Menu

Ignore this thread!

Morning.  Woke up before the alarm again.  Evidently somewhere around 7am is the spot where I wake up on my own.   6:30am feels way too early and I can't seem to stay in bed past 7:30am.   Now if only the rest of my life would work around that schedule. 

Open House today.  Should be interesting.  

• Like 4

Good morning.

I have to figure out some workspace rearrangements for the kids.

The trouble we are having is that several of my kids find it very hard to focus of there are other people doing stuff nearby.

But my kids have more of their work on  computers this year and dh doesn't want any computers in bedrooms.

We have the living room, kitchen, and playroom to work with. The playroom is really our semi-converted garage which might be kind of chilly in the winter. And is also short on windows--I prefer the kids have natural light.

I need to talk to the kids and see what they think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maize said:

Good morning.

I have to figure out some workspace rearrangements for the kids.

The trouble we are having is that several of my kids find it very hard to focus of there are other people doing stuff nearby.

But my kids have more of their work on  computers this year and dh doesn't want any computers in bedrooms.

We have the living room, kitchen, and playroom to work with. The playroom is really our semi-converted garage which might be kind of chilly in the winter. And is also short on windows--I prefer the kids have natural light.

I need to talk to the kids and see what they think.

We have ordered ear protection for DS (like for shooting ranges)--the washing machine is about 10 feet from the school table and the neighbors have noisy toddlers sometimes out front during school hours, and after several years' practice, he is still not really able to tune out background noise.

I wonder if you can also do some kind of visual barrier for your kids, like a foldable study carrel thing.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

All the back and forth banter between me and Slachie was the best kind of distraction. I learned so much ITT lingo, too. It was like breaking the master code to a hidden language here!  🤣

#pointsforquotingmyself

ITT really is the place to be!,

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Well my verdict after nearly two weeks since starting is I have enough time for homeschooling, baby, and feeding everyone. I just need to cut dishes, laundry, housework, appointment s, outside commitment s, exercise, and going pee.

Sounds do-able to me, as long as you can squeeze in time to pee.  Maybe consult FlyLady on that.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Well my verdict after nearly two weeks since starting is I have enough time for homeschooling, baby, and feeding everyone. I just need to cut dishes, laundry, housework, appointment s, outside commitment s, exercise, and going pee.

Yes. Or you can stop feeding everyone except baby and start peeing again instead. #priorities

Also, a good reply for the mommy good food wars:  “My kids can eat whatever they can fix for themselves!”  

🤣

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Also, a good reply for the mommy good food wars:  “My kids can eat whatever they can fix for themselves!”  

I can just hear the responses I'd get for this. "I see, well in my family we choose to make healthy eating a priority." "Ah, I thought you put more effort in than that." "Wow, ok. I guess if that's how you choose to parent." I can just see it. And I know who would say it. Now I'm angry.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I was really sensitive about mommy wars things when I joined ITT. Almost everyone in my life had either not had children or graduated to grandmotherhood and I felt judgement at every turn. My choice to limit screens was an insult. My choice to homeschool was controlling. When I changed my family's diet to accommodate my health I was selfish. Then I joined ITT and it was totally different. A lot of you even strongly disagree with my methods but you don't care. It's unlike any place I've ever been. My church now is like that though. They all do public school and don't feel like I'm a jerk for homeschooling, or homeschool with Abeka and don't care that I don't. It's wonderful.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

The mommy food wars go splat once your kids are past elementary IME.

This makes sense. I have so much control over them because they're little, but that'll pass soon, so what bragging rights will I have if they go over to a friend's house and have pizza not made entirely of cauliflower?

15 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I could've written this post almost verbatim.

I'm sorry.

• Like 3

I remember when John did something wrong at church because he misunderstood and I clarified and told him not to do it again. I was told I needed to make discipline a higher priority. Smacking a child for not knowing what they did wrong is not discipline, it's abuse. I should have said that. He was like 3, too. We stayed at that church way too long.

• Sad 4

25 minutes ago, Slache said:

I was told I needed to make discipline a higher priority.

The person speaking didn't happen to know any Latin, I suppose!

As I've said to a friend (the one whose anniversary is coming up), discipline should be a whole toolbox; punishments are just different kinds of hammers.

It's nice that you're somewhere better now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Slache said:

Are you still doing CAP?

No, we are taking a break. We finished our book waaaay early last year so I got a couple of CLE Bible Light Units. It’s a nice change. The girls like them. The only problem I have with them is that we are Calvinist and CLE is not at all Calvinist, so I have a few theological bones to pick with them, but other than that we are fine.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

No, we are taking a break. We finished our book waaaay early last year so I got a couple of CLE Bible Light Units. It’s a nice change. The girls like them. The only problem I have with them is that we are Calvinist and CLE is not at all Calvinist, so I have a few theological bones to pick with them, but other than that we are fine.

Yes, we're doing CLE this year.

4 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Folks, Angi is out. of. control.🤣

I've reported her 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I was on Pinterest today, looking up quotes for my new vision wall, and I found a whole bunch about being strong and what toxic looks like, etc etc etc. They made me sad. I can't cut the toxic out of my life completely, but there's a real shortage of practical advice for "This situation sucks and a lot of the suck is totally up to another person to change and no, cutting it off isn't the answer, so do this." I get the encouragement to just hold boundaries or leave, but that advice doesn't really apply here.

I'm kind of bitter, too.

Dave's meeting was worse than expected, but not as bad as it could be. Thank you for your prayers.

I think I'm going to go to bed early.

Love and peace and joy to each of you. You deserve it.

(((Bookie)))

• Like 3

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

The mommy food wars go splat once your kids are past elementary IME. (Or maybe people just hush when I tell them the truth? IDK, I haven't had a conversation IRL with a mom I don't know in quite a while now.)

I think this is true.  I rarely discuss the kids eating habits these days, people don't care when they're teenagers.     Although there are still the diet discussions - keto, vegetarian, etc.

Today I wore a bra for only the third time since March.   

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I was really sensitive about mommy wars things when I joined ITT. Almost everyone in my life had either not had children or graduated to grandmotherhood and I felt judgement at every turn. My choice to limit screens was an insult. My choice to homeschool was controlling. When I changed my family's diet to accommodate my health I was selfish. Then I joined ITT and it was totally different. A lot of you even strongly disagree with my methods but you don't care. It's unlike any place I've ever been. My church now is like that though. They all do public school and don't feel like I'm a jerk for homeschooling, or homeschool with Abeka and don't care that I don't. It's wonderful.

That's really wonderful about your church.  My former church (the "parent" church of current church) was made of primarily homeschooling families and I was horrified when I found out some kids were made to feel a little awkward or embarrassed for going to public school.  We made discussions about educational choices a priority after that.  Our current church is primarily public or private schooled.  

• Like 2

I ordered a couple things from ThredUp.  We shall see how that goes.  Since my thrift store closed this summer, I feel a little lost about shopping.  There's another thrift store not far from here that was recommended by a friend that I will also visit soon.  

There's a tiny storm blowing through and puppy is going nuts.  Sigh.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

That's really wonderful about your church.  My former church (the "parent" church of current church) was made of primarily homeschooling families and I was horrified when I found out some kids were made to feel a little awkward or embarrassed for going to public school.  We made discussions about educational choices a priority after that.  Our current church is primarily public or private schooled.  

Yeah, I've had a lot of parents essentially apologize to me for sending their kids to school. It's like ... They will ask me where my kids go and when I say I homeschool they give me a list of reasons why they can't. Like we are so used to attacking each other they have to jump in with a defensive. I'll be honest, I absolutely hate Public Schools, but I don't really care where you send your kid.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I've lived in them (suffered in them) almost 24/7 for the last 2 years. And nursing pads. Otherwise I spring leaks. #suffocating

:jaw drop:

I'm not really for or against bras. They're just one of those things that come with being female. Personally, I've always been modest and self conscious enough to prefer them. However, it would be nice to not have to wear them with my PJs. And don't get me started on the woes of nursing pads or I will laser glare hot enough to fry eggs.

I'm slightly over 200 pounds and still barely a B cup.  So bras aren't actually essential.   I wore one when I interviewed for my new teacher position and for my two open houses.  I do wear them when I teach.   And used to wear them to church.  But that's about it.   Usually you can't tell whether I'm wearing one or not.  For real, I know because my older daughter would say something if she realized I wasn't wearing one  😜 and I meet up with her every other day or so to workout (yes, I can workout without a bra).   

Nursing (and now) I wear camisole tops.  Snug enough to hold nursing pads when they were needed. 

I do like grilled cheese.   My gramma used to make it with Velveeta.  Now we use white american cheese.

• Like 4

I'm brand new here and just figured I would plunge into the most active and perhaps random thread 🙂  I've been reading through the last few pages- what is ITT? 

Four boys here - DS7, DS5, DS3, and DS 6 months. I've always considered homeschooling and checked out WTM from my local library 4 years ago - but my husband was not on board until COVID. So we're taking a year by year approach and started this "year" in July. I'm loving it so far! Although things are tricky with keeping DS3 from concussing himself daily and the 6 month old alive and happy...

Anyway, just happy to be here and wanted to say hi!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, keeperofthekeys said:

I'm brand new here and just figured I would plunge into the most active and perhaps random thread 🙂  I've been reading through the last few pages- what is ITT? 

Four boys here - DS7, DS5, DS3, and DS 6 months. I've always considered homeschooling and checked out WTM from my local library 4 years ago - but my husband was not on board until COVID. So we're taking a year by year approach and started this "year" in July. I'm loving it so far! Although things are tricky with keeping DS3 from concussing himself daily and the 6 month old alive and happy...

Anyway, just happy to be here and wanted to say hi!

Welcome Keeper!

ITT comes from the original title of the thread--Ignore This Thread.

As you can see, we didn't follow instructions very well 🤣

Now ITT is the awesomest most welcoming group of friends anywhere on the net. Also weird, quirky, and sometimes loud.

Come on in, we'll introduce you to the staff. I'll let someone else do that though cause I get them mixed up 😉

• Like 4