Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'll take the pounds, Spudz, if you will throw in a lower back that doesn't hurt from three days of driving. I'm hiding in my room waiting for the water to boil to make tea. I went out and walked the dogs and did the chores, but it didn't make me feel any better. I did sleep really well, though.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Deal. I’ll try to separate it from the jaw and neck that hurt from clenching.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Yesterday evening I managed to hiccup while yawning, and ever since my left TM joint has been hurting.  

#ignominiousinjury

• Like 1

We don't do Valentine's here. Maybe a card or some cookies but no gifts. DH knows I would rather him make a fuss over my birthday in a couple weeks than some random holiday.

This year he wants to buy me a new car that doesn't have some new problem every few months. I don't know if I will let him; it depends on the budget. I don't want another payment, so I will only agree if we can pay upfront.

• Like 4

I mailed my defensive driving stuff for my ticket dismissal.  Now I need to remember to send the insurance copy to my insurance for whatever discount they are offering.

And I finally ate breakfast.

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Woke up to a bunch of cats fighting.

No school today. DS has off, so i’m Letting the other kids have off, too. Although the older two are so far behind that they will likely be doing school all summer. At the very least math, since DS is 3 grade levels behind in math and DD is one.

Sorry, Junie!! I will refrain from Olympic spoilers.

Busy week here - homeschool Valentine’s party tomorrow, Wed. my baby and I both have dentist appointments and Thursday I go to the dermatologist. It’s just a check-up, but i’ve Found a mole that looks a little odd, so I will talk to her about that. She’s probably going to take it off. I prefer her to do that rather than the “watch it and see what it does†thing, because then I obsess about it.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

Ed po warning....

16yo ds has been using DO for pre-calc which is great.  But this is his 2nd year with DO and after a while the self-paced format gets old.  I think he needs a classroom for Calculus next year.  But how?  The local UMS doesn't offer past pre-calc.  Even if all the stars aligned and we got him in at the local community college, do I want him to take Calc in that setting?  In one semester?????  Maybe hiring a tutor is a better option????  I'm not big on trying live online.  I want something local.  But wantin' aint gettin'. 

Well, it'd only be Calc 1 in one semester, not all of calculus, and the people who take precalc senior year would be taking Calc 1 in one semester in college too. Do you know the quality of calculus at your CC? Most will have Calc 1, 2, and then Multivariable Calc, but occasionally one will have Calc 1, 2, 3, and then Multivariable Calc, so, less per semester. Also, some will be more rigorous than others, like focus more on proofs and things like the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, while some are less rigorous and just want you to apply basic limits, basic derivatives and basic integrals without much thinking. Now, if he wants to go into something that requires calculus, you'd want rigorous, but if he doesn't and you're just needing to do a math because colleges like to see math, then taking a not-so-rigorous CC calc course might be great for your situation. Remember that CCs typically have a tutoring center you can use if enrolled (though Calc tutors might be available only at certain times, not all the time they're open). I'd probably keep the rest of his schedule relatively light if it's his first CC course though.

Anyway, I have zero knowledge of DO, but if it works other than "it gets old", it might be worth sticking with it and maybe supplementing with something. It'd be just one more year, not ten more years. But again, I know nothing about it other than I've seen the name before on the boards (but I haven't even read any of the threads about it). 

• Like 1

Good morning. I  have a love- hate relationship with the weekend.  I enjoy being able to work on a few things other than the usual but the usual kitchen, laundry and even paperwork for school stuff is still there as well.  I haven't gotten to the point where I can really go off and enjoy myself on the weekend.  And weekends play havoc with my routines (which is great for variety but not so great when the routines are health related.) 

So today - start in on my routines again.  I've bounced back to the top of my 3 pound weight range.  I'm happy that this top ceiling is much lower than it used to be - in fact just a couple of weeks ago I was ecstatic when I reached this weight.  But I want to get back to the bottom of the 3 pound weight range again and then I want to drop another pound.  Because of past experience, I'm always afraid that that won't happen. 

So far today I have gotten a good sleep, charged my Fitbit, weighed myself and taken my bloodsugars (high "normal" fasting number - for a diabetic person that is).  I still have to make my magnesium/ electrolyte drink, take my meds and eat a balanced breakfast.  And shower and dress.  Oh and brush teeth.  Is there anything else in the health routine that I'm forgetting?  I think that I am getting an infection so maybe I should do the dreaded nasal rinse. 

• Like 5

hey all - popping in for an update - 

Dad has had to be restrained. He's pretty agitated and aggressive right now. He wants to leave and he isn't comprehending why he can't leave. He's ripped out 4 IVs and ripped off his heart monitors. 
However, the Dr says that his strength and aggression is actually a very good thing. 

Never thought I'd be happy that Dad was being aggressive to nurses. lol 

My BIL is there now and Mom is going home to rest. (She has a heart condition and her sleep is mandatory. She's currently been up since 5:30 yesterday morning.) I'm heading down there this afternoon and will be there for the rest of the week. 

The pastors and deacons from the church are taking turns visiting Dad and praying over him and reading Scriptures, which I know, deep down, is calming for him. 

Thank you for your prayers. You guys are awesome!

• Like 13

Dad has had to be restrained. He's pretty agitated and aggressive right now. He wants to leave and he isn't comprehending why he can't leave. He's ripped out 4 IVs and ripped off his heart monitors. 

However, the Dr says that his strength and aggression is actually a very good thing. 

My BIL is there now and Mom is going home to rest. (She has a heart condition and her sleep is mandatory. She's currently been up since 5:30 yesterday morning.) I'm heading down there this afternoon and will be there for the rest of the week. 

The pastors and deacons from the church are taking turns visiting Dad and praying over him and reading Scriptures, which I know, deep down, is calming for him. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Well, it'd only be Calc 1 in one semester, not all of calculus, and the people who take precalc senior year would be taking Calc 1 in one semester in college too. Do you know the quality of calculus at your CC? Most will have Calc 1, 2, and then Multivariable Calc, but occasionally one will have Calc 1, 2, 3, and then Multivariable Calc, so, less per semester. Also, some will be more rigorous than others, like focus more on proofs and things like the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, while some are less rigorous and just want you to apply basic limits, basic derivatives and basic integrals without much thinking. Now, if he wants to go into something that requires calculus, you'd want rigorous, but if he doesn't and you're just needing to do a math because colleges like to see math, then taking a not-so-rigorous CC calc course might be great for your situation. Remember that CCs typically have a tutoring center you can use if enrolled (though Calc tutors might be available only at certain times, not all the time they're open). I'd probably keep the rest of his schedule relatively light if it's his first CC course though.

Anyway, I have zero knowledge of DO, but if it works other than "it gets old", it might be worth sticking with it and maybe supplementing with something. It'd be just one more year, not ten more years. But again, I know nothing about it other than I've seen the name before on the boards (but I haven't even read any of the threads about it). 

All very good points.  Yes, I'm just talking about calc 1.  I had calculus as a senior in high school and had a great experience - and I'd love for him to have that too, not just check a box.  I don't know where my class was on the rigor scale, but I know it enabled me to get an A on the university's final which they allowed us to take for credit back in the day even though we weren't enrolled.  (We only kept the credit if we did later enroll at that university).  Anyway, I am concerned about whether the CC class would be remedial.  And I would prefer he take it at a highschool pace rather than a college pace.  Actually, I'm tempted to look up my calc teacher from highschool and see if she would teach him one on one, lol.  Derek Owens would definitely be our plan B if necessary.  

• Like 1

All very good points.  Yes, I'm just talking about calc 1.  I had calculus as a senior in high school and had a great experience - and I'd love for him to have that too, not just check a box.  I don't know where my class was on the rigor scale, but I know it enabled me to get an A on the university's final which they allowed us to take for credit back in the day even though we weren't enrolled.  (We only kept the credit if we did later enroll at that university).  Anyway, I am concerned about whether the CC class would be remedial.  And I would prefer he take it at a highschool pace rather than a college pace.  Actually, I'm tempted to look up my calc teacher from highschool and see if she would teach him one on one, lol.  Derek Owens would definitely be our plan B if necessary.  

Old high school teacher sounds like a good idea if you can get that to work out. If the college class is not rigorous enough, there is the option to retake it in university, and, if it's not rigorous enough, the odds that the pace is an issue are lower. I'm sure you've seen the advice on the high school/college board to ask math professors are your local U what they think of the CC's class, whether the students coming in with that are prepared enough, etc.

• Like 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Woke up to a bunch of cats fighting.

No school today. DS has off, so i’m Letting the other kids have off, too. Although the older two are so far behind that they will likely be doing school all summer. At the very least math, since DS is 3 grade levels behind in math and DD is one.

Sorry, Junie!! I will refrain from Olympic spoilers.

Busy week here - homeschool Valentine’s party tomorrow, Wed. my baby and I both have dentist appointments and Thursday I go to the dermatologist. It’s just a check-up, but i’ve Found a mole that looks a little odd, so I will talk to her about that. She’s probably going to take it off. I prefer her to do that rather than the “watch it and see what it does†thing, because then I obsess about it.

The girls and I will be schooling through the summer, too.  We started our writing curriculum today -- meant to start much earlier than this, but Dad Project and illness interruptions.  We also checked in on certain other subjects already in the works, modifying our pace on some that we resumed and just resuming others with the plan of going into the summer on those.  We have more subjects to start, too.  To DD16's relief she's almost done with U.S. Government.  To her dismay that was only supposed to be half the year, with Economics the other half.   :svengo:

And there are all those biology and botany science labs to work out and do....

And I'm still insisting on a Financial Fitness class for both of them (home-taught, not farmed out).

• Like 2

Drive carefully!  I'm glad you will be able to get there.

I'm glad for all of the support network currently on site and helping.  I hope your Mom gets good sleep and rest, and your Dad continues to improve.

• Like 1

:seeya:

Remember all of those shootings in my neighborhood I mentioned last fall? We decided to relocate.  It's been a crazy move (some of our stuff that we know made it onto the moving truck did not make it here), but we FINALLY have wi-fi again as of late last week.  Youngest is back at home full-time (no more preschool), so I have less time to be "here", but I wanted to pop in and say hello!  I miss all of you!

• Like 10

(((Mary and Mary's Dad and family)))

Hey, everyone. I haven't fully caught up, but I wanted to say hi. It was an intense and emotuonal weekend, but also really good. I believe DH when he says that one day apart was enough for him to realize what I've been saying and take it seriously. He's making a counseling appointment today, he's committed to following any recommendations even to going on medication (which he absolutely refused to even consider before), and he wants to go to church next weekend. I'm floored, and hopeful! I still have a voice of caution in the back of my head, but I truly hope all keeps on as it began. I will, of course, keep you posted. Thank you for your prayers and support.

Now that we're home, my kids are letting me know (in no uncertain terms) that they've been traumatized and are upset about it. So we're beginning the work of rebuilding their routines, and we're actually thinking about counseling for them, too. We did some exercise, some math, some handwriting, and some reading today. I just want to hold them in my arms and snuggle them until they feel safe again.

Love youenses. 💗

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Hi, Bookie!

I'm glad things are improving.  Keep that voice of caution, but continue to support the changes.  Counseling for ALL of you could be very helpful.

Don't worry about catching up here if you get too busy.  Just pop in from time to time to let us know how you are doing.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Booklets, too.

Bookie check-in Booya(h)!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 5

We have resorted to bribery. Finish one assignment; get one Oreo. Make Momma want to pull her hair out- no cookie for you.

Now I want Oreos!  For bribing, but also for teacher rewards (even though those are the last type of reward I need right now)....

• Like 1

I’ve had a headache since Thursday. I don’t know how you do it, Junie.

Thankfully the last few months have been much milder.  Taking a nap every.single.day seems to be the answer for me, at least in part.

I hope you feel better soon!!

(((Spud)))

• Like 3

((Mary)). Continuing to pray for your dad. My dad had some episodes (the doctors never knew what caused it, but thinks it is related to his dementia) last year where they had to restrain him in the hospital. He kept scratching himself and pulling out tubes, etc. That’s hard to see!!

Edited by KrissiK

:seeya:

Remember all of those shootings in my neighborhood I mentioned last fall? We decided to relocate.  It's been a crazy move (some of our stuff that we know made it onto the moving truck did not make it here), but we FINALLY have wi-fi again as of late last week.  Youngest is back at home full-time (no more preschool), so I have less time to be "here", but I wanted to pop in and say hello!  I miss all of you!

Welcome to your new home!  I'm glad you are back here!

I love Oreos.💕💕💕 With all my heart. I could eat them every day. And ice cream pie with crushed Oreo crust.

Now I want Baskin Robbins Peanut Butter & Chocolate ice cream.  With an Oreo cookie crust.

Good thing for my BG I don't have any of either in the house....

• Like 1

Colorado-po:

Xcel Energy is nice.  Stopping service with them is easy.  I didn't even have to create an online account for my hard-copy Dad in order to turn off the service to his apartment.  They are old-school-friendly.

Atmos Energy is a big bunch of turkeys.  To stop service online I have to create an online account.  Their password rules are both tortuous and torturous.  I tried calling them -- they have "high call volume".  I am now "in line" for a call-back in an hour or so.

I'm making a 100 dreams list as per directions in my book. Things like read Koine, have fresh flowers in the house, and Texas Water Safari are on it. What would be on your list?

Getting a good publishing contract and having tons of time to write all the books I want. That might be close to the top. 

More realistically, a nice fire in the fireplace this weekend and a foot rub.  :laugh:

• Like 3

I'm making a 100 dreams list as per directions in my book. Things like read Koine, have fresh flowers in the house, and Texas Water Safari are on it. What would be on your list?

Graduate my kids

See them well-set on their paths for adult life

Keep my patience in all my dealings with Dad

Continue to be there for him

Declutter this house

Keep visiting my BFF and DH's remaining grandma each year (and add Renai and anyone else onto the list that I can)

Visit another continent

Visit Hawaii again someday, preferably with our kids

Visit Alaska again someday

Visit the states in this country I haven't yet been to, plus the territories, protectorates, etc.

Design and build my own house, or have a significant influence and involvement in bringing an older house back to life

Write in general

Finally start writing the project that keeps niggling at my brain

Be there for DH's folks when they finally need someone to do so

Watch the northern lights again

Listen to snow fall

See the Southern Cross

Learn to pilot boats (and do it well)

Play with maps

Read

Finally get actually organized

See my sister again in person (outside of family funerals) -- her health and work permitting

Get through all of the boxes of old papers

Still be visiting ITT 50 years from now

• Like 3

Happy Monday!

And a Monday it is.  After confirming an endocrinologist appointment for ds3 twice in the last week, I promptly forgot all about it this morning.  Sheesh.  And the next available appointment is in three months.  Yee-haw.

I think it's time to rehire AMJ as my Household Manager.  And toss a few of the balls I'm currently juggling, too.  There is just not enough working memory space in my brain. 

• Like 1

I wrestle with the whole dreams thing.  I came face to face with my mortality a few years ago and I kind of realized that I am enough, I have done enough, and whatever I get to do is enough.  Does that make sense? That day will come for all of us---and it could be today when I'm in my car headed to Target to pick up Valentine's Day supplies---and I need to live my best life now and not leave things undone.

What are wishes that I hope life will bring?  I think a lot of these are travel adventures, some are everyday experiences that bring joy that I want to share with my kids, some are well wishes for my children, and a few are memories I want to preserve for my children's children.  If the money tree were to grow in my backyard, I'd love to hike Hadrian's wall, I'd love to volunteer in a variety of refugee camps for a couple of weeks at a time, I'd love to go to some cooking classes, I'd love to create a series of publications to interpret a historical site that's based around my family.....I have plenty of ideas, but I'm not wrapping life around to make those happen as I know that what I'm doing now is where I'm supposed to be.  I have simpler dreams, like helping a new mother feel cared for, when I go to clean her apartment for her on Thursday....  Tonight I'm hoping to bring delight to my daughter when we make valentines.....that kind of thing.  It's enough.  It's more than enough. :)

• Like 10

Happy Monday!

And a Monday it is.  After confirming an endocrinologist appointment for ds3 twice in the last week, I promptly forgot all about it this morning.  Sheesh.  And the next available appointment is in three months.  Yee-haw.

I think it's time to rehire AMJ as my Household Manager.  And toss a few of the balls I'm currently juggling, too.  There is just not enough working memory space in my brain. 

*currently fumbling too many balls*

When is the next appointment (date)?  

• Like 1

Slache--Texas water safari? The one from San Marcos out to the sea?  I've had friends who have done part of that journey, but that's pretty fierce.

Yes. I know. I'm a masochist.

Graduate my kids

See them well-set on their paths for adult life

Keep my patience in all my dealings with Dad

Continue to be there for him

Declutter this house

Keep visiting my BFF and DH's remaining grandma each year (and add Renai and anyone else onto the list that I can)

Visit another continent

Visit Hawaii again someday, preferably with our kids

Visit Alaska again someday

Visit the states in this country I haven't yet been to, plus the territories, protectorates, etc.

Design and build my own house, or have a significant influence and involvement in bringing an older house back to life

Write in general

Finally start writing the project that keeps niggling at my brain

Be there for DH's folks when they finally need someone to do so

Watch the northern lights again

Listen to snow fall

See the Southern Cross

Learn to pilot boats (and do it well)

Play with maps

Read

Finally get actually organized

See my sister again in person (outside of family funerals) -- her health and work permitting

Get through all of the boxes of old papers

Still be visiting ITT 50 years from now

We have some cross overs! Not really surprising. I'm only on 52.

I wrestle with the whole dreams thing.  I came face to face with my mortality a few years ago and I kind of realized that I am enough, I have done enough, and whatever I get to do is enough.  Does that make sense? That day will come for all of us---and it could be today when I'm in my car headed to Target to pick up Valentine's Day supplies---and I need to live my best life now and not leave things undone.

What are wishes that I hope life will bring?  I think a lot of these are travel adventures, some are everyday experiences that bring joy that I want to share with my kids, some are well wishes for my children, and a few are memories I want to preserve for my children's children.  If the money tree were to grow in my backyard, I'd love to hike Hadrian's wall, I'd love to volunteer in a variety of refugee camps for a couple of weeks at a time, I'd love to go to some cooking classes, I'd love to create a series of publications to interpret a historical site that's based around my family.....I have plenty of ideas, but I'm not wrapping life around to make those happen as I know that what I'm doing now is where I'm supposed to be.  I have simpler dreams, like helping a new mother feel cared for, when I go to clean her apartment for her on Thursday....  Tonight I'm hoping to bring delight to my daughter when we make valentines.....that kind of thing.  It's enough.  It's more than enough. :)

It's a book assignment and I have to do my assignments in order to get the oreos.

• Like 3

I'm done with my dream list for the day. We all sis it together. Mary's was JOHN MARY JOY PIZZA, John's was Pizza, Disney Land and a variety of toys. Her's mine so far (because I know you're dying to know) :

The Brain

1. Learn to draw, sing & play guitar.

2. Read for an hour a day.

3. Memorize excerpts from famous books, plays & speeches.

4. Study basic automotive maintenance and repair.

5. Study my ancestral customs.

6. Study higher mathematics.

The Tongue

1. Learn Koine, French & Russian.

2. Write bilingual poetry and short stories.

The Body

1. Live a Whole30 lifestyle.

2. Get in incredible shape.

3. Become a good belly dancer.

4. Texas Water Safari.

5. Flying Pig Marathon.

6. Climb Mount Hood.

The Miles

1. Go to Disney World.

2. Go to Hawaii.

3. Backpack through Europe.

4. Sail.

5. See the Aurora Borealis.

6. Swim in crystal waters.

7. Visit Israel.

The Family

1. Develop my patience as a mother.

2. See shows regularly.

3. Screenless family aside from one movie a week.

4. Take up archery as a family.

5. Organize family photos.

6. Go on monthly date nights.

7. Do “Mama & Me†letter journals.

8. Take a yearly family vacation.

9. Foster children.

10. Take weekly solo walks with my short people.

11. Read aloud every day.

12. Take dance classes with Matt.

The Rest

1. Become an amazing chef.

2. Be debt free with a home.

3. Always have fresh flowers in the house.

4. Volunteer in NICUs.

5. Develop my gypsy style and wardrobe.

6. Buy a papasan chair and roomba.

7. Have a sunroom.

8. Develop beautiful french handwriting.

9. Grow an herb garden.

10. Keep a timeline book.

11. Teach illiterate adults to read.

• Like 2