Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Monday!!!😩😩😩😩

DS has a dentist appointment today. 
it’s going to be 22 degrees cooler today than Saturday.
Lots to do for work today.

I ordered 5 books off Amazon. Three are off a summer reading list my IRL-BFF senT me and t the other two are books I have felt I need to read - that Churchill biography by Erik Larson everyone is talking about and “A Gathering Storm“ by Al Mohler. I am finishing up “Castles Burning” by Magda Denes. Her books (I’ve read two this year) or I should say her writing, is what I’ve been looking for the past two years. It sucks you in and wrings you out and leave you gasping for breath. This particular book is a memoir. She is a Hungarian Jew who grew up in Hungary and lived  through WWII. She was 10 at the time Of the war. She was an extremely precocious child, brilliant and very perceptive. The book is just.... hard to describe. 

• Like 4

I guess I only posted this morning in my head.  I had coffee on the go because swim times are early this week - this week only.  Then next week I think we'll have one early swim time and one afternoon swim time.  

Dental po:  Two dc have check ups tomorrow and one on Wednesday.  

Ed Po:  I have 4 books in my Rainbow Resource wish list.  I'm also expecting a used American History text to get here today, which may or may not effect my RR cart.  I already ordered Brit Lit selections for ds from Amazon.  And I got a math book to look at for youngest a couple weeks ago, but now I need to decide if I want the Teacher's Guide or not.  

• Like 3

Dropped my pc off for repair again.  Turns out we bought a service plan for this pc (because it was something like my fourth in five years to break) so they are sending it out for repair or equivalent replacement if it can't be fixed.   Great news, except it's going to take 2-3 weeks. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I guess I only posted this morning in my head.  I had coffee on the go because swim times are early this week - this week only.  Then next week I think we'll have one early swim time and one afternoon swim time.  

Dental po:  Two dc have check ups tomorrow and one on Wednesday.  

Ed Po:  I have 4 books in my Rainbow Resource wish list.  I'm also expecting a used American History text to get here today, which may or may not effect my RR cart.  I already ordered Brit Lit selections for ds from Amazon.  And I got a math book to look at for youngest a couple weeks ago, but now I need to decide if I want the Teacher's Guide or not.  

Teacher’s Guide for what, exactly?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I let my scraggly cilantro flower and now I have about 17 coriander seeds to harvest!  I have no idea what to do with coriander, but it feels very Gourmet and sophisticated. 

You are very sophisticated  And   gourmet. Baby used coriander with cumin last night in seasoning meat for these Moroccan kefta roll thingies she made last night for dinner. They were very tasty. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

You are very sophisticated  And   gourmet. Baby used coriander with cumin last night in seasoning meat for these Moroccan kefta roll thingies she made last night for dinner. They were very tasty. 

Moroccan kefta rolls - So Freaking Fancy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

Teacher’s Guide for what, exactly?

BJU math grade 7.  I'm not typically attracted to BJU materials - too class-room-ish for my tastes.  But I do kinda like the looks of this math book - I like that it's a good covering of elementary math, touches on pre-algebra but doesn't focus on it more than fractions, decimals, etc, and I like the order of the topics covered.  I need to decide if having the TG would help me or if it would just stress me out more by giving me too much info.  (I'm thinking maybe the latter.)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

We got 4 inches of rain in 2 hours.  Major gullywasher.  My mandolin teacher said he watered his garden this morning, so it was bound to rain! 😂😭

Four inches of rain?? That’s half as much as we got all last winter.🌧🌊

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

We need rain. But not gullywashers. The pumpkins and watermelons are getting huge now.  I made and ate pie. It wasn't fancy, but it was good. I have to work tomorrow and possibly a few more days this week. 

Pumpkin hand-holding needed!

So our pumpkin vines seem to be growing very well, but we are only getting male flowers so far.  Will we eventually get female flowers?  

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

I flossed; now my teeth hurt in a throbbing pain way. It doesn't matter how much I floss, my gums never "toughen up". They still hurt and bleed.

I need to make dental appointments for everyone tomorrow. Y'all don't let me forget. 

We are finally set for all the appointments that were cancelled in the spring. Got three of them for next week.

• Thanks 2

I did some things in my absence. I've set up a drive by baby shower for my daughter, and created a FB private group for attendees and non attendees (like family out of state) for live gift opening. I ordered some things. Dh teased me and said I was grandmothering. Or at least, that's how I interpreted his Spanish.

Work has picked up. I opened up a couple of online immersion Spanish prek classes for summer camp, then opened a couple more, then a couple more...and a couple more. I can't meet the demand, and I won't wear myself out though. Gymnast wants to help me when I do the lemonade and the ice cream classes, too. That should be fun! She doesn't know that I'll pay her as my assistant. 🙂

I should go to bed now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I have attempted BJU Math 7 several times with all 4 older boys. The explanations are horrible and not enough review of past concepts. We also did not like some of the topics and ended up skipping over half the book. Mine rmembered nothing after using it. If you use it, yes, you want the TG. It has very little in the way of guidence for you to teach the lessons as all the teaching really is in the student books, but it contains full solutions to all the problems, helps on how to assign work via 3 paths, and some other stuff I can't remember right now that made it worth the used price of $35 I paid. Skip the tests-- they are truely horrible. Skip the "Enrichment " or whatever they call it book. The text itself has way more than you need.

Well, that's not the endorsement I was hoping for, lol.  I did notice the 3 different options for assigning problems in the sample pages of the TG, but I might be able to decide assignments on my own.  And I suppose having answers at the ready would be the biggest convenience, but it's not like I'm teaching lots of little ones anymore.  Did you guys do the Cumulative Reviews?  I was hoping that would be sufficient review.  We used to do CLE and I love how open and go it is, but here on the eve of algebra I thought we would switch to a text that is organized by topics to make sure we're making connections within different areas.  And I was hoping the Cumulative Review would make up for the fact that it's not spiral.  As for the Activity Book, I'm sure it's lovely, but there are only so many hours in a day, so I already ruled it out.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

I think I may still own a hairdryer around here somewhere.  

I don't.  I think we let oldest dd take it when she went away to college.  In 2012.  I don't ever blow dry my hair.

Morning.  We had a fox show up on our Ring at 3am.    That's like 4 days in a row something set it off at 3am, but the first fox.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I don't.  I think we let oldest dd take it when she went away to college.  In 2012.  I don't ever blow dry my hair.

Mine is probably a fire hazard at this point.  I don’t know the last time I used it.  Maybe Lebanon, PA in our old house where the bathroom was freezing in the winter? I bring it with me every time I move, but I have thin flat hair so I don’t need it, really.

• Like 2

Good morning!

Today is my oldest's birthday - ds is 25!  Svengo! We had birthday breakfast and played the Epic Birthday Song.

I need to make a Tackle List for the day.  Think I can find Jeanie's post?  Probably not - I'm too lazy.  Finish meal planning grocery list. Put away jam in pantry (this involves some shelf organization and pantry tidying which is why I have been avoiding it). Practice mandolin.  Sneaky Edpo - Avert yer eyeballs: Start Literature planning. Call horse camp place.

Coffee!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Today is my oldest's birthday - ds is 25!  Svengo! We had birthday breakfast and played the Epic Birthday Song.

I need to make a Tackle List for the day.  Think I can find Jeanie's post?  Probably not - I'm too lazy.  Finish meal planning grocery list. Put away jam in pantry (this involves some shelf organization and pantry tidying which is why I have been avoiding it). Practice mandolin.  Sneaky Edpo - Avert yer eyeballs: Start Literature planning. Call horse camp place.

Coffee!

Svengo!  Happy Birthday DS of Susan! 🎉🎉

• Thanks 1

Dd16 finished her essay.

The kids are now watching Star Wars Episode IV as a reward. Somehowt they'venever seen the original trilogy--this must be remedied immediately!

May The Force Be With You Booyah!

Edited by maize
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Coffee!

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

Happy Nirthday, elder child of Lynn!  

Susan!  (But I take as a great compliment that you confused us!)  ❤️

48 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Help! I cannot find   
Story of the World Vol. 4    
Where, oh where where where?!?!

Under the bed?  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

In the front hall closet behind the soccer ball.

This would be good - if we owned a soccer ball and had a front hall closet!  Lol.

It's not the book I need so much as the read-alouds and literature assignments for various reading levels that I have penciled in the table of contents and margins.  Oy.  I remember taking it out last summer to pencil in the chapter that would coincide with CaddIe Woodlawn.  I have probably been staring at it for the past year until I can't see it any more.  I've gone through the School Supply Pantry of Doom, and the lesson cubbies, and the Living room book baskets, and my bookshelf and the upstairs book shelves.  I suspect it ended up under someone's bed in buried in a closet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1