Menu

Ignore this thread!

Sounds like many of us had crappy or weird sleep last night.  I had some weird dreams too and that's unusual for me.  I mostly don't remember my dreams or they aren't that vivid or interesting.

According to the radio, Mercury is in retrograde.  So maybe that's it?

What does that mean anyway?  Why is it always Mercury?  Can't Saturn be in retrograde?  How about Pluto?  I want Pluto in retrograde.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Sounds like many of us had crappy or weird sleep last night.  I had some weird dreams too and that's unusual for me.  I mostly don't remember my dreams or they aren't that vivid or interesting.

What does that mean anyway?  Why is it always Mercury?  Can't Saturn be in retrograde?  How about Pluto?  I want Pluto in retrograde.

Do we really have to understand it to blame it? Imma say "no" and go with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Uh oh. We joke that my worst flares are”when Mercury is in retrograde, but only every other Tuesday!”  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I slept through my first two alarms.  But at least Fitbit gave me a B+ in sleep!

Ds15's cello lesson is this afternoon and I have orchestra tonight.  Please nag me until I practice Mahler 1 today!

Coffee!

Have you practiced Mahler 1?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Seriouslyconsidering just survival schooling the younger two or three for the rest of the year so we can spend an hour at the park everymorning. I cannot take the bickering and hyperness anymore. 

Have you considered physical consequences? As in, "every time you descend into bickering, pick up the jump rope and give me 20 minutes."

But seriously, your littles are so little. Just read with them and play math games, if you want. It'll all be good. Trust me: There isn't a single college out there asking for elementary school grades. ((Spudz))

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Did everyone give up screens and/or ITT for Lent? I don't see near as much going on here yesterday or today.

I have been working. Physical Fitness this  morning, this afternoon I am getting work samples ready for upload. It’s not difficult. Just kinda tedious.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's against regulations to give up ITT for Lent.  However, that's between you and God, so I will otherwise remain silent on the issue.  :wink:

I accidentally left my violin shoulder rest out the the case and had to play all of rehearsal without one.  I'll think twice before practicing Mahler again, that's for sure!  :laugh:

Good night!  Sleep well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have been busy. 

Same. 

46 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

EdPo Rant: (sorry, but I need to): I need my kids to cooperate better for me teaching them. They have gotten really lazy about it. I gave the assignment this week to rewrite a fable or fairy tale from a different perspective. None did it. The Girl flat refused saying that was dumb and why should she; she would never need that again. ASD Boy wrote his own story- partly. He is telling me the rest tomorrow. Quiet Boy complained he did that with last CAP Fable assignment so why should he do it again? This is why we need programs-- mine will not do anything that isn't assigned as part of one. I'm scared to buy anything because they dig in their heels so bad and hate everything. I'm so frustrated. Here we are age ready for high school and not skill ready mostly because they will not do what they are told.

ANYWAY>>> Captain has been getting lots of Mommy time since the others won't work with me. We play puzzles, read books, and do art stuff. Makes me want to go all Waldorf with him.

My Lent thing is no more EdPo on ITT. I will try very hard to make this the last one.

How is everyone doing? Bookie hasn't been on in a while. I hope she is ok. Slache should be rejoining us soon. How did the move go? Jean, I'm sorry your body is causing you such problems. I hope you feel better soon. Critter- great to hear your revisions and everything are going so well. Toto- hope your Mum feels better soon. Everyone else-- prayers for all.

This is one of the reasons that I put Gymnast in the homeschool program. She's so darn uncooperative. And she's just one kid. She says she likes being home, but on the other hand, doesn't want to do anything I tell her to do. I told her we are going to have some really good discussion before I bring her back home full time next year. It is so frustrating. I don't think I consider this an EdPo because this isn't something I'd put out on the curriculum board.

So, I've been busy. I just realized that I have one more full week before I leave for Texas. I'm not ready to go yet, and need to prep the house for my MIL coming to stay too. 'Nuff said.

• Like 3

I have a library book that's overdue, but I haven't read it yet.  It's Writing Revolution. Someone else has a hold on it, so I won't have it again for at least a month.  I want to read enough of it to know if it's worth reading, but I'm here instead.  That makes sense, right?  🙄 So, what do you think?  Should I re-request it?  FWIW, my youngest is in high school.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Happy Friday!  I got to sleep in which was lovely!  Coffee is brewing.

(((Paradox)))  I agree with Renai, that commiserating about lack of cooperation is not an ed-po.  I think you either have to be prepared to enforce consequences when they won't do something you've assigned or else don't assign things without more of their buy-in (and I know that's easier said than done!).  I think I ruined the possibility of getting "buy in" in my oldest partly because we switched curricula so much.  He ended up finishing highschool at a private school.  But I don't have any pat answers.  We have turned more and more to outsourcing for highschool because I do not want to do what I think would be required of me to provide the level of education I want them to have.  We have a fantastic local homeschool group for highschool and we are using it more and more.  

klmama, no harm in requesting the book again.  I have not read it so I can't recommend for or against it.  But as you said your youngest is in highschool, perhaps you don't need it.  Unless you are just interested in it anyway.  

Y'all - why am I endeavoring to advise anyone on one sip of coffee?  Just. no.  This post in no way constitutes professional advice - it is merely friendly conversation.  Should you have a true homeschool emergency, please hang up and call a professional.  🤣  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Actually, despite Mercury being in retrograde, I have been really productive for two days in a row. Maybe astrology is finally working for me. 😉. Or is it astronomy?. I actually don’t know what it means for Mercury to be in retrograde. Is that a scientific term or a superstitious term?  

Retrograde is astrology and superstition, not science.  

According to Google:  This is because Mercury retrograde is an optical illusion resulting from our position (on Earth) relative to Mercury. The term "retrograde" in this instance refers to a perceived reversal in the standard west-to-east movement of Mercury through the stars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!

It's snowing!  Dd13 is grumpy because she knows it won't stick.  This is the coldest February I can remember.  Usually we are well into spring lettuces season by now!

Dh headed into the office early to head off some issue that he was up working on in the middle of the night.  I'm leaving for Aldi in a few minutes - we are now out of coffee, eggs, butter, and cheese and people are getting nervous.  

Coffee!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, klmama said:

I have a library book that's overdue, but I haven't read it yet.  It's Writing Revolution. Someone else has a hold on it, so I won't have it again for at least a month.  I want to read enough of it to know if it's worth reading, but I'm here instead.  That makes sense, right?  🙄 So, what do you think?  Should I re-request it?  FWIW, my youngest is in high school.

7 hours ago, klmama said:

I must be really tired. What's ITT?  Off to bed now....

I really like the randomness of this. Should I start explaining duct tape, flamethrowers, and bazookas?

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Happy Friday!  I got to sleep in which was lovely!  Coffee is brewing.

(((Paradox)))  I agree with Renai, that commiserating about lack of cooperation is not an ed-po.  I think you either have to be prepared to enforce consequences when they won't do something you've assigned or else don't assign things without more of their buy-in (and I know that's easier said than done!).  I think I ruined the possibility of getting "buy in" in my oldest partly because we switched curricula so much.  He ended up finishing highschool at a private school.  But I don't have any pat answers.  We have turned more and more to outsourcing for highschool because I do not want to do what I think would be required of me to provide the level of education I want them to have.  We have a fantastic local homeschool group for highschool and we are using it more and more.  

klmama, no harm in requesting the book again.  I have not read it so I can't recommend for or against it.  But as you said your youngest is in highschool, perhaps you don't need it.  Unless you are just interested in it anyway.  

Y'all - why am I endeavoring to advise anyone on one sip of coffee?  Just. no.  This post in no way constitutes professional advice - it is merely friendly conversation.  Should you have a true homeschool emergency, please hang up and call a professional.  🤣  

But, but, but...you're the MOM.😧

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Retrograde is astrology and superstition, not science.  

According to Google:  This is because Mercury retrograde is an optical illusion resulting from our position (on Earth) relative to Mercury. The term "retrograde" in this instance refers to a perceived reversal in the standard west-to-east movement of Mercury through the stars.

Hey, thanks a lot, Toto. Here I thought I'd found the perfect answer for everything, and now you go all sciency and facty on me. Homeschool moms. Hmph.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Spudater said:

One of the things about reading Jane Eyre right after Sense and Sensibility is that Willoughby becomes much easier to forgive. He was self-centered, but Rochester and St. John are psycho creepy. We have talked a lot about what kinds of guys to avoid this year!  Not a bad thing with a new teenager...

You need to read “Mr. Rochester” by Sarah Shoemaker. Then it will all make sense.🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

One of the things about reading Jane Eyre right after Sense and Sensibility is that Willoughby becomes much easier to forgive. He was self-centered, but Rochester and St. John are psycho creepy. We have talked a lot about what kinds of guys to avoid this year!  Not a bad thing with a new teenager...

Ugh. The male leads in Jane Eyre are just so awful, aren't they? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

What online learn to type games do your elementary/middle schoolers like? I tried fishing in the sea but got zero response.  Scotsman is looking but he is terrible at not just keeping it simple. "I found this huge package thing that will teach everything all at the same time!" AGGGG!!!! Just typing....

We liked Mavis Beacon.  There is an online version. 

I picked up my grocery pick up. I'm trying to stock the house with food since my MIL will be here. I got the pantry mostly cleaned out, as well as the shelf that houses bathroom necessities, but all my pick up stuff hasn't been organized yet. That's what I'm working on, kinda.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dh actually stocked up on stuff when he was grocery shopping yesterday.  I suggested it to him since it was an official recommendation.  He bought a big bag of rice, canned beans, meats, etc.  We're also going to BJ's this weekend so we'll get more things there.   Nothing crazy, just some staple items we already get but more of them.

On one of the coronovirus threads someone mentioned that Emergen-C Immune + page was gone from Amazon.  I just ordered 3 boxes that came on Monday so I evidently got in just under the wire on those.  I only like one flavor and I'm D deficient so I drink that every day and it really seems to help.

• Like 2

Weekend plans - I need to go do some rearranging at the science center tomorrow. Things are getting messy again.   And of course, the usuals - laundry, setting up school, planning classes.  

Next week dh may be traveling to Canada.  They are thinking of driving since it's close enough and then they can avoid International airports and being stuck on a plane.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

What online learn to type games do your elementary/middle schoolers like? I tried fishing in the sea but got zero response.  Scotsman is looking but he is terrible at not just keeping it simple. "I found this huge package thing that will teach everything all at the same time!" AGGGG!!!! Just typing....

My kids just use typing.com.  There's a younger version with games.  They really only do it over summer break if we remember.  Most of their typing skills start happening when they are in 9th grade and have to type their papers for tutorial classes.

13 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Everybody out partying on a Friday night?  It's kind of dead in here.  

I was learning the 2nd cello part to the Vivaldi double cello concerto on my violin, and then was working on "Whiskey Before Breakfast" on mandolin.  I am shamefully slow on both of them.  However, I was able to play the G chop chord today *almost* right, so there's hope!  :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I'm mildly worried about mom being in a rehab/nursing facility with all the viruses going around.  Not just corona, although that is a concern.  But we have flu A and B and strep evidently running rampant around here.  Lots and lots of people sick.  

I think the flu has mostly run its course in our area, but I have heard of some nursing homes being in quarantine of sorts for short periods (a couple weeks?) until things settled down.  

• Like 1

I am still slowly going through my food inventory/ clean out/ reboot. Refrigerator is done. Freezer started. Picked up elderberry syrup, Throat Coat tea and Echinacea tea in preparation for the plague. Those are things I tend to keep during flu season anyway. I have tired myself out though. If I try to push myself I will flare no matter what Mercury is doing or not doing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I think the flu has mostly run its course in our area, but I have heard of some nursing homes being in quarantine of sorts for short periods (a couple weeks?) until things settled down.  

My parents came down with Type A this week. I don't think we've seen the last of the flu for this year yet! Keeping my fingers crossed that we stay healthy. I haven't had the flu since the Swine Flu ripped through here and knocked us down, all but DH, who had been exposed as a child. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I had chicken and dumplings for dinner. It was good, and I put extra pepper in the soup. Not against the plague. I just thought it tasted good. 

Insomnia struck hard this morning around 2. So I got up to make some tea and write. Not wasting awake time, and I can nap after work if I need it. 

• Like 3