Menu

Ignore this thread!

18 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Toto- is Nancy Larson science a good one for younger kids? What would you suggest?

I've never used it but I"ve heard good things.  I've used some Ellen McHenry, REAL Science Odyssey and Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding.  Otherwise I use college textbooks, Pinterest and websites. 

Other than Ellen McHenry (which I only used The Elements), I use all secular materials, not neutral or religious so I don't know if that's what you are looking for.

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Stormy said:

We will do the interior ToT- that's what we've done before during storms, but they really love the whole festival thing. I will break out the face paint though.

Depending on the layout of your house, you could leave hallways dark and only have lights in rooms to ToT to--and put glow necklaces on everybody.

You would think I liked Halloween, lol!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Stormy said:

I think you are right. This is the time of year we are usually hitting up the museums and the zoo and lots of field trips and this year we have nada and I had to tell the kids to not count on Halloween either since we usually go to the thing at the church as trick or treating in our area is not practical with the distance between houses and they are so totally disappointed. I told them that we would probably just do games and maybe camp in the den or something here at the house and they were super bummed. Maybe I should go all in and get more Halloween decor, but then I am not sure where to store all of it afterward. I am so limited on that type of storage. I need Bookie's new closet. Or disposable decor. 

It's like the perfect storm. Seems like people warn of that year 7/8 homeschool slump and we are there + plague. Boo. 

Since Halloween is on Sat, during the day ds's family is coming over and we are doing a pinata, pin the tail on a TRex, an orange ping-pong ball made into little pumpkins race (carrying on a spoon sort of like an egg race), a spider web race (make spiders out of egg cartons, black puff balls, googly eyes, black pipe cleaners, and straws glued across the top---then you use fishing line to go through the straw, tie off to something and about kids standing with the other end about 10 ft away have to shake the line to get the spider to "crawl" and get to the tied end), corn hole, pop ballons on the trampoline, etc.  Then ordering pizza for dinner, and smores over the fire pit at dark.  (I am so not into Halloween decor.  Pumpkins are my limit.)

The kids are actually more excited about our at home Halloween then they have ever been about trick or treating. 🙂  Pinterest has lots of game ideas.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Since Halloween is on Sat, during the day ds's family is coming over and we are doing a pinata, pin the tail on a TRex, an orange ping-pong ball made into little pumpkins race (carrying on a spoon sort of like an egg race), a spider web race (make spiders out of egg cartons, black puff balls, googly eyes, black pipe cleaners, and straws glued across the top---then you use fishing line to go through the straw, tie off to something and about kids standing with the other end about 10 ft away have to shake the line to get the spider to "crawl" and get to the tied end), corn hole, pop ballons on the trampoline, etc.  Then ordering pizza for dinner, and smores over the fire pit at dark.  (I am so not into Halloween decor.  Pumpkins are my limit.)

The kids are actually more excited about our at home Halloween then they have ever been about trick or treating. 🙂  Pinterest has lots of game ideas.

Ooh, good ideas!

I've been thinking of doing a dinosaur and dragon themed family halloween party. They are both obsessions around here.

• Like 3

I am notnotnotnotnot happy about rising covid rates in our county. Dh is high risk so we have to be extra careful but we've already cut way back on activities that put us around groups of people and I don't think the mental health impact on my kids will be good if I cut them out entirely.

I have laid in a good stock of KN95 masks and my kids are good about wearing them.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Morning.   Another week almost done.    My car is still in the shop so I'm driving in with dh today.  Probably in the next 30 minutes so by 7:30, despite my first class not being until 11:30.  This time I'm making sure I have at least one of the textbooks I need to plan my least planned classes a bit ahead (Algebra 2 because I adjust based on how fast/slow we go each class, but I can get a little bit ahead).  

Home Depot didn't do their delivery yesterday.  I'm amazed at how bad the stores are at delivering.  We get a firm delivery date and then they just don't show up.   Home Depot was already a reschedule of them messing up over the weekend.  Dh told them clearly that we had narrow streets and tight turns so don't send a big truck.  They still sent a big truck and the guy had already been in our neighborhood before (and got stuck) so didn't even try.    It was on a truck and ready over the weekend, so why was it all of a sudden not available 3 days later?  dh really doesn't need anything else to worry about and coordinate.  We need to get things OFF his plate. 

• Sad 6

15 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Signed up for MyPanera and the coffee club. It’s free for the first month and $9 monthly for unlimited drip and tea after that. My husband told me about it and I’m totally in the car enough for it to make sense. Woohoo! Not a big Panera person but that’s the cheapest on the go coffee by far and actually tastes good 😌 (sorry Speedway)

I don’t know how long this has been a thing or if I’m the only person who missed the memo, but I thought I’d share!

I remember thinking about it before shut down and well, then shut down happened and we weren't going anywhere for awhile.  I wonder if they will keep decaf freshly brewed now - they didn't used to after about 10 in the morning.  I thought that was so weird.  I need my decaf later in the day not early, lol.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

This sounds like so much fun. We’ll be there.🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Good morning!  Happy October!

Dd11 and I are in the clear.  No plague detected.  Report came through at about 3am, which I felt compelled to check even though it broke my "no activity upon waking in the middle of the night" rule.  And then of course I got distracted and looked up various opinions and options on ultralight dry bags. I eventually got back to sleep for an hour.  

The two high schoolers are staying home from tutorial even with the absence of plague because they already notified all their teachers and I don't want to make them switch gears at the last minute again.   

I need to go grocery shopping today since we are out of cheese and that means calamity in our house.  I think I will shop at AFSA and get a pair of flip flops since I should be able to wear those without too much pain.  Also ds15 needs pantz.

Coffee!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  Happy October!

Dd11 and I are in the clear.  No plague detected.  Report came through at about 3am, which I felt compelled to check even though it broke my "no activity upon waking in the middle of the night" rule.  And then of course I got distracted and looked up various opinions and options on ultralight dry bags. I eventually got back to sleep for an hour.  

The two high schoolers are staying home from tutorial even with the absence of plague because they already notified all their teachers and I don't want to make them switch gears at the last minute again.   

I need to go grocery shopping today since we are out of cheese and that means calamity in our house.  I think I will shop at AFSA and get a pair of flip flops since I should be able to wear those without too much pain.  Also ds15 needs pantz.

Coffee!

Woo-hoo!   Partay at Susan's!  🎉

Morning! I have completed my morning slug walk. It's really odd. Here I am, all grown, supposedly at ease with all my strangeness, and whenever I go for a walk, I'm sure I'm not doing it right. My beat is off, I don't move my arms right, or something. So weird. Oh, well. Nobody was laughing except the buzzards.

Happy October!

There will be no Halloween party here, but there never is. We will likely carve some pumpkin or draw on it, depending on whether the boy wants to sacrifice one for carving, pop popcorn, and probably go to bed early. I might make caramel for caramel apples. Possibly. But we are so rural, and there's just never anyone out here, we've never done much other than that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mms said:

Y’all are so creative! I don’t have a children’s party planning bone in my body. We’re going to trick or treat at grandma’s house 🤷‍♀️

Um, I just buy a bunch of candy and give it to my own kids...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Servie saw something!

I have received several texts asking me if I am voting for one candidate and when I say no I'm voting for the other they end the conversation. Does anyone know what this is about?

Mary was so excited to run on the treadmill that she forgot to put socks on. I guess that's the level of quarantine we're at.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Ugh I had a super triggering afternoon. I don’t know if anyone cares about celebrities but I try to keep somewhat current. Stumbled across the sadness for John Legend and Chrissy Teigan today and it just shook me. My heart goes out to them, and as someone in the same stage of pregnancy who has already buried a child it also gave me cold sweats and a panic attack. I keep hoping that will get better, but it hasn’t yet 😞

So sad 😢

I completely understand how you would feel very shaken. Sending prayers for peace and for continued health for you and your little one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

Servie saw something!

I have received several texts asking me if I am voting for one candidate and when I say no I'm voting for the other they end the conversation. Does anyone know what this is about?

Mary was so excited to run on the treadmill that she forgot to put socks on. I guess that's the level of quarantine we're at.

I run on the sidewalks barefoot...some lady asked me about it at the park today. 

I don't understand why most "barefoot" runners are actually "minimalist shoe" runners. Barefoot is barefoot.

• Haha 1

I got all nine of us successfully flu shotted yesterday.

I think I need trophies.

Don't even have a sore arm today so that is good.

They wanted to give ds3 a dose from a multi-dose vial instead of the single-dose version the rest of us were getting because that one was only labeled for ages four and up. I don't like multidose formulations because of thimerasol. The NP said he could get the same one as the rest of us but insurance wouldn't pay so we did that one self pay. 

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, maize said:

I run on the sidewalks barefoot...some lady asked me about it at the park today. 

I don't understand why most "barefoot" runners are actually "minimalist shoe" runners. Barefoot is barefoot.

Because the ground is hard! I have these in brown. They do amazing things for my back pain.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

My son is actually for real bouncing off the walls.  He is wandering around the house, spinning around, running into walls and other things, bouncing off and continuing on in a different direction.  Like a giant pinball game lol.  

I've done this before!  (It was a side effect of a migraine med I was trying.)  Walking into walls, staggering around, unable to walk in a straight line.  Unable to sit up without falling over.

This was at church.  On communion night.

:)

FTR: Our church serves juice for communion, and in fact I have never had even a sip of alcohol.  But I still think it was funny.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Junie said:

I've done this before!  (It was a side effect of a migraine med I was trying.)  Walking into walls, staggering around, unable to walk in a straight line.  Unable to sit up without falling over.

This was at church.  On communion night.

🙂

FTR: Our church serves juice for communion, and in fact I have never had even a sip of alcohol.  But I still think it was funny.

The seizure meds I tried pregnant did this too. They also had a lot of other horrible side effects so I stopped after I think 10 days.

Just now, maize said:

Those look nice!

I love them. They fix my posture and stride. They are very soft on the bottom and I feel like they have offered every benefit I wanted from barefoot running without having to scrape my feet up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Sorry, Newbie somehow hit the post button before I could finish. It was what I thought was an Amish woman getting into the driver's seat of a van outside of Jo-Ann's yesterday. DH says she must've been Mennonite, not Amish. But she was wearing a solid dark gray dress and black head thingy so you can understand my confusion. Every Mennonite I've ever seen was wearing an Easter colored dress with a white head thingy.

Can you send me the picture?  I *might* be able to figure it out for you.  I grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch Country. :)

8 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I'm making pancakes. My kids are pretend fighting with pretend wands and shouting spell words from Harry Potter. That counts as Latin for today, right?

Just kidding. I don't teach Latin.

That’s a “language intensive” on the transcript, no?  Asking for a friend

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mms said:

I couldn’t log on, but Lynn fixed it. Texan still can’t log on and she’s stuck on the couch with ice, unable to move or chat on WTM even 😭

I couldn't log in until I reset my password.   After that it worked fine.

Tomorrow is Friday!!  Yippee.

I decided Tuesday is my least favorite day.   I really like Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays.  Wednesdays are also good.  

Edited by Where's Toto?
ETA: A favorite days booya!
  • Like 3