Menu

Ignore this thread!

I know how. I'm just not as fond of that era of history. Or that genre. I prefer a good mystery. I have been watching the Doctor Blake Mysteries and the Father Brown Mysteries on PBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy a good period drama now and then. Especially when the main character is incredibly hot.
  • Like 2

I went to bed at seven and woke up at two. Per usual. Wide awake. Hips too painful for sleeping. So I got up, took some ibuprofen, and some Benedry (because also stuffed up) and got a head start on the grocery list. Got back to sleep maybe around five. At least this time I wasn't crying, because today I could take a nap if needed. And because I got five hours straight, which beats three. 

• Like 3

Ohhhhh JJM!!!! Your services are needed!!

you-talking-to-me-smiley-emoticon.gif

scratching-head-smiley-emoticon.gif

smiley-throwing-bomb.gif

• Like 10

I have ONE brave child at home (the other one can't even go down a two step staircase without hesitating and looking). Brave one climbed up on some railroad thing while we were hiking one day. Scary for me!! And he climbs to the top of the taller tennis court fences. He's the reason we go to the rock climbing gym!

This is me.  When I was a kid I also wouldn't jump off of anything 3 feet high or higher (and won't attempt it now, with my knees).  Even jumping off of a chair or bench was questionable.  It might be a balance thing, a proprioception thing, or a combination of the two.  I still sometimes have trouble on the stairs -- even halfway down I can suddenly need to stop and reassess.  If I don't I will lose balance and fall; it's like my brain didn't translate the visual cues into the proper calls for action from my feet and body.

In my experience practice helps, though fatigue, feeling poorly, sadness over something, or distraction can make it worse for a spell.  Let your child be the judge of when to be cautious, and perhaps point out sometime that this has nothing to do with bravery.  (S)He is not chicken or a coward if (s)he decides to be more cautious, even when the other kids think nothing of doing something.

It's the Starbucks. I know a guy who had stomach problems for years and when he stopped drinking their coffee, his stomach problems went away. He can drink other brands of coffee fine.

That would explain why the very occasional cup at someone else's house rarely, if ever, set my stomach off.

I like Starbucks but I don't drink coffee. I go there for hot chocolate and passion iced tea (no sweetener). Plus, they just came out with a gluten free breakfast sandwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They used to have a honey yogurt parfait I really liked, though they haven't had that one in a while and I really shouldn't eat it anyway anymore.  They changed their chai a while back (when they did that deal with Oprah), and it became WAY too sweet for me.  They also simply will not carry decaf chai, so I very rarely go in for the chai treat I used to get at least once a week (usually with a yogurt parfait).

I'll still go from time to time, usually if I have one or more kids in tow who deserve a treat.  We'll usually get a pastry, and various of the kids like to order various drinks without the coffee in them.  I might have hot chocolate, if it's not too hot out.

I might have to try that passion iced tea.

I have ONE brave child at home (the other one can't even go down a two step staircase without hesitating and looking). Brave one climbed up on some railroad thing while we were hiking one day. Scary for me!! And he climbs to the top of the taller tennis court fences. He's the reason we go to the rock climbing gym!

This is me.  When I was a kid I also wouldn't jump off of anything 3 feet high or higher (and won't attempt it now, with my knees).  Even jumping off of a chair or bench was questionable.  It might be a balance thing, a proprioception thing, or a combination of the two.  I still sometimes have trouble on the stairs -- even halfway down I can suddenly need to stop and reassess.  If I don't I will lose balance and fall; it's like my brain didn't translate the visual cues into the proper calls for action from my feet and body.

In my experience practice helps, though fatigue, feeling poorly, sadness over something, or distraction can make it worse for a spell.  Let your child be the judge of when to be cautious, and perhaps point out sometime that this has nothing to do with bravery.  (S)He is not chicken or a coward if (s)he decides to be more cautious, even when the other kids think nothing of doing something.

I forgot to comment on this earlier.  My dd9 used to be very, very timid on stairs.  She took forever.  Then we found out that she has very, very poor vision.   :svengo: Glasses made a huge difference for her.

• Like 2

I have not seen Poldark, nor do I know what it is. I never watch anything. I spend all my time here. #morededicatedthanyou :lol:

I was living my life quite happily until someone brought it up here and I got intrigued. It's a PBS Masterpiece Theater Period Drama about this guy who fought in the Rev. War for the Brits and then comes home to Cornwall and tries to put his life back together after he finds out his father dies and his ancestral home (such as it is, dad was the younger brother,so he inherited a broken down farm and some old mines) is in shambles, He's handsome and brooding there's always this scene with him riding his horse like a bag out of he11 on the cliffs of Cornwall. And there's unrequited love and evil rich people, but of course Poldark is kind and compassionate and collects the down and out like stray puppies...

And I'm barely through the second episode.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

I need to go clothes shopping. It will be depressing when I do. I always feel like I'm wasting time when I shop. It takes forever and I very seldom find anything I like. 

I detest the process too. 

Online is so much better, once you figure out what shops you like and how you fit their sizes.  

Somewhere around here there is a thread on this....

• Like 3

Happy Sunday!

We* had a productive Saturday morning yesterday (monthly grocery shopping, food prep, gardening, toooooooter planning, a trip to Home Depot -- including making bug-boxes -- and Target, never mind keeping everyone alive).  

We celebrated with a trip to a nearby port town, which turned out to be (as ds9 put it) The Best Day Ever.  Walked the boardwalk, played at two playgrounds, climbed rocks by the river, hit the best little toy shoppe in the world (the old-fashioned non-chain kind that warrants being spelled "shoppe" when describing it), rescued an adorable stuffed bunny from said Shoppe and brought him home (he is named Basil Stag Hare because he is a brave and noble and valiant bunny), got pizza, got ice cream, and then as it got dark, the kids played in their swimsuits in the street fountains with hs-ing friends we'd bumped into.  And I got a Starbucks Super Strong Awesome Coffee that Never Bothers My Tummy.  Oh, and then a sweet girl and her brother showed up and brought out light-up bubble guns, so there were colorful lights and bubbles by the millions (as if street fountains in the dark weren't enough).  And then as we headed along the river walk back to the van, there were fireworks, just across the river.  Close enough to see perfectly, far enough to not scare ds3.  

So yeah.  Best Day Ever.  It's good to have those once in a while.   :hat:

*We means not just me, as dh was instrumental in most of this. 

• Like 12

What interests me most so far about Poldark is that it takes place in Cornwall, which is the setting for Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series. I keep wondering which of those cliffs has a hole that leads to the thing. And when are they going to make a Green Witch? :D

• Like 2

I suppose it is time to get up and do something. I've been writing. That counts, but there is okra to pick and I know it is growing as I type. Because okra is kind of the mutant alien space crop that takes over the garden about this time of year.

• Like 2

Happy Sunday!

We* had a productive Saturday morning yesterday (monthly grocery shopping, food prep, gardening, toooooooter planning, a trip to Home Depot -- including making bug-boxes -- and Target, never mind keeping everyone alive).

We celebrated with a trip to a nearby port town, which turned out to be (as ds9 put it) The Best Day Ever. Walked the boardwalk, played at two playgrounds, climbed rocks by the river, hit the best little toy shoppe in the world (the old-fashioned non-chain kind that warrants being spelled "shoppe" when describing it), rescued an adorable stuffed bunny from said Shoppe and brought him home (he is named Basil Stag Hare because he is a brave and noble and valiant bunny), got pizza, got ice cream, and then as it got dark, the kids played in their swimsuits in the street fountains with hs-ing friends we'd bumped into. And I got a Starbucks Super Strong Awesome Coffee that Never Bothers My Tummy. Oh, and then a sweet girl and her brother showed up and brought out light-up bubble guns, so there were colorful lights and bubbles by the millions (as if street fountains in the dark weren't enough). And then as we headed along the river walk back to the van, there were fireworks, just across the river. Close enough to see perfectly, far enough to not scare ds3.

So yeah. Best Day Ever. It's good to have those once in a while. :hat:

*We means not just me, as dh was instrumental in most of this.

Sounds absolutely wonderful.

• Like 1

The harvesting of okra has been done, and we got a few tomatoes for tomorrow's grilled hamburgers. I'm supposed to make deviled eggs. I think I'll have to make a milder version of what I usually make, though. :D  I've half a mind to do something with these extra hot peppers, but I'll wear gloves if I do!

The boys harvested some bulbs of Egyptian walking onion to plant. I weeded one more of the raised beds, and that makes three to mulch once we have the paper for it. I have one straw bale, and that ought to be enough for those three beds. That leaves me the asparagus bed to fight, and three small beds that don't need a whole lot of work. Then I'm done with all that.

• Like 6

Anyone else waiting for the back to school sales like "open open open"? 🤓 

Not yet, but I'm sure I'll be all over it after I see the deals on notebooks. Sadly, the legal pads that my kids now favor for writing stories almost never go on sale. :glare: I got them hooked on them. I've only myself to blame. :D

• Like 3

***Educational post alert***  Actually, a question.

Before I go swimming in the seas (or search the seas, because I think it's been asked before....)

Tell me about "graduation date" for taking the ACT, PSAT, etc.  

So, 15yo ds could be a sophomore or a junior (so, could graduate 2020 or 2019).  I'm registering him for the September ACT.  I can't decide which grad date to put.  If I keep it 2020, and he ends up graduating 2019, no one cares right?  

And for the PSAT, - we either call him 2020 and if he by some chance got NMS, we could tell them he's actually a junior?  Or we could call him a junior and if he makes it he makes it and if he doesn't he doesn't.  

If it sounds like I'm rambling, yes, I kind of am.  But if you can find my question in there, please feel free to answer it.   :D

• Like 1

***Educational post alert*** Actually, a question.

Before I go swimming in the seas (or search the seas, because I think it's been asked before....)

So, 15yo ds could be a sophomore or a junior (so, could graduate 2020 or 2019). I'm registering him for the September ACT. I can't decide which grad date to put. If I keep it 2020, and he ends up graduating 2019, no one cares right?

And for the PSAT, - we either call him 2020 and if he by some chance got NMS, we could tell them he's actually a junior? Or we could call him a junior and if he makes it he makes it and if he doesn't he doesn't.

If it sounds like I'm rambling, yes, I kind of am. But if you can find my question in there, please feel free to answer it. :D

I'd go with 2020 - it's easier to push up a graduation than "delay" it a year. Well, it's true in my head. Reality might be different. :D

I also don't think they care. Colleges probably want to know when to start the bombardment.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

I'd go with 2020 - it's easier to push up a graduation than "delay" it a year. Well, it's true in my head. Reality might be different. :D

I also don't think they care. Colleges probably want to know when to start the bombardment.

That's been my thinking all along.  We're getting closer to making his grade skip official, but I guess I kind of want to see test scores first, so I'm thinking about hedging one more year.  

• Like 2

No, but we use nutritional yeast in place of cheese. What's the recipe?

This recipe is from minimalist baker:

3/4C cashews

3T nutritional yeast

3/4 tsp sea salt

1/4 tsp garlic

Pulse everything together. Use like parmesan cheese sprinkle. (I also saw a recipe that added smoked paprika.)

The harvesting of okra has been done, and we got a few tomatoes for tomorrow's grilled hamburgers. I'm supposed to make deviled eggs. I think I'll have to make a milder version of what I usually make, though. :D I've half a mind to do something with these extra hot peppers, but I'll wear gloves if I do!

The boys harvested some bulbs of Egyptian walking onion to plant. I weeded one more of the raised beds, and that makes three to mulch once we have the paper for it. I have one straw bale, and that ought to be enough for those three beds. That leaves me the asparagus bed to fight, and three small beds that don't need a whole lot of work. Then I'm done with all that.

What do you do to mulch your gardens?

• Like 1

***Educational post alert***  Actually, a question.

So, 15yo ds could be a sophomore or a junior (so, could graduate 2020 or 2019).  I'm registering him for the September ACT.  I can't decide which grad date to put.  If I keep it 2020, and he ends up graduating 2019, no one cares right?  

And for the PSAT, - we either call him 2020 and if he by some chance got NMS, we could tell them he's actually a junior?  Or we could call him a junior and if he makes it he makes it and if he doesn't he doesn't.  

If it sounds like I'm rambling, yes, I kind of am.  But if you can find my question in there, please feel free to answer it.   :D

Aaaack, educational post. Where's my safe space????  

I go with Susan's answer.
  • Like 2

I cleaned the 1950s one-car garage.  When we started our wall construction, it became the workshop.  Then it became the dump-everything-from-the-basement-spot so dh could drill holes and run wire.  Then someone left open the freezer door and it became the thawed meatball juice pool.  

Plus we already keep Everyone's shoes there (it doubles as a van garage and mudroom) and Everyone* felt it was not necessary to put shoes away, given the knee-deep mess already there. 

So it's clean again.  For now.

Entropy.  Bah.

*I am not Everyone.

• Like 8