bingo and watch something that is probably going to make me bleed from my eyes and ears. Break out the wine. 

Goodnight ITT! 

ETA- It's a Goodnight Booyah! 

I think there's a drinking game that goes with it too if you want to drink your wine faster.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bookie, I love the pictures!!!

Junie, I’m glad you are feeling better.

We are having pork loin and Presbyterian potato bake and mixed vegetables for dinner.

I moved one of the hummingbird feeders. Now I have two hummingbird feeders in the front yard. The one in the backyard was getting no action.

It was 100 degrees today.

My hairdresser told me not to get drugstore hair dye. The shade I picked was much darker than she’s been using. She said if we get shut down again to call her and she would give me some of the stuff she uses on me.❤️ We’d better not get shut down again. I did give her a big tip. This year has been very hard on her.

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

Science Lab Intensive Day 3!

I slept ok and feel rested.  I had weird/bad dreams, and I still have a little bit of a headache, but somehow I still feel pretty good this morning.

Praying that everyone has a good day today.  I think yesterday was rough for a lot of us.

• Like 4

good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Humph Day!!! And the last day of September.

School and work and not-Awana. (Our Wednesday Night program does have a name, but it just hasn’t stuck yet, so we still call it Awana, but it is not Awana.)

I was sleeping well until a #$&@%|§ train came through town at 5:00am, laying on the whistle at every. single. crossing. Gotta make sure the guy 10 miles away isn’t thinking about crossing those tracks right now.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ellie said:

Your wish is my command. 🙂

These are the winners of the Merrie Monarch Festival last year. First are wahini (women) and kane (men) kahiko (ancient style, with chanting and implements only); then Miss Aloha; then wahini and kane auana (sung in Hawaiian, but modern instruments are used).

FTR, I will never, ever be skilled enough to stand in their shadow, lol.

Thank you!  What a wonderful video to start the day.

• Like 1

Good morning!

So today might be a little carpy.  I am now having tummy issues, and will have to take dd11 and myself to the doctor and get tested just in case this is the plague.  It is extremely unlikely that dd11 has been exposed, but we need to get cleared so everyone can do the limited things they do.   The worst part is that I will have to put a shoe on my ouchie toe.  

Coffee!(?)

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

So today might be a little carpy.  I am now having tummy issues, and will have to take dd11 and myself to the doctor and get tested just in case this is the plague.  It is extremely unlikely that dd11 has been exposed, but we need to get cleared so everyone can do the limited things they do.   The worst part is that I will have to put a shoe on my ouchie toe.  

Coffee!(?)

Hope you get in and out fast and get good results quickly too!  💓

In other news: I placed my art supplies order last night as my reward for being a good little artist and completing every day of my art challenge this last month. Now I need to see what art challenge I want to do for October. 

I'm also walking a mile a day this month. Maybe more as the month winds down, but man alive, I am out of shape. I don't think I ever got my wind back after the flu I had in the spring (confirmed--I was tested and found to have Flu A). So all the ouch this morning, but maybe in a few weeks it will be better? Please? 

ETA: Oh, look, it's a walk 'til you drop, Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I feel perfectly fine now.  Nevertheless, I will use the next day or so to laze around since I should quarantine until the test results come back.

I'm hearing Bach's cello sonata coming from below (ds15's facetime cello lesson) and Billy Joel's Vienna from the girls singing in the living room.  Now dh is singing it upstairs.  Budgies are tweeting away.

There's the play-by-play at my house.  Stay tuned for more thrilling adventures of Sounds Heard from My Bedroom!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1