Menu

Ignore this thread!

We beached. Fall term starts Monday, ready or not!

Welcome, new folks! I'm a former schoolteacher and now mama of a 12-year-old who keeps me on my toes. My job here on ITT is to remind people to follow the rules, such as No Dying and Be Sure to Visit Often. I live in North Carolina (now for half my life!) and we've homeschooled since preK.

I am also staff to an Excellent Kitty. Like all animals, she adores my husband, who is a computer guy and not into animals at all. (It's become a running joke at our house. Today at the beach, he--and only he--was approached by a school of fish and then a little flock of plovers.) Currently the kitty is pouting in the rocking chair because I'm sitting on the couch with him and she's not getting his attention.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 3

Chester has finally calmed down and decided he no longer needs to attack, pounce on, or carry on a loud, aggressive conversation with Wally the Robot Vacuum.

Also, progress has been made in that he rarely tries to eat the sofa covers any more, and doesn't attack Lynette the Lemon Tree or try to bury himself in pine needle mulch.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maize said:

That thread about what curriculum you would use if you were to start homeschooling now is dangerous.

You'd think I have been doing this long enough that I'd have all my curriculum choices settled but really the only curriculum I've found that I like is math stuff. 

Uh-oh it's an Ed-Po booyah...

Right?  I start to post, and then I think who am I kidding?  No matter what I chose, I would end up in survival mode, lol.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I went to the Afsa because I was having a lousy day anyhow and I  Decided to not ruin tomorrow by going to the Afsa tomorrow. So, I went today. It wasn’t too crowded, but they have stock people on every aisle,l supposedly stocking shelves, but the shelves are all empty anyway. And I had to do self-checkout with a boatload of stuff and that always takes me forever. But I am home and we are having pizza for dinner. And I don’t have to go to the Afsa tomorrow.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, maize said:

That thread about what curriculum you would use if you were to start homeschooling now is dangerous.

You'd think I have been doing this long enough that I'd have all my curriculum choices settled but really the only curriculum I've found that I like is math stuff. 

Uh-oh it's an Ed-Po booyah...

I have pretty much settled on what I’m doing. It’s ok.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I'm watching AMC's The Walking Dead spinoff on Hulu and after all these years, no one has learned the number 1 rule of the Zombie Apocalypse: shut the door!

Oh, come on.... it’s so much more effective to stand there with the door open and a horrified look on your face as you watch them walk up your front walk and eat you.🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Isaac is the most mobile newborn I've ever seen. I had no idea they could move so far. It's not like he can crawl.

I had one like that--she had a way of scooting virtually from birth. Fortunately our bed was a mattress on the floor at the time because at just two or three weeks old she would wiggle/scoot her way to the edge of the mattress, roll off, look startled for a minute, then start scooting again!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good morning!

We only got a little over an inch of rain yesterday, so not too bad.  The outdoor plants are happy.  Dh was kind enough to get up with puppy at 5:45 this morning, but I couldn't get back to sleep. Plans for this morning are a quick stop by Kroger for chocolate chips on the way to a thrift store that opens at 9; putz around there for an hour until the library opens to pick up books.  There's a zoom scout activity after lunch.  Dd14 has book club at a friend's house this afternoon and afterwards they are having a small birthday party.  The girls decided to make cookies for a gift, which is why we need chocolate chips.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Morning.  Our big storm is evidently coming all today instead of last night.     I woke up around 3am feeling hot and couldn't get comfortable.  Covers off, fan on my legs made me feel twitchy. Covers on, it was too hot.    Not sure when I finally fell back asleep but my alarm woke me up at 6:30 to meet up with dd.   I actually headed over early but she ended up cancelling due to a female issue.    I would have gotten the message before I left if I left at normal time.    I'm heading back to the science center with dh later.  He has to move tv's and whiteboards to work in my new distanced classroom arrangement, and I'll feed the turtle and be there to help if needed.

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D is almost ready!!!

Saturday!!!

Don’t have much going on this weekend. Housework. My last class for my CLAD ends tomorrow and I have one more paper to write. This is not my last last class. It’s just the last one I registered for this summer. I think I have three more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ah, now I see. I don't have the ITT map handy and didn't know if you're in Hurricane Land like some of the others.

I generally don't like to give details about my specific location.  If you want to put me on your ITT map, though, I live close enough to go to DC for a daytrip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

That’s true, but I always feel like I don’t do enough, especially on the weekends. I crash if I push too hard but it’s annoying how much this takes out of me now. Part of the reason this is our last baby if he lives, it’s increasingly difficult on my body to keep strip mining it for baby making 😵

((Bagels))💕

• Like 1

Ds25 is cleaning the microwave.  That's how bad it had gotten!  Lol!

Batch #1 of birthday gift cookies was a disaster.  Which I should have expected because this is the recipe dd11 uses every time and every time, the Cookies spread into one giant, flat cookie.  Plus, the parchment slipped as I was taking the pan out of the oven and they ended up on the oven door.  Grrrr.  So now we are trying cookie batch #2 of regular chocolate chip.  We'll see how the test batch does.

• Like 4

I am checking in so that the Elephant Ninja Brigade aren't set upon me.

I am also taking a break from my very hard PT lower body exercises.  I did get through the "Exercise of Death" today though - two sets of ten reps.  This is the first time in a month of trying to work up to that goal that I have succeeded.  I was ready to quit after the first set of ten but muttered "I am Xena" until I got through the second set.  😉

OK - back to the exercises. . .  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I learned that subbing half of your butter with shortening remedies this, at least it does in the recipe I use. Also, if you want chewy instead of crunchy, use brown sugar instead of white. Good luck with your second batch!

Yes. This.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Strange, corn on the cob is EVERYWHERE here. Maybe because we're a farming community and can find it on literally every corner at all the roadside produce stands this time of year.

Corn on the cob Booya(h)! 🤣

I can’t find it anywhere here, either.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

They also have the most excellent Dia de los Muertos kitchen products around, for those of us partial-Mexicans who like this type of pizzaz in our kitchens and cookery products. 

https://www.heb.com/static-page/dia-de-los-muertos

My youngest also takes issue with it being H-E-B and thinks Heb is more appropriate. My oldest also called the UPS store the Ups store for a while when she was 5 and I hated to correct her because it was so cute. Who wouldn't want to go to the Ups store? 

I love sugar skulls! I always wanted an ofrenda just for the looks to honor my loved ones but that's kinda the definition of cultural appropriation so...

I say the ups store.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Lunch. Might not win any awards for nutrition, but the children are happy!

IMG_20170421_173917.thumb.jpg.3586431df9dff35db9840081a946a305.jpg

Looks yummy.  Anyone know an easy to cook but healthier type of ramen?  I love ramen.

We have corn on the cob here.   It's grown locally so we can get it pretty easily.

I have a headache.  I've been working on classes all day, maybe should have rested my eyes more often. 

• Like 2