Menu

Ignore this thread!

I went to a summer orchestra for college students/recent graduates. A friend of mine is playing and asked if I wanted to join them. And ds22 wanted to play, too. It was fun - we're playing Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony which is one of my favorites. It has the best ending to a symphony ever.

Did I tell y'all about how Tchaikovsky used to have nightmares of being chased by sharps and flats? Well, I think parts of this symphony must be his way of dealing with his demons. :D I need to sit closer to the music to catch them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHNGgrEYyA

(From 1974, but still one of the best. If you go to 43:00 you can hear the awesome ending. But just watching Bernstein conduct makes me a little giddy. :) He conducted without a score.)

You are so awesome, Susan!! I love that you do stuff like that. Bernstein is truly amazing. As was the ending to that piece. Tchaikovsky is one of my favorite composers. His music is so passionate.
  • Like 2

We are back from our Sunday School class party. It was a lot of fun. We've been pretty lonely for a long time and it feels good to be part of a group of people who like us and we feel comfortable with. The kids swam and then we had a big baseball game (everyone played - moms, dads and even little kids) and then had pizza. My dessert turned out all right. I got the recipe from FB. It was just terribly sweet and I hate desserts that are too sweet. Oh, and then we had a fireworks show.

• Like 7

Good Monday Morning!  

Puppy duty!  

Coffee!!

Angi - way to go!!

Susan, Can't wait to listen to the Tchaikovsky later today.

Paige, I can't believe you have bigger projects to get to after you painted multiple rooms.   :svengo: But I agree, decision making is hard - take it in little bits.

Hope everyone has a great day! 

• Like 3

Good morning. I slept better. I decided to just plan for insomnia to happen. Got all my clothes ready, set up my writing station in the dark kitchen, put my rough draft out, my favorite soft shirt, had the kettle ready to go and everything. I decided that the next time my mind gets me up at two, I have work for it to do. 

Needed none of it. We had a nice thunderstorm which soothed me, and I slept most of the night. Woke up at two as usual, but was able to get back to sleep in about thirty minutes.

• Like 7

I started a new bedtime routine with the boys. Because our bedtime routine had slowly disintegrated into chaos and it was affecting everyone's rest. We're 3 nights in and it's working amazingly well. Hooray!

Its the last week of our summer break. I must drink coffee and start getting the schoolroom put back together.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 8

One of these crazy little game chickens has decided to start sneaking out of the pen to build a nest in the garage. She has evidently been flying out every morning and goes into the garage where she appropriated a dog crate and started laying eggs in there. I suppose she felt it was safer to put her nest where the puppies are there to guard it all night for her. 

Silly bird.

• Like 6

I need to get started making the deviled eggs. That hen is going to be so mad when I take those eggs later today. I kind of hate doing it, because she's so set on raising a brood, but I won't be put in the position of deciding what to do with spare roosters.

• Like 3

DH just drank half my COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸. He doesn't drink COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸. But then he comes up and drinks half of mine every once in a while. I'm glad there's more in the pot.😃. He has off today. The plant is closed, so they all had to take a vacation day. We are going to partition off half of the school room with the Kallax unit I bought at IKEA to make a bedroom for DS2. He's been sleeping on the couch in there for about a year now. He and DS1 do not get along well, and DS2 can't stand sharing a bedroom. So, the new "bedroom" will be small, but he will have his bed and dresser and plenty of storage from the Kallax unit and that should help him out a bit.

• Like 7

DH just drank half my COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸. He doesn't drink COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸. But then he comes up and drinks half of mine every once in a while. I'm glad there's more in the pot.😃. He has off today. The plant is closed, so they all had to take a vacation day. We are going to partition off half of the school room with the Kallax unit I bought at IKEA to make a bedroom for DS2. He's been sleeping on the couch in there for about a year now. He and DS1 do not get along well, and DS2 can't stand sharing a bedroom. So, the new "bedroom" will be small, but he will have his bed and dresser and plenty of storage from the Kallax unit and that should help him out a bit.

My dad worked in a factory.  My parents always called it "the plant".  When I was a little girl I thought he worked as a gardener in a greenhouse.   :D

• Like 5

I have a similar problem I haven't figured out a solution for yet. Three boys in one room, but 11yo typically sleeps on chaise lounge in school room - and he's too big for it. Not sure if oldest going to college this fall will solve it or not.

Anyway, I like your plan!!

• Like 1

Tchaikovsky is one of my favorite composers. His music is so passionate.

Speaking of Tchaikovsky since some of you may hear the 1812 Overture in conjunction with fireworks tomorrow...

The 1812 Festival Overture was composed to commemorate the victory of the Russians over Napoleon in *their* war of 1812. He admitted to hating the piece but the Russian people loved it so much that it was continually requested to be performed at symphony concerts. It opens with the lovely Russian Orthodox "Holy Cross" (O Lord, Save Thy People). Then there is a bunch of development and Russian folk songs. At about 11:00 you can hear the horns and then low brass play the French national anthem and attacking cannons and then the strings play descending scales to represent the retreat of the French army. A restatement of the Holy Cross hymn is accompanied by church bells ringing in victory. It ends with a triumphant march, more cannons, and "God Save the Tsar".

• Like 7

Had Celery try Burning Cargo, and then stepped out for a minute to check Broccoli's answers for his Newsela article:

https://newsela.com/articles/america-ice-cream-favorite-treat/id/32210/

And, then I get back to Celery and he's using the wrong fingers for s and l, and apparently already managed to do d and k with the wrong fingers as well. Sigh. Found different website to practice d and k, had him do that some, and by the time I get back to my cookbook Broccoli's reading it. Now he's done, but I've got to check Celery's Newsela article (the one about cats conquering the world), and Broccoli wants to do "one of those writing things" (i.e. Burning Cargo). Obviously, I cannot look away for a second while a kid does a typing game, so, not sure I want to go there right now. Oh, and Broccoli has already whined "I'm bored" about a hundred times today (partly courtesy of him losing electronics time over being bratty last night). 

Anyhow, not even lunch time yet, and already  :svengo:

• Like 4

Speaking of Tchaikovsky since some of you may hear the 1812 Overture in conjunction with fireworks tomorrow...

The 1812 Festival Overture was composed to commemorate the victory of the Russians over Napoleon in *their* war of 1812. He admitted to hating the piece but the Russian people loved it so much that it was continually requested to be performed at symphony concerts. It opens with the lovely Russian Orthodox "Holy Cross" (O Lord, Save Thy People). Then there is a bunch of development and Russian folk songs. At about 11:00 you can hear the horns and then low brass play the French national anthem and attacking cannons and then the strings play descending scales to represent the retreat of the French army. A restatement of the Holy Cross hymn is accompanied by church bells ringing in victory. It ends with a triumphant march, more cannons, and "God Save the Tsar".

That song just gives me chills at the end. I get tears in my eyes with the canons, I don't know why. His music does that to me. The "Waltz of the Flowers" from the Nutcracker does that to me, and so does most of "Swan Lake".
  • Like 2

Educational Post - Reported!

Started Battle Cry with the kids. At first they whined, because writing, but now that they've found out that today they're just filling out a worksheet about what the protagonist of their story is going to be like, they're okay. Though Broccoli is still having a hard time with some of it (I wasn't sure whether to have him do it, but then he was saying he could maybe do it next month, or next week, or tomorrow, so I was like, okay, well, then let's just try it now). 

• Like 2

The manner of womanhood is upon me. :(

Coffee! :D

I'm behind on everything. :willy_nilly:

I started a new bedtime routine with the boys. Because our bedtime routine had slowly disintegrated into chaos and it was affecting everyone's rest. We're 3 nights in and it's working amazingly well. Hooray!

Its the last week of our summer break. I must drink coffee and start getting the schoolroom put back together.

Ours is devotional, fankful fings (family gratitude journal), nose boops, prayers, brush, floss, hair.

I did yoga. It was a little pathetic. I'm way out of shape.

YOGA IS HARD! Don't sell yourself short. What did you do? Edited by Slache
  • Like 3

I went to bed at seven and woke up at two. Per usual. Wide awake. Hips too painful for sleeping. So I got up, took some ibuprofen, and some Benedry (because also stuffed up) and got a head start on the grocery list. Got back to sleep maybe around five. At least this time I wasn't crying, because today I could take a nap if needed. And because I got five hours straight, which beats three. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'm still catching up.  I hope to read of more sleep snagged by you.  Crossed fingers.

• Like 1

I've only been up for ten minutes and I've already yelled at the dogs, made Mal cry, and stubbed my toe. I want to go back to bed and start over.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Was it on this thread or my tackle thread that someone mentioned lemon chicken? Anyway, that sounded so good that I just went to the store and got ingredients for that. And asparagus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was here. There have been several mentions of various renditions on this theme:

Lemon chicken

Lemon chicken tarragon soup

Lemon pepper chicken

Lemon garlic chicken

A request for a lemon cream sauce to put on a chicken and pasta dish

• Like 2

If would be if I had a connection speed that would allow me to shop. :glare:

The thing that really gets me about online clothes shopping (or even mail-order) is the cost of finding out it doesn't fit.  Even if places refund the purchase price and taxes the buyer often still has to pay shipping one or both ways.  It gets expensive to keep finding out that items don't work for me after all and having to return them.

I REALLY liked Coldwater Creek before they went belly-up and sold their name.  They would pay the shipping to return stuff, and if you had an actual store nearby (which we did get!) you could return online orders there, too.  Whoever bought the name kept the catalog design and stocks similar stuff, but they won't pay the return shipping and what I've seen of what my MIL ordered from them is more cheaply constructed.  I don't order from them anymore.

• Like 2

The manner of womanhood is upon me. :(

Coffee! :D

I'm behind on everything. :willy_nilly:

Ours is devotional, fankful fings (family gratitude journal), nose boops, prayers, brush, floss, hair.

YOGA IS HARD! Don't sell yourself short. What did you do?

It was a warrior yoga DVD that I have had for a while and this is the first time I actually did it. My body did not do the same things as theirs. Not even close. But I plan to keep doing it until I can somewhat resemble the same positions.

• Like 3

Though Broccoli is still having a hard time with some of it (I wasn't sure whether to have him do it, but then he was saying he could maybe do it next month, or next week, or tomorrow, so I was like, okay, well, then let's just try it now). 

"This is actually kind of fun!" - Broccoli. That said, we did 2 pages of protagonist worksheet and 1 page of buddies worksheet, and he got only one of the buddy descriptions done, and got stuck after that for the others... apparently he struggles with coming up with names for his characters and all that (struggled with deciding on the protagonist's name too). I told him to go take a break - maybe this will be easier later. Technically, for lesson 1 we're also supposed to use tan, green, or black folders and glue army-related pictures on them, but I don't have folders, so we didn't do that. But other than that, we finished lesson 1 pretty successfully (assuming Broccoli can come up with some more buddy names later).

• Like 3

Tell me what to do:  Dd got bit by a mosquito a couple of days ago.  It blew up yesterday to a diameter of three inches across and was still growing.  It is cellulitis.  I know that.  I'm 100% confident on that.  I had her slather it in tea tree oil last night.  Today the redness is less but  the diameter of swelling is still 3 inches.  Do I take her to the pediatrician for antibiotics or not? 

"This is actually kind of fun!" - Broccoli. That said, we did 2 pages of protagonist worksheet and 1 page of buddies worksheet, and he got only one of the buddy descriptions done, and got stuck after that for the others... apparently he struggles with coming up with names for his characters and all that (struggled with deciding on the protagonist's name too). I told him to go take a break - maybe this will be easier later. Technically, for lesson 1 we're also supposed to use tan, green, or black folders and glue army-related pictures on them, but I don't have folders, so we didn't do that. But other than that, we finished lesson 1 pretty successfully (assuming Broccoli can come up with some more buddy names later).

So, what kind of names is he looking for? rubbinghands.gif

Not that I'll be a whole lotta help, but there's smart people on this thread.

• Like 1

Tell me what to do:  Dd got bit by a mosquito a couple of days ago.  It blew up yesterday to a diameter of three inches across and was still growing.  It is cellulitis.  I know that.  I'm 100% confident on that.  I had her slather it in tea tree oil last night.  Today the redness is less but  the diameter of swelling is still 3 inches.  Do I take her to the pediatrician for antibiotics or not? 

Yes. Since you made me google cellulitis last night.

• Like 4

How are you holding up?

Meh.

But thank you for asking. :001_wub:

I'd go in.  But I am neurotic mom, so take that into consideration.

• Like 3

I once did a PBS yoga class. So hard! It was several days before I realized it was a yoga class for the elderly. :D

Try it again when you're old and see if it's easier?

It was a warrior yoga DVD that I have had for a while and this is the first time I actually did it. My body did not do the same things as theirs. Not even close. But I plan to keep doing it until I can somewhat resemble the same positions.

Is there good instruction? You need good instruction. Get this for the boys.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3