Menu

Ignore this thread!

I have made a deal with myself: I will only pay attention to that man in movies -- :drool5: as an actor! I will ignore his piloting aircraft because I disapprove of some of the things he has done there.

Well....yeah!! Generally, I try to ignore the fact that my actor crushes are real people because most of the time I don't like who they are as real people!
  • Like 1

My mother started and finished a quilt for my eldest sister.

She pieced together a quilt for me but did not quilt it.

She cut the pieces out for a quilt for my younger sister.

My youngest sister, #4, has nothing but a JoAnne's Fabrics bag containing yards of fabric.  

I'm noticing a pattern here...

• Like 3

I made my first and only quilt for Dancer about 10 years ago. It was the year of the housing crisis, and since dh is in construction, it affect us greatly. I had a book on "simple weekend" quilting projects, and asked for fabric on Freecycle. I was working, in grad school, and my time for working on the sewing projects was something like 11:30pm to 1:30 am. It took more than a weekend.  :svengo: It was more like two months. (I saw what was happening in construction and was preparing to have a $0 Christmas.) But, by golly, I finished it, and an apron made from a man's jean pant leg. Because desperation is a thing, ya'll.

Gymnast is already asking me to make some dresses for her. She saw some of the patterns I had that I made (or didn't) for Dancer. I keep thinking I need to make Gymnast a quilt since she turns 7 next year, and Dancer was 7 when I gifted hers. I'll see what my level of desperation is next year...

• Like 7

The interesting thing about Dancer's apron is, with the extra fabric from the quilt, I made a cupcake top with the pocket being the bottom of the cupcake. And she's now a baker!

I should figure out something for Gymnast...nah.

• Like 4

Bambi was my first theater movie. When it came out in 1975. Then I saw Star Wars in the theater in 1977 and commenced my 40 year long love affair with Harrison Ford.

Yes - this was me too.  (I think I've heard it said that we were taken to Mary Poppins in theatre - don't know what year, but I don't really remember it.)

• Like 2

Good (early) Saturday Morning!

Puppy woke up a little early this morning.  Dh and I tag-teamed it, so I sent him back to bed.  

14yo dd is home from camp, had a great time, did amazing crazy things (high wire obstacle course, cave kayaking, etc, etc,).  I'd like to keep this version of her - very spunky.

Gotta get the day rolling....  Hope everyone has a good one!

(((Ikslo)))  Hope you're feeling better!

(((Tech Support)))  Hope the pain meds and milk shakes go down smoothly and stay down! 

• Like 8

Well....yeah!! Generally, I try to ignore the fact that my actor crushes are real people because most of the time I don't like who they are as real people!

Yeah, pretty much.  I do feel safe with Angela Lansbury, though.  Haven't heard much negative stuff about her.  And I really liked her as a bad girl in Mutiny.   :laugh:

• Like 1

Well, she's a gymnast. I could put feet on...something. Or just toes...https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4NamhHZHR0d0hacW8/view?usp=sharing

You need to come sing songs to my kids. Speaking of which, I need to go pick them up now, and then it will be over 2 weeks before they'll go to (day) camp. Part of me wants to sign them up for another camp the last week of summer... and part of me is like "nooo... we should use that money for other stuff".

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Saturday!!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

IKEA trip!! (We obviously didn't go last Saturday,but we're going today!!! I'm taking oldest DD and DS2 with me. Should be a fun trip)

DD found all my Starbucks gift cards and has planned for multiple stops. She obviously takes after her mother. I don't know why I have so many Starbucks cards accumulated. Well, I guess I know. I hate the place. Over-priced and I don't go for trendy, even with a gift card.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

Good morning!

I have not ketcheupped yet - haven't been able to get online since yesterday afternoon and now I have to get ready fast and get to Aldi.

Have fun at Ikea, Krissi! Don't forget our loot! Don't eat the meatballs! :D

For ikslo:

An Ode to Coffee

By Kristen

Coffee!

You make me happy!

I am happy

With my coffee.

A bit of sweetener and half and half.

My day is complete!

Coffee!

And:

A poem for mornings.

Coffee, coffee, coffee,

Coffee.

Coffee, coffee,

Everyone shut up.

Coffee.

(Who wrote this one? Spudz?)

• Like 6

14yo dd is home from camp, had a great time, did amazing crazy things (high wire obstacle course, cave kayaking, etc, etc,).  I'd like to keep this version of her - very spunky.

Yay for bravery!

Weird note:  My child will climb ANY interior structure (i.e., a 4-story ropes course) with alacrity, but she CANNOT handle outside courses.  She gets up to the first base and freezes. :huh:

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Saturday!!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

IKEA trip!! (We obviously didn't go last Saturday,but we're going today!!! I'm taking oldest DD and DS2 with me. Should be a fun trip)

DD found all my Starbucks gift cards and has planned for multiple stops. She obviously takes after her mother. I don't know why I have so many Starbucks cards accumulated. Well, I guess I know. I hate the place. Over-priced and I don't go for trendy, even with a gift card.

Ooo, this could be much fun!  Start brainstorming weird names, then you can have the baristas calling out, "Rumpestiltskin!," "Mary Poppins!," "Spongebob Squarepants!"  It'd be great!

• Like 4

(((JJM)))

Come help me mess up some dirt and call it gardening!

:001_wub:

Maybe I'll get some kind of travel trailer and go on the road visiting.  Do you think I could fit 2 dogs, 3 cats, and 2 horses into a smallish travel trailer?

• Like 2

Good morning!

I have not ketcheupped yet - haven't been able to get online since yesterday afternoon and now I have to get ready fast and get to Aldi.

Have fun at Ikea, Krissi! Don't forget our loot! Don't eat the meatballs! :D

For ikslo:

An Ode to Coffee

By Kristen

Coffee!

You make me happy!

I am happy

With my coffee.

A bit of sweetener and half and half.

My day is complete!

Coffee!

And:

A poem for mornings.

Coffee, coffee, coffee,

Coffee.

Coffee, coffee,

Everyone shut up.

Coffee.

(Who wrote this one? Spudz?)

We really need to publish someday, ya know?   :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 3

For a very popular coffee shop, Starbucks has horrible coffee. They get away with it by covering the taste with sugar and whipped cream.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

One of my friends uses their single-serve packets of instant coffee -- works well when out in the field.  Single-serve instant would suit me fine (as rare as I tend to drink coffee), so I tried some (decaf) with plenty of creamer and some sweetener.  I then tried some Taster's Choice instant (also decaf) when that was all I could find.  Surprise surprise -- I can handle a dose or two per day of the Taster's Choice several days in a row.  Trying to do that with the Starbuck's has me writhing in agony.

Maybe it's THEIR coffee and not all coffee in general that upsets my stomach.

• Like 1

When we go to the Big City, we spring for pricey coffee at Dutch Bros.  I am just completely in awe of whoever is in charge of their customer service.  I have-no joke-never, ever had an experience that wasn't excellent.  For me, it's like an experiment every time.  (My folks owned their own business from the time I was something like 7 or 8 years old, so I'm really aware of the operations side of businesses when I shop.  I'm kinda weird.  Big shocker, eh?)

• Like 1

Yay for bravery!

Weird note: My child will climb ANY interior structure (i.e., a 4-story ropes course) with alacrity, but she CANNOT handle outside courses. She gets up to the first base and freezes. :huh:

You know those big steel u-frame swing sets at parks? My son climbs them. The other day he was walking across the top, like it was a tightrope. I went back to ignoring. I'm a great mom. :leaving:

Actually, I did tell him to stop. Later. But only when he came over for water. See, we go for vacation soon and dad would be a bit miffed if he broke his leg or landed himself in the hospital right before vacation, kwim? But I didn't say no, just that I'd prefer he didn't do that, and don't do it with kids under him. I probably should tell him no. I love watching people's expressions though when they see him doing it. What? You've never seen a crazy kid climb a swing set before?

Like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=walking+across+top+of+swing+set&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQ7eaFpujUAhVKdT4KHU0JChgQ_AUICSgB&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=BaHJXDFrcQWNkM:

But on this: https://www.google.com/search?q=u-frame+commercial+swing+set+heavy+duty&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjd5vSepejUAhUIVj4KHSuICMcQ_AUICigC&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=rcpEHi3hK_ruzM:

I'll take a picture next time. ;)

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 5

You know those big steel u-frame swing sets at parks? My son climbs them. The other day he was walking across the top, like it was a tightrope. I went back to ignoring. I'm a great mom. :leaving:

Actually, I did tell him to stop. Later. But only when he came over for water. See, we go for vacation soon and dad would be a bit miffed if he broke his leg or landed himself in the hospital right before vacation, kwim? But I didn't say no, just that I'd prefer he didn't do that, and don't do it with kids under him. I probably should tell him no. I love watching people's expressions though when they see him doing it. What? You've never seen a crazy kid climb a swing set before?

Like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=walking+across+top+of+swing+set&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQ7eaFpujUAhVKdT4KHU0JChgQ_AUICSgB&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=BaHJXDFrcQWNkM:

But on this: https://www.google.com/search?q=u-frame+commercial+swing+set+heavy+duty&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjd5vSepejUAhUIVj4KHSuICMcQ_AUICigC&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=rcpEHi3hK_ruzM:

I'll take a picture next time. ;)

Just teach him how to fall safely. :D

I've also been...blessed...with brave children. :/

• Like 2

He's got incredible balance to back up his bravado.

I asked what he would do if he fell. He said, catch myself, or jump and roll. I said what if you smack your head and black out, or land wrong and end up with a broken bone sticking out of your leg? He said, call an ambulance.

"Mom, it's so much fun!"

Adrenaline junkie. That's what I have on my hands.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 2

I don't remember what my first movie theater movie was (because Daddy took us to all the Disney ones, like That Darn Cat and Escape from Witch Mountain, etc.), but my first one with a boy was Grease!

My first movie in a theater was Bambi when I was 3 (re-release, not 1940s!). I fell asleep and was probably 10 before I learned what happened at the end. I'm glad I didn't know because I loved it so much. 

My dad took me and my sister to see Bambi, too!  (Now I'll have to check to see if this was before Grease.)

Anyway, my dad fell asleep.  My sister and I had to wake him up when it was over.   :)

My first movie was Lady and the Tramp. It was reissued to theaters in 1986, so that totally screws up my memory that I was 3. I definitely remember that dad and I were at the mall and my dad let me go to the bathroom by myself. (The theater was packed and I think Dad was trying to save our seats. It was a small theater and the bathrooms were very close by.)

I remember this because 1) I couldn't find him again because the movie started and 2) I missed the beginning of the movie...which this is probably why I HATE getting there any later than 15 minutes before. 

I finally did find him - I just didn't walk down far enough. 

Also, I immediately told mom when I got home and Dad got in big trouble. lol 

It's actually amazing that I got to see a movie when I was a child. My dad, who was born in the early 20's believed that theaters were dens of iniquity that "proper" people did not frequent.

I went to a very conservative high school. For "sex ed" in 8th grade, we had to read "the pink book" - Sex, Love and Romance. It was an A Beka book, so you can imagine the "interesting" ideas pertaining to any of that. 

Anyway, one thing I specifically remember was the "public viewing house" portion. Your dad would have agreed with what was said, I think.

All of us 8th graders? Well, first off, we had no idea what a "public viewing house" was. I first thought it was a strip club, but then it started talking about movies, so we all then assumed theaters. So, we all made a plan to go see a movie together. We were such rebels. :001_rolleyes: Since then, we always joke about the 11th commandment - "Thou shalt not go to the public viewing house." 

• Like 6

I went to a very conservative high school. For "sex ed" in 8th grade, we had to read "the pink book" - Sex, Love and Romance. It was an A Beka book, so you can imagine the "interesting" ideas pertaining to any of that. 

Anyway, one thing I specifically remember was the "public viewing house" portion. Your dad would have agreed with what was said, I think.

All of us 8th graders? Well, first off, we had no idea what a "public viewing house" was. I first thought it was a strip club, but then it started talking about movies, so we all then assumed theaters. So, we all made a plan to go see a movie together. We were such rebels. :001_rolleyes: Since then, we always joke about the 11th commandment - "Thou shalt not go to the public viewing house." 

What I always thought was weird was that my dad loved to watch movies on tv once we got a tv  (Yes, I remember life before we had a tv.  We got our black and white specifically to watch the moon landing.)  So he wasn't against movies themselves.  It was the public viewing house.  I always figured it was a quirk of his generation and more particularly his austere farmhouse upbringing. 

• Like 4

Captain Mal is fearless. It's not that he doesn't realize what he's doing is dangerous, because before he does it you can see him pause and think about the best way to approach it. Then he just up and does it anyway. I guess I should be grateful that he does the risk assessment at all. 

• Like 4

One of my friends uses their single-serve packets of instant coffee -- works well when out in the field. Single-serve instant would suit me fine (as rare as I tend to drink coffee), so I tried some (decaf) with plenty of creamer and some sweetener. I then tried some Taster's Choice instant (also decaf) when that was all I could find. Surprise surprise -- I can handle a dose or two per day of the Taster's Choice several days in a row. Trying to do that with the Starbuck's has me writhing in agony.

Maybe it's THEIR coffee and not all coffee in general that upsets my stomach.

It's the Starbucks. I know a guy who had stomach problems for years and when he stopped drinking their coffee, his stomach problems went away. He can drink other brands of coffee fine.

• Like 1

In my mind, Dutch apple pie has a crumbly topping - it must be Pennsylvania Dutch I was thinking about. And all apple pies, sauces, butters, etc. should be made with at least 3 varieties of apple. Duh. :D

The first and second movies I saw in a theater were Run For Your Life, Charlie Brown and Pete's Dragon; I'm not sure which was first. My sister and I did a lot of begging and pleading to be allowed to go.

I'm back from Aldi and Kroger - Kroger has unsweetened coconut milk and Aldi only carries sweetened. Did I tell you all that I've decided to have us go dairy free for July instead of gluten free? Mainly because I know there are milk allergies all over the place and we might as well start with what we know. The kids already drink coconut milk, but I am eliminating the other dairy stuff - sour cream, butter, cheese, yogurt. The kids don't know yet - we'll see how long it takes ds12 to go into a panic over the absence of cheese. :D

Have to get the rest of everything put away. Then I'll see to planting that mint and cilantro.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Captain Mal is fearless. It's not that he doesn't realize what he's doing is dangerous, because before he does it you can see him pause and think about the best way to approach it. Then he just up and does it anyway. I guess I should be grateful that he does the risk assessment at all.

This. I agree.

What I always thought was weird was that my dad loved to watch movies on tv once we got a tv  (Yes, I remember life before we had a tv.  We got our black and white specifically to watch the moon landing.)  So he wasn't against movies themselves.  It was the public viewing house.  I always figured it was a quirk of his generation and more particularly his austere farmhouse upbringing. 

Nope. Not a quirk. It's still prevalent particularly in independent fundamental Baptist churches. Yes, this is a generalization as I grew up in a church that didn't ban theaters. However, I see them more than not. My best friend married into a church and they can't go to theaters "because people could see us and wonder what we are going to watch." 

Umm, but you can rent from Redbox? 

Yes. 

Couldn't they wonder what you are renting? And, really, Redbox has some more evil and dirty movie than the theaters.

**crickets**

I've never understood the logic because it's really no one's business but your own and if they are that concerned about what you do, then they can just repent for being nosy and judgmental. lol Needless to say, my friend and I do not see eye to eye on a lot at all. 

• Like 3

How are your books and the tablet, Slache?

I haven't turned the tablet on. :leaving: MOST of the books are fine, including *my* Bible. :001_wub: One of my Jewish bibles is stained but okay. They were stacked by size and the bottom one is toast, but it was a hand me down and will be cheap to replace.

Thanks for caring!

i guess I should clean something. :(

I'll make a list. Edited by Slache
  • Like 9