Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Well, looks like this thing is the Real Deal wind wise for our house, they have closed dd's college and booted everyone out, so full prep underway and then we have to go prep the Old People in Houston who want to wait until the last minute so "we don't do a lot of work for nothing!" and don't realize they are old. And we're all out of later. Gotta love parents. When did they become the procrastinators and we become the lecturers on preparation?! 😂

Anyway, I am logging off to deal with all of this and switching my screen time to Twitter and Weather forecasts for the next 48 hours. Just posting this here so no one will think we blew away and died. 🙂 Later gators. 

Stay safe!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I prematurely evacuated the Hive. 😂

They still don't know anything. And I forgot what a dumpster fire Twitter was and it's become even more obnoxious with "suggested"- I just can't do it right now. It makes the sea look like a Kumbaya sing a long. Now they're saying "we'll know more by tomorrow!" Again.  Eventually it'll just hit and then we'll know I guess. 

I cancelled our dentist appointments for tomorrow begrudgingly because they can't reschedule us until NOVEMBER. How insane is that. But dh went out and said traffic is crazy, people are crazy, and everything is packed so I don't want to go out if I don't have to. And we have to be able to evacuate the old people- even though we are closer to the water than they are by a lot- but you never know what old people will do during a storm. I can just see my dad being like "let's go unclog the storm drain from that 6' oak limb!" to his equally old neighbors at 2am in the middle of it, and he's not such a stable walker these days, much less with wind. So if we can get them here and keep an eye on them that would be good probably, but they're probably going to be stubborn. 

Youngest is being incredibly good natured about having another birthday hurricane. I delayed cake pick up until Saturday. Things should be all over and done with by then. 

Sorry y'all are having a rough day Slache and Spuds. Glad your books showed up though Bagels. 

No unnecessary journeys!  Don't swim in the sea!  

Seriously, stay safe.  Follow the rules!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I prematurely evacuated the Hive. 😂

They still don't know anything. And I forgot what a dumpster fire Twitter was and it's become even more obnoxious with "suggested"- I just can't do it right now. It makes the sea look like a Kumbaya sing a long. Now they're saying "we'll know more by tomorrow!" Again.  Eventually it'll just hit and then we'll know I guess. 

I cancelled our dentist appointments for tomorrow begrudgingly because they can't reschedule us until NOVEMBER. How insane is that. But dh went out and said traffic is crazy, people are crazy, and everything is packed so I don't want to go out if I don't have to. And we have to be able to evacuate the old people- even though we are closer to the water than they are by a lot- but you never know what old people will do during a storm. I can just see my dad being like "let's go unclog the storm drain from that 6' oak limb!" to his equally old neighbors at 2am in the middle of it, and he's not such a stable walker these days, much less with wind. So if we can get them here and keep an eye on them that would be good probably, but they're probably going to be stubborn. 

Youngest is being incredibly good natured about having another birthday hurricane. I delayed cake pick up until Saturday. Things should be all over and done with by then. 

Sorry y'all are having a rough day Slache and Spuds. Glad your books showed up though Bagels. 

Boo - stupid Weather.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, whitehawk said:

I did think of this, but... it's hard because they can't dine in in their area, they don't have child care to go out without Miss 7, and I'm at the mercy of Yelp et al. to know what's good in their town. Ooh! But scout popcorn comes in a tin! And the guy is a former scout. Maybe that.

I love moose munch!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Well that's a fair point. You'd want to know if they're plant people. I am not, but seem like most people we know like plants. So we can sent an orchid or something and that's usually a 👍 for occasions. 

I guess you don't want the Pheasant I was going to send you for your birthday. Harumph. You're so hard to please. 

ETA- It's a No Pheasants for Slache Booyah! 

#NOH

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Morning.  We're on plan so far today.  Woke the kids up.  In an hour we go to the science center to workout, then home for school/chores/work on classes, the TKD this evening, picking up pizza on the way home.  

I don't think I've ever had a day this planned out.

So, y'all know the saying about Best Laid Plans....and all that? 

Kids did get up.  We did go to the science center to work out.  You would have thought ds was dying with all the moaning and groaning doing some yoga.  Then did some school. Dd started crying doing math even though it was a teeny, tiny bit of math, then her leg kept cramping and hurt so no TKD.   Dh came home from his moms so we had delivery pizza instead of pick-up pizza. 

I prefer plants to flowers, but they need to be easy plants like little dish gardens of philodendrons or something.  I've been gifted things like orchids (sorry Texan!) or amaryllis that are super hard to keep alive, so I generally don't.  Keep them alive, that is.    But philodendrons or succulent dish gardens are super easy since you can neglect them most of the time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

They stopped the recycling program here months ago, and so we had some of our recycling bins sitting beside where we keep the garbage cans, top down to not collect water for mosquitos- they've been sitting idle since then. We didn't put them in the barn so they wouldn't provide a critter home in there. Well, dh flipped it over to bring it in the garage so they wouldn't blow away,  and there was a rats nest in it complete with mom and babies. I guess it doesn't need to be in a barn to provide a critter home, lol.

Pretty sure I can justify dessert calories tonight as fast as I sprinted into the house. 😂 Surely I burned off a few there. 

@whitehawk- what about a plant of some sort a florist can deliver? Liquor? Liquor and a plant? 

There is no appropriate reaction for this.  We need a "shocked" reaction.  At least a willy-nilly or a svengo!  Yes, I'm sure you burned a maximum calorie count after that!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

I did think of this, but... it's hard because they can't dine in in their area, they don't have child care to go out without Miss 7, and I'm at the mercy of Yelp et al. to know what's good in their town. Ooh! But scout popcorn comes in a tin! And the guy is a former scout. Maybe that.

Matching Tin face masks.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Are you buying right now and I missed it? Or do you mean you remember from buying the one you're in and don't want to do it again?

(Now I feel like Gandalf when Bilbo says good morning to him in The Hobbit - "What do you mean?" 😂😂😂)

Oh no. We bought a year and a half ago. But it still feels a little odd sometimes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spudater said:

Do you guys say something when other moms start the one upping of 'I'm so mean, my kids only get two hours a week screen time.". "Oh you think you're mean, my kids only get one and they have to earn it." "Well, my kids don't even have screens. They play with toys they made themselves from twigs and organic hemp flour .". I kinda feel like saying, "I'm weak as a kitten and my kids get hours a day, you can judge for yourself if they're brainless monsters."

"Of course they do!"

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Spudater said:

You guys are an exception. There's magic ITT sparkle dust or something.  You're so kind.

Some of us are really awesome or at least competent at some things and terrible at other things that some are awesome at and we are at peace with that knowledge. We strive to do what we can and beyond that we rely on coffee, tea, chocolate, haiku, cranky pantz, booyahs, and the ITT staff.

Plus we love you.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Do you guys say something when other moms start the one upping of 'I'm so mean, my kids only get two hours a week screen time.". "Oh you think you're mean, my kids only get one and they have to earn it." "Well, my kids don't even have screens. They play with toys they made themselves from twigs and organic hemp flour .". I kinda feel like saying, "I'm weak as a kitten and my kids get hours a day, you can judge for yourself if they're brainless monsters."

I must be a really mean mom, because no one gets into these conversations with me.  I guess they're afraid that I'll trump all of them?  Or maybe I just forget.  It's been a while since I've seen people IRL.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Spudater said:

My kids watch waaaay too much tv.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Spudater said:

You guys are an exception. There's magic ITT sparkle dust or something.  You're so kind.

27 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Some of us are really awesome or at least competent at some things and terrible at other things that some are awesome at and we are at peace with that knowledge. We strive to do what we can and beyond that we rely on coffee, tea, chocolate, haiku, cranky pantz, booyahs, and the ITT staff.

Plus we love you.

What Susan said.

• Like 2

Well, I went to the Awana Committee meeting. But we’re not doing Awana this year. I’m glad. I was a little tired of Awana.   And, DD’s school had their court case today and the judge ruled in our favor, so we get to stay open and have in-person classes. So glad. The kids need to be in school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Humph Day!!!!

Gotta get some serious work done today. Spent yesterday putting out fires and didn’t get two big things done that I really need to.

School is going well with the girls. We are loving Apologia’s Botany book. Lots of hands-on stuff that is pretty easy to do. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Humph Day!!!!

Gotta get some serious work done today. Spent yesterday putting out fires and didn’t get two big things done that I really need to.

School is going well with the girls. We are loving Apologia’s Botany book. Lots of hands-on stuff that is pretty easy to do. 

I hate doing science experiments.  (I know, Toto.  I know.) Maybe I should look at the Botany book and see if there's anything we can do in the backyard this fall.  

• Like 2

Good morning!

Is Houston evacuating?

Puppy was restless last night.  Really, a basketcase all evening, though he may not have gotten enough active playtime to get out his energy.  Dh is taking puppy to the vet for shots and I'm taking Ds15 to a cello lesson this morning with a substitute teacher - his regular teacher is having cancer treatment and needs to suspend her teaching schedule until she knows how her body will react to treatment and feels up to teaching.  She arranged lessons for ds with this teacher for a few weeks at least, which was really sweet of her.  And we have to go into The Big City, but not during rush hour traffic, so that's nice.

Later, between storytime/history lesson and dinner I need to go grocery shopping.  Probably alone, in the rain. 😭

Coffee!

• Like 2