Menu

Ignore this thread!

Just do a free practice test.  If she is likely to qualify for National Merit, THEN do the PSAT prep thing.  Like, during the school year 15 minutes a day.  College Board has a SAT question of the day and Khan has free prep.

Generally, I don't think it's something to spend a lot of time on UNLESS you are aiming for National Merit.  Which might make it worth it.  Like, say you live in a state that gives a full-ride to the Univ. of State for finalists.  Then, yeah, I'd prep the bejeepers out of it.  Meaning 15 minutes a day.  Which isn't bad.  Ask me how I know.

Would it be safe for me to ignore such tests entirely for 10th grade, and only get started on those worries later?

#stillneedtoprocrastinateonsomethings

I ran out of likes on this.  Seriously?  Is there no justice on this planet???? :svengo:

Thank you, Susan.  I haz the sadz today.  I tried to post a picture, but the site wouldn't let me post a jpeg and I don't know how to fix it.

And at least my animals love me.  My barn kitties have been by the front step twice already demanding treats.  Because they love me.  For my personality and startling good looks.

We love you, too!   :grouphug:

• Like 1

There, there, Slachey, of course that's true!  Teens are completely self-motivated, cheerful, and independent. 

Also, politicians are honest servants of the people, all bugs stay outside, and babies come toilet-trained.

Oh, okay, in THAT reality.

I wanna go there.

• Like 1

I'm actually getting another official auntie in a week. My uncle's wife died in a car crash two years ago and he's getting remarried. I'm so happy for him. He was so lost after she died -- they were inseparable -- he could easily have settled for someone not great, but the lady he found is just wonderful. :)

Congrats to them both!  And to lucky you!

Jean--are you completely sure it's cellulitis and not an inflammatory reaction to mosquitos? My kids have dramatic swelling with mosquito bites. We have had cellulitis and MRSA too....it is a differently shaped mound.

As to whether to take her in, I would give it one more day, give her an antihistamine, and do an epsom salt soak followed by more TTO. I would also do a black sharpie circle. I don't mess around with cellulitis but I am also aware that systemic abx can really mess up a person. If she has no fever, I would watch her trend one more day.

DS and I have spent 3 hours cleaning his room. We are taking a break before heading back in. He's 15...you can maybe imagine how bad it was, but I'm starting to be able to picture the end.

Someone remind me every day to do an inspection so it never gets like that again! We're taking out a lot of stuff so hopefully it will be easier. And his room flooded with a pipe leak last week which made it worse than normal, but maybe easier too b/c it made some decisions to toss stuff obvious. 

If your DS was 16yrs older than baby DS would you save clothes and stuff? I'm thinking no, but it feels a little wasteful. I've set aside the high end brands and put the other stuff in a Goodwill pile.

A lot of elastics will deteriorate over that span of time.  It would be better to pass on any elastics and buy those as the younger child needs them.

Certain fabrics will yellow over time, too.

An ask-me-how-I-know booya(h)!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 2

Also, I would have her cut her fingernails and treat that and her nostrils with a triple antibiotic. She picked up that bacteria from somewhere and you don't want it establishing itself. We would always do a hibiclens wash of the body as well and bleach out the bathrooms.

I never heard of treating freshly trimmed nails with antibiotic ointment.  That works?

We are having another round of short notice guests tomorrow. Again, no fish! Sheesh!

I finally have everything back in my closet, and my house is almost clean. I still need to make a Costco run.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Jean--are you completely sure it's cellulitis and not an inflammatory reaction to mosquitos? My kids have dramatic swelling with mosquito bites. We have had cellulitis and MRSA too....it is a differently shaped mound.

As to whether to take her in, I would give it one more day, give her an antihistamine, and do an epsom salt soak followed by more TTO. I would also do a black sharpie circle. I don't mess around with cellulitis but I am also aware that systemic abx can really mess up a person. If she has no fever, I would watch her trend one more day.

We did the black sharpie circle last night. We're actually in the waiting room so too late in waiting! (Part of what pushed me over the edge into going is the holiday tomorrow. ). Plus it is quite warm to the touch and is getting redder today instead of the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Would it be safe for me to ignore such tests entirely for 10th grade, and only get started on those worries later?

#stillneedtoprocrastinateonsomethings

Depends on the NM thing, IMO.  If she's likely to qualified, I'd spend some time this year prepping.  I would NOT want to be in the position to cram right before the real thing in fall of junior year.  But this is definitely one of those "your mileage may vary" situations.

AMJ--if she has skills, there are a number of institutions here that offer complete full rides: tuition, fees, books, room & board.

I do agree YMMV. Ds gets his math skills from dh, though, so I think it is a goal worth going after.

Ooo, which ones?

ETA:  Are they for everyone or residents only?

Edited by JoJosMom

So, what kind of names is he looking for? rubbinghands.gif

Not that I'll be a whole lotta help, but there's smart people on this thread.

Well, he named the protagonist Everest. And it looks like he called the first buddy Soveri. I could help him myself though, but I think it's good for him to try to come up with names etc on his own. 

So Rainbow Resource says their prices will be going up after July 5th. Does this mean I should place my order today? I think my list is pretty much decided on.

IIRC, their prices *might* increase... basically, they'll have their 2017-2018 prices after that, so the items you want may or may not be more expensive. From last year, iirc, people were saying it didn't make a difference for them, or made only a few dimes worth of difference at the most. Of course, past results blah blah blah... if you know what you want, might as well buy it now. I wouldn't make impulse buys though. 

If your DS was 16yrs older than baby DS would you save clothes and stuff? I'm thinking no, but it feels a little wasteful. I've set aside the high end brands and put the other stuff in a Goodwill pile.

I probably would keep most of it, but the elastic will likely deteriorate. My kids wore some of the same things I wore when I was a baby (I'm the oldest, I've got a little brother, and then my mom was thinking of having more kids when we moved, and never did, but just kept the clothes stored in the attic... and then dug them up when I had Celery when I was 23). 

DD15 will be in 10th this next year.  I hadn't given a thought yet to ACT, SAT, PSAT....   :leaving:

I'm contemplating having Celery do the SAT8/9 this coming year, and the SAT at 12yo, which seems to be pretty standard.  :leaving:

#spenttoomuchtimeonacceleratedlearnerboard

A lot of elastics will deteriorate over that span of time.  It would be better to pass on any elastics and buy those as the younger child needs them.

Certain fabrics will yellow over time, too.

An ask-me-how-I-know booya(h)!

I don't think any of mine had yellowed. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

I probably would keep most of it, but the elastic will likely deteriorate. My kids wore some of the same things I wore when I was a baby 

I like the nostalgia... even with just the 3.25 year gap between mine, it was really cool to rediscover clothes my oldest had worn when my youngest wore them.

• Like 1

Paige, I was thinking the same thing. I would not save for 16 year gap.

I have not saved anything for my boys' 10-year gap, and it was a good decision because where would I put it all and also these two boys have totally different shapes. Oldest has been an over 6' tall bean pole since he was 14yo, while ds12 is stockier and *might* get up to 5'11". I think I have a couple nice white dress shirts still hanging in the closet.

• Like 2

At the pharmacy. Doctor thinks that Prairie is right and that it isn't cellulitis. But he prescribed a steroid cream. And an antibiotic to have on hand just in case. I will wait to see how things go on the abx but it will be good to have some in case we need it. Dd does tend to react to mosquitoes. You should have seen her when we were in the Philippines, poor girl.

• Like 5

I like the nostalgia... even with just the 3.25 year gap between mine, it was really cool to rediscover clothes my oldest had worn when my youngest wore them.

:)

There is also a 10-year gap between my girls, but there are plenty of opportunities for the clothes to be used. There are a few holiday dresses that all my girls have worn and they always make me smile.

• Like 1

DS and I have spent 3 hours cleaning his room. We are taking a break before heading back in. He's 15...you can maybe imagine how bad it was, but I'm starting to be able to picture the end.

Someone remind me every day to do an inspection so it never gets like that again! We're taking out a lot of stuff so hopefully it will be easier. And his room flooded with a pipe leak last week which made it worse than normal, but maybe easier too b/c it made some decisions to toss stuff obvious. 

If storage space is tight, I would not keep them.

I started getting rid of most of ds16's current clothes a few years ago.  We have not had a baby in almost 7 years, so we might be done.  I still have most of his clothes from the younger years.  *If* we were to have another baby, and *if* it were a boy, there would be a 50 percent chance that the baby would inherit a family birth defect.  If so, said child would be short and ds16's clothes would not fit him anyway.

Doing the math:  If I were to have another baby:  At best, I have a 50 percent chance of having a boy (although according to my signature it is much lower than that).  And there is a 50 percent chance that the child would be anywhere close to ds16's height.  I decided that the chance of ever using the clothes was too low to bother.

If I were already expecting a boy, I would keep them.  We have an unfinished basement, so we have plenty of room to keep a lot of clothes.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1

PS.. going in also gave me a chance to ask the doc a couple of celiac questions.

Jean, do you have stinging black flies where you live? I get enormous itchy red lumps that tend to burst and weep.😱

In all seriousness, Slache, my children are wonderful people whose behavior is commented on (positively) in public. That said, teens are very much like toddlers. The "golden age" of homeschooling, imp, is ages 8-11.

This is not true. 9yo is not a great age. I'm glad I've seen some other people (iirc Farrar and some others) post that tween boys suck and that they're better after that. Obviously, mileages vary, but just saying that if 8-11 isn't great, it doesn't mean the teen years won't be (and obviously, the teen years will be great. Nobody can tell me otherwise). 

I don't expect high school to be easy. I do hope to raise fairly self-sufficient teens, but life is hard and all of my children are very different.

I do think it's funny that Lana was the only one to like my post. :)

The rest are old enough to know better. 

Doing the math:  If I were to have another baby:  At best, I have a 50 percent chance of having a boy (although according to my signature it is much lower than that).  And there is a 50 percent chance that the child would be anywhere close to ds16's height.  I decided that the chance of ever using the clothes was too low to bother.

My almost-10yo mostly wears a size 7. So, if I had a kid 10 years older than him, it wouldn't mean he couldn't wear the same clothes... just that he'd wear them more than 10 years later. Also, all baby clothes are unisex (even if they're pink dresses).

For the record, my youngest doesn't fit into all of my oldest's clothes, due to being chubbier than skinny Celery. Though quite a bunch of it would fit if he'd wear it now... but Celery is still wearing it. IIRC all the baby clothes fit fine though.

• Like 2

My almost-10yo mostly wears a size 7. So, if I had a kid 10 years older than him, it wouldn't mean he couldn't wear the same clothes... just that he'd wear them more than 10 years later. Also, all baby clothes are unisex (even if they're pink dresses).

I meant the clothes that ds16 wears now.  He is a good 6 inches taller than a kid with our family's birth defect would ever be.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, Slache, my children are wonderful people whose behavior is commented on (positively) in public. That said, teens are very much like toddlers. The "golden age" of homeschooling, imp, is ages 8-11.

!!!

Paige, I'd save a few items of clothing, but not the whole lot. But in my family, it went

skinny girl born in December

sturdy girl born in October ~ 9 years later

skinny girl born in August, so not in the same size as eldest in the same season

mid-sized boy

*water damage that destroyed many items*

teeny girl who grew sturdier, born in December 24 years after the first

skinny boy grandson six years after that.

So, you know, a few blankets made it through the whole troop, but it's not like my mom could reasonably have saved a lot of money by handing all the clothes down. We stained a lot anyway.

Still cleaning DS's room....and then I spilled coffee all over his bed.  :glare: I did it, but he shouldn't have had a full old nasty mug there. I cleaned it as best as I could for now, but he's going to be smelling coffee for a while. 

I have 1 junk drawer, and a shelf full of bins of old toys to go through and then we'll have cleaned all the things! I already vacuumed but may need to touch that up one more time. We'll probably finish tomorrow morning. 

• Like 4

Decaf tea. Because tired, but want to sleep tonight. Once the fireworks die down. We've had neighbors shooting them off for about a week now. I wouldn't mind that much, only I'm just very tired and I want to get to sleep a little early tonight.

• Like 1

Renai, how's my 1st/PK Spanish plan so far?

1. Curriculum (John only)

1. Getting Started With Spanish as an introduction to grammar

2. Copywork

2. Audiobooks

1. De Calores

2. Song School Spanish (CD only)

3. Nursery Rhymes on youtube

3. Read alouds & Readers

1. 50 Authentic Spanish Picture Books

2. Books they’re familiar with in English

1. Arandanos Para Sal

2. Se Venden Gorras

3. El Conejito Andarin

4. Un Dia de Nieve

5. ¿Eres Mi Mama?

6. Mike Mulligan y su máquina maravillosa

7. Ve, Perro. Ve!

8. Sapo y Sepo son amigos

9. La historia de Ping

10. Harold y el Lapiz Color Morado

11. Anything else I can think of

3. Bilingual Books

1. Laughing Out Loud, I Fly

2. This List

4. Screens

1. Disney

2. Magic School Bus

The boys are out playing basketball. And to think, I had to badger to get that goal put up a year ago. Brilliant idea, that. Everything is about done for the evening except I'm still trying to get at least 1K of story written today. Family excursions are not good for the writing life, sadly.

• Like 3