Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

So glad dancer was able to go home!  

The kitchen has been tidied and the jars are going through the dishwasher now, so I have a couple hours to eat, ITT, and prep rhubarb and strawberries for jam.  Dd13 is tea-staining a journal and said this morning that she wants to use it for a story, but she needs dd17 to do the actual  story-writing.  😄

Coffee!

• Like 2

Just now, Servant4Christ said:

Best as I can tell, rhubarb is a Northeastern thing. I'm from the South and had never even heard of it until I moved North. Celery family, but pink and green in color. Super duper sour and needs lots of sugar and/or other sweet fruit mixed with it to make it even remotely palatable. But it happens to be in my yard and I refuse to let it go to waste, so I've found ways to use it that our family enjoys.

Southern produce I miss are figs. Yummy! 😋

People here in Utah grow rhubarb.

Rhubarb pie was my mom's favorite when I was a kid.

• Like 2

I think I have a rhubarb plant in my yard. It's in a back corner where the former owners very strangely chose to put some raised garden beds--that spot gets almost zero sun.

I haven't done anything with it other than look at it suspiciously because I'm not 100% sure it really is rhubarb 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, maize said:

I think I have a rhubarb plant in my yard. It's in a back corner where the former owners very strangely chose to put some raised garden beds--that spot gets almost zero sun.

I haven't done anything with it other than look at it suspiciously because I'm not 100% sure it really is rhubarb 🤣

There IS a plant that looks like rhubarb but you shouldn't eat it.  It might be called wild rhubarb?  I saw some when we were backpacking in the mountains and was very disappointed to learn that you can't eat it.  

I loved to eat raw rhubarb as a kid, mostly for the thrill factor, I think. 😂 Like kids who eat that super sour candy stuff.

I'm pooped.  The strawberry-rhubarb jam is all done and canned.  Imma sit here for a few minutes and decide what to eat for lunch and then eat lunch and then get started on the triple-berry jam.  It's actually quadruple-berry, but who's counting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I found mulberries growing along the path on my walk this morning. I snapped off a couple of twigs to see if I can root them, I like mulberries and these are different from the ones I have. Some had white berries and some black, the leaves were all lobed. The mulberries in my yard don't have lobed leaves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maize said:

I found mulberries growing along the path on my walk this morning. I snapped off a couple of twigs to see if I can root them, I like mulberries and these are different from the ones I have. Some had white berries and some black, the leaves were all lobed. The mulberries in my yard don't have lobed leaves.

Are those the things that look like little white grubs?

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Best as I can tell, rhubarb is a Northeastern thing. I'm from the South and had never even heard of it until I moved North. Celery family, but pink and green in color. Super duper sour and needs lots of sugar and/or other sweet fruit mixed with it to make it even remotely palatable. But it happens to be in my yard and I refuse to let it go to waste, so I've found ways to use it that our family enjoys.

Southern produce I miss are figs. Yummy! 😋

I've never had rhubarb and never heard of it until adulthood.  I'm born and raised NJ. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Junie said:

Dd15 and I finished watching Gone With the Wind.

Dd15: Seriously?  That's how it ends?

Me: Well, if the movie lasted any longer two more people would have died.

It really did have a disappointing ending. But what else could have happened?? Scarlett was truly black hearted.

• Like 3

Raspberries are popular around here. 

Dh keeps blaming our garden not doing well on me not watering enough.  Except I'm watering every day AND we are getting late afternoon thunderstorms almost every day.  But it is super hot during the rest of the day.  I think it's more due to the crappy seeds he bought.  Way more than half of them didn't sprout anything at all.  And we have something chewing on the leaves which I'm sure isn't helping either.   I'm ordering seeds from a legit seed catalog way ahead of time for next year.  And we probably should redo the soil in the planting bags or somehow redo the raised beds but we keep having problems with the neighbors pine tree roots taking over the beds. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Raspberries are popular around here. 

Raspberries don’t grow well in our climate. We have a lot of boysenberries, which are beautiful and make a delicious pie. And blueberries are getting more popular as they are getting plants that can deal with our heat.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Junie said:

Dd15 and I finished watching Gone With the Wind.

Dd15: Seriously?  That's how it ends?

Me: Well, if the movie lasted any longer two more people would have died.

Well, there is a sequel if you're interested.  Not by Margaret Mitchell of course.  

Booyah.

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Well, there is a sequel if you're interested.  Not by Margaret Mitchell of course.  

Booyah.

I didn't know there was a sequel, but if it's not written by Margaret Mitchell I don't consider it canon. 😉

• Like 3

Good morning!  Happy Father's Day to all the ITT Dads!

The weather is all rumbly-tumbly outside.  We could use some rain.  Can't believe I'm saying that after the nonstop rain we had all winter and spring. Dh and ds24 left a while ago for services.  They'll be back around 1:30 or 2.  I need to pick up ds15 from his campout at noon.  The rest of us have Big Screen church this morning.  Baked french toast is for Father's Day lunch.  

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

Summer Rush

The blackberries drop potent berries

Bright black beetles on the deep green plush

Of a green ground, not yet abandoned by the rain.

Over the fence the pumpkin vines shout, "Hurry, hurry, hurry"

Because it's a short season,

The space between plenty and drought,

And now, now, now

Is the only time to grow.

R. Musings

Will that do? I don't like the heat, but when you can almost hear the vines climbing the fence, it's something else.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Sunday!!!!

Happy Father’s Day!! Amazon did not come through for us this time. DH’s gift was supposed to be here Thursday and is still not here. But, Baby is whipping up a couple of quiches for a Father’s Day breakfast and we are going to my parents’ house after TV Church for lunch.

Love the poem, Critter. You do a much better job than I do.

Maize, I hope you’ll forgive me for saying mulberries look like white grubs. I was just teasing you.

• Like 3