Menu

Ignore this thread!

Speaking of Tchaikovsky since some of you may hear the 1812 Overture in conjunction with fireworks tomorrow...

The 1812 Festival Overture was composed to commemorate the victory of the Russians over Napoleon in *their* war of 1812. He admitted to hating the piece but the Russian people loved it so much that it was continually requested to be performed at symphony concerts. It opens with the lovely Russian Orthodox "Holy Cross" (O Lord, Save Thy People). Then there is a bunch of development and Russian folk songs. At about 11:00 you can hear the horns and then low brass play the French national anthem and attacking cannons and then the strings play descending scales to represent the retreat of the French army. A restatement of the Holy Cross hymn is accompanied by church bells ringing in victory. It ends with a triumphant march, more cannons, and "God Save the Tsar".

This is such a fabulous piece.  There is a summer concert series that is held locally every year (People fly in from all over the world.  You should see the gazillion dollar private jets that land at our tiny municipal airport. :drool5: )  The symphony from Big City (well, for here) plays the Finale.  They played this as their closing piece a couple of years ago to fireworks over the moonrise above the lake.  A.MA.ZING.

• Like 3

The library books that I'd like to use for physics reading are the books in the Physics in Our World series by Kyle Kirkland. No experiments in them, and they were written in 2007, but they are approachable and fairly readable.

• Like 3

At least teaching high school is easy because by then the students are independent and self-motivated.

Of course! They promised this would happen and it's true! All true!

Please note that they don't mention the part that your reward for success will be your precious child into whom you've poured out your life will LEAVE YOU.

• Like 6

I taught 1 and a half students, did housework and had coffee. I still need to do art, teach the other half of John and have coffee. I really need to work out so I can try my new salted caramel recovery drink, but don't wanna.

• Like 2

***Educational post alert***  Actually, a question.

Before I go swimming in the seas (or search the seas, because I think it's been asked before....)

Tell me about "graduation date" for taking the ACT, PSAT, etc.  

So, 15yo ds could be a sophomore or a junior (so, could graduate 2020 or 2019).  I'm registering him for the September ACT.  I can't decide which grad date to put.  If I keep it 2020, and he ends up graduating 2019, no one cares right?  

And for the PSAT, - we either call him 2020 and if he by some chance got NMS, we could tell them he's actually a junior?  Or we could call him a junior and if he makes it he makes it and if he doesn't he doesn't.  

If it sounds like I'm rambling, yes, I kind of am.  But if you can find my question in there, please feel free to answer it.   :D

DD15 will be in 10th this next year.  I hadn't given a thought yet to ACT, SAT, PSAT....   :leaving:

Edited by AMJ

Please note that they don't mention the part that your reward for success will be your precious child into whom you've poured out your life will LEAVE YOU.

(((JJM))) We'll all come visit you because you clearly live in the most awesome place in the universe.

• Like 2

DD15 will be in 10th this next year.  I hadn't given a thought yet to ACT, SAT, PSAT....   :leaving:

Just do a free practice test.  If she is likely to qualify for National Merit, THEN do the PSAT prep thing.  Like, during the school year 15 minutes a day.  College Board has a SAT question of the day and Khan has free prep.

Generally, I don't think it's something to spend a lot of time on UNLESS you are aiming for National Merit.  Which might make it worth it.  Like, say you live in a state that gives a full-ride to the Univ. of State for finalists.  Then, yeah, I'd prep the bejeepers out of it.  Meaning 15 minutes a day.  Which isn't bad.  Ask me how I know.

• Like 2

I have weeded and done chores. I have managed to write about 300 words. My bed is, as of right now, unmade. But the sheets are clean. More chores have to be done early tonight.

I feel justified in having this week off of school, y'all.

• Like 4

(((JJM))) We'll all come visit you because you clearly live in the most awesome place in the universe.

I ran out of likes on this.  Seriously?  Is there no justice on this planet???? :svengo:

Thank you, Susan.  I haz the sadz today.  I tried to post a picture, but the site wouldn't let me post a jpeg and I don't know how to fix it.

And at least my animals love me.  My barn kitties have been by the front step twice already demanding treats.  Because they love me.  For my personality and startling good looks.

• Like 6

Just do a free practice test.  If she is likely to qualify for National Merit, THEN do the PSAT prep thing.  Like, during the school year 15 minutes a day.  College Board has a SAT question of the day and Khan has free prep.

Generally, I don't think it's something to spend a lot of time on UNLESS you are aiming for National Merit.  Which might make it worth it.  Like, say you live in a state that gives a full-ride to the Univ. of State for finalists.  Then, yeah, I'd prep the bejeepers out of it.  Meaning 15 minutes a day.  Which isn't bad.  Ask me how I know.

DS, 15, is prepping for 30 min every day to take a practice PSAT this fall of his 10th grade year. We're using Khan Academy. :)

• Like 1

Jean, the holiday tomorrow means if you're going to want to see the ped, today's the day, IMO.

I need barn kitties!  :001_tt1:   (Don't tell Her Fuzzy Majesty.)

Festival tomorrow. :patriot:  I'm hoping for moderate weather.

• Like 4

Jean, the holiday tomorrow means if you're going to want to see the ped, today's the day, IMO.

I need barn kitties!  :001_tt1:   (Don't tell Her Fuzzy Majesty.)

Festival tomorrow. :patriot:  I'm hoping for moderate weather.

In addition to cruising by the house a couple of times per day, they leave presents for me in the places I frequent.  This morning I got a dead mouse by the hose bib and a dead gopher on the path to poop pile. Ain't love grand?

(Oh, and I have a Queen in the house who is, in fact, napping next to me on her bed that takes up all the working space on my desk. :glare:   She copes with the existence of the barn kitties just fine - by pretending that they don't!)

• Like 4

It's a little early for wine, though, no? On the West Coast, anyway.

We swam at Auntie's. Dinner is leftovers. I'm chilling on the couch with the kitty.

#shouldbecleaning

After I got the first load of laundry started in the washer DH texted and asked if I would like to meet him for lunch at the new Japanese restaurant that opened VERY near us.  The kids are at Camp Grandma -- I jumped at the chance!  Then I ran a couple of errands, asked FIL why he texted saying he was on his way over (he texted me by mistake), and I came back here to catch up a little more.  SIL went home this morning, leaving some cousins at Camp Grandma.  Grandma & Grandpa will deliver those kids up north at the end of the week, and will likely bring down the other cousins for Camp next week.

I am not planning meals this week because I am not sure when we will be home.

I am not buying groceries until and unless I know we will actually eat the food I buy.

I am enjoying the peace and quiet, and not being quite as productive as I could be right now.

I did kick myself for forgetting one thing at the pharmacy -- I intended to get a tetanus shot.  It's been a good 15+ years since my last one....

• Like 5

I also need some kind of iced coffee recipes. I like my coffee sweet and milky white with cream, and if I go to a coffee shop, I get a caramel frap.

I now use monkfruit sweetener and coconut milk creamer or almond milk creamer.

Not fond of vanilla.

Give me some good recipes to try, please.

I haven't tried these, but they sound good:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frapp%C3%A9_coffee

http://www.lemonandolives.com/greek-frappe/

How does Poldark compare to Downton Abbey?  If I liked one would I like the other?

I did none of the things today. Church...nap....wandering aimlessly at new grocery store just because...dinner that I didn't cook...couch. That's about all.

I've finished the easy to do projects in my house. Now it's time to be motivated for the hard jobs. They are scary. So many boxes to sort through and Goodwill, throw away, put away...decisions to be made,....stuff to do! I think I'll just buy new color coded towels for everyone instead. That will simplify laundry and I can pretend to be productive. Or maybe I'll waste time by planting a window herb garden. 

Hmm, Poldark has better eye-candy, but Downton Abbey has the better-told story.

Lark Rise to Candleford is pretty good, and has DA's Brendan Coyle in it.  

I went to a summer orchestra for college students/recent graduates. A friend of mine is playing and asked if I wanted to join them. And ds22 wanted to play, too. It was fun - we're playing Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony which is one of my favorites. It has the best ending to a symphony ever.

Did I tell y'all about how Tchaikovsky used to have nightmares of being chased by sharps and flats? Well, I think parts of this symphony must be his way of dealing with his demons. :D I need to sit closer to the music to catch them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHNGgrEYyA

(From 1974, but still one of the best. If you go to 43:00 you can hear the awesome ending. But just watching Bernstein conduct makes me a little giddy. :) He conducted without a score.)

ARRRGH!!!!!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Good morning. I slept better. I decided to just plan for insomnia to happen. Got all my clothes ready, set up my writing station in the dark kitchen, put my rough draft out, my favorite soft shirt, had the kettle ready to go and everything. I decided that the next time my mind gets me up at two, I have work for it to do. 

Needed none of it. We had a nice thunderstorm which soothed me, and I slept most of the night. Woke up at two as usual, but was able to get back to sleep in about thirty minutes.

Ha! You called its bluff!

It was AMJ talking about emergency planning that did it. I figured I'd just hit it with some planning and see if that made it run and hide.

Good job!!!!

• Like 1

I stayed in bed half an hour late, prayed, and am halfway through a cuppa and no one is awake yet!! Sweeeeeet!

BUA! (BOO-ah) Gaelic for victory, talent, virtue

And yes, as soon as I typed this ds woke up. 🙄😉

That just figures, doesn't it?

DS and I have spent 3 hours cleaning his room. We are taking a break before heading back in. He's 15...you can maybe imagine how bad it was, but I'm starting to be able to picture the end.

Someone remind me every day to do an inspection so it never gets like that again! We're taking out a lot of stuff so hopefully it will be easier. And his room flooded with a pipe leak last week which made it worse than normal, but maybe easier too b/c it made some decisions to toss stuff obvious. 

If your DS was 16yrs older than baby DS would you save clothes and stuff? I'm thinking no, but it feels a little wasteful. I've set aside the high end brands and put the other stuff in a Goodwill pile.

• Like 5

One of these crazy little game chickens has decided to start sneaking out of the pen to build a nest in the garage. She has evidently been flying out every morning and goes into the garage where she appropriated a dog crate and started laying eggs in there. I suppose she felt it was safer to put her nest where the puppies are there to guard it all night for her. 

Silly bird.

Clever girl!

• Like 1

Oh, and the kids love the mechanical color pencils. Maybe love them a little too much. I like them too. 

I think I might have to have mechanical colored pencils.

I need to buy refills. 

Walmart has a limited selection of the pencils and refills.    :leaving:

• Like 2

Speaking of Tchaikovsky since some of you may hear the 1812 Overture in conjunction with fireworks tomorrow...

The 1812 Festival Overture was composed to commemorate the victory of the Russians over Napoleon in *their* war of 1812. He admitted to hating the piece but the Russian people loved it so much that it was continually requested to be performed at symphony concerts. It opens with the lovely Russian Orthodox "Holy Cross" (O Lord, Save Thy People). Then there is a bunch of development and Russian folk songs. At about 11:00 you can hear the horns and then low brass play the French national anthem and attacking cannons and then the strings play descending scales to represent the retreat of the French army. A restatement of the Holy Cross hymn is accompanied by church bells ringing in victory. It ends with a triumphant march, more cannons, and "God Save the Tsar".

Arghety argh argh argh!

Had Celery try Burning Cargo, and then stepped out for a minute to check Broccoli's answers for his Newsela article:

https://newsela.com/articles/america-ice-cream-favorite-treat/id/32210/

And, then I get back to Celery and he's using the wrong fingers for s and l, and apparently already managed to do d and k with the wrong fingers as well. Sigh. Found different website to practice d and k, had him do that some, and by the time I get back to my cookbook Broccoli's reading it. Now he's done, but I've got to check Celery's Newsela article (the one about cats conquering the world), and Broccoli wants to do "one of those writing things" (i.e. Burning Cargo). Obviously, I cannot look away for a second while a kid does a typing game, so, not sure I want to go there right now. Oh, and Broccoli has already whined "I'm bored" about a hundred times today (partly courtesy of him losing electronics time over being bratty last night). 

Anyhow, not even lunch time yet, and already  :svengo:

Grandma's favorite response to "I'm bored":  dusting assignments.

I'm not that nice.  Mine is toilet-cleaning assignments.

Was it on this thread or my tackle thread that someone mentioned lemon chicken? Anyway, that sounded so good that I just went to the store and got ingredients for that. And asparagus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yum!  

I once did a PBS yoga class. So hard! It was several days before I realized it was a yoga class for the elderly. :D

Yeah, those octogenarians have had decades of practice!  Of course it's hard!

• Like 3

Tell me what to do:  Dd got bit by a mosquito a couple of days ago.  It blew up yesterday to a diameter of three inches across and was still growing.  It is cellulitis.  I know that.  I'm 100% confident on that.  I had her slather it in tea tree oil last night.  Today the redness is less but  the diameter of swelling is still 3 inches.  Do I take her to the pediatrician for antibiotics or not? 

Wow, I bet that looks alarming!  I would probably take her in, just in case.

• Like 1