Menu

Ignore this thread!

Afternoon!

DS and I are both sick. (I've relapsed, he... I don't know. Did he get strep at the orthodontist??)

But guess what? Our libraries (okay, the big ones) are going to have contactless pick-up starting next week! 💙 📙

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Important Question/Rant:

Is the keyboard of your iDevice as stupid as mine?  You know how on the usual keyboard you hit the shift key to get the ! and ? - on my old iPad if you went to the .?123 keyboard, the ! and ? have their own key, no shift needed.  Well on my new iPad, you still have to hit the shift key on the .?123 keyboard to get the ! and ? except there is no shift key, and no way to actually get the ! or ? .  It annoys the crap out of me.

As you were.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Important Question/Rant:

Is the keyboard of your iDevice as stupid as mine?  You know how on the usual keyboard you hit the shift key to get the ! and ? - on my old iPad if you went to the .?123 keyboard, the ! and ? have their own key, no shift needed.  Well on my new iPad, you still have to hit the shift key on the .?123 keyboard to get the ! and ? except there is no shift key, and no way to actually get the ! or ? .  It annoys the crap out of me.

As you were.

This sounds very bad.  (Note to self - no new apple updates.....)

• Like 1

Morning.  I slept okay.  I'm not staying up as late these days, but that means I'm automatically waking up earlier.    Another morning workout with dd, then we aren't meeting for the weekend because she's going to visit a friend who's been isolated and feeling lonely.  I'll probably take the chance to do some more cleaning at home and/or the science center.   I'm posting my ad for an additional teacher this weekend.  

I'm feeling kind of blah and discouraged these days.

• Like 2

My new self-rating teacher system:

Taught children to brush teeth - 2 stars
Taught children to use a toilet - 3 stars
Taught children to read ------------4 stars
Taught children to follow established visual patterns when putting clean dishes away or returning food to the refrigerator - 5 stars.

By this reckoning, I am a 4 star teacher at best.  Evidently I will never be a 5 star teacher.  And furthermore, I'm not sure any of my children (even the, ahem, middle aged one) deserves (deserved) to graduate highschool.  🙄🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

(((Where's Toto)))  I think you're doing an amazing job with your workouts with dd.  I've really been feeling "off" too.  I don't know if it's hormonal fluctuations or too many people in my space for such a long period of time, lol, but I'm ready to move on!  

Thank you.   I think it's probably hormonal, it usually is when I feel like this. 

I also realized that I haven't been drinking my emergen-C every day lately.   I stopped drinking it at the science center during our workouts because I don't have ice there, but I forget when I'm at home.   Since I'm almost always D deficient even in summer, and that's the main vitamins I take, I'm sure that's having an effect too.  The D also helps my allergies, which we've been having air quality warnings lately, so that's probably not helping either.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

My new self-rating teacher system:

Taught children to brush teeth - 2 stars
Taught children to use a toilet - 3 stars
Taught children to read ------------4 stars
Taught children to follow established visual patterns when putting clean dishes away or returning food to the refrigerator - 5 stars.

By this reckoning, I am a 4 star teacher at best.  Evidently I will never be a 5 star teacher.  And furthermore, I'm not sure any of my children (even the, ahem, middle aged one) deserves (deserved) to graduate highschool.  🙄🤣

I can't follow the established visual patterns myself.

Yes that's a problem 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!

I am still not sleeping well.  I almost got up at a non-lazy hour today.  I guess that's a plus.

We're trying to finish this week's assignments and then I have a virtual Bible study.

House is still a mess, although there has been some improvement.

• Like 2

Dd17 has started her new job -- out of state, on her college campus.  Ds19 (who is working on the same campus) said that she has adapted very quickly.

She said that she is really enjoying this new experience and she is doubling her friend count just about every day.

It is so much easier for her to be gone, knowing that she is doing well and enjoying her job.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

So yesterday this mean lady poked me with a sharp metal stick and I didn't even kick her!  Coincidentally, today I have learned that my liver is performing exceptionally well.

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

We need the story!  What happened?!?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We’re having huge winds, power went out for a while. But I got the pizza cooked. My head is killing me, eyes are burning. But I don’t aNt to take Benadryl until I’m ready to go to bed.

I got two new books today. I started one. It is really good. It’s by Anne de Courcey, who is my new favorite author, it’s a bio about a gal named Diana Mosley, a British socialite in the first half of the 20th century, who married a fascist and was good friends with Adolph Hitler. This is the same author who wrote the book I read a couple months ago about Coco Chanel and the French Riviera in the 1930’s.

• Like 4

Good morning!

How are you doing, Whitehawk?  Still feeling the yucks?

I think I missed the coffee at Lynn's.  My fitbit buzzed this morning to tell me I had 10 minutes to get in 250 steps for the hour, so I figured it was 6:50, about time to get up.  Nope.  It was almost 8:00!

I want to go to Lake Tahoe with Krissi.

Coffee!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

We have been watching it for the first time. Were wondering how weird it’s going to get, if this is going to be like watching Lost was. 

The first two seasons are good, the third started getting weird and I think I quit at the end of the third. 

Step one:  how many wigs do you own?

None yet, but first I need to learn how to kick-box.

I actually like Jack Bristow much more than Sydney. Is it weird that I’m liking and sympathizing more and more with the parents of characters now?  Like I still love Elizabeth Bennett and I know Mrs. Bennett is shallow and petty, but, heck, if I had tofind husbands for five dowryless girls with no help from a husband who just laughed at me allthe time, mynerves would be shot too. I have compasssion for her poor nerves!

is it just me or does vaughn always look like he’s about to cry?

Yeah, I love Victor Garber in whatever he’s in. And his character is pretty complex. Sydney seems to live her life at the mercy of her own enormous talents, but also acts rashly on assumptions and emotions and doesn’t think things through.  Vaughn is a weenie. He fell head over heels in love with Sydney the minute he met her and that guides every move he makes.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!!

Found out why we lost electricity last night. The wind blew over an enormous eucalyptus tree at a park nearby and it fell on some power lines. I am not sure if it knocked out our electricity or if PG&E turned off our electricity for some reason because of that. But anyway, it was only off for a half hour. Still got the other pizza baked.

The wind dropped our temps by 20 degrees.  This summer is strange. For the last month we’ve had weekly temps fluctuating by as much as 30 degrees for the high temps. It was 103 on Thursday, today it’s supposed to be 80. This is not typical. Oh well, I am not complaining, but the wind isn’t great.

I guess I will do housework and grocery shopping today. I have a couple of good books to read, so I hope I can get into them this weekend, too.

• Like 3

I tried to shop for clothes today and realized I’m overweight and poor. The prices some of these stores were charging was outrageous.  I’m going to maybe buy some patterns and make my own summer dresses.  Or join the rest of America and shop online.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Imma have a delicious strawberry spinach

At first, I saw "strawberry sandwich," and I was very interested. Almond flour tortilla + macerated strawberries + maybe some kind of cream sauce? Hold the spinach. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ikslo said:

I tried to shop for clothes today and realized I’m overweight and poor. The prices some of these stores were charging was outrageous.  I’m going to maybe buy some patterns and make my own summer dresses.  Or join the rest of America and shop online.

THIS struggle is real. 👆

So, this morning my computer seemed like it worked - it turned on okay and wasn't making funny noises anymore.   But it was running really slow so I wanted to do a restart but to be on the safe side I moved all my files onto an external hard drive first.   Then the computer claimed to have updates, so that took awhile, but it finally did the updates and shut down.   When we got back from the lake I turned it on again before I went to take a shower and its till wasn't fully loaded when I got out of the shower.  it took about 45 minutes just to load, then about 10 minutes for the internet to load, then Facebook still hadn't loaded after 20 minutes so I just shut it down again.  We're going to bring it to the Geek Squad and see if there's anything they can do.   But since we know an entire glass of water fell in it, I'm not overly hopeful.   At least I got all my files off, because that would have really been super bad.    Right now I'm using one of my class computers.  It doesn't have the power of my usual laptop, and it's tiny (I think like a 12 inch screen) and no number keypad which I usually require, but it's better than nothing.  

Worked out with dd today, we ended up doing a long walk since it was really really nice out.  Sunny, breezy, not too hot.  We walked about 3 miles.   Then I took the kids to the lake since dd wanted to see some of her friends (socially distanced!) and I went out in the kayak a few times.  I can definitely see a result of all the workouts with dd when getting in and out of the kayak!  It was a lot easier than it used to be.   

Most people at the lake weren't socially distancing and we left when it was getting busier around 4pm.   We might start sticking with weekdays or earlier in the day.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, KrissiK said:

We’re having huge winds, power went out for a while. But I got the pizza cooked. My head is killing me, eyes are burning. But I don’t aNt to take Benadryl until I’m ready to go to bed.

I got two new books today. I started one. It is really good. It’s by Anne de Courcey, who is my new favorite author, it’s a bio about a gal named Diana Mosley, a British socialite in the first half of the 20th century, who married a fascist and was good friends with Adolph Hitler. This is the same author who wrote the book I read a couple months ago about Coco Chanel and the French Riviera in the 1930’s.

What's the name of the book?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renai said:

What's the name of the book?

This is a really good book. I have been interested in the past several years in answering the question.... how did this happen??  What was the draw? I do understand that it had something to do with the politics of Europe that had been simmering and boiling for decades, that Germany was beaten down after WWI, but what is it that causes ordinary and rational people to be so drawn to Hitler, to swallow the propaganda and accept that? I read a book written by  survivor of the Rwandan Genocide and I see the same sort of threads running through that, too. And it worries me, because of the response, the acceptance and the participation of the “normal citizens” and what’s to keep that from happening here? Those people are just like us.

image.jpg

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

This is a really good book. I have been interested in the past several years in answering the question.... how did this happen??  What was the draw? I do understand that it had something to do with the politics of Europe that had been simmering and boiling for decades, that Germany was beaten down after WWI, but what is it that causes ordinary and rational people to be so drawn to Hitler, to swallow the propaganda and accept that? I read a book written by  survivor of the Rwandan Genocide and I see the same sort of threads running through that, too. And it worries me, because of the response, the acceptance and the participation of the “normal citizens” and what’s to keep that from happening here? Those people are just like us.

image.jpg

I was able to reserve a copy at the library!

• Like 1