Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Recommended Posts

Matt was 7 when his sister was born. He remembers bathing her and changing her and all sorts of things. He was more of a father figure than a brother figure, but they were really close none the less.

BABY SISTER BOOYA!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

A 20+yr sibling age difference?! No way, no how is that even happening here. Trophy for Whitehawk's Mom!🏆

I have an exactly 20 yr age gap from my oldest to my youngest. But if they were my only 2, I'd be What's Up With That?!?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay. I got the grocery list down from $190 to $166. This includes a lunch box since Matt has been working for nearly a year without one, and a thermos to keep his chili warm. So big money saved this week. We picked out our Christmas tamales. I'm so excited!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BY THE WAY! The reason I know that my grocery list is down is because of grocery pick-up. I know what's in my cart and how much my cart costs. If they don't have what I need they substitute something else and swallow the cost. That has been very beneficial to my family. Also, if I don't go in the store I don't buy anything that isn't on the list! Meal planning + grocery pickup = less money, less junk food!

#ramblingsbyslache

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

That would be a cool trick, and my mom did it at an older age than I am, but I really don't want to. (I'm older than many here, including Maize, & my surprise baby sister turns 18 tomorrow!)

Same as my grandmother. My mom and grandmother were pregnant at the same time. My mom with my middle sister and grandma was 47.  Grandma had remarried and her husband didn't have kids, so they decided to have one. That woman had 9 kids over 30 years.

30 years having babies.

30 years having babies. (saying it for the people in the back)

Goodness gracious.

I don't want to be having kids at that age. I thought 37 was old enough for me.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mom had her first child at 25 and her tenth the same month she turned 45.

My oldest sister was in college when the youngest was born, people in her department heard the news and commented that that was quite a gap--until she explained that there were eight more siblings in between! 

I was sixteen when that youngest sister was born, it was the first time I really fell in love with a baby. I've always wondered if that had something to do with being old enough that she could have theoretically been mine; I hadn't really been a baby person before that.

Dh's youngest brother is only two years older than his oldest niece.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, maize said:

My mom had her first child at 25 and her tenth the same month she turned 45.

My oldest sister was in college when the youngest was born, people in her department heard the news and commented that that was quite a gap--until she explained that there were eight more siblings in between! 

I was sixteen when that youngest sister was born, it was the first time I really fell in love with a baby. I've always wondered if that had something to do with being old enough that she could have theoretically been mine; I hadn't really been a baby person before that.

Dh's youngest brother is only two years older than his oldest niece.

I did not understand on an emotional level that babies were people. I never really knew a baby until John was born. I did not love John for his first two weeks of life. I thought that I was broken and destined to be a terrible mother. I have a true, overwhelming, motherly love for him. I would do anything for him. But when I first met him didn't know what he was and I didn't know how I was supposed to feel. I have shared this with other mothers who had felt the same way but were too horrified to say it out loud. I decided that a lack of experience at the right age with babies could leave you this way.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slache said:

BY THE WAY! The reason I know that my grocery list is down is because of grocery pick-up. I know what's in my cart and how much my cart costs. If they don't have what I need they substitute something else and swallow the cost. That has been very beneficial to my family. Also, if I don't go in the store I don't buy anything that isn't on the list! Meal planning + grocery pickup = less money, less junk food!

#ramblingsbyslache

This is me, too. I’m not sure how much $ I am saving, I will have to be doing this a couple of months to get a grip, but yes.... I have no impulse buying.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slache said:

We're out of chocolate! Somebody help!

 

1 hour ago, Slache said:

BY THE WAY! The reason I know that my grocery list is down is because of grocery pick-up. I know what's in my cart and how much my cart costs. If they don't have what I need they substitute something else and swallow the cost. That has been very beneficial to my family. Also, if I don't go in the store I don't buy anything that isn't on the list! Meal planning + grocery pickup = less money, less junk food!

#ramblingsbyslache

Apparently you forgot to put chocolate on the list.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Today was just felt plain wierd. I spent the day in my pj's and finally got my shower about 7pm. 

Dinner was lentil chili and lemon-blueberry 'cake' (muffin recipe made in my 10x10 pan). Captain cried at every bite, cried when Scotsman tried to hold him, then cried eating his cake. He was up at 6am, didn't take a nap, and is still sick.

Everyone got school done. I'm debating having Quiet Boy write the BJU history essays or not. On the one hand he needs the practice, on the other, the questions aren't very good or overtly religious to the point of not relating to the history lesson. Lots of value judgements. (Yep it's a fragment, I know.)

My .02 on your edpo:  I would not have him write on their topics.  Writing is hard enough as it is without an eye-rolling topic.  I would come up with my own.  He could write summaries.  Or you could use the BJU topics as a guide and change them.  (like... Write about what you think are the three most important things George Washington did after he became president and why.  OR Explain in detail how events from 1849 to 1860 led to the Civil War.  etc.)  Look for cause-effect topics.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My younger kids are 11 and 13 years younger than my oldest, with none in between.  Divorce and remarriage is the explanation for that.  

My mother is one of 13 children.  Grandma was having kids at the same time as her 4 oldest children.  I have a ton of cousins.  

We watched 6 Underground last night.  Not even remotely a Christmas movie.  Less of a Christmas movie than Die Hard.   If you like car chases, tons of very graphic shoot-them-up action, you might like it.  Totally over the top in a Fast and Furious, Kill Bill, XXX kind of way.   But Ryan Reynolds, so some humor in a Deadpool kind of way.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's agenda:

More laundry
Dishes
Clean kitchen because new stove and dishwasher come this afternoon
Clean living room and clear out one corner to put the tree up
Do some cleaning at the classroom

Tomorrow will be a bust on getting anything done since we are going out to eat both lunch and dinner. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first time in months I did not have to take dd to swim this morning.  So glorious to sleep in and leisurely think about what to do.  She missed swim last night to spend the night with a friend and friend's mom is taking them to swim this morning.  She's my new best friend.  lol.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had an early morning funeral for Skittles.  I played The Skye Boat Song and read a poem.

Skittles the Jumbo Dumbo Rat
Clever Food Thief
Hated brother's grooming
Fighter, biter; yet at life's feeble end
Was tenderly cared for with tears.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Slache said:

Okay. I got the grocery list down from $190 to $166. This includes a lunch box since Matt has been working for nearly a year without one, and a thermos to keep his chili warm. So big money saved this week. We picked out our Christmas tamales. I'm so excited!

What is the process for picking out Christmas tamales?  I feel like this is something I would like to do.  Can you recommend a place in the Catskill Mountains?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goals for today: have dd17 draw a birthday card for grandma and get it in the mail; put away laundry; embroider 2nd dishcloth that didn’t get done yesterday; iron all of them; Christmas present for violin/viola teacher; do Advent candles. 

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!!

Ima do some yardwork today. Leaves need to be raked and our crape myrtles need to be pruned for the winter. We have a funeral at 3:00 for a former neighbor.😢 He was not terribly old (late 50’s/early 60’s I think). Apparently he passed away after an illness. His widow is such a sweet lady. I feel so awful for her. I need to make a grocery order for the Afsa. And the house is an absolute wreck. I need to clean.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

My .02 on your edpo:  I would not have him write on their topics.  Writing is hard enough as it is without an eye-rolling topic.  I would come up with my own.  He could write summaries.  Or you could use the BJU topics as a guide and change them.  (like... Write about what you think are the three most important things George Washington did after he became president and why.  OR Explain in detail how events from 1849 to 1860 led to the Civil War.  etc.)  Look for cause-effect topics.  

Lynn for the Win!! Great idea!!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lion King cast list came out late last night; kids are mostly ensemble roles again but the child who has been dying to do Lion King for the past year got a bigger role so we are all happy for her (not a lead, but a role with plenty of speaking parts).

Choir rehearsal this morning and two performances this evening. We were ransacking the house yesterday for a missing choir dress and I was beginning to panic but we finally located it this morning so disaster averted (it was in a plastic bin in the boys' room, and of course we hadn't been searching the boys' room for a missing black dress...)

I am not feeling well today but I'm going to go take an ibuprofen and then get the kids to their rehearsal.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expo: We're trying out a new school schedule which leaves more play time. It's working out well.

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

What is the process for picking out Christmas tamales?  I feel like this is something I would like to do.  Can you recommend a place in the Catskill Mountains?

Every person here recommends the same place. No, sorry.

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

You would've figured this out at the checkout line but you chose grocery pick-up. 😂

But then I would have been eating chocolate at 10pm. I didn't do that.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pruned one tree. It filled up the entire green waste.

I talked to my SIL on the phone about family issues. It was a good talk. The bottom line is.... there are some issues, there’s nothing we can do about it, we just need to be patient and love on everyone. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

My .02 on your edpo:  I would not have him write on their topics.  Writing is hard enough as it is without an eye-rolling topic.  I would come up with my own.  He could write summaries.  Or you could use the BJU topics as a guide and change them.  (like... Write about what you think are the three most important things George Washington did after he became president and why.  OR Explain in detail how events from 1849 to 1860 led to the Civil War.  etc.)  Look for cause-effect topics.  

 I like it.

The first one is write a basic 5 paragraph essay on 3 points that have about a sentence each in the text! Really? How is that even worth doing? I'm a very concise writer. Why prattle on when a paragraph will do? What is that called? Economy writer? No BS writer?

Edited by Paradox5
Major errors!
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DS survived his first drum recital! He was nervous, but he did fine. 🥁 It's nice to see as he gets older that he's developing some skills to talk himself down.

I feel like at some point, bad weather is going to sneak up on me when I'm putting off grocery shopping. I'm not in the habit of checking the forecast, and I really don't like going out when it's cold and wet. So I stocked up on some things, and I feel a bit better. May do more in the next couple of days.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

 I like it. The first one is write a basic 5 paragraph "essay" on 3 points that have about a sentence each in the text! Really? How is that even worth doing? I'm a very concise writier. Why prattle on when a paragrph will do? What is that called? Economy writer? No BS writer?

Now, if that was a poem, I'd say that was perfectly logical, and five paragraphs might not do it.🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today has so far been cleaning, laundry, and prep for tomorrow's Nursery graduation. I still need to make the cookies, so I need to go to the store to buy rolled oats. The Girl has a friend over which is great for her. The giggling and play is echoing throughout the house. Quiet Boy went with Scotsman to a baptism. Uni Boy and ASD Boy are on devices. Captain FINALLY collapsed for a nap! 

Scotsman and I started talking about a budget for 2020, and deciding if we can afford to stay in the house? The verdict is not really unless we want to keep squeaking by. On the plus side, a brand spanking new really nice with big 3 bds/2ba apartments complex is opening across the street. I talked to them yeasterday about our needs (1st floor, near pool/clubhouse/covered parking) and timeframe so it seems we will have a place to go that will drop our costs into the range that works better for us. Downside is they do not supply washer/dryers. That isn't really a downside, though. I would much rather choose my own!

I have done zero Christmas shopping. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

 I like it. The first one is write a basic 5 paragraph "essay" on 3 points that have about a sentence each in the text! Really? How is that even worth doing? I'm a very concise writier. Why prattle on when a paragrph will do? What is that called? Economy writer? No BS writer?

Oh My GOSH! Look at all the errors! 😳 Sorry, guys! I'll go fix it now.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

 I like it.

The first one is write a basic 5 paragraph essay on 3 points that have about a sentence each in the text! Really? How is that even worth doing? I'm a very concise writer. Why prattle on when a paragraph will do? What is that called? Economy writer? No BS writer?

Concise is actually good writing, so yes, go with your gut!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Dh's company had the stupidest "mandatory" Christmas fun today.  They made everyone drive into the industrial outskirts of The Big City, park at some warehouse and take a shuttlebus to a nondescript restaurant to have coffee, punch, and cookies.  A jazz trio was playing.  They had some announcement of accomplishments that everyone knew about and then they all had to take the shuttlebus back to their cars at the warehouse and then drive back to the office for over an hour through rush-hour traffic.  I'm sorry, but who hired these marketing imbeciles? 

My company ordered food for the conference room and then let people go home early 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maize said:

We cannot locate ds7's red suspenders.

Which he is supposed to have for the choir concert.

Sigh.

Have you checked the girls' clothes, in case it changed places with a black dress? Sock drawers?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was really good. (I used olive oil instead of coconut and skipped the cinnamon.) We had it with roasted Brussels sprouts and turkey patties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're watching Up. So I'm crying. In front of the kids.

Bookie, I'm reading The 5AM Club, but no comment on that yet. The Power of Habit, The Obesity Code, 168 hours was good but had some irritating points, It Starts With Food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slache said:

We're watching Up. So I'm crying. In front of the kids.

Bookie, I'm reading The 5AM Club, but no comment on that yet. The Power of Habit, The Obesity Code, 168 hours was good but had some irritating points, It Starts With Food.

Thanks! I'll look into those.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Slache said:

Not what you asked for but here.

Oh! I have this on Kindle already! Thank you for the reminder. Apparently I got it in March and then forgot about it.

I want my reading to be a little more purposeful this year. I have a goal of one spiritual nourishment book, one self education book, and one personal development book each month. I already know I'll read novels, but I want to be more consistent about writing down the titles. I'm setting up my 2020 journal, and I have a page for each month's reading.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ikslo said:

My company ordered food for the conference room and then let people go home early 🙂

Dh says this would have been a much more enjoyable event!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Oh! I have this on Kindle already! Thank you for the reminder. Apparently I got it in March and then forgot about it.

I want my reading to be a little more purposeful this year. I have a goal of one spiritual nourishment book, one self education book, and one personal development book each month. I already know I'll read novels, but I want to be more consistent about writing down the titles. I'm setting up my 2020 journal, and I have a page for each month's reading.

Have you looked at Tim Challis' reading challenge (or whatever) thing?  He probably has one up for 2020.  

Here it is  https://www.challies.com/visual-theology/the-2020-christian-reading-challenge/

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...