Menu

Ignore this thread!

We have dessert about once a week, always if we have company (even if it is just fruit).

When my parents visited last week, I had some sort of sweet treat for every supper.  My dad was frustrated because he usually has something with lunch also. 

I've noticed that my sweets cravings have gone up tremendously since I've cut out caffeine.  I spent the afternoon yesterday putting a bag of sweet potatoes through the instant pot so that I can have some pre-cooked sweet potato ready to go.  It helps, but it's not as enjoyable as candy or soda.

#iwantbrownies

• Like 2

On 4/19/2018 at 9:37 AM, Susan in TN said:

I am hangry.  I need to finish putting away the groceries and do some pantry organizing but I'd really just like to lay down for 3 hours.  Didn't sleep well last night but I'm not sure why.  Dd11 is still running a low fever with a bit of congestion but is breathing OK.  Please pray she doesn't come down with pneumonia - it's been almost a year since she had it last.

Your DD is in my thoughts. There are some good expectorant herbal teas out there. Humidifier? Or is it already humid in Tennessee?

On 4/19/2018 at 9:55 AM, Jean in Newcastle said:

It's hard to kick butt when no one is answering their blankety blank phones! 

For real. My interview with the bad guys was postponed today.

On 4/19/2018 at 9:58 AM, prairiewindmomma said:

Magic School Bus has new episodes on Netflix. :)

Ooooh. I wonder if my 9yo will still like that.

On 4/19/2018 at 11:18 AM, Jean in Newcastle said:

I want to kick butts but everyone is keeping their butt tucked well out of my range.  It's a conspiracy, I tell  ya. 

Yes.

On 4/19/2018 at 11:29 AM, Slache said:

I forgot about mother's day. :svengo:

On 4/19/2018 at 11:35 AM, Jean in Newcastle said:

When is Mother's Day? 

I just realized that I not only am a mom, I have a mom. Gotta do something for mom's day.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:49 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yay, yay, yay, yay, yay!  Someone called me back!  Woo hoo!  We have movement!  And an appt!  Just on one issue but it's the most important issue so I'm glad. 

Wooooooo!

On 4/19/2018 at 2:27 PM, Slache said:

She makes me in charge of gift buying because I'm better at it. She's always hand picked gifts and they've always been $50+ more than she's willing to spend on anyone else because "she doesn't have the money but we do." Whatever. I gave up when I said we couldn't afford something and she told me to put it on a credit card. That's what she does. Racks up debt and has someone bail her out. No one bails us out though! Anyway. She'll ask us for a $170 necklace and we'll put $25 in her paypal and Matt will call her and tell her I said happy mother's day and that will be that. She's gotten tired in her old age and less willing to fight me on every little thing.

Your MIL is just so rude. I remember her from before. Asking for a gift, really!

On 4/19/2018 at 2:49 PM, Slache said:
  • 89 days until the in laws come.
  • 106 days to complete my weight loss goal.
  • 157 days until our 1st family vacation ever.
  • 347 days until I climb another mountain.
  • 1,173 days until the car's paid off.
  • 1,520 until we're debt free.

In case you were wondering.

I was. 106 days before your weight loss goal... how does that work... have you calculated the compounding caloric deficit required to achieve said goal? Mt. Hood? Adams? Which mountain?

The days before car paid off makes me gasp. 

22 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

European. 

I am calling the man of the house at work to tell him this joke. He's been bugging me with puns for the last 24 hours. This is PERFECT.

• Like 6

Back from messin' with the bees. No swarms available, but one of the traps has a swarm in it. Leaving it for now, and let the bee-man deal with it when he gets back. I mess with stinging insects. I sometimes, if coerced, will get up on a ladder. I do not do both at the same time.

I plan to finish revisions to this chapter after dinner and call it a night.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

I was. 106 days before your weight loss goal... how does that work... have you calculated the compounding caloric deficit required to achieve said goal? Mt. Hood? Adams? Which mountain?

The days before car paid off makes me gasp. 

I'm aiming for a certain amount per week which will have me at my weight loss goal in 105 days. I will probably fail, but I'm trying! Hood. Why the gasp?

• Like 1

I made myself a Mocha Fat-stripping Frappa a la’ THM and sat outside and finished “All the Light We Cannot See.” Ok, I think I need.... something to get over that book. It was absolutely amazing. The writing itself was absolutely exquisite, the story was heartbreaking and beautiful and depressing and touching and profound.....  In some ways it reminded me of “All Quiet on the Western Front” and not because they were both war books, but something about the writing in both seemed to just reach down and touch the part of your soul that is the softest and most tender. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KrissiK said:
51 minutes ago, Junie said:

I learned how to post pictures!

The Star Wars outfits OMG!!! I love them!

In some ways it reminded me of “All Quiet on the Western Front” and not because they were both war books, but something about the writing in both seemed to just reach down and touch the part of your soul that is the softest and most tender. 

You've convinced me to read it. I love All Quiet on the Western Front. It's just so present. So adolescent. It was my first grown-up book. I went from Babysitters Club to forced novels at school and fanfic, to All Quiet on the Western Front.

• Like 2

@Susan in TN He laughed so hard at that joke. "I am going to tell that to all my friends at this happy hour." It's apparently bad pun week at their work. He probably laughed even harder because I called him at work to tell it to him. 

@SlacheI have car payment phobia. I am not rich so all my cars are really crappy.

• Like 4

OK, Slache and other healthy eaters.

I have been gaining weight and would like to lose.

I can't exercise much at all, which means that I have to figure out how to lose weight by making better food choices.

My major dilemma is bedtime.

I have been having a bowl of pasta (a large, dinner-sized bowl) almost every night at about 11:00.  And I have been sleeping so well.  Really, really well, which is an awesome change after my bout with insomnia last year.  Other carbs work well, too, but pasta is my favorite.

I have always been a bedtime eater.  I wake up hungry in the middle of the night if I don't.

So, does anyone have any ideas of foods that I can eat at night to keep me full that don't have a ton of calories?

ETA:  It's a healthy-eating Booyah.

I liked the Brownie Booyah better.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I made myself a Mocha Fat-stripping Frappa a la’ THM and sat outside and finished “All the Light We Cannot See.” Ok, I think I need.... something to get over that book. It was absolutely amazing. The writing itself was absolutely exquisite, the story was heartbreaking and beautiful and depressing and touching and profound.....  In some ways it reminded me of “All Quiet on the Western Front” and not because they were both war books, but something about the writing in both seemed to just reach down and touch the part of your soul that is the softest and most tender. 

Sounds like you need a Bertie and Jeeves novel (PG Wodehouse).

Junie, that's a tough one!  I can't lose weight if I eat before bed, and I actually sleep better even if I go to bed a little hungry.  Ack.  We are opposites.  I'm thinking maybe a lighter grain, like couscous or quinoa with lots of veggies and hot tea or something to drink with it - might help fill you up with fewer carbs.  How about popcorn?

• Like 1

I'm still not comfortable with the new forum format. Apparently I don't like change where my online home is concerned.

I've been compensating by hanging out on a gardening forum. Which is no healthier for my budget than a homeschool forum. I've discovered several new plant varieties to lust after.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I can't exercise much at all, which means that I have to figure out how to lose weight by making better food choices.

I have been having a bowl of pasta (a large, dinner-sized bowl) almost every night at about 11:00.  And I have been sleeping so well.  Really, really well, which is an awesome change after my bout with insomnia last year.  Other carbs work well, too, but pasta is my favorite.

I have always been a bedtime eater.  I wake up hungry in the middle of the night if I don't.

So, does anyone have any ideas of foods that I can eat at night to keep me full that don't have a ton of calories?

Protein. Hard boiled eggs or chicken salad. Avoid pasta at all costs. Well, except for your sleep. What have you tried diet-wise in the past? High-fat low-carb? Paleo? Calorie restriction?

6 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

For some reason, this thread title always makes me think of cake. I don't even like cake that much.

I don't understand but now I want cake.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Slache said:

Protein. Hard boiled eggs or chicken salad. Avoid pasta at all costs. Well, except for your sleep. What have you tried diet-wise in the past? High-fat low-carb? Paleo? Calorie restriction?

I don't understand but now I want cake.

Hard boiled eggs -- I would have to eat a ton of them to feel full.  :(  Ok, maybe not a ton, but at least 6?

Chicken salad -- Wouldn't the mayo be just as bad as the pasta?

I haven't really tried anything in the past.  Weight gain is a new thing for me.

Other than pregnancies, I weighed the same + or - 5 pounds from college graduation until about 2 years ago.

I would like to lose about 30 pounds.

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Exercise doesn't even make me lose weight at all so I think you should be okay with food.

What about a big bowl of rice and veggies and fish or shrimp or something?

We don't eat according to any diets but we eat "real food" meaning, not fast food, not sugar, minimize white bread. 

Also, what do you eat for breakfast? Can you have tea until noon so you have at least 12 hours of not eating per day? If you ate dinner by 7 and breakfast at 7, that's a 12 hour fast. So if you're eating dinner at 11, then can you fast until 11 to eat breakfast? Those are my two tips. They are grandma-era tips. And no snacking between meals. If you have a Snickers for dinner, that's not great, but it's better than a Snickers and something else for dinner on top of it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

Hard boiled eggs -- I would have to eat a ton of them to feel full.  :(  Ok, maybe not a ton, but at least 6?

Chicken salad -- Wouldn't the mayo be just as bad as the pasta?

I haven't really tried anything in the past.  Weight gain is a new thing for me.

Other than pregnancies, I weighed the same + or - 5 pounds from college graduation until about 2 years ago.

I would like to lose about 30 pounds.

Then eat 6 eggs. Or 3 eggs, some green olives or 1/2 an avocado, and some tea. Fat is filling.

No, mayo is not as bad as pasta! Fat is better than sugar. Sugar is bad and pasta is sugar. No pasta. Especially not at night. If I were you I would cut out all pasta and bread, eat more fat, and walk when I can. I assume yoga is not an option? And daily walks are a no?

No sugar! No bread, no pasta, no candy.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

Exercise doesn't even make me lose weight at all so I think you should be okay with food.

What about a big bowl of rice and veggies and fish or shrimp or something?

We don't eat according to any diets but we eat "real food" meaning, not fast food, not sugar, minimize white bread. 

Also, what do you eat for breakfast? Can you have tea until noon so you have at least 12 hours of not eating per day? If you ate dinner by 7 and breakfast at 7, that's a 12 hour fast. So if you're eating dinner at 11, then can you fast until 11 to eat breakfast? Those are my two tips. They are grandma-era tips. And no snacking between meals. If you have a Snickers for dinner, that's not great, but it's better than a Snickers and something else for dinner on top of it.

Thank you.  I know I need to cut down on the pasta.  I eat some meat everyday, but it's not a comfort food for me the way pasta is.

I sometimes skip breakfast.  Maybe I should try that more often.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Slache said:

Then eat 6 eggs. Or 3 eggs, some green olives or 1/2 an avocado, and some tea. Fat is filling.

No, mayo is not as bad as pasta! Fat is better than sugar. Sugar is bad and pasta is sugar. No pasta. Especially not at night. If I were you I would cut out all pasta and bread, eat more fat, and walk when I can. I assume yoga is not an option? And daily walks are a no?

No sugar! No bread, no pasta, no candy.

I would have a really hard time giving up all pasta.  I eat bread maybe once a week.  I have eaten pasta nearly every day of my life.

I can't do yoga, but I am looking for a Tai Chi instructor.  

Daily walks are a no.  :(  

8 minutes ago, Junie said:

Thank you.  I know I need to cut down on the pasta.  I eat some meat everyday, but it's not a comfort food for me the way pasta is.

I sometimes skip breakfast.  Maybe I should try that more often.

Ultimately, calories do count. Usually eating meat makes it easier to eat less but if it doesn't fill you up, then you have to either accept that you're addicted to sugar/white flour and truly detox (doesn't sound like you're at the point where you're willing to go there), or you can reduce calories eating carbs alone.

You can also say, three nights a week you get your pasta, but you'll substitute 1 cup of roasted vegetables for the pasta. It's so easy to roast veggies while water boils: just dump a bag of broccoli and cauliflower or cut brussels sprouts on a pan, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 450 while the water boils. Then just boil a bit less pasta. Sub in more veggies as you go.

The best diet is the one you follow, and small changes are easiest.

When do your kids do school again? It's really hard to skip breakfast if you don't drink tea or coffee with cream, if you need a lot of stamina, but you could do it. Or, eat dinner at 10 and then don't eat breakfast until 10 at least. The whole fasting idea comes from, you can only eat so much in 12 hours, or 10 hours. I usually eat from 11 - 8, but I have a drink after (speaking of bad habits...).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

Ultimately, calories do count. Usually eating meat makes it easier to eat less but if it doesn't fill you up, then you have to either accept that you're addicted to sugar/white flour and truly detox (doesn't sound like you're at the point where you're willing to go there), or you can reduce calories eating carbs alone.

You can also say, three nights a week you get your pasta, but you'll substitute 1 cup of roasted vegetables for the pasta. It's so easy to roast veggies while water boils: just dump a bag of broccoli and cauliflower or cut brussels sprouts on a pan, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 450 while the water boils. Then just boil a bit less pasta. Sub in more veggies as you go.

The best diet is the one you follow, and small changes are easiest.

When do your kids do school again? It's really hard to skip breakfast if you don't drink tea or coffee with cream, if you need a lot of stamina, but you could do it. Or, eat dinner at 10 and then don't eat breakfast until 10 at least. The whole fasting idea comes from, you can only eat so much in 12 hours, or 10 hours. I usually eat from 11 - 8, but I have a drink after (speaking of bad habits...).

I am definitely addicted carbs (in this case to rice/rice pasta) and I am trying to make small changes.  I did a huge change 10 years ago when I went gluten free and emotionally I'm not ready to make another big change.

I have trouble with vegetables, especially right before I go to bed.  I ate peppers tonight at dinner and I will probably pay for it.  :(  I might be able to add some chicken or meat to my pasta and eat fewer carbs that way.

I don't drink coffee; mostly I drink water.  I drink sugary green tea at dinner sometimes.  

Thanks for brainstorming with me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Junie said:

I am definitely addicted carbs (in this case to rice/rice pasta) and I am trying to make small changes.  I did a huge change 10 years ago when I went gluten free and emotionally I'm not ready to make another big change.

I have trouble with vegetables, especially right before I go to bed.  I ate peppers tonight at dinner and I will probably pay for it.  :(  I might be able to add some chicken or meat to my pasta and eat fewer carbs that way.

I don't drink coffee; mostly I drink water.  I drink sugary green tea at dinner sometimes.  

Thanks for brainstorming with me.

Quinoa is more filling and less calories than rice. I do not like quinoa pasta.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Junie said:

Would mixed nuts be a good option for bedtime?

Maybe but calorie wise, they aren't great. The point of protein is to keep you full so you don't overeat during the day. If pasta is what fills you up at night, then I don't see the point of changing that.

Instead, I'd change everything else, to the point that even if you only have steamed vegetables during the day, you still get your pasta at night. So, cut calories where you can.

I would cut sugary drinks and learn to love La Croix and green tea without sugar. 

The one thing you don't want is to wake up hungry in the middle of the night and eat while you aren't awake. That will be a disaster for a diet because you can't make good choices while you are asleep. So you could do one of the "one main meal" diets and eat fruits, veggies, and legumes the rest of the day, more low cal. That might be more realistic for you. If you have to be social, another meal once in a while isn't going to kill you.

I'm not big on substitutes. I believe in moderation. I realize a big bowl of white pasta is not moderation per se, but ultimately, saying "never again" is emotionally super hard. I don't think I would give up white bread if I had bread-related cancer. I just wouldn't.

14 minutes ago, Slache said:

Quinoa is more filling and less calories than rice. I do not like quinoa pasta.

I can't cook quinoa--it's kind of my nemesis. But the Safeway pre-made quinoa that is frozen works.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Today is our day of craziness.  :willy_nilly:  (I know some of you have this every day.)  4 auditions, 3 concerts, 2 rehearsals, and 1 roller skating party.  

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee. ~D

You should make a 12 days of Christmas song out of this.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Junie, do you like plain baked yams?  That would be a carby comfort food that would be more nutritious and maybe help wean you off the pasta.  For me at least it’s much easier to overdo low nutrient foods than high nutrient ones.

i’d been having a real rough year so far and gained ten punds and felt really out of control with the eating and then last week I decided, well at least I should focus on eating more nutritious things.  I was surprised how much it helped me gain a little will power.  I’ve been able to eat low carb for the last week and down three pounds.

I have never had a plain baked yam/sweet potato.  I have always topped mine with butter and brown sugar.

I am trying to add in fresh fruit and carrot sticks to snack on instead of cookies or whatever.

The problem is that I grew up underweight and developed bad eating habits.

On 4/19/2018 at 4:01 PM, Junie said:

You have described my yard... and you have given me hope.

We don't seem to get many dandelions here.  Lots of clover, though.  It's a good thing we don't have much in the way of yard restrictions.  I like clover, and DH likes to cut our St. Augustine grass long.  This happens to preserve the clover blossoms, though that is not his reason for cutting the grass long.

We have honeysuckle, and a bit of star jasmine, though.  And crepe myrtles.  :  )

• Like 2

On 4/19/2018 at 4:27 PM, Slache said:

She makes me in charge of gift buying because I'm better at it. She's always hand picked gifts and they've always been $50+ more than she's willing to spend on anyone else because "she doesn't have the money but we do." Whatever. I gave up when I said we couldn't afford something and she told me to put it on a credit card. That's what she does. Racks up debt and has someone bail her out. No one bails us out though! Anyway. She'll ask us for a $170 necklace and we'll put $25 in her paypal and Matt will call her and tell her I said happy mother's day and that will be that. She's gotten tired in her old age and less willing to fight me on every little thing.

That is a good plan.

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

saturday!!:)

I spent the most divine hour in bed. The kids are still sleeping and DH went to his men’s coffee group at Starbucks, so I just laid there and dozed and listened to the mocking bird and other birds and the Saturday early morning sounds. We slept with the windows open, but it is cool enough this morning to pull up the comforter. Perfectly lovely.

• Like 6

Junie, I have no advice for you. I have never felt the urge to eat in the evenings. The most I have before bed is a cup of herbal tea. But I do have my own carb addiction issues. I’m doing the Trim Healthy Mama thing and made a tasty mocha sipper that I worked on most of the afternoon, had a good lunch and dinner, so I was NOT hungry, but I was fighting the urge to eat all afternoon. It was carb cravings.

Weight loss is such a struggle after 40 and I think I would be satisfied to stay at a certain weight, even if it was a little heavier than I prefer, if I would just stay there. But here we are, 4 months into 2018 and I am 9 lbs. heavier than at the New Year. At that rate I will have gained close to 30 lbs. in only a year. So, I am back at it with a vengeance. It’s a fight against myself every day.

• Like 1

My carb cravings came because overall my blood sugars were unstable.  As much as I have disliked it, eating lower carb overall has helped me be more stable and bring the craving under control. I suspect that my adrenals are pretty well trashed after using steroids as part of my RA treatment....because I feel awesome on steroids and that is not normal, iykwim.

My advice would be to add a lot of chicken to your pasta and gradually switch yourself over to a better carb/protein/fat ratio.  Also, add olive oil to your pasta.

I'm off to supervise work in the back yard today.  We've got some mulch to move post-treefall from where they ground the stump, and we've got some other work to do.  Currently we don't have much lawn back there--just patches + bare dirt.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

So far, I have found a little energy and motivation and finished 2 laundry loads, scooped litter, fed chickens, and cooked roasted cauliflower/broccoli, green beans, lemon pepper garlic chicken, and beans/corn mixture, and have taco chicken in the crockpot, planned menus, made tea, and eaten some yogurt.

Just a little energy. . . .     (insert fainting emoji here)

• Like 2