Menu

Ignore this thread!

Dishes are done. I need to read. I’ve gotten some pretty heavy books lately. I’m in the middle of another heavy memoir (another WWII era book, little Hungarian Jewish girl’s experience during the war).  I need a light, but good summer read after I am done with this book. A nice, well written, not trashy novel. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I am not interested in dealing with the overflowing toilet.  There are 8 people living in this house.  It's someone else's turn.

Ugh, that job is DH’s. We have weird toilets that don’t respond well to plungers. Usually he has to get out the snake.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I am not interested in dealing with the overflowing toilet.  There are 8 people living in this house.  It's someone else's turn.

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Ugh, that job is DH’s. We have weird toilets that don’t respond well to plungers. Usually he has to get out the snake.

Usually here too - dh's job.  But then I end up with dirty towels to wash - there's something about fluid mechanics that escapes his comprehension.  So, if I find out about it first and can fix it on my own, I do.  

• Like 1

Morning.  Today is my long day.  Algebra then workout with dd.  Dh is heading down to his mom's house again for a few days.  

I'm feeling tired and blah again lately.  I think it's from the heat.  it's been super hot, some thunderstorms (barometric pressure bugs me), and air quality warnings.  So no wonder, right? We did get an air purifier to try out at home because we plan to get them for the science center when we open again. 

I have a Happy Planner that I was finally using effectively before all this happened.  I have to-dos and stuff but my planner still has my classes/summer camp stuff in it so I don't want to use it because it's depressing.  Plus most of my to-dos carry over from week to week so using a planner isn't as effective.  I'm debating if I want to print new pages and try to use it again, or just let it go until things are more back to normal.    

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Humph Day!!!

HOT!!!🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥🔥😩😩😩😩😩

Nothing much on the docket today. Some tasks to do for work. I will work on my CLAD stuff, read the next chapter, etc. 

• Like 2

That was fun, Slachie!!  Tell your kids (and Miami) that they did a great job.

I will say, though, that watching this reminded me of my college days when I had to watch Dennis Rodman playing basketball on a black and white tv.  (What color was his hair?)

I was watching this and wondering, "WHAT COLOR IS HER FIESTAWARE?".

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I spent the afternoon taking my dad to the doctor.  I've never taken him to the doctor before, I've probably seen him once in the past year, at Christmas, and talk to him once a month or so.  We have a complicated relationship due to his previous wife not liking that he had kids.  I didn't talk to him for about 10 years until she died.    But I got a call today that he had an important doctors appointment and his (current) wife's legs hurt so she couldn't drive him, and he can't drive anymore (he's 82).   I was in the middle of working out with dd and the science center/my house are 45 minutes to an hour from his house, and then another 30-45 minutes from his house to the doctor back in my direction.   And he called at 12:50 for a 2pm appointment.  So didn't really make it there "on time" but we weren't super late.   His wife wanted me to go in with him so I could hear what the doctor says since dad is hard of hearing, but it was urologist and no way was I staying in during the exam.    She didn't send paperwork they were supposed to fill out, I had no idea about his medications, I didn't even know what kind of doctor until we got there.   So super awkward.  Then got him back home and went in to tell her what I knew, and she was locked in the bedroom and didn't come out.   I couldn't stay long because I'm allergic to their cats and the places reeked.  I almost immediately couldn't breathe.  

So, now I'm worried I've started a precedent, which isn't a huge deal while I'm not working but will be an issue in September.  I did tell them I needed a little more notice if he needed a ride because I won't always be able to drop everything and drive like crazy to take him.    

Now I'm tired. 

• Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I spent the afternoon taking my dad to the doctor.  I've never taken him to the doctor before, I've probably seen him once in the past year, at Christmas, and talk to him once a month or so.  We have a complicated relationship due to his previous wife not liking that he had kids.  I didn't talk to him for about 10 years until she died.    But I got a call today that he had an important doctors appointment and his (current) wife's legs hurt so she couldn't drive him, and he can't drive anymore (he's 82).   I was in the middle of working out with dd and the science center/my house are 45 minutes to an hour from his house, and then another 30-45 minutes from his house to the doctor back in my direction.   And he called at 12:50 for a 2pm appointment.  So didn't really make it there "on time" but we weren't super late.   His wife wanted me to go in with him so I could hear what the doctor says since dad is hard of hearing, but it was urologist and no way was I staying in during the exam.    She didn't send paperwork they were supposed to fill out, I had no idea about his medications, I didn't even know what kind of doctor until we got there.   So super awkward.  Then got him back home and went in to tell her what I knew, and she was locked in the bedroom and didn't come out.   I couldn't stay long because I'm allergic to their cats and the places reeked.  I almost immediately couldn't breathe.  

So, now I'm worried I've started a precedent, which isn't a huge deal while I'm not working but will be an issue in September.  I did tell them I needed a little more notice if he needed a ride because I won't always be able to drop everything and drive like crazy to take him.    

Now I'm tired. 

Set them up with Lyft 

EdPo

Warning.

read at yer own risk.

It’s science. We started Beautiful Feet‘s History of Science at the end of the year because we finished Apologia about 2 months early. But now I don’t know what to do. I think we all kind of liked the Beautiful Feet, but it is way way different than Apologia and Apolgia is familiar and easy and we all really kinda like life science better anyway. But I have all the books for BF. I just wish it came with a lab kit. I suppose I could put one together over the summer. I’m just too lazy.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I'm sure they'll say they can't afford it.  I'm not sure if it's available up where they live.  Uber or Lyft probably is but they are up in the boonies (what boonies we have here).

A lot of doctors will cover it and so will Medicaid.

I will stop giving unsolicited advice now, I've just been up to my knees in elder care and special needs stuff right now.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Slache said:

A lot of doctors will cover it and so will Medicaid.

I will stop giving unsolicited advice now, I've just been up to my knees in elder care and special needs stuff right now.

I actually appreciate it.  I didn't know Medicaid might cover rides.  I'm trying to get his wife to look into various services but she's resistant.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I actually appreciate it.  I didn't know Medicaid might cover rides.  I'm trying to get his wife to look into various services but she's resistant.  

There are groups that handle these things. You should Google Toto'sdad'scounty elder services. Sometimes there's mobile toenail clippings for $10, free rides, free meals.

But there's often an office that handles the whole shebang. Then you can get the info and pass it on as needed.

I found an elder daycare for FIL. They pick him up in a handicapped accessible van, take him to the daycare where they have chess tournaments and knitting and swimming classes. They feed him a diabetic friendly lunch and drive him home. I had NO IDEA things like that existed! Completely free, no strings. So find out what's out there because you really don't know.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Slache said:

Did I tell you guys I'm on a new med? I am dumber than a box of rocks, so bare with me for a little while.

(((Slache)))  I almost asked you the other day how that was going.  You can do it!

It's a Slashie Booyah!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!!!

Did I tell y’all we had an earthquake yesterday?? It was pretty exciting. We heard this rumbling and the house started creaking and shaking and the ceiling fans started swaying. We all ran under the door ways. It was in Lone Pine, which, I think, as the crow flies, is about 60 miles from us. But it’s up in the mountains. And then five minutes after everyone’s phone signaled an emergency alert that we were having an earthquake, would experience some shaking and to take shelter in a secure location. And I’m like, “seriously dude?? It’s done. ” Whoever designed an emergency alert for earthquakes is an absolute idiot,

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Morning.  I'm feeling blah today.  Didn't sleep well (my own fault I stayed up too late), woke up feeling icky.  We have air quality warnings these days to do high heat and it's bad for my allergies/asthma.   Dh is down at his moms for a few days and he didn't do all the pre-cooking for me this time so I have to figure all that out.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I started reading a book and and I already dislike the maincharacter. Wondering if I should just stop. 

I only stop for poor writing.  The author may have worked real hard to make that character irritating.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Is it a fun kind of dumb?  Will you do party tricks?

No. I keep hitting head on things, forgetting nouns and verbs and using the wrong tenses. I have mystery bruises.

Basically we are thickening some parts of my brain so the neurons don't fire a certain way. This prevents a regular seizure from becoming a Grand Mal. Unfortunately this effects my recall abilities. So it's like I was in a car accident and am in rehab. Have to relearn.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Slache said:

No. I keep hitting head on things, forgetting nouns and verbs and using the wrong tenses. I have mystery bruises.

Basically we are thickening some parts of my brain so the neurons don't fire a certain way. This prevents a regular seizure from becoming a Grand Mal. Unfortunately this effects my recall abilities. So it's like I was in a car accident and am in rehab. Have to relearn.

Are your kids having fun with it (mommy's being silly by talking nonsense and bumping into things), or are they scared/upset by it?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Slache said:

42 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm really irritated that he didn't warn me. It's a side effect everyone experiences and it lasts for 4-6 weeks. If I had a job I couldn't do it. The level of stupidity is so intense. I've been disabled with no warning.

(((Slache)))  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Are your kids having fun with it (mommy's being silly by talking nonsense and bumping into things), or are they scared/upset by it?

I think they're used to me being clumsy and dumb. :ph34r:

I mostly just sleep.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

I don’t know...I’m pretty sure she is supposed to be relatable and cool. Which makes her even more annoying. I have this problem a lot with chick lit. 

It is hard to find good books. I don’t read a lot of chick lit anymore.

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

This is probably wise. 

Life is too short to waste it on bad literature.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Now you need to learn Stairway to Heaven.

I learned Crazy Little Thing Called Love instead.  It's fun.  Stairway To Heaven on ukulele would really give it a different tone.  Also fun. 😁

Where do you suppose I left my phone?  I remember using it last a few hours ago when dd21 said dh texted her to tell me to check my phone which had a text from dh asking me to bring him a cough drop. (He was in a meeting.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I learned Crazy Little Thing Called Love instead.  It's fun.  Stairway To Heaven on ukulele would really give it a different tone.  Also fun. 😁

Where do you suppose I left my phone?  I remember using it last a few hours ago when dd21 said dh texted her to tell me to check my phone which had a text from dh asking me to bring him a cough drop. (He was in a meeting.)

Near the medicine cabinet?  😁

• Thanks 1

I finally found it - on my bed in plain sight.  Sigh.

The people staying at the AirBnB across the street are setting off fireworks.  What is wrong with those people?  My kids are supposed to be sleeping.  Maybe someone will call the cops.  Fireworks aren't allowed in the city limits.

• Like 1