Menu

Ignore this thread!

Bah.  I forgot it was Sunday.  The grocery store can't sell me O'Doul's for Dad until after noon.  We will make a second stop on the way over to Dad's place.  Dh is helping me deliver a piece of furniture, and he will help hang pictures and do similar things, too.

• Like 3

It is 39 degrees F outside.  My half month in Colorado has gotten me somewhat accustomed to those temps again, and I found myself being a little bemused by locals not handling the chill quite as well.

• Like 1

I want to go to Ikea, but that's not happening today.  Likely not for another week or two, at the soonest.  That's okay, there are other things we will accomplish today.

I have already given up on tracking everything I'm doing with my time, but I am persisting to track time spent on Dad and Dad-related stuff.  I will also track MY time (not DH's) spent on homeschool, and my hours sleeping (or attempting such, when interrupted).  After I get these habitualized and settled I might add in some other stuff, but these will do for now.  The Dad Project is promising/threatening to become a full-time job (or more) if I am not careful.  I love having him here, but I HAVE to get other stuff attended to, as well.

• Like 1

Bah.  I forgot it was Sunday.  The grocery store can't sell me O'Doul's for Dad until after noon.  We will make a second stop on the way over to Dad's place.  Dh is helping me deliver a piece of furniture, and he will help hang pictures and do similar things, too.

Really?  I've never lived where there were blue laws.  They are only in effect for the morning? 

I want to go to Ikea, but that's not happening today.  Likely not for another week or two, at the soonest.  That's okay, there are other things we will accomplish today.

I have already given up on tracking everything I'm doing with my time, but I am persisting to track time spent on Dad and Dad-related stuff.  I will also track MY time (not DH's) spent on homeschool, and my hours sleeping (or attempting such, when interrupted).  After I get these habitualized and settled I might add in some other stuff, but these will do for now.  The Dad Project is promising/threatening to become a full-time job (or more) if I am not careful.  I love having him here, but I HAVE to get other stuff attended to, as well.

Once you get him settled, won't it drop off?  Does he have assisted living where he is?  As in are there people there who can do certain tasks for him?  At least within the facility? 

Really?  I've never lived where there were blue laws.  They are only in effect for the morning? 

Around here no alcohol (or near beer) sales before noon on Sunday.  Other states I have been there were no such sales allowed at all on Sunday.  I don't know if our local rule is Texas-wide or regional (I don't make such purchases often).

• Like 1

I don't know what the laws are here, but I was absolutely shocked when I went to college in Virginia and they sold beer and wine in the... grocery store.   :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

I think the laws have changed recently, but in Pennsylvania alcohol was never sold in a grocery store or a convenience store.  You had to actually go to a liquor store to buy anything with alcohol.

• Like 2

Once you get him settled, won't it drop off?  Does he have assisted living where he is?  As in are there people there who can do certain tasks for him?  At least within the facility? 

Some of it is supposed to drop off as we get him settled.  Theoretically, at least.  However there are stages (some of which can run concurrently, but all take time and effort):

1. Finish furnishing the apartment with stuff Dad needs -- this includes a TV stand, lamps, TV, DVD player, stereo, hanging pictures, setting up DirectTV, setting up a landline telephone (with 2-3 phones, for the 2-3 jacks in the apartment), laundry routine
  2. Deal with tax accountants, mail, and turning off utilities in his old place (now that the clean-out crew has finished)
  3. Set Dad up with local bank accounts and make sure all funds are being routed to the right accounts and tracked/recorded with redundancy
  4. Find someone to help me get Dad's whole Medicare number (I have his SSN, but not the letters that are a part of the number) and get Dad set up with GP, neurologist (MRI), dermatologist, dentist, eye doc, local branch of the pharmacy,...
  5. Get routine visits settled into the schedule at least twice a week (harder than it sounds at first)
  6. Schedule other routine timeslots for dealing with on-going Dad things (laundry, mail, finances, paying bills, running errands, etc.)

Every time I look around or I visit with Dad there's more magically appearing in the "AMJ will do this" category.  Dad (and I) have already had several weeks now (between Dec., Jan., and Feb.) of him being my primary or sole focus.  The habit is becoming entrenched, and I need to stop that and make room for resuming homeschool, dealing with prep for next year, handling my own things that have been left hanging (like sending in the final stuff for my speeding ticket dismissal), and not neglecting my family.  This has to be done consciously, or it will simply all get sidelined while I continue the habit of focusing just on Dad's stuff.

Some of the Dad stuff is also in danger of being left too long, too, since it has been put on hold while more urgent things were dealt with.

Basically I'm trying to get re-organized and re-focused again.  I'll get there, but I'll flounder a bit here and there and blow off steam as I go.  I am trying to take a tired brain that has been rather overwhelmed for a bit and getting it to see things fresh again.  Which sounds amazingly like what Dad has been dealing with for years now....

• Like 1

My boys continue to not fight.

I've been working on the constant fighting between these two for years.

I should have resorted to candy a long time ago...

Continue with periodic updates, please.  I might be mentioning this to an SIL or two in the future.  

I don't know what the laws are here, but I was absolutely shocked when I went to college in Virginia and they sold beer and wine in the... grocery store.   :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

I think the laws have changed recently, but in Pennsylvania alcohol was never sold in a grocery store or a convenience store.  You had to actually go to a liquor store to buy anything with alcohol.

Same thing back when I lived in Colorado.  It surprised me, too, to see the beer and wine sections in grocery stores.

• Like 1

Having those in the grocery store makes sense, as you can cook with them. What doesn't make sense (to me) is that you can't sell liquor in the grocery store as well. I mean, you can get just as drunk on wine as on rum, so, why the separate store?

At least with our local small grocery store there is a local small (but very good) liquor store two doors down.  And a bigger, fancier, more expensive liquor store across the street.  I have visited both, and I prefer the smaller.  They give out free bottles of water with every purchase, too.

My lunch today is similar to yesterday's supper.  I have cut myself a few slices of sausage and put them on a small sheet pan with sweet potatoes and mushrooms.  It's my lunch, so I don't care if the rest of the family doesn't care for mushrooms or sweet potatoes.  They can fix their own.

#Igetyummieseveniftheothersdon'twantthem

I've never seen Lord of the Rings.

My mom refuses to live in a state that doesn't have alcohol on sale 24/7 "on principle".

My baby is still sick. :(

My Mooies is 5 in a week. :crying:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure we have no liquor sales on Sunday unless it's changed and I didn't know it.  

Grocery stores here can sale beer, but everything else is separate.  One of our popular grocery chains, Krogers, now has a Krogers Wine and Spirits - sometimes next door to its grocery stores.  The only place I've seen wine in a grocery store (not that I'm an big traveler) was at the beach.   :thumbup1:

I have returned. Woke up to a nice slick of ice covering my truck, but the roads and bridges were okay. Came home and it's spitting snow. Yesterday it was almost 65F. :glare: Now I'm very tired, cold and a hot bath is sounding like the best idea ever.

I raised general awareness of peanut allergy today.

• Like 5

Hey guys, 

Can you keep my dad in your prayers? 

He was cleaning ice off their church parking lot and fell. He hit the back of his head pretty hard and was unconscious for several minutes. My brother-in-law was with him and called the paramedics.

He is now awake and conscious, but pretty disoriented and not truly alert. He will recognize Mom sometimes, but other times not. 
He does have a skull fracture on the left side and there is a small blood clot, but the bleed is not on the brain. Drs are monitoring the clot and are giving him medications to prevent seizures. They do expect the subdural clot to go away on it's own and the concussion symptoms should go away this week. 
He will be in ICU for the next couple of days.

**The fracture is near the left auditory nerve which is resulting in diminished hearing. Dad is a musician, so he needs that hearing. The ear dr says he can't find any reason for the loss of hearing and that it's likely permanent; the ER dr says it might be due to swelling and that we'll know more in the next 24 hours. 

Unfortunately, I'm iced in as well and can't get down to them. I'll be going down on Tuesday though. 

• Like 1

Hey guys,

He was cleaning ice off their church parking lot and fell. He hit the back of his head pretty hard and was unconscious for several minutes. My brother-in-law was with him and called the paramedics.

He is now awake and conscious, but pretty disoriented and not truly alert. He will recognize Mom sometimes, but other times not.

He does have a skull fracture on the left side and there is a small blood clot, but the bleed is not on the brain. Drs are monitoring the clot and are giving him medications to prevent seizures. They do expect the subdural clot to go away on it's own and the concussion symptoms should go away this week.

**The fracture is near the left auditory nerve which is resulting in diminished hearing. Dad is a musician, so he needs that hearing. The ear dr says he can't find any reason for the loss of hearing and that it's likely permanent; the ER dr says it might be due to swelling and that we'll know more in the next 24 hours.

Unfortunately, I'm iced in as well and can't get down to them. I'll be going down on Tuesday though.

Oh no!

Praying.

• Like 1

Thank you, all. 

My sister is up there and said that he's feisty when he's awake. The nurse needed to put in a second IV and she kept asking him his name until he would respond. She turned her back and he rolled his eyes twice. lol So, he's got his "grumpy old men" attitude in place. lol 

It is so scary, but they have a wonderful church. Dad is a deacon at the church and they've been there for probably 40 years. My sister was iced in - she lives on a pretty steep hill - and wasn't able to get up there right away. But, a pastor has been with my mom all morning and another friend came up, so I'm at least at peace with the fact that Mom isn't alone. 

• Like 9

I have returned. Woke up to a nice slick of ice covering my truck, but the roads and bridges were okay. Came home and it's spitting snow. Yesterday it was almost 65F. :glare: Now I'm very tired, cold and a hot bath is sounding like the best idea ever.

I raised general awareness of peanut allergy today.

I'm glad you are home safe and sound.  Part of me is a little jealous of the snow, but the still-tired-from-the-Colorado-mess part of me is relieved we didn't get it.  Still, it's a cold day here today.  Dad was having fun talking weather over breakfast with his new friend today.

DH and I just got back from Dad's place.  It took us two solid hours of rather whirlwind activity, but pictures are unpacked and hung on the wall, a 4x2 Kallax is now installed as an entertainment center, the stereo for Dad (am/fm, cd, and 3-speed record player) is all set up, Dad's LPs are all unpacked, his new stick vacuum has been set up and run, and Dad now has a new electric razor all set up in its charging/cleaning pod.  We hung several things on the walls of Dad's exterior entry (the part neighbors see as they pass in the hall), so now his place has external as well as internal character that is all Dad.  He's still giggling over the fact we managed to include one small picture in the external display -- a flight engineer (Dad's old job) kicking the tires of a jet aircraft.

DH also installed some battery-operated, motion-activated lights in two key locations on the walls.  If Dad needs to stumble anywhere during a power outage or emergency he will have light to do so.

Oh, yeah, I forgot:  we also stopped at Home Depot (after the grocery store again, just after noon, so I could get Dad's O'Doul's) and picked up two floor lamps with 5 gooseneck heads on each.  DH put LED bulbs in them, plugged them into the switch-controlled sockets in the living room and bedroom, and now Dad's place is all aglow and no longer the rather dark little cave it was.

Dad seemed very happy with everything when we left.

:001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  my DH.  I truly picked a winner.

• Like 10

Hey guys, 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Listen to the ER doc on the hearing.  They see a lot of this stuff.  Wait and see, and we will all be praying.

• Like 3