Menu

Ignore this thread!

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Does this seem right?  It took me all day to walk 5k. It cane out to 7566 steps. I want to be able to wakk a 5k this year but of course much faster.  That just seemed to be more steps than I expected. 

Sometimes walking smoothly will cut your steps in half, especially while carrying something. That's why doctors recommend the clip ons, but the bracelets are better for marketing. Do you think there's a chance you walked significantly more? I would use my phone's GPS to log distance next time.

• Like 1

Jean, I'm thinking back and there were morbidly obese people (I hate that term), visibly having a difficult time walking who finished even though the race was cut off after an hour, maybe two. So, yes a 5k is totally doable in less than 7 hours.

Also, a lot of people wore tutus and I think you need to look into that.

It's a tutooya!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Darn, just missed the booya this morning.

I'm tired but it's not awful.  Stayed up too late while dh watched the Clemson game and ds and I played Scrabble (since it was day 2 of no screens after 8pm).  We have entered a new era - one in which one of my kids can beat me at Scrabble.  I may have gone a liiittttllllee easy on him in the beginning (since if I clobbered him he'd never want to pay again), but he actually did MUCH better than I expected so my very slight going easy resulted in him beating me by 80-something points.  Really.  He played Queer on a triple word score plus built a couple short words off it at the same time (like the e also built be).  Then added awe to some to make awesome on a triple word score.  

Had my bone broth in my tea for the first time today.  I think it made it a slight bit sweeter but not bad at all.  I drink my tea with a tsp of honey and usually a spoon of Benefiber.  Not sure if I should have the Benefiber AND bone broth at the same time, so I left out the Benefiber this morning.  

Three classes, a teen hang-out, tutoring, and my STEM coordinator job today.

• Like 7

I am in my bedroom drinking coffee with the door shut. Do I have to go out?

And I found a pair of jeans that actually fit. It makes me annoyed with all my other pants. Wondering if I can get by with wearing the same pair every single day of my life.

Edited by KeriJ
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, KeriJ said:

I am in my bedroom drinking coffee with the door shut. Do I have to go out?

And I found a pair of jeans that actually fit. It makes me annoyed with all my other pants. Wondering if I can get by with wearing the same pair every single day of my life.

I do this. Sadly, my perfect pair is now too ventilated to be caught alive or dead in. Sniff. Now I have to go to the second hand store and try to find another pair of jeans that actually fit. 

• Like 6

Morning. I have a sore throat, but I also have a cup of hot tea. That makes it all better.

I got started on my terrifying edit of the first chapter last night and had a blast. I may not have nailed everything, but it was delightful getting back into my main character for that story. He's sassy, hard-to-handle, has an exhausting personality if you had to live with him, and he's got this off sense of humor that I love.

• Like 5

One of the crises we are dealing with, and sadly and unfortunately the one of that's actually less significant and easier to deal with, is that I spoke with my mom last night and we really need to get my Dad evaluated for early Alzheimers. Has anyone dealt with this? He is showing some very concerning signs that can no longer be ignored but he would be irate if he even knew we were thinking it. We have no idea how to get him into a doctor and my brother and I aren't local so we can't do much. I need to talk to my brother and convince him of the situation but the last time I broached the subject he told me I was nuts. 

It's scary but there's also a very promising study in their town where if he was diagnosed soon he may get to trial a new exciting drug. If he doesn't get the placebo...but we will hope for the drug if we can somehow persuade him to seek help in time. 50/50 chance is better than no chance. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, Paige said:

One of the crises we are dealing with, and sadly and unfortunately the one of that's actually less significant and easier to deal with, is that I spoke with my mom last night and we really need to get my Dad evaluated for early Alzheimers. Has anyone dealt with this? He is showing some very concerning signs that can no longer be ignored but he would be irate if he even knew we were thinking it. We have no idea how to get him into a doctor and my brother and I aren't local so we can't do much. I need to talk to my brother and convince him of the situation but the last time I broached the subject he told me I was nuts. 

It's scary but there's also a very promising study in their town where if he was diagnosed soon he may get to trial a new exciting drug. If he doesn't get the placebo...but we will hope for the drug if we can somehow persuade him to seek help in time. 50/50 chance is better than no chance. 

So sorry you have to deal with this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paige said:

We have, a bit, with MIL. 

Protect the finances and other assets. Impulsivity increases with dementia and the consequences can be scary. Last summer she purchased a new shiny blue Mustang even though she shouldn’t be driving.

The “irate” is normal with dementia, sadly. It’s hard for many to shift their relationships from equal partners to caregiver/person in need of care....for both parties. 

• Like 4

Paige - how old are your parents and what kind of doctors do they see?  I would try to get your dad into his primary doctor for a "check up" including a dementia assessment.  You should be able to ask the doctor to do one at the time of making the appointment.  If an appointment has been made for him, can he just be told that he has an appointment and will he then allow himself to be taken to it?  (Some elderly will follow through even if they gripe, if there is already an appointment to be kept.) 

https://betterhealthwhileaging.net/qa-rude-resistant-aging-parent/

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Juliet got about five times more steps than me st the dog park. 

Yes, but she was visibly, noticeably more tired than usual meaning that she did something more than usual, suggesting that you did something more than usual. I think your Fitbit is lying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Paige - how old are your parents and what kind of doctors do they see?  I would try to get your dad into his primary doctor for a "check up" including a dementia assessment.  You should be able to ask the doctor to do one at the time of making the appointment.  If an appointment has been made for him, can he just be told that he has an appointment and will he then allow himself to be taken to it?  (Some elderly will follow through even if they gripe, if there is already an appointment to be kept.) 

https://betterhealthwhileaging.net/qa-rude-resistant-aging-parent/

He's in mostly excellent health and just had some elective surgery that required lots of physicals and testing so he would be quite suspicious about another physical being suggested out of the blue. They live independently and aren't that old. I asked my mom about something like this and she said she isn't allowed in the doctor's office with him and he'd be mad if she tried to schedule him an appointment. He's never been in a position to have someone look after him or make decisions for him so he'd be upset if we suddenly acted like he couldn't manage his affairs. On top of that, one of his primary symptoms has been irrational, paranoid, controlling behavior....

• Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We took a Chuck-It with us this time. Usually we forget to bring it. 

See? I knew you were carrying something.

18 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am defending my Fitbit. 😉

:wacko:

Use connected GPS next time. For reals.

• Like 1

Dd is having to research and ask a college friend for help in her chemistry. In the past I would have really beaten myself up for not having the academic knowledge and expertise to get her over this hump. But the book explanation and the online lecture I provided for her to learn from (both from experts) still left her scratching her head so I am not a negligent homeschool educator. I had to ask friends for help in high school and college too despite being in brick and mortar school. (I have a tendency towards mom guilt). 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Dd is having to research and ask a college friend for help in her chemistry. In the past I would have really beaten myself up for not having the academic knowledge and expertise to get her over this hump. But the book explanation and the online lecture I provided for her to learn from (both from experts) still left her scratching her head so I am not a negligent homeschool educator. I had to ask friends for help in high school and college too despite being in brick and mortar school. (I have a tendency towards mom guilt). 

This is actually awesome that she's doing this. She's learning that peers can help, and that she should never be afraid to ask a friend to help her figure things out. I did this in college for friends, and had a friend who walked me through some tough immunology sections. 

And I'm doing it now--I have an agent, but I asked six writing friends to go through my first chapters to look for specific things I need to clarify based on their reading. Not going it alone is a good thing to learn.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paige said:

He's in mostly excellent health and just had some elective surgery that required lots of physicals and testing so he would be quite suspicious about another physical being suggested out of the blue. They live independently and aren't that old. I asked my mom about something like this and she said she isn't allowed in the doctor's office with him and he'd be mad if she tried to schedule him an appointment. He's never been in a position to have someone look after him or make decisions for him so he'd be upset if we suddenly acted like he couldn't manage his affairs. On top of that, one of his primary symptoms has been irrational, paranoid, controlling behavior....

She can always call his doctor's office and leave an extensive note with the nurse or ask the doctor to call her privately.  

Paige, if your mom can convincingly fake his handwriting, use a sticker, or tape up an appointment card in the scheduler's handwriting, and he finds an appointment on Feb. __ when they turn the page on the calendar, he may well believe it was made ages ago and show up. (I go to appointments like that all the time. I have no idea when I'm supposed to go to the dentist, but when I see it's on there, I go.)

20 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I would defend the fitbit.  Juliet had to run back and forth fetching.  Jean didn't.

I'm just curious, not trying to be mean.  Why does son have to get a license because he's in America, paradox?

My argument isn't that she did as much as the dog, my argument is that she did more than usual. Under the circumstances I feel that she should have more steps. I could be incorrect, but either way it's not going to take her seven hours to do a 5K. That much I can promise.

3 hours ago, Paige said:

Two questions - was he under general anesthesia for his surgery, and did the behavior start after surgery or before?  

(General anethsesia has been known to cause personality changes, just checking if that was a possibility.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

She can always call his doctor's office and leave an extensive note with the nurse or ask the doctor to call her privately.  

That's a good idea. I think she's scared of being found out but maybe she could call and ask for advice. It doesn't help that their family doctor just retired and they are seeing new people. 

5 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Two questions - was he under general anesthesia for his surgery, and did the behavior start after surgery or before?  

Yes, but it started over a year ago. I think he'd been under general anesthesia the first part of the year we started noticing things, however. Could it have caused problems that lingered? 

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

Paige, if your mom can convincingly fake his handwriting, use a sticker, or tape up an appointment card in the scheduler's handwriting, and he finds an appointment on Feb. __ when they turn the page on the calendar, he may well believe it was made ages ago and show up. (I go to appointments like that all the time. I have no idea when I'm supposed to go to the dentist, but when I see it's on there, I go.)

He uses his phone and she doesn't have the password. 

1 hour ago, Slache said:

My argument isn't that she did as much as the dog, my argument is that she did more than usual. Under the circumstances I feel that she should have more steps. I could be incorrect, but either way it's not going to take her seven hours to do a 5K. That much I can promise.

It took me 7 hours because other than my stint at the dog park, I was walking to and from the car, doing a few errands, doing a few chores and mostly sitting.  My biggest walk was at the dog park but even that was just over a half hour of actual moving.  When I do the 5K, I will be moving the whole time.  I have walked a 5k or more in distance before as part of a hike.  I just start to limp after about 3k at one whack. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  I woke up at 3am with a sore throat.  But I feel fine, otherwise.  So I'm going to roll with it.

How’s your throat now?  

And Critter’s, too?

Edited by ikslo
Critter also has a sore throat. Poor things. :(
  • Like 1

Ok, so..... my wallet is open, people. Just line up! I'm passing out the $$$$$$$😂

I just got back from the Post Office. Apparently the lady who owned this house took the mailbox keys with her, or did something with them a year ago when she left for Arizona or Texas or wherever she is. So, there's $50 to rekey the mailbox.

Annnnnd, I talked to the painter today. Oh my goodness. I don't have an estimate yet, but..... I don't even want to know. To be fair, we had planned on painting, even before we planned on moving. I have paint chips hanging on the wall to prove it. But our old house needs paint badly.... in every room.  It is so bad it is embarrassing.  This guy comes recommended by our realtor, who we trust.  So, I'm not going to shop around. I don't even know how to shop around for painters.  We just need the house painted so we can get it on the market and sell it.  

And then we have to hire cleaners, and a carpet cleaner.  

Just take my checkbook.  Take it all. I don't care anymore.😩

• Like 1
  • Sad 3