Menu

Ignore this thread!

I worked in the yard. Yard work is infinitely more satisfying than housework. I stand before my dresser and pick up .... something, whatever it is, look at it and don’t know what to do with it and put it back down. I vacuum and 5 minutes later there is carp all over the floor again. But yard work...... I pruned and weeded and planted a bunch of plants that needed planting and now I am happy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I worked. I entered yet another writing contest. I fought my word processing program and outsmarted it. There is a mouse in my bedroom. I ate roast for lunch and that's all I've eaten today. I did not eat turtle soup.

ETA: I want cake, too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

I'm eating a snack and watching Obesity Post Mortem.

What. the. hell? Don't answer that.

52 minutes ago, Junie said:

We just sent the Goomba to vacuum under dd10's bed.

It was kinda scary under there...

GOOMBA!

It's a freaked out goomba BOOYA!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Junie said:

I am watching youtube videos about sugar addiction.  :(

I quit cold turkey. No candy, chocolate or grains. It sucked. I've done it 3 times in my life. At 16, 29(?), and a month ago.

18 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Fish are stinky.

This is partly why mermaids are always a little disappointing in real life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Slache said:

I quit cold turkey. No candy, chocolate or grains. It sucked. I've done it 3 times in my life. At 16, 29(?), and a month ago.

This is partly why mermaids are always a little disappointing in real life.

I quit gluten cold turkey.  Frankly, it was awful.  I had to call dh home from work because the withdrawal symptoms were so bad.

I don't have the strength right now to do cold turkey again.

• Like 3

I quit gluten cold-turkey. It was wonderful. After three days I felt so much better in the gut department that I knew I'd never survive a trial of eating wheat again. I have not tried quitting sugar. I had to quit caffeine for the a good week before my mammogram and it almost killed me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cleaned.  I worked OT.  Boys came home with only 3 pairs of shorts.  

DH is going to get us pizza. Y’all can rip the pizza outta my cold, dead hands ‘cause I’m eatin’ it.  So there.  I might even have some sugary juice to go along with it.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Junie--for your pasta bowl at night, do you think substituting a salad, an apple, or something with higher fiber would help? 

I think it's the carbs that are helping me sleep.

I've tried yogurt and salad and a few more things that I'm forgetting.

Pasta, rice, or Chocolate Lucky Charms seem to be the magic sleeping pill for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Junie said:

Would mixed nuts be a good option for bedtime?

Yes, they are so good for you. They probably won't cause weight gain- despite their high fat, nuts are associated with weight loss. 

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/78/3/647S/4690007

The high fat may help you sleep too.

I'm a night eater too. I could easily eat a large bag of chips if it's in the house. Since trying to eat smarter, I've been eating a lot of nuts at night. I like cashews, almonds, and pistachios. 

Other ideas for you:

popcorn

bean dip or hummus with veggies or even on bread or pitas

oatmeal

yams/sweet potatoes are good. I used to eat them only with butter, sugar, cinnamon, but one day it was too much effort and I ate it plain and realized it was really just as good that way (for me) so I rarely bother adding anything anymore. 

bananas may give you the soft mouth feeling of pasta

red lentils covered in whatever sauce you like for pasta. They're pretty mild tasting on their own.

or maybe zucchini noodles instead of regular noodles?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paige said:

Yes, they are so good for you. They probably won't cause weight gain- despite their high fat, nuts are associated with weight loss. 

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/78/3/647S/4690007

The high fat may help you sleep too.

I'm a night eater too. I could easily eat a large bag of chips if it's in the house. Since trying to eat smarter, I've been eating a lot of nuts at night. I like cashews, almonds, and pistachios. 

Other ideas for you:

popcorn

bean dip or hummus with veggies or even on bread or pitas

oatmeal

yams/sweet potatoes are good. I used to eat them only with butter, sugar, cinnamon, but one day it was too much effort and I ate it plain and realized it was really just as good that way (for me) so I rarely bother adding anything anymore. 

bananas may give you the soft mouth feeling of pasta

red lentils covered in whatever sauce you like for pasta. They're pretty mild tasting on their own.

or maybe zucchini noodles instead of regular noodles?

Thanks for the ideas!

2 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I don't know that I would stop, then.  Unless maybe you eat nuts first, then eat a smaller amount of the carby food.  Or maybe nuts and substitute popcorn for the other carbs.  Sleep is just as important.   Maybe we need to brainstorm other ideas.

This is exactly what I've decided to try.  I'm hoping to cut the carbs in half and still get enough to sleep well.

After so many nights last year of not getting to sleep until 4 a.m., I don't want to mess up good sleep.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

So I'm not just being bossy?  LOL!

Nope.

After so many years of babies who wouldn't sleep, I am really enjoying being able to sleep through the night.  1ish to 8ish is a beautiful thing.  :)

4ish to 8ish was not.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Southern Ivy said:

Hey all - just poppin' in to say hey. Spent the day with family celebrating R's 6th bday a little bit early and now coming off a sugar high from the cake. 

How is everyone? 

Hi, Mary! How is your Dad? Happy birthday to Riv, too!

• Like 1

I don't want to jump the gun but I believe my insomnia is gone after roughly a 6 month stretch. Crediting Whole30.

Fitbit update: Today was the first time in my life I've reached 10,000 steps and that includes 5Ks and mountain climbing. I don't know if my fitbit is more or less accurate than my other trackers but I typically have a hard time getting 3,000 steps, even if I work out.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Slache said:

I don't want to jump the gun but I believe my insomnia is gone after roughly a 6 month stretch. Crediting Whole30.

Fitbit update: Today was the first time in my life I've reached 10,000 steps and that includes 5Ks and mountain climbing. I don't know if my fitbit is more or less accurate than my other trackers but I typically have a hard time getting 3,000 steps, even if I work out.

I think your other trackers were off.  It would be very difficult to do a 5K and not get 10,000 steps in one day, unless those were the ONLY steps you took the whole day.  Then you might get about 8,000 steps.  (A 5K is about 3 miles, right?)

• Like 4

Good morning. I sleep okay as long as I have drugs. No drugs, no sleep. Nothing really makes a difference for me other than not having any caffeine after lunch. Even that fails if I go to bed thinking--and most nights I go to bed thinking. It is not unusual for me to lie awake for one to two hours before going to sleep. I've had insomnia since I was a teen. I like my sleep, but getting it isn't easy. My ideal schedule would be go to bed at ten or eleven, wake up around three or four, write for a few hours, go back to bed around six and sleep until nine or ten. Yeah...not going to happen.

Last night, I slept. I had one terrifically bad dream in graphic sensory detail and was glad to get up. Caffeine, grocery list and editing planned for the morning.

• Sad 3

I've always had very vivid dreams. Nightmares occur with some regularity. I now keep my laptop and material ready in the kitchen where I retreat if I wake up in the wee hours. I used to wish as a child that one day I could stay up all night like an elderly neighbor I knew and sleep most mornings. I guess I'm well on my way.

Exercise seldom improves me sleep. I think the combination of increased endorphins coupled with intense muscle and joint pain contributes to sleepless nights for me. However, the decreased irritability I have after exercise is nice when I'm awake, so there.

The boys are building balloons out of trash sacks and sponges soaked in lamp oil. This is the second time we've gone through this phase. Last time it coincided with the windy season (spring) and caused great angst and temper flares. This is worse with hormones. I may have to take up half-marathon training again if the balloon phase persists.

ETA: Perhaps I should simply assign Around the World in Eighty Days and make an assignment of it, you think? Ballooning Booyah!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1