Menu

What's with the ads?

8 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

But I would definitely skip problems and move through things faster if they were already known or it's just too much practice.   I found with my daughter that 4th, 5th and 6th grade math basically were just the same things each year, just slightly harder problems (bigger numbers), then "pre-algebra" did it all over again.    My daughter actually does need that repetition, but my son was bored out of his mind.  

True!

8 hours ago, Renai said:

Can you just do the tests until she starts getting a certain percentage, like 75-80%? Then start at that chapter.

I was thinking the same.

7 hours ago, Slache said:

CLEAN SHEETS!

Yay!

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I hit my food goal. 

Yay!

5 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I am exhausted. We had our Sunday School class over for dinner. It was good, but as Baby so aptly put it.... “They used me up.”

That describes it exactly!

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Step goal met. 

Day 11 logged and accounted for. 

Double Yay!!

55 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Morning. Not feeling great still but dishes are done and breakfast has been eaten by all the eaters.

(((Servo)))  Trophy for breakfast dishes!  🏆

• Like 6

I'm outta likes, btw.  And waiting on coffee.  Back in the swing of things today after a 3 day swim meet.  And one has an orthodontist appt.  which does not bode well for getting laundry going again.  Which begs the question - what's more important, clothes or towels?  😜

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I'm outta likes, btw.  And waiting on coffee.  Back in the swing of things today after a 3 day swim meet.  And one has an orthodontist appt.  which does not bode well for getting laundry going again.  Which begs the question - what's more important, clothes or towels?  😜

Clothes. Unless you want to wear a towel all day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Neither! Resetting your reactions! Where's your priorities? 😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

In reality, I think I agree with this but for a different reason. I like to get all the hard to fold stuff done early because I'm picky about how things are folded. I'd save the "no brainer" easy to fold stuff for later so if needed, anyone can help fold them when I run our of steam.

• Like 4

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

I have my left arm in a sling to keep me from using it.  This is going to get annoying real fast.

I need to make a campsite reservation today.  Hopefully I can get it done on the PC before the kids start their lessons - I hate trying to do those kinds of things on my phone.

Coffee!

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I am exhausted. We had our Sunday School class over for dinner. It was good, but as Baby so aptly put it.... “They used me up.”

People use me up every day!  Lol!  That's why I have to say I can't listen anymore at 8pm.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  It's Monday!!   The usual--school, work, school at work, CrossFit kids for ds, leftovers for supper (bean soup, cornbread, quesadillas, take yer pick).  DD starts her first job today!  Granted, it's where I work, only  1-3 hours at a time, and I or the director will be available anytime she needs us, but this is big for her!  She has filled in for me before, but only for a few minutes at a time.

• Like 5

Good morning.

We've got a cold going through the family.

Dh was a grouch yesterday which always happens when he is sick. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

My neck is hurting again.  Same place as the first time. Going to walk more today to loosen it up before it gets worse. 

Lots of drafting planned for this week. Next week is busy with a lot of work, the holiday, and a birthday for the turtles. They will be 16! And yet, I still have my hair.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning! I have no reactions left. I'm not ready for it to be Monday.

Monday Zombies. It's a thing.

Again. We've all been over this. Reset your reactions. PRIORITIES PEOPLE! PRIIIIIOOOORITIEEES!

• Haha 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Monday!!!

I am dreading this week and I need to stop. Scheduling family visits this Learning Period was extremely difficult and I will be seeing 15 families Tuesday-Friday. And these people are very nice and the visits are all very pleasant.... I don’t know why I dread this. I think it’s because I would just rather be home. And I hate leaving the little girls home. They are fine. There are two of them, middle DD is almost 11 and they are generally only home alone about an hour or two before oldest DD comes home from school. We live in an extremely quiet neighborhood and my mom lives 5 minutes away. But I feel guilty. And my job is just overwhelming. Everyone tells me the first year is horrible, it gets much better in year two, and I believe it, but I still need to get through this year.

• Like 6

(((Maize and family))) Here's hoping this sickness passes quickly.

(((Krissi))) One day at a time. Any more than that ios paralyzing. What needs to happen *today*? You can do this.

Slache, are you better?

• Like 4

Sheesh, people, why aren't we all taking a vacay to the Island this week? Seems like we're all a mess!

Wait, there's a qualified, natural birth supporting OB on staff, right? (One that will give me drugs when I decide this whole natural birth thing is a crock, which always happens right around transition.)

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Paradox: Can you just maybe pick 1-2 math problems to make sure it's mastered, then move on? Then you can slow down and teach when you get far enough to where she's being challenged. What level are you in? I might've missed that info and I'm too busy today to go back and search. Wow, maybe we should be doing Saxon because CLE 4 is going way too fast for Oldest. I THOUGHT Saxon moved faster which is why we chose to stay with CLE this year. We're not even done with unit 3 yet because I had to stop everything and have him practice longer before moving forward or it'll just snowball. CLE has already moved into multiplying by double digits and long division! Oldest was getting too overwhelmed. I'm definitely taking on the "curriculum is my servant, not my master" mantra.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

The trick doesn't work for me. I am trickless.

I'm sorry. That stinks. I've never run out of reactions before so I don't know if it'll work for me or not.

• Like 2

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

After reading some threads last week, I feel like I need to try to put more effort into homeschooling.

I kind of had to regroup because this autumn has been kind of crazy.  I almost never travel, but this fall I have taken 5 overnight trips to 5 different states.  I think. Now I'm home and I need to get life put back in order.

Dd17's homeschooling was my main priority so far this year.  She is on track to graduate in May.  Last night I finished writing out her assignments for the rest of the school year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

I hope everyone who is feeling sick, achy, or down feels better soon.

Happy Monday!   The sink at the science center is clogged.  Drano isn't working so dh has to snake it out later today.   I'm keeping things clean and dry with my classes today.  Which won't be hard, one is study skills which is already paper based.  One is Physics and were doing some spring tests so not too messy there.  One is a Junior Science but I decided we'll do some programming so that will keep that one neat.  Hopefully dh gets it fixed today because I can't go on like that all week.  At some point I'll have dishes to wash.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Slache said:

I sink so.

Good. You're still top of the leaderboad. The main one. How did I end up on there? I'm used to occasionally being on the daily one, but the MAIN one?! That's new.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

(((Servant))) Do you feel better after having some coffee?

No. I couldn't even finish my cup. My stomach is still doing cartwheels and I'm really tired without a good reason to be, imo. Nothing beyond that, though, so I guess it could be worse. It's not like I can't function, just slow moving. Hope I'm not coming down with something. It's awful when the whole family comes down sick, as it's rarely ever just one member. It starts with one and then usually has to make its way through the house before going away.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Sad 1

It's interesting how kids vary on the nursery thing. I was a "straight for the toys" kid. DS, no way. I remember his three-year-old check-up. His ped was going down the checklist (car seat, food groups, dental care) and she got to stranger danger/good touch, bad touch. He was behind me clinging and crying because she (very nice lady, same ped he'd had since birth) was in the exam room with us, and she had to speak up so I could hear her. I was like, "I don't really think he's going to wander off with somebody at this point...." DH went with him to Sunday school every week for the 4s and kindy classes.

• Like 3

I completely failed in every aspect of my life this year so I'm doing the Bible in a year next year so I don't have to plan or think. I'm trying to transition out of surviving into thriving. I want a treadmill.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Slache said:

I completely failed in every aspect of my life this year so I'm doing the Bible in a year next year so I don't have to plan or think. I'm trying to transition out of surviving into thriving. I want a treadmill.

I did this a couple years back and chose to read the Bible in chronological order and learned soooo much.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Slache said:

I don’t think you did, Slashie. You are alive, your family is intact and from what I can tell, reasonably happy and healthy. You seem to have maintained your humor and sensibilities. You’ve had some big changes and some difficulties, but overall, I think you have done very well!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I don’t think you did, Slashie. You are alive, your family is intact and from what I can tell, reasonably happy and healthy. You seem to have maintained your humor and sensibilities. You’ve had some big changes and some difficulties, but overall, I think you have done very well!!

What she said.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I did this a couple years back and chose to read the Bible in chronological order and learned soooo much.

I did this when I injured my back. I did the Bible in 90 days in chronological order. Whew!

27 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

:wub:

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

What she said.

:wub:

Thanks guys.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good point.

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Neither! Resetting your reactions! Where's your priorities? 😂

Brilliant!

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

In reality, I think I agree with this but for a different reason. I like to get all the hard to fold stuff done early because I'm picky about how things are folded. I'd save the "no brainer" easy to fold stuff for later so if needed, anyone can help fold them when I run our of steam.

Actually, even more brilliant!!!

4 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

People use me up every day!  Lol!  That's why I have to say I can't listen anymore at 8pm.  

Same.  But can I be done at noon?

3 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Sheesh, people, why aren't we all taking a vacay to the Island this week? Seems like we're all a mess!

Wait, there's a qualified, natural birth supporting OB on staff, right? (One that will give me drugs when I decide this whole natural birth thing is a crock, which always happens right around transition.)

Yes for the Island!  Yes to drugs!  

3 hours ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

After reading some threads last week, I feel like I need to try to put more effort into homeschooling.

I kind of had to regroup because this autumn has been kind of crazy.  I almost never travel, but this fall I have taken 5 overnight trips to 5 different states.  I think. Now I'm home and I need to get life put back in order.

Dd17's homeschooling was my main priority so far this year.  She is on track to graduate in May.  Last night I finished writing out her assignments for the rest of the school year.

That's a lot of traveling!  Yay for senior year planning!  Trophies!!!  🏆🏆

55 minutes ago, Slache said:

I want a treadmill and a dedicated room for it.  And a mud room.  And a laundry room.  And an extra bedroom.  How did we get from failing to renovating my house?  You're not failing - it's a wonder you don't have PTSD from all you guys have done this year.  If it makes you feel better, I don't think I can claim progress in any personal category, and I don't even have little ones anymore.  Well, maybe I've grown in "acceptance."  😂  I'm not sure that's the one I should be shooting for, lol.    

• Like 5

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Monday!!!

I am dreading this week and I need to stop. Scheduling family visits this Learning Period was extremely difficult and I will be seeing 15 families Tuesday-Friday. And these people are very nice and the visits are all very pleasant.... I don’t know why I dread this. I think it’s because I would just rather be home. And I hate leaving the little girls home. They are fine. There are two of them, middle DD is almost 11 and they are generally only home alone about an hour or two before oldest DD comes home from school. We live in an extremely quiet neighborhood and my mom lives 5 minutes away. But I feel guilty. And my job is just overwhelming. Everyone tells me the first year is horrible, it gets much better in year two, and I believe it, but I still need to get through this year.

You can do it!  The girls will be fine and they will enjoy the opportunity to be more responsible.  You're doing a great job!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I want a treadmill and a dedicated room for it.  And a mud room.  And a laundry room.  And an extra bedroom.  How did we get from failing to renovating my house?  You're not failing - it's a wonder you don't have PTSD from all you guys have done this year.  If it makes you feel better, I don't think I can claim progress in any personal category, and I don't even have little ones anymore.  Well, maybe I've grown in "acceptance."  😂  I'm not sure that's the one I should be shooting for, lol.    

You have like 4 extra rooms that we all talked about after leaving that none of us know what they're for. Use one of those.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Slache said:

You have not. Stop it.

Dh mentioned wanting me to look up treadmills...thanks for the reminder...🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Renai said:

Dh mentioned wanting me to look up treadmills...thanks for the reminder...

Not you too! Ugh! You're all making me feel like a lazy sloth for not getting all "YIPPEE!" for exercise. I'm pretty sure I could get more exercise cleaning my house than I would on a giant treadmill. Upbeat music I can dance to while doing said cleaning is the key.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

Oldest is writing! Oldest is writing! Oldest is actually WRITING!!!! And he's not even whining about it! I gave him a different direction to take and gave him a ton of leeway. He can choose any topic he wants, real or fiction doesn't matter. I want 1 paragraph with a good topic sentence. First sentence must be indented, stay inside the paper margins, space every other line so it can be edited tomorrow, and spelling doesn't matter because tomorrow is edit, rewrite, and illustrate day.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

What's on the menu tonight? I need ideas. With my stomach doing gymnastics, nothing is even remotely appealing to me but the rest of the family will still be hungry at dinnertime.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

Not you too! Ugh! You're all making me feel like a lazy sloth for not getting all "YIPPEE!" for exercise. I'm pretty sure I could get more exercise cleaning my house than I would on a giant treadmill. Upbeat music I can dance to while doing said cleaning is the key.

Did you not notice the rolled eyes emoji at the end of my comment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What's on the menu tonight? I need ideas. With my stomach doing gymnastics, nothing is even remotely appealing to me but the rest of the family will still be hungry at dinnertime.

In theory, French lentils and mushrooms. I need to make sure to start cooking on time. In retrospect... I could've just now cooked the lentils during quiet time. Oops.

• Like 4

Charging along, getting things done. About to start cooking with one boy, but the other one is making his own homemade French Fries, and he gets grumpy if I get in his way in the kitchen.

Dinner is brisket, roast potatoes, and caramel apples for dessert.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Charging along, getting things done. About to start cooking with one boy, but the other one is making his own homemade French Fries, and he gets grumpy if I get in his way in the kitchen.

Dinner is brisket, roast potatoes, and caramel apples for dessert.

I can honestly say I've never cooked a brisket, but it sounds good and every picture I've seen of one looks good too!

40 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Dinner dilemma solved. They asked for leftovers. It's rare for us to have enough leftovers for a meal, I know, but what a blessing! I don't have to cook tonight!

We eat leftovers about half the time. It is a part of our family culture that came about due to my chronic nausea which leaves me unable to cook much of the time. It's also cheaper.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

We eat leftovers about half the time. It is a part of our family culture that came about due to my chronic nausea which leaves me unable to cook much of the time. It's also cheaper.

The majority of the time, leftovers (if there are any) are eaten for lunch the next day. New meals are cooked in the evening. It makes getting lunch ready so much easier (ahem, faster) during the day.