Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

A friend of mine was thinking about using Apologia's American History (without the accompanying American Lit. course) because it looks well planned, easy to implement, fairly independent.  She plans to add primary documents one day a week since it's scheduled for 4 days.  I'm sure you already have Notgrass though.  

Apologia has American History?

The Notgrass History has Literature built in, but I wanted more literature than what it was providing.  I bought the Apologia literature on a huge sale so we will use that with the Notgrass.  It's just taking some time to line everything up in a way that makes sense.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

A friend of mine was thinking about using Apologia's American History (without the accompanying American Lit. course) because it looks well planned, easy to implement, fairly independent.  She plans to add primary documents one day a week since it's scheduled for 4 days.  I'm sure you already have Notgrass though.  

16 minutes ago, Junie said:

Apologia has American History?

The Notgrass History has Literature built in, but I wanted more literature than what it was providing.  I bought the Apologia literature on a huge sale so we will use that with the Notgrass.  It's just taking some time to line everything up in a way that makes sense.

Oops no!  I lied!  It's MasterBooks.  I got it confused.  Sorry!!

• Like 2

Italian renaissance through early 1800s. Most of K12's Human Odyssey 2 with some U.S. supplements. And very possibly some other-English-speaking-countries supplements.

The science is physics.

These are tools to get the child to write actual paragraphs, which ought to be accomplished some time in the near future.

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I didn't even know Apologia has an American Literature. Our Notgrass AtB arrived today and I'm planning on going through it and correcting the known mistakes/errors listed on their website.

https://www.christianbook.com/page/homeschool/apologia/apologia-american-literature?event=Homeschool|1002236

I think it's discontinued.  Christianbook still has it in stock, though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slache said:

School?

It's a thing to get children to stop asking questions you can't answer.

Then they ask questions you can answer and you get to make a check mark on the calendar.

Maybe that's just at my house?

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

OrganizationPo: Avert yer Eyeballs!

I just ordered myself a little bamboo make-up caddy.  I have never before had enough makeup to fill the orange and white striped makeup bag that I got free from Clinique over 25 years ago.  Alas, I seem to have picked up a few more items.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

How did it go? Did you use 50/50 whole milk and heavy whipping cream? I'm wondering what ratio of milk to cream will taste best. Imma surprise Oldest with this. He's gonna love it! 

We used half & half and it turned out great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

How did it go? Did you use 50/50 whole milk and heavy whipping cream? I'm wondering what ratio of milk to cream will taste best. Imma surprise Oldest with this. He's gonna love it! 

I just used heavy whipping cream because it's what was available at the store, creamy, and what my stomach can handle. We're going to experiment with flavors (Gymnast and I) over the weekend.

ps. Oooohhhh, creamy ice cream BOOYA!

Edited by Renai
B.O.O.Y.A.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Well, I obviously have too much time on my hands. Also could be I caught a mild GI bug that has me not feeling all that great and wanting to lay around, but I started reading “The Talented Mr. Ripley” by Patricia Highsmith yesterday and finished it this evening. It’s a good book. A little creepy, but good.

Last year I got only 18 books read for my Reading Challenge for the entire year. And only a few of those I really liked. This year I’ve read 21 so far and most of them Have been really good.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Morning. We got rain yesterday. That was good. We really needed it. More rain today? Hoping so. The garden is huge and pretty much all we did yesterday until the rain came was tote water.

Harvested a few watermelons yesterday, and my tomatoes are covered with green things. I have a feeling that a month of trying to do something with a tomato glut is right around the corner. 

We also have multiple giant pumpkins this year. Two of them are probably over 40 pounds already.

20200702_131400.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Morning. I decided to polish my nails and all my nail polish was completely dried up and I had to borrow some from dd.   I have one eye liner, one mascara and some tinted chapstick.  And that's about the extent of my makeup.  And most of that is older than it probably should be.  I don't think I've worn makeup in over a year. 

I'm moving stuff from the science center into a storage unit today.  Trying to make room to space seats out more on the chance we are actually going to open in September.  I"m very frustrated because the news is making me feel very pessimistic about our chances, but I have to act as if we are opening until more information is available.  I kind of hate uncertainty, especially when it involves money and lots of work that may lead to nothing.   I asked dh his gut feeling on it yesterday and he couldn't even make a guess, it's that crazy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Good morning!

Krissi, I am reading the Diana Mosley bio and just got the other one you mentioned (Castles Burning) from the library.  Dd21 has a book she just finished she says I should read - can't remember what it's called.

I think the kids are going busking this morning before it gets too hot.  I might make jam if the peaches are ripe.  We decided on the Independence Day feast - burgers and brats, potato salad, lettuce salad, pineapple, Rainier cherries, and cherry pie.  I hope the pineapple I got is decent.  It's not easy to get really good pineapples here.

Coffee!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!! DH is home for the holiday weekend. We’re going to DH’s sister’s house for a bbq tomorrow. Not a big bbq. Just us and them.

Yay, Susan, for reading the Diana Mosley book. Fascinating person. I love Anne de Courcey’s writing. “Castles Burning” is just..... it’ll suck you in. Her writing is amazing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Junie said:

We have just reached the end of the toilet paper supply that I had purchased before the craziness began.

Apparently I was a toilet paper hoarder before it was trendy.

I was an unintentional hoarder, too. I’d go to Costco and think, “hmm, do we need Softsoap? I’ll just get some” and there’d be like 3 bottles under the sink. Now I’m glad I did that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Little girls are so funny and cute. Last night I was tucking Baby in and she was showing me her stuffed animals and Chewy, her blanket that she used to chew on as an infant. And then she showed me how all her stuffed animals had a blanket and how Chewy had her own blanket. And I just thought it was so funny, her blanket had a blanket, What is it about blankets that are so comforting?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Yay, Susan, for reading the Diana Mosley book. Fascinating person. I love Anne de Courcey’s writing. “Castles Burning” is just..... it’ll suck you in. Her writing is amazing.

You know you might have a slightly fascinating life when Winston Churchill offers to give you a lift and drop you off in Paris on his way to meet with Mussolini!  

• Haha 3

I have enough ripe peaches for the three batches of jam.  Well, 2 peach and 1 peach-raspberry.  I peeled, pitted, chopped, and blended them, but will wait to make the jam until after lunch.  The kids are downtown busking and will probably be coming home soon - not a ton of foot traffic today.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Little girls are so funny and cute. Last night I was tucking Baby in and she was showing me her stuffed animals and Chewy, her blanket that she used to chew on as an infant. And then she showed me how all her stuffed animals had a blanket and how Chewy had her own blanket. And I just thought it was so funny, her blanket had a blanket, What is it about blankets that are so comforting?

Snuggling. 🥰

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I was an unintentional hoarder, too. I’d go to Costco and think, “hmm, do we need Softsoap? I’ll just get some” and there’d be like 3 bottles under the sink. Now I’m glad I did that.

I wish I did that with useful things like TP and soap.  Instead, I have 4 unopened jars of cinnamon. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Ed Po:

So, I secretly want dd to take US History through our local tutorial - I'll think she'll give it more effort.  But in the mean time, I'm still reading The American Pageant.  And this is really interesting, imho.  I have the 6th edition (from my own highschool years) and the 12th edition (recently bought, used, not the most current edition, btw).  I just read the Cold War chapter in the 12th edition and several times found myself thinking "Huh, that's an interesting take."  And also rolled my eyes a few times.  So, this afternoon I was trying to compare it with the Cold War chapter in the 6th edition on a shallow level (I really need to read the chapter in the 6th edition more slowly for comparison).  But even on a shallow level, there is a drastic difference in the interpretation of US and Soviet actions.  Drastic.  There is also attention paid (in the 12th edition) to Truman recognizing Israel as a nation as the source of all future middle eastern woes.  (Lots more eye-rolling).  So, if we do end up doing this at home, we might have to switch editions after WWII, lol.  Or at least read parts of both.  Won't that be fun to schedule.  #followmeformorefunhistoryprojects

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Ed Po:

So, I secretly want dd to take US History through our local tutorial - I'll think she'll give it more effort.  But in the mean time, I'm still reading The American Pageant.  And this is really interesting, imho.  I have the 6th edition (from my own highschool years) and the 12th edition (recently bought, used, not the most current edition, btw).  I just read the Cold War chapter in the 12th edition and several times found myself thinking "Huh, that's an interesting take."  And also rolled my eyes a few times.  So, this afternoon I was trying to compare it with the Cold War chapter in the 6th edition on a shallow level (I really need to read the chapter in the 6th edition more slowly for comparison).  But even on a shallow level, there is a drastic difference in the interpretation of US and Soviet actions.  Drastic.  There is also attention paid (in the 12th edition) to Truman recognizing Israel as a nation as the source of all future middle eastern woes.  (Lots more eye-rolling).  So, if we do end up doing this at home, we might have to switch editions after WWII, lol.  Or at least read parts of both.  Won't that be fun to schedule.  #followmeformorefunhistoryprojects

Hmmm, that is interesting that history changes so much. I think you hit it on their head with the term “interpretation”.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I wish I did that with useful things like TP and soap.  Instead, I have 4 unopened jars of cinnamon. 😂

Maybe they will find that cinnamon is a cure for COVID and you will be way ahead of all of us.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Another Lynn said:

I want to come. For the pizza. Don’t care about aqua man. 

I did not expect to like it. I assumed it would be very basic and rely on the actor, but it's a good story with lots of attention to detail. It needs better directing, but it's pretty good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I got one of those light  flag thingies. They are popular on our neighborhood.dH is putting it up. Now I can be one of the cool kids.

Oh, thanks for reminding me - I bought some star string lights at Aldi I can put up.  And we have flags and flag banners around here somewhere.

• Like 1